Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78

Thread: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

  1. #51
    Member PaulGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Obviously this is a huge blow of peyton manning proportions. In no way are we contending until PG makes a fully recovery physically and mentally.

    While the injury was ugly and I still can't believe I'm typing these words. A broken leg imo is better than a blown out knee. Paul almost always jumps off of his left leg also.

    As far as next season goes I rather just start almost all over and plan of still building around Paul. Do us and David West a favor and trade him to a contender with assets. This is also a plus for us in the Roys trade value department. That is if he can step up and be effective on offense. Trade him at the deadline to a playoff team for more assets or a pick. George Hill can stick around on his remaining 8 mil/yr contract to fill out the team. Who knows if we come out flat and things go down quick with the proposed draft changes maybe we get a lottery pick. I know this may all seem crazy but its what we need to do at this point. We aren't winning a championship in the next 3 years IMO or possibly in the next 5. The NBA is a b**** and its even harder for small market teams with a run of bad luck. What we can do is put ourselves in the position to be flexible with our capspace/roster once Paul comes back.
    I'm a Beast

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:


  3. #52

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only person who should be worrying about our plan of attack for next season is Larry Bird and I doubt that even he has started down that path yet.

    I was just thinking about Bird with losing Stephenson and now PG. He might be wishing he hadn't returned. Now, we'll see what his new 3 year plan is going to be.

    I want to see the Pacers play hard, but some of me says it's time to start over. I'm not saying tank, but some trades to make this team better for the future. If I could make it thru 3 grueling crappy years of JOB, I can make it thru a few years of REBUILDING for the future. JMOAA

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  5. #53

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Yeah, let's trade everybody so when PG gets back he has no help in the middle of his prime.

    Depends on what the trades can bring back in return. Both Hibbert and DWest are expirings in 15-16, by the time PG is ready he might only be playing with them another year, so it might be better to have different players for him to go into the future instead of wasting a year with players who won't be here for the future.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  7. #54
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    I got to admit, I'm now extremely curious how Coach Vogel plans to adapt. Reminds me of the situation post brawl when Rick Carlisle got a hodge podge of a lineup to compete every night. It's probably too much to expect history to repeat itself, but it would be interesting to see how close Frank could get to that standard.

    So I guess one silver lining is, we're about to find out how good our coach is.

  8. #55

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got to admit, I'm now extremely curious how Coach Vogel plans to adapt. Reminds me of the situation post brawl when Rick Carlisle got a hodge podge of a lineup to compete every night. It's probably too much to expect history to repeat itself, but it would be interesting to see how close Frank could get to that standard.

    So I guess one silver lining is, we're about to find out how good our coach is.
    I know when Frank took over he was a great motivator, we'll see if the players still buy in.

  9. #56
    Member larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    37
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really grasping at straws...

    The Pacers will have ample opportunity to evaluate a lot of players and lineup combinations prior to the trade deadline.

    Also, tickets likely will be a lot easier to get, and likely a lot cheaper too, especially when STH's decide to dump theirs.

    Maybe we can get Jordan to trade Lance back to us in 30 days for Hill and an unprotected 1st? Lance might like to come back knowing he would be the man, especially if an injury exception (if one exists now) clears additional cap space to get him some help.
    Lance would look horrible if he tried to come back after PG was hurt, lol. Just saying he's gone. I really wish we would have kept him & maybe deep inside he wishes he stayed now, but what's done it's done & he's gone.

    What really sucks is how his new team will probably throttle us & we'll get to see his dancing/gloating from the opposite perspective. Jefferson/ Lance is a better 1-2, inside/outside tandem than anything we can muster.

    Maybe Lance is overrated & being on a good team made him look good. I doubt though he won 4 New York state titles in a row in HS. That's legendary & takes talent. He will shimmy here in the Fieldhouse the 1st chance he gets.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.




  10. #57
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,603
    Mood

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    I do see a silver lining of getting Solo minutes, getting Rudez minutes and looking forward to a descent draft pick. I see us as competitive but not top tier in the east without PG.

  11. #58
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What really sucks is how his new team will probably throttle us
    While we are not a championship contender without Paul, I do not see how Charlotte is any better than the Pacers. We still have Hibbert so we will still be one of the best defensive teams in the league. If Hill steps up, like he did against Portland (not in the literal sense of him scoring 32ppg, but just him playing like he is the first option), this team still has a good chance of having a competent offense. Just less reliant on isolation plays. We have the players that with the right system in place we can still have a very successful offense. We will just be missing that piece that can take a good team, and turn them into a championship team.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  13. #59
    Member larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    37
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While we are not a championship contender without Paul, I do not see how Charlotte is any better than the Pacers. We still have Hibbert so we will still be one of the best defensive teams in the league. If Hill steps up, like he did against Portland (not in the literal sense of him scoring 32ppg, but just him playing like he is the first option), this team still has a good chance of having a competent offense. Just less reliant on isolation plays. We have the players that with the right system in place we can still have a very successful offense. We will just be missing that piece that can take a good team, and turn them into a championship team.
    Possible & maybe even probable from the Pacers, but Jefferson is an all-star every day of the week he is healthy. I don't care how many votes or teams he's made. He ate our front line alive the last time we saw him. Mix in Lance to an already Playoff bound team that played very well post all-star break & I'd say they are going to be fairly potent in the East. I mean we may beat them, but West would need to outplay Lance & Roy outplay Jefferson. Then Hill would need to outplay or even up with Walker.

    I'm not saying we'll suck. We'll be scrappy, but losing PG would be a little less devastating to us then when Cleveland lost James the 1st time. Those fans thought Mo Williams was really Pippen & Varejo was a better prime Ben Wallace. Losing Paul & Lance is probably somewhere around the talent level dip the Cavs suffered w/o LeBron. Losing Lance & PG is us losing more talent than the Bulls did when Rose went down to be honest. Let's hope Vogel gets as much out of Indy as Tibs did the Bulls.

    As for you saying our defense will still be tops, hmm. I disagree & think it will suffer a ton. It will need to rely on hustle, so Vogel is key here. Teams have figured out that you spread Roy from the paint & move him or you stop & pop in the paint. Teams just quit going all the way to the rim & he became a non-factor post all-star break. He went from being historically effective to not winning nor deserving to win the DPOY. The Heat just decided to avoid that vertical wall & things became easy afterwards. PG was our defense. He was 2nd in defensive win shares in the NBA. We would have lost to ATL had he not took on guarding Teague. Hill for whatever reason guards Jon Wall well & always has. Other guys like Isaiah Thomas, Lillard, Dragic, & Teague cause him huge problems. Parker, Paul, Westbrook, & them caliber guys are causing anybody problems so I can't say much there.

    Our best hope is we improve offensively with better movement & ball sharing. If I was rating the East in order as currently constructed Indy & Charlotte is tough to call to be honest. They have more on court talent imo. I'd probably give them the slight nod. Maybe them throttling us is a bit much in retrospect, maybe not. They did lose McBob. Of course talent gaurentees nothing. I'll always remember the year Detroit smoked the Lakers & LA's make shift Dream Team. We'll see. I'll watch & cheer, it's all I know. I guess my main point was the Lance hot dogging I loved so much is already annoying at just the thought now that he will do it against us. You know he will to.
    Last edited by larry; 08-03-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.




  14. The Following User Says Thank You to larry For This Useful Post:


  15. #60
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We still have Hibbert so we will still be one of the best defensive teams in the league.
    We also just lost our 2 best wing defenders. Hibbert is great at the rim, but he's also slow, and IMO part of what made our system worked for him was that we had very good wing defenders (especially George).

    I dunno, I'm much more worried about the defense than the offense. In part because our offense wasn't that great to start with, true. I know we're hoping for great things from Solo, but those are huge shoes we're expecting the young fellow to step into. It's why some of us have been speculating about Marion - we really need to add a guy like that IMO.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  17. #61
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Just makes me hate Lance that much more for leaving. He'd have been the man! FU Lance.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  18. #62
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,283

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just makes me hate Lance that much more for leaving. He'd have been the man! FU Lance.
    ...so he should have stayed on the off chance that Paul George was going to get seriously injured?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  20. #63
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,283

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    FYI, the Nuggets with Dikembe Mutombo and pretty much nothing else defensively were a middle of the road defensive team overall. They spiked into the top ten once in 1994 but otherwise were stuck in the mid-teens.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  22. #64
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,554

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...so he should have stayed on the off chance that Paul George was going to get seriously injured?
    He's probably looking at PG and thinking that maybe that 5 year offer wasn't such a bad deal after all right now.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  24. #65

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    JMO, but the Pacers should be fine defensively. The loss of Paul hurts, of course, and it would not be surprising to have some of the top offensive players "go off" on the Pacers more as a consequence. But the basic defense will be fine. Unless Roy totally falls apart, the basic defense should be able to keep teams from scoring. Now I don't see Stephenson as the defensive force you do, so his defensive skills will be easily replaced, imo at least. My guess is defensively, the Pacers will sag more and give up some outside shots, long 2's, more than they used to. But the defense will resemble the Pacer defense of last year, just not as dynamic in the areas of things like steals and deflections.

    Offensively is where the loss of both Paul and Stephenson will be felt. They were the best iso/drive and pitch players. That part of their games will be really tough to replace. But they were also the biggest ball stoppers on the team. So I expect the Pacers to go with a more free flowing offense. It would not be surprising to see something like the Spurs, sans Tony Parker. Move the ball, try to get open shots, rather than creating shots by drive and dish the way the Pacers did last year. More picks off the ball and less picks on the ball. Most the the guys left are high BBIQ players, so they are able to play that way. The big problem will be at the end of the quarter when the lack of a 'go to' guy that generate scores by himself will be a chronic issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We also just lost our 2 best wing defenders. Hibbert is great at the rim, but he's also slow, and IMO part of what made our system worked for him was that we had very good wing defenders (especially George).

    I dunno, I'm much more worried about the defense than the offense. In part because our offense wasn't that great to start with, true. I know we're hoping for great things from Solo, but those are huge shoes we're expecting the young fellow to step into. It's why some of us have been speculating about Marion - we really need to add a guy like that IMO.

  25. #66
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,756

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    the only silver lining would be sucking and getting a high pick. other than that i don't see any good thing happening to us.

  26. #67

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    kind of hard to explain but the silver lining to me is that he will be back and better. He'll have a new number and a new start. People will know 24 was before he got injured. Then he will be a new monster as 13.

  27. #68
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JMO, but the Pacers should be fine defensively. The loss of Paul hurts, of course, and it would not be surprising to have some of the top offensive players "go off" on the Pacers more as a consequence. But the basic defense will be fine. Unless Roy totally falls apart, the basic defense should be able to keep teams from scoring. Now I don't see Stephenson as the defensive force you do, so his defensive skills will be easily replaced, imo at least. My guess is defensively, the Pacers will sag more and give up some outside shots, long 2's, more than they used to. But the defense will resemble the Pacer defense of last year, just not as dynamic in the areas of things like steals and deflections.
    Just to be clear, I think the big loss in our defense comes from Paul George's injury. But yes, I do think that Lance is a better defender than any of our remaining wings. I mean, CJ Miles and Stuckey? And then Solo Hill and Rudez who are virtual unknowns in the NBA. Well with Solo, at least we've heard praise from the FO and coaching staff suggesting he'll be a good defender, but that was when they were pencilling him in as the 15 min backup behind Paul George. Now he is being asked to be our best wing defender...

    As far as scheme goes, I guess we will stick with Roy-led interior defense (in part because there's not much room for flexibility with Roy), but I'd worry that a lot of the bumping and hedging that George does instinctively would be lost on his replacements, and then the whole scheme would just fall apart. And yes, George especially got a lot of deflections and to me that matters more than you seem to think

  28. #69

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    The silver lining is that a lot of us went through the Peyton injury. And that year was horrible. And so a lot of us are conditioned to deal with this. That's about as silver as it gets.

  29. #70

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    The Hornets are better because they are better at every position other than power forward.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  31. #71
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,866

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    PG comes back at 100% and leads the Pacers to their first NBA championship in one of the biggest feel-good stories in sports history.

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  33. #72
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,083

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do see a silver lining of getting Solo minutes, getting Rudez minutes and looking forward to a descent draft pick. I see us as competitive but not top tier in the east without PG and Lance.
    I agree but would have to add a bit more to your sentence. That is a serious drop in team talent. That's like the Heat losing both DWade and LeBron...and replacing them with CJ Miles and Rodney Stuckey.

  34. #73
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,922

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1997 (?) - an ex-ABA franchise had their star player break his foot and they had a pretty bad season.

    Wound up working out pretty well for them though.
    Bingo this was my first positive thought (lots of oh no thoughts first through)

  35. #74

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We also just lost our 2 best wing defenders. Hibbert is great at the rim, but he's also slow, and IMO part of what made our system worked for him was that we had very good wing defenders (especially George).

    I dunno, I'm much more worried about the defense than the offense. In part because our offense wasn't that great to start with, true. I know we're hoping for great things from Solo, but those are huge shoes we're expecting the young fellow to step into. It's why some of us have been speculating about Marion - we really need to add a guy like that IMO.
    Lance isn't that good of a defender. He got lit up against a hobbled DWade and Bradley Beal. He can body up people, but he falls for fakes and loses his man too much gawking at the ball.

  36. #75

    Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PG comes back at 100% and leads the Pacers to their first NBA championship in one of the biggest feel-good stories in sports history.
    LBJ would have to die first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •