Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade David West

Default Trade David West

I know that we are all still in shock about PG's injury, I have been sick to my stomach and got no sleep last night. I feel so bad for him. We obviously aren't gonna do much next year, we could still be a 7th or 8th seed in the East but I'm not counting on it. One thing I think we need to do however is trade West. West has 2 years left on his deal, but I say he has 1 good year left. What I think we should do is trade West while his value is still high. Not only does that help for the long run but it also makes sure that PG doesn't try to rush back before West retires. The more time off for PG the better.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Trade David West

Trade him while his value is high? What exactly do you expect to get for him?
    I wouldn't trade the best free agent that has signed here over the last 10 years for some scrub or a mid-late draft pick...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you trade West, probably should trade Scola too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think the Pacers owe David a meeting to discuss where we are currently at and what he wants out of the remaining years of his career.

If he wants to remain with the team I am happy to have him. If he wants a chance at a ring this season I can respect that and would be open to moving him. For everything he has given us we owe him the right to have a say in his destiny.
    Last edited by joew8302; 08-02-2014 at 02:50 PM.

7. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I think the Pacers owe David a meeting to discuss where we are currently at and what he wants out of the remaining years of his career.

If he wants to remain with the team I am happy to have him. If he wants a chance at a ring this season I can respect that and would be open to moving him. For everything he has given us we owe him to right to have a say in his destiny.
    I agree 100 percent.

Right now isn't the time to trade anybody. Play things out to begin the year and wait and see where we are around the trade deadline. Best we could possibly get anyway would be expiring scrubs or bad draft picks.

If he wants to remain with the team I am happy to have him. If he wants a chance at a ring this season I can respect that and would be open to moving him. For everything he has given us we owe him the right to have a say in his destiny.
    Totally agree. While I think Bird has done a phenomenal job, he did screw over Granger. I understood his decision & at least semi-agreed with it. It made basketball sense. It was also a bit cutthroat & I can't help but shake a feeling of we got we deserved with the team's collapse last year. After Danny gave us all of his prime on horrible teams he deserved to enjoy the ride we were on with his brothers for his final contract year with us. I'm all for getting better but not at the price of screwing someone ever again.

I know it's a business, he was paid, & blah, blah. The fact that I had to pause & ask myself if this was right when it happened means it wasn't.

I'm all for trading West if he desires a trade. He may not. Either way you keep it out of the media, so hands aren't forced & offers aren't poor.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to larry For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe so, but the guess here is that West won't want to go anywhere. He doesn't strike me as the type to run away from adversity. He's the heart and soul of this team and he knows it. He isn't going to abandon them when they need him the most. It's times like this when having a true pro like David West is invaluable.

13. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

^ This is utterly ridiculous. The Pacers did not "get what they deserved" because they traded the ghost of 1 time All Star Danny freaking Granger.

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Id prefer to keep David here. As far as I know and can remember, he's the only person on the team who has experienced a comeback from a devastating injury. That experience is going to be valuable as Paul recovers and regains his confidence in his leg IMO.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Maybe so, but the guess here is that West won't want to go anywhere. He doesn't strike me as the type to run away from adversity. He's the heart and soul of this team and he knows it. He isn't going to abandon them when they need him the most. It's times like this when having a true pro like David West is invaluable.
    Agreed. I would be thrilled to have him back. I just think we owe it to him to ask where his mind is.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    ^ This is utterly ridiculous. The Pacers did not "get what they deserved" because they traded the ghost of 1 time All Star Danny freaking Granger.
    This. I believe trading Granger had more negative effects than just losing his playing ability, but to say this is what the Pacers "deserved" for it is absurd.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

It's his subjective opinion to which he's entitled. I see no reason why his opinion should be qualified as absurd, even though
    I do not agree with the entirety of it (although I do think we screwed Danny over and he deserved better not to mention our decision bit us in the *ss and, yes,
    I too do realize it's a business).
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

not sure he would bring back anything of substance. he's a fan favorite and still productive. no reason to cut bait with him..

yet.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

His game ages extremely well. Why trade him? He only has 2 years left anyway.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    His game ages extremely well. Why trade him? He only has 2 years left anyway.
    because we arent gonna win anything 2 years without a fully healthy PG, it is too early to tell when he will be back. So maybe try and get some young/good prospects that we can develop in 1-2 years when PG returns. Someone like Reggie Jackson comes to mind

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

West probably has decent value to teams at the top of the food chain. Houston, Golden State, OKC and San Antonio come to mind. Miami would likely have interest as well, albeit nothing of value to give.

It really depends on Paul's prognosis at the deadline. If he looks like he's going to be back in 12 months, may as well hold on to West for the 2016 season.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

I want to see David West win a ring before he retires. After Friday night, his odds of that are slim with the Pacers. I would send him to OKC. D-West for Reggie Jackson, K-Perk's expiring contract, and a first. Makes a lot of sense for both teams IMO.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

I'll add that we could re-sign West in two years to finish his career in Indy if everything worked out ideally.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    I want to see David West win a ring before he retires. After Friday night, his odds of that are slim with the Pacers. I would send him to OKC. D-West for Reggie Jackson, K-Perk's expiring contract, and a first. Makes a lot of sense for both teams IMO.
    Hell if they would do that trade I'd almost be willing to do it even if Paul didn't get injured.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    I wouldn't like trading one of my favorite Pacers ever, but damn, that trade does make sense for both teams (and is realistic). That's a really good suggestion.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Why are some people all of a sudden acting like West has ever given them any sort of reason to think that he's all about the ringzzz? We gonna ignore him picking us over Boston?

I think this kind of challenge is exactly what he'd relish.

one word about all threads like this: asinine

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Why are some people all of a sudden acting like West has ever given them any sort of reason to think that he's all about the ringzzz? We gonna ignore him picking us over Boston?

I think this kind of challenge is exactly what he'd relish.
    West picking us over Boston was about the rings. Look at where Boston's at now. He knew KG and Pierce didn't have much left in the tank and we were up-and-coming. All NBA players want to win a ring, especially ones with as much passion as D-West. The best outcome of this challenge he's relishing will be squeaking into the playoffs. I'd rather see him play a key role on OKC's championship run than lose to Cleveland or Chicago in the first round. And I'd rather see the Pacers develop Reggie Jackson and get a lottery pick.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's terribly tragic the way all of this has unfolded. D-West is one of my favorite Pacers of all-time. Trading him to a contender for a young player and/or picks is just, in my opinion, the best move for all parties involved.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    one word about all threads like this: asinine

Why?

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post: