Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 180 Turn: 2014-2015 Season Expectations and Thoughts

Default Re: 180 Turn: 2014-2015 Season Expectations and Thoughts

I will get Larry Bird's face tattooed on my *** if we make the playoffs without Paul. This team sucks now.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will get Larry Bird's face tattooed on my *** if we make the playoffs without Paul. This team sucks now.
    We will see. You didn't even have to be .500 to make it last season.

If the Pacers can use the injured player exemption which would be MLE money for a non LT team, who is available?

Does this exemption salary count towards making the Pacers a LT paying team?

Sports Logo

screenshotted for posterity

http://i.imgur.com/seRSwWB.jpg
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Does this exemption salary count towards making the Pacers a LT paying team?
    yes, which is why they probably won't even bother applying for it
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-02-2014 at 03:56 PM.

I had you winning about 50 with him and figure losing him's worth 10-15 games. If it's 10 you might get there, 15 probably won't. I wouldn't pick you to make it but it wouldn't shock me either.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I am holding my thoughts right now about the Pacers and next season until I can process a few things.

But the one thing I am just getting tired of is people disrespecting the east as though it is a total crapfest. Yes the beginning of last season was putrid for the East (coincidentally that is the time the pacers were at their best) but as the season progressed there were some teams that started to gel and get better. Obviously the Nets will not be the same but they have every bit as much talent as we do and I think they improved on their coaching.

But the Hawks, Raptors, Wizards, Bulls were all going to be good going into this season no matter what. The Hawks now will have Horford back to their potent mix. The Raptors stood pat and are hoping for improvement from within, which is funny because a lot of pacer fans say this every year that our team will improve but yet never want to give credit for another team doing the same. The Wizards lost Ariza and gained Pierce, this may hurt them or it may not we won't know till the season plays out. All I know is that Bradley Beal is going to be the best 2 guard in the NBA sometime soon probably. The Bulls were a tough team with a group of nobody's last year, this year they add Gasol and we'll see how he does but a semi healthy Rose escalates them to the upper tier.

This does not even include the Cavs who nobody can argue will improve, the Bobcats who were already tough last season who will improve.

That is six teams right there that were already going to be teams that we had to be careful of even if Paul George was healthy.

Also who is to say that the magic don't come together this year and fight for the 8th seed or here is a real long shot but what if Jabari Parker is as good as advertised, could he jump the Bucks from dead last to the 8-10 territory? I'm sure Kstat & Shags would probably also like to talk about the Pistons as well.

I'm not saying these teams are all better than us but I think some of us have been using blue and gold colored glasses when evaluating every other team in the east.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm not saying these teams are all better than us but I think some of us have been using blue and gold colored glasses when evaluating every other team in the east.
    Well, not quite. Most of them have been using their Western Conference colored glasses and assuming the East will continue to be the minor league.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Well, not quite. Most of them have been using their Western Conference colored glasses and assuming the East will continue to be the minor league.
    That's fair.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am holding my thoughts right now about the Pacers and next season until I can process a few things.

But the one thing I am just getting tired of is people disrespecting the east as though it is a total crapfest. Yes the beginning of last season was putrid for the East (coincidentally that is the time the pacers were at their best) but as the season progressed there were some teams that started to gel and get better. Obviously the Nets will not be the same but they have every bit as much talent as we do and I think they improved on their coaching.

But the Hawks, Raptors, Wizards, Bulls were all going to be good going into this season no matter what. The Hawks now will have Horford back to their potent mix. The Raptors stood pat and are hoping for improvement from within, which is funny because a lot of pacer fans say this every year that our team will improve but yet never want to give credit for another team doing the same. The Wizards lost Ariza and gained Pierce, this may hurt them or it may not we won't know till the season plays out. All I know is that Bradley Beal is going to be the best 2 guard in the NBA sometime soon probably. The Bulls were a tough team with a group of nobody's last year, this year they add Gasol and we'll see how he does but a semi healthy Rose escalates them to the upper tier.

This does not even include the Cavs who nobody can argue will improve, the Bobcats who were already tough last season who will improve.

That is six teams right there that were already going to be teams that we had to be careful of even if Paul George was healthy.

Also who is to say that the magic don't come together this year and fight for the 8th seed or here is a real long shot but what if Jabari Parker is as good as advertised, could he jump the Bucks from dead last to the 8-10 territory? I'm sure Kstat & Shags would probably also like to talk about the Pistons as well.

You didn't mention the Heat. They should still easily be a playoff team. I could see a spiteful Wade having a solid season.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    You didn't mention the Heat. They should still easily be a playoff team. I could see a spiteful Wade having a solid season.
    Yea I actually had them in mind and forgot to put them on there. Making the playoffs this season in the east is going to not be an easy task.

This hurts even more now that the Pacers crapped away their potential great season and Finals appearance last year.(don't care what the players say...there were chemistry issues) You have to take advantage of opportunities when they are there as nothing is a given in the future. How we have found that out this off season.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This hurts even more now that the Pacers crapped away their potential great season and Finals appearance last year.(don't care what the players say...there were chemistry issues) You have to take advantage of opportunities when they are there as nothing is a given in the future. How we have found that out this off season.

Yeah, I hope they realize the opportunity they squandered with such a stacked and healthy team. You can't ever take anything for granted in this league, and obviously our team took a lot for granted last year.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    You can't ever take anything for granted in this league, and obviously our team took a lot for granted last year.
    Several posters in this forum did that as well. Do you remember the "this team must win by 20 every night" crowd?

Both the team and us, fans, should appreciate the last two years a lot more than we did.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Vegas took them from 9-1 to 25-1, per SC. That takes them from 3rd best in the East to 9th.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Several posters in this forum did that as well. Do you remember the "this team must win by 20 every night" crowd?

Both the team and us, fans, should appreciate the last two years a lot more than we did.
    Last year was one of the worst years I've ever had as a Pacer fan. Obviously there were some worse (Brawl immediately springs to mind) but watching a talented team fall apart because the players were too immature to get out of their own way and be professional was a disaster. No matter what the players said, it was obvious there was a massive locker room rift that destroyed Roy's head and poisoned players against each other. The last 5 1/2 months have been just awful as a Pacers fan. Some will argue will still made the ECF, but to me it was still a train wreck of a season end and playoff run, then we lost Lance, kept Hibbert, and now the horrible injury to PG. It is really, really hard to be optimistic right now. We have very little in the way of assets, no salary cap space, no potential young players, and our one true elite player has suffered the type of injury that I don't know you ever fully recover from.
    Danger Zone

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

BTW I was opposed to it when they did it and I'm even more opposed to it now. But when you are a salary cap strapped team with few assets (we have some but not a lot) then you need to keep your draft picks and not just sell them for cash.

Yes I know a low second round pick wasn't going to help much but right now I'd much rather have a young player that I could one day hope gets better than cash that will do absolutely nothing for our product on the floor.

It really has been a bad summer for our club.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Yea I actually had them in mind and forgot to put them on there. Making the playoffs this season in the east is going to not be an easy task.
    Other teams will also have severe injuries too so not every team that looks better than us now will be better. How about that for rationalizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    yes, which is why they probably won't even bother applying for it
    Oh, they'll apply, and get it. They may not use it but they'll have it in hand.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd rather be a lottery team than a playoff team. A contending team is a much different story, but that won't be happening for us anytime soon. I'd rather get a good draft pick than be a first round sweep.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHoosier View Post
    I'd rather be a lottery team than a playoff team. A contending team is a much different story, but that won't be happening for us anytime soon. I'd rather get a good draft pick than be a first round sweep.
    Not to be a smarta$$ or attack you personally, but how many games do you go to?

I think it is VERY important to consider what happens to a just-recovered attendance if the Pacers decide to dump their remaining decent players and go for the lottery. Here on PD we like to talk that people won't go to games if we're "stuck in mediocrity", that people will go to "see young talent" even ifg we're getting our heads handed to us every week, but I think the reality for most casual fans is that they want a reasonable (not guaranteed) chance of winning the games THEY go see. The rest of the record only matters as a predictor of that. It's why I figure that if we went 41-41 winning every home game and losing every away game we'd be sold out more likely than if we went 61-21 but all 21 of those losses were at home.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As others eluded to. The East is no cake walk. Were looking at 2-3 seasons before PG is truly fully recovered. It would be a disservice by the Pacers and Larry Bird to not trade DWEST. I love me some DWEST, but unfortunately at this time his talent is best served elsewhere on a contender. PG we all hope and pray will be back next season, but this is going to be a 2-3 year process at best.

Yall take a peek and tell me out of sheer gratitude where the best destination is for DWEST. Nets, Hornets are possibilities but I am already convinced Bird will deal with the Lakers.

Nba depth charts:

http://dev.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nba.aspx

Talks were centered on a Hibbert for #6 pick where the Lakers reportedly did have interest. Kobe has 2 seasons left in him and the Lakers want to win now, otherwise they may as well deal Bryant.

DWEST would be an ideal fit next to Kobe, and Hibbert makes sense as well for them. Factor in Kareem already working here with Roy and all seems to make an ideal resolution for both teams going forward.

Lakers give Kobe his final chance at a Title, and in two years their Franchise builds around Hibbert and Cap room which for a Large media market is easy to do.

Pacers get a player they had interest in prior to the draft (Julius Randle), and stock up on draft picks, which for a small market Franchise is how it needs to be done. Hope and pray PG is ready to roll in 2 seasons, Randle and the draft picks develop, and by then Pacers may become relevant once again.

There is hope for the future, PG recovers and Bird stockpiles talent via draft. But i am not gonna decieve oneself, this era of Pacers basketball (West, Roy, Hill, PG) is done and over. First Danny and the knee and we still take heat to 7, and now this devastating news for the Franchise.

Its gonna be a bumpy ride fellas, after just crawling out from under the pile of rubble better known as the brawl and REG retiring, kinda emotionally demoralizing to have this run of contender status abruptly end so quickly.

I have faith in the future, but its back to the drawing board. After reviewing all 32 teams rosters, I would almost bet the farm Bird deals DWEST and Roy to the Lakers for Randle and draft picks, similar to the Boston Brooklyn deal last offseason. Boston acquired a kings ransom for KG and Paul Pierce. I cant see how LA turns that deal down without some form of backlash from Kobe Bryant.

We all know he threw Andrew Bynum under the bus without blinking in hopes of surrounding him with veterans (JO for LO/Bynum anyone remember Bird pursuing?). Kareem working with Roy,,, all just seems to be fate a deal will be made. As much as i dislike the realization of DWEST going elsewhere, I cant see Larry not giving him the opportunity to play for a contender. I also cant see Kobe not wanting the lakers to be apart of a DWEST Hibbert deal for a rookie and multiple 1st rounders.

Tip of the cap to ya DWEST.

#BAMF21

It's strange. Here in Ireland, Paul George is trending no.1 on Twitter because of what happened last night.

I'd say the Indiana Pacers could have won the NBA Finals the season just gone and I'd doubt PG would have even trended in the top 10 here.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

The lakers already have 45 power forwards. They're not trading a fresh lottery pick for David west, let alone extra draft picks that they dont even have.

We have a trade forum for this sort of silliness.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It looks gross, and it's obviously a serious injury. But it's very likely he'll make a full recovery. It's not like he's dead.

The way posters mourned the loss of Danny Granger on here for months one would have easily not known otherwise from reading this forum. Hoping and praying PG makes a full recovery, but this era of Pacers basketball is exactly that. Dead. No way in hell I see PG returning close to form within the next two seasons. By the third year were likely relying on PG's continued resurgence and young players to meet expectations.

Suffice to say, Birds gonna have to write up a new 3 year plan. Not a chance this Franchise is relevant again before then.

At this point, after months of DG sorrows, which really doesnt even come close to how horriffic this loss is. Albeit a healthy Granger in the 2013 ECF's and I gotta hunch there is a Banner in the Fieldhouse. Were all entitled to handle as best we see fit.

This time around I hope Birds 3 year plan is even better than the previous one. It will have to be.