Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 180 Turn: 2014-2015 Season Expectations and Thoughts

Default Re: 180 Turn: 2014-2015 Season Expectations and Thoughts

What does our starting lineup even look like?

I'm depressed. What's next year's draft look like?

Sports Logo

There is only one thing that really matters right now. PG has to be 100% healed up before we even think about him training. That's it.

The good thing about bones is that if the surgery is successful and you give them time to heal up then they can feel as good as new. So, a full recovery is possible as long as we don't attempt to rush PG back.

PG should take all the time in the world to let his bone recover and only attempt a comeback when he is 100% ready. That's the only way to leave this freak injury behind him.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd say that the ceiling is the 7 or 8 seed. Our starting 1-3 will be as bad as any team in the league. West is old. Hibbert is fundamentally limited on offense.

It's absolutely insane how drastically things can change in just one year. A year ago at this time, we were all on cloud 9 after the Scola addition and being one month removed from our thrilling 2013 playoff run. We had the insane start to the season, but then had the bizarre collapse, the Hibbert funk, almost getting eliminated by the Hawks (though to our credit we rebounded and made the ECF's), lost Lance, and now have lost our superstar to a brutal injury. It's surreal how things have gone so far south in one year. It shows that you cannot ever take anything for granted. After our 2013 ECF's run, we thought it was just the beginning and that an NBA Finals trip was right around the corner. Now look. It's a shame we couldn't win that 2013 ECF's because that playoff team was soooooo good. If only we could have had some bench help.

If we do plan on keeping David West in 15-16, then I hope we don't run him into the ground next year chasing an 8 seed. Honestly though, the smart move might be to look at trading West for some younger pieces. I hate to say that since he is one of my favorite Pacers ever, but he is an old guy who is in win now mode. The Pacers won't be a win now team next season, and even if PG is ready for the start of 15-16, you have to think that he'll be a bit rusty after being away from the game so long and recovering from such a brutal injury. He'll likely need a full year to get his game back up to speed. Trading West for young talent might be in the best interests of both parties.

This is Hibbert's big opportunity to show what he can do on offense. The two biggest ball dominant players from last year are gone.

Solomon Hill better get a ton of playing time this year. I don't care how sloppy he looks at the beginning of the season, he better get heavy minutes all season long.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honesty have no idea what to expect. There are a ton of question marks now. Hell, I don't even know what our starting lineup will be.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully we get into the lottery. Magic things happen when you're there from the Central.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Next stop June 2015

We have CJ Miles, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully we get into the lottery. Magic things happen when you're there from the Central.
    no.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo

feel bad for pg. hope he has a good recovery.

pacers aren't going to be fun to use in 2k

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I believe this team will scrap and fight much like the Bulls without Rose. Seeing PG rehab will motivate and inspire them.
    I'm going to agree here. They will pick up a player or two. Make a possible trade. They will be a tough team but beatable when it comes playoff time. Might be a fun team to watch, won't score much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I honesty have no idea what to expect. There are a ton of question marks now. Hell, I don't even know what our starting lineup will be.
    Most likely

Hibbert
    West
    Miles
    Stuckey
    Hill

Slight chance Copeland beats out Miles at SF but highly doubtful.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    There is only one thing that really matters right now. PG has to be 100% healed up before we even think about him training. That's it.

The good thing about bones is that if the surgery is successful and you give them time to heal up then they can feel as good as new. So, a full recovery is possible as long as we don't attempt to rush PG back.

PG should take all the time in the world to let his bone recover and only attempt a comeback when he is 100% ready. That's the only way to leave this freak injury behind him.
    PG can come back close to 100% and still be a great player. His health is more important than the season that's for sure. Right he needs to take the year and part of next year if needed.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

My expectations,

That Paul has the best recovery known to man kind.
    That Larry Bird can get off his perch, suck up the defeat early enough to get GM sympanthy (if any is to be had) to get some good valued trades.

To see Roy Hibbert, David West, George Hill, Louis Scola, traded for the worst expiring contracts, top rookies and 2015 draft picks and this being done now.

To see Watson traded sometime in the season to a team desperate for a veteran and gives us good value back.

To see the Pacers lose every game and Adam Silver not screw us out of the #1 pick of the 2015 draft for tanking to develop a team for Paul George's return.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Mood

I just hope (and I know this is wishful thinking) people understand who the Pacers are and do not call for Frank's head everytime we lose.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

All I know is that this season we need to play poor for Okafor and have hands down for Towns

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by lolwuttermelons View Post
    All I know is that this season we need to play poor for Okafor and have hands down for Towns
    No way. We have too much pride for that. How about we play our butts off and let the chips fall where they may?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    No way. We have too much pride for that. How about we play our butts off and let the chips fall where they may?
    I don't think playing hard this year and getting a good draft pick are necessarily mutually exclusive. I want our guys to develop chemistry and play hard. I don't want to make some bad short term thinking moves or run David West into ground just so we can get the honor of losing 4-1 to Lebron or Rose in the first round.

But I imagine this team if it stays as constructed will win 35 games. Vogel overachieves with these kinda of teams.
    Last edited by idioteque; 08-02-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Undefeated

We are totally screwed. Our best player is out for the year, our second best left cause he didn't like the team, our third best is a head case.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I know many of you are still processing the recent event, but with one door closing other doors open.

So my main question is, what are you looking forward to now that you weren't even considering 24 hours ago?
    As well, what are your general expectations now?
    not looking forward to the season. i just hope they get a good draft pick and the pick turns out well for us.
    my expectations are this team is now a fringe playoff team and that worries me. sure, it's possible they get a late lottery pick and get a guy who surprises but the odds are against it. getting lucky once in that regard is one thing. but hoping to get that same kind of luck isn't likely to happen again so soon.

3rd seed. Conference finals.
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I don't think playing hard this year and getting a good draft pick are necessarily mutually exclusive. I want our guys to develop chemistry and play hard. I don't want to make some bad short term thinking moves or run David West into ground just so we can get the honor of losing 4-1 to Lebron or Rose in the first round.

But I imagine this team if it stays as constructed will win 35 games. Vogel overachieves with these kinda of teams.
    I agree with you. I think 35 wins might be this teams ceiling. I like our guys and will still watch every game I can, but expectations have to be tempered big time.

My point is that I want to see every guy out there in a Pacer jersey bust his butt and give it his all. If that means we are the 8 seed, so be it. If it means we get the 6th pick in the draft, that is ok too. I just don't want to sign a bunch of random dudes, play 50 different people throughout the year and become Milwaukee or Philadelphia. Where we finish is honestly irrelevant to me at this stage of the game. I want to see us develop Solo Hill and find roles for the new guys. If Hill and Hibbert gain some confidence all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post

I seriously think you could win 40. They'll be ugly games - with a capital UGH. We're talking winning games by 74-68 on a regular basis. But you still should be one of the top defensive teams in the league which means you'll be in most games. You need a spot-up shooter or two to spread things out. Back in 98 we lost PE (this was when he was still good for 20-plus pts and 10-plus boards/game) for most of the season and spent the rest of it with Chris Dudley at center(or LJ) and managed to get to the 2nd rd of the playoffs. Elite defensive teams don't fall off the map.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I seriously think you could win 40. They'll be ugly games - with a capital UGH. We're talking winning games by 74-68 on a regular basis. But you still should be one of the top defensive teams in the league which means you'll be in most games. You need a spot-up shooter or two to spread things out. Back in 98 we lost PE (this was when he was still good for 20-plus pts and 10-plus boards/game) for most of the season and spent the rest of it with Chris Dudley at center(or LJ) and managed to get to the 2nd rd of the playoffs. Elite defensive teams don't fall off the map.
    That Knicks team had the best collection of wings in the NBA. There was enough offense to get by.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I don't think we'll be a great defensive team. Yeah we have Hibbert who is DPOY caliber, but we lost our wing defense. Rodney Stuckey will be starting. We don't have anyone to go at LeBron or Durant or Harden now.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

We definitely have the worst PG, SG, SF combo now.

Our defense will take a massive hit and our offense will be brutal. If we make the playoffs, we'll have the one of the worst 1-3 starting rotations of any playoff team in recent memory.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: