Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 80

Thread: Trade David West

  1. #26

    Default Re: Trade David West

    West's value to other teams will decline because of his age faster than his ability. Getting some pieces for him now makes sense rather than wait until later. West and Hibbert are so slow in the front court that without Lance and Paul it is going to be much more obvious.
    If things continue to go the way they are going it is unlikely that West or Hibbert will be pacers in 2 years anyway. PG will be out a year and his first year back he will be getting back into playing shape but not yet the player we know now.
    If we stand pat then IMO our season goes the way Hill goes.

  2. #27
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Trade David West

    West is my favorite player on the team - he and PG, but I think if you are Bird you have to look into everything. I wouldn't be opposed to trading West, as long as it is with the goal being to be the best team as possible for 2016 when PG returns.

    But I don't want to trade him for just trade sake

  3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  4. #28

    Default Re: Trade David West

    I love David and wish he would finish his career with us. Even if we retool and go younger I'd still want West's leadership on the team.

    I know it may not be the best business, but I would only trade West for an offer of ridiculously high value.

  5. #29
    Member sam kaiserblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Trade David West

    The Pacers should be in no hurry to do anything. See how things play out. If they are out of contention near the trade deadline, make some deals.

  6. #30
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,546
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why?
    Yeah, I don't know what is so "crazy" about this thread. After something like this happens I am sure this question, as well as many others, will be posed in Pacers meeting rooms.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  8. #31
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Trade David West

    West trade value likely would only increase near the trade deadline. His contract will only have 1 year left at that point and the contending teams might need West a need they either don't have now or don't realize they will have in February.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  10. #32
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,753

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    The worst thing to do would be to trade him for middling talent that has multiple years on their contracts. West's contract coming off of the books in 2016 will be very nice if he's still around. Only trade West if you get some nice young talent in return that you cannot pass on, but don't trade him for "meh" vets. He can help PG win in 2015-16, then we can either sign him for really cheap after that and/or move on and use his cap space on a nice free agent (i.e. the method we used to get him in the first place).

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Why would OKC want West when they have Ibaka? Make no sense to have 12 Million in a back up PF. LOL.
    Hibbert would be the trade to make in the situation with OKC.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  13. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one word about all threads like this: asinine


    I am sure some posters favoring the idea of trading West feel that way simply out of respect for him, and with the wish he mlght get a better chance at a title in his remaining productive years.

    Of course, the hope is also that the Pacers might get some young talent in return who would be able to help the team once Paul returns.

    Other than disagreeing with His Majesty, what is asinine about it?

  14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:


  15. #35
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,112
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's his subjective opinion to which he's entitled. I see no reason why his opinion should be qualified as absurd, even though
    I do not agree with the entirety of it (although I do think we screwed Danny over and he deserved better not to mention our decision bit us in the *ss and, yes,
    I too do realize it's a business).
    So we are allowed to disagree but not passionately disagree with it? It is absurd. To think that it is "karma" that the Pacers deserve losing their best player because they traded Danny Granger. Just like it is karma for the Colts to lose Luck for releasing Manning?

    It is absurd.

    Now it is not absurd to think that trading Danny away and getting a negative resource in Evan Turner, brought about the consequences of us grumbling. I disagree that it is the sole reason we played horribly later in the year.

  16. #36
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would OKC want West when they have Ibaka? Make no sense to have 12 Million in a back up PF. LOL.
    Hibbert would be the trade to make in the situation with OKC.
    West is a much better fit for OKC. Ibaka's strength is defensive. Although he is trying to develope an offensive game, that's is still the Thunders greatest need. West's offense would mean more to them than Roy who is also a primarily defensive presence.

    Plus, I value Roy for our team moving forward. He is a cornerstone of our franchise IMO and I don't see a realistic package that OKC would put together to sway me to trade him.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Trade David West

    I think many of the people who would want to trade West aren't that way because they think he's not valuable. He absolutely is. He's very valuable in any system, but he's especially ideal for a contender or a young team trying to make the leap. The Pacers are just neither of those this year, and they don't have much flexibility next offseason either. He would still have value to the Pacers, but other teams who are trying to win it all this year would potentially give pieces up that would be even more valuable for the Pacers in the future.

    The problem is matching salaries. Houston would absolutely love West, but they traded away every salary they had. OKC as mentioned above has potential, but both teams are close enough to the luxury tax that it would complicate the deal. GS might be willing to do a Lee+Barnes for West+Mahinmi+? (some cheap salary to try to match salaries better). Charlotte's another team that might covet West and have some young assets to give up, but matching salaries would be difficult.

    One other scenario is to try to convince Cleveland that adding West and keeping Wiggins is better than trading for Love. They could potentially get Bennett+Waiters for West+Watson.

    On emotion, I would love to keep West. The way the roster is shaking out though, it would seem to make more sense to trade him. The Pacers only have two rotation players under 27 right now (George and Hill) with none really on the way. For a roster that isn't going to win the title this year, that's starting to be a little scary.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:


  19. #38

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Ya'll being a little rough on Larry, aren't you? If I understand him correctly, he felt the team got what they deserved for shafting DG with the way the team lost it's way, not the injury to PG!
    Able does not like trade ideas in the regular forum area, he prefers trade scenarios to be under the Trade heading, IIRC.
    Trade West and pieces for Love. That let's us screw Cleveland, Love and the T-Wolves. Send Love to the Lakers at the deadline for a Steve Nash bobblehead.

  20. #39
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    ....ugh. Minnesota is not trading Kevin Love for David West....

    likewise, you do not want Waiters and Bennett. Waiters has all the signs of being a Stuckey clone and Bennett just isn't very good. Of course the Cavs would take it, because it would essentially be a donation.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  21. #40
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Trade David West

    You really only trade DWest for a player you think can be a starter in the 2015 or 16 season, imo. I think that should have been the only move you made with him next year, anyway, if you weren't contending, prior to PG going down. I wonder if his agent will ask for a trade now, though.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  23. #41
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would OKC want West when they have Ibaka? Make no sense to have 12 Million in a back up PF. LOL.
    Hibbert would be the trade to make in the situation with OKC.
    Ibaka can move to 5 when West is in. He's 6'10" with a ridiculous wingspan. They could use West's offense and leadership.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:


  25. #42
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is matching salaries. Houston would absolutely love West, but they traded away every salary they had.
    Houston is still slightly under the cap, but more importantly they have a bunch of unguaranteed contracts acquired precisely for salary matching. The numbers can be made to work, if desired.

    Agree with the main points in your post.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  27. #43
    Member sav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    266

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think many of the people who would want to trade West aren't that way because they think he's not valuable. He absolutely is. He's very valuable in any system, but he's especially ideal for a contender or a young team trying to make the leap. Houston would absolutely love West
    Houston doesn't have anyone that I would be interested in. Too bad they didn't match the Parsons offer.

  28. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastside
    Posts
    42
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    I agree that David West has earned the right to determine his own future. He has been the heart and soul of this team since he arrived. If he wants to stay, let him stay. If he wants a trade, you trade him. I know he's stated previously that he wants to retire a Pacer, I wonder if the PG injury changes that? If winning a ring with the Pacers was part of the agenda as far as wanting to retire here?

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew46229 For This Useful Post:


  30. #45

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to see David West win a ring before he retires. After Friday night, his odds of that are slim with the Pacers. I would send him to OKC. D-West for Reggie Jackson, K-Perk's expiring contract, and a first. Makes a lot of sense for both teams IMO.
    Why is that a good trade from Oklahoma's perspective? Westbrook is not exactly an ironman, and thus they need Jackson. (edit, I see that others asked & answered that, but I don't buy the answers!)

    An overpriced expiring and a first rounder is what we'd get for DW,
    not an overpriced expiring plus a first rounder plus a really good player.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  31. #46
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is that a good trade from Oklahoma's perspective? Westbrook is not exactly an ironman, and thus they need Jackson. (edit, I see that others asked & answered that, but I don't buy the answers!)

    An overpriced expiring and a first rounder is what we'd get for DW,
    not an overpriced expiring plus a first rounder plus a really good player.
    OKC's first rounder has very little value, it will be 26-30.

    It's a good trade for OKC because they're going to have trouble matching Reggie Jackson as he heads into restricted free agency next year. Durant + Westbrook + Ibaka = $50 mil. D-West gives them a legit big man scoring option without a longterm deal who can help put them over the top. We could (and might as well) throw CJ Watson into the deal to give them some extra insurance.

  32. #47

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew46229 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that David West has earned the right to determine his own future. He has been the heart and soul of this team since he arrived. If he wants to stay, let him stay. If he wants a trade, you trade him. I know he's stated previously that he wants to retire a Pacer, I wonder if the PG injury changes that? If winning a ring with the Pacers was part of the agenda as far as wanting to retire here?
    I don't get that West has earned the right to determine his own future. He is well paid for his efforts and the pacers FO has to do what benefits the team and the fans in the short and long run.

  33. #48
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Generally, you want to do right by a respected veteran. It's good for the image of the organization.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  35. #49
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,631

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Generally, you want to do right by a respected veteran. It's good for the image of the organization.
    If he wants out of the possibility of spending a year with a Team that will likely be a Playoff Bubble Team...and not likely a real contender....I have no problem with accommodating his wishes.

    But the impression that I get is that West is not the type to "cut out" when "the going gets tough".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  37. #50

    Default Re: Trade David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Generally, you want to do right by a respected veteran. It's good for the image of the organization.
    Interestingly the pacers did not do right by Granger whom they owed more than West given that Granger was a pacer alot longer. But you can't say it's a business on the one hand which everyone seems to understand and then not maximize the trade value of a respected veteran.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •