Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

First and foremost, beyond anything we feel for the team as fans, I wish Paul a speedy and full recovery. It sucks as a fan to see your teams future flushed down the toilet, but I can't even imagine the physical and emotional pain that he must be in right now.

That being said, when I read the headline my heart sank. I'm sure many, if not all of you had the same feeling. Next season is done, maybe even our future beyond that. I can sit here all night and think about all the horrible things to come from this, how this just seems like another mark on the what has become a book of bad marks for Pacers fans. But I don't want to do that anymore. So, lets hopefully keep this thread in a positive light(as best we can) and focus on the good things(however small or little they may be), that can potentially come from this.

I'll start: The Pacers were not going to win anything next year. The second Lance left, he took any chance the Pacers had of winning the Championship with him. Paul George said himself that he was going to look to taking 25 shots a game next season, which I feel like would have had to have been okay'd/supported by the Pacers management for him to say that. Ultimately, it would have likely resulted in us watching a stagnate offense play hero ball, that would have likely had us barely sneak into the playoffs just to lose in the first round.

Now? As good of competitors as this team has, I doubt we make the playoffs. IF we are to make the playoffs, it will be because Roy Hibbert has a monster season - which would be the best thing that could happen for the future of this team anyway. We know he is capable of being a beast, if he gains his mojo back, we would essentially be getting the 2 headed monster we all hoped for in George/Hibbert next season. Even if we do miss the playoffs, I still expect Hibbert to gain a lot of confidence being one of the main focus' this year, then add a lottery pick to that and we have a young prospect that would be the third player needed to potentially bring us back to Championship contender status. On top of both of those factors, we will give Solomon Hill plenty of opportunities to grow this season.

Again, this is just terrible news for PG and the Pacers. I'm not denying that, but hopefully we can have one light-hearted thread putting some sort of bright side to this tragedy the best we can. I need to only think of potential good scenarios as I don't wanna spend another Pacers season thinking about nothing but the worst.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trying to find the silver lining with Paul George's injury.

I just don't see how anybody can make anything positive out of this.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First and foremost, beyond anything we feel for the team as fans, I wish Paul a speedy and full recovery. It sucks as a fan to see your teams future flushed down the toilet, but I can't even imagine the physical and emotional pain that he must be in right now.

That being said, when I read the headline my heart sank. I'm sure many, if not all of you had the same feeling. Next season is done, maybe even our future beyond that. I can sit here all night and think about all the horrible things to come from this, how this just seems like another mark on the what has become a book of bad marks for Pacers fans. But I don't want to do that anymore. So, lets hopefully keep this thread in a positive light(as best we can) and focus on the good things(however small or little they may be), that can potentially come from this.

I'll start: The Pacers were not going to win anything next year. The second Lance left, he took any chance the Pacers had of winning the Championship with him. Paul George said himself that he was going to look to taking 25 shots a game next season, which I feel like would have had to have been okay'd/supported by the Pacers management for him to say that. Ultimately, it would have likely resulted in us watching a stagnate offense play hero ball, that would have likely had us barely sneak into the playoffs just to lose in the first round.

Now? As good of competitors as this team has, I doubt we make the playoffs. IF we are to make the playoffs, it will be because Roy Hibbert has a monster season - which would be the best thing that could happen for the future of this team anyway. We know he is capable of being a beast, if he gains his mojo back, we would essentially be getting the 2 headed monster we all hoped for in George/Hibbert next season. Even if we do miss the playoffs, I still expect Hibbert to gain a lot of confidence being one of the main focus' this year, then add a lottery pick to that and we have a young prospect that would be the third player needed to potentially bring us back to Championship contender status. On top of both of those factors, we will give Solomon Hill plenty of opportunities to grow this season.

Again, this is just terrible news for PG and the Pacers. I'm not denying that, but hopefully we can have one light-hearted thread putting some sort of bright side to this tragedy the best we can. I need to only think of potential good scenarios as I don't wanna spend another Pacers season thinking about nothing but the worst.
    well, the upcoming season is a bust for sure now. wonder what next year's draft is supposed to look like? btw, i don't really care how hibbert does next season because none of it will matter as he will simply fall into the funk again. he cannot be a part of this team's long-term plans due to his weak mind and that cannot be fixed.
    Last edited by clownskull; 08-02-2014 at 12:14 AM.

The positive is that life is meaningless anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

There's no silver lining in your franchise player literally snapping his leg in half.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I am literally near tears right now, there is no positive to this. I mean, take away the basketball aspect of it, I love every one of our players, and I feel for PG the person. Maybe i'll change in the morning, but there is no positive right now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess right now I can't think about anything except PG. Sure I'm concerned about the future of the Pacers, but like Coach K and Jerry Colangelo said, basketball isn't as important as PG's well being. I don't care if we get the #1 pick next year and draft the next Kobe Bryant, I'm still always going to wish this never happened.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The positive is that he's probably going to keep his lower leg and foot. That's pretty much the only positive. Otherwise this is one of the most devastating injuries in professional sports history.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

One silver lining, if you want to call it that, is the almost universal support I've seen on the internet over the past hour from fans of every team. The kid is really, really liked around the league.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with others that there is no silver lining here.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised given this injury if David West becomes expendable and we look at 2014-15 as a year to develop players like Solo Hill and stockpile assets.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

The silver lining is we get a good draft pick in 2015, and Paul comes back recovered with a better second option to help him out than he's ever had in his career. They become best friends, and sign deals to stay in Indiana for their entire careers.

Everyone might as well be expendable outside of PG.

I've been trying to write up my thoughts to respond to this thread for the last few minutes and have ended up just deleting it all each time.

This hits home for me BIG TIME.

When I was 14, I suffered a compound femur fracture during a Track & Field event. To be honest, it was actually quite a bit WORSE than Paul's injury, due to the fact it was the upper femur, and not "just" the Tib/Fib. But Paul will have to endure much of the same treatment I did then.

1) He will require emergency surgery to set the bones, repair and stabilize any pulverized bone (They use a 'paste' made of bovine bone if too much of your own bone has been damaged)

2) They will also insert a titanium rod during this surgery. Sometimes this rod is removed after a recovery period, but it is usually left in the patient for life unless it presents complications (I still have mine)

3) Then begins the extremely arduous recovery process... Assuming there are no problems with post-op infection.

I won't lie to you guys. My fracture basically ruined my body. To this day, it hurts all the time. Never stops. I can't do anything I used to be able to whatsoever. The toughest part of recovery is the fact that your muscles atrophy and make it very difficult to regain strength, flexibility and stamina.

Obviously, Paul will have an ENORMOUS advantage over me there because he is a professional athlete with access to the best doctors and rehab experts in the world.

But make no mistake about it... There is no silver lining to be had here, at least physically.

Now emotionally and mentally that is a completely different story.

There are some days when I am hurting so badly that I would give almost anything to "go back" and redo the day I hurt myself. Just to avoid all that pain and all the subsequent things breaking down in my body because of it.

But to be honest, even if I *COULD* do that, I would elect not to.

Because that injury, that experience, and all the pain and suffering that came with it is what made me into the man I am today. Everything I am is molded and shaped by that experience. For better and for worse.

I say this to hopefully demonstrate that even though this is ABSOLUTELY, heartbreakingly awful for Paul, his family, the Pacers, USA team, and basketball as a whole... This is a defining time now in Paul's career and more importantly, his life in general.

If he chooses to see this awful event as an opportunity to improve himself, to struggle through adversity and overcome it, then yes I agree:

There can be a silver lining.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

He'll have the top doctors and every precaution will be taken? It's not a joint? Beyond that, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    The silver lining is we get a good draft pick in 2015, and Paul comes back recovered with a better second option to help him out than he's ever had in his career. They become best friends, and sign deals to stay in Indiana for their entire careers.
    That's about the only 'positive' I could see come out of this. Of course if the injury is as bad as it looks, close to a career ender - or at the very least render's George a shell of himself, the Pacers will need 2-3 years of solid draft picks and/or roster moves to even sniff the conference finals.

Obviously, if we end up with the next Duncan out of this, and George returns at 100%, we could be the new version of the Spurs. I'm not counting on it though.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

If we want to talk basketball terms, Paul George takes the year off, Pacers draft their version of Tim Duncan and Andrew Luck except that Paul George is still young. PG gets a co star and Pacers dominate the East.

Or, Pacers make the playoffs as a 4, 5 ,6 seed and PG recovers in record time to play in the 2nd round or ECF.

FWIW, a friend of mine who is a doctor said PG should be able to come back and be the PG of old, but like everyone knows at this point, he is done for the year. Said PG should be jogging in 7 months -ish.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

I had to chuckle as I listened to Fran Fraschilla talk about Kyle Korver possibly replacing PG.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Or, Larry trades 2 of the 3 of Hill, West, Hibbert and "tank" for next season season and bank on Mike Conley or another bigger name to sign in 2015 or 2016.

He'll be back in fine condition. I have no doubt. The guy is a work ethic champion. If anything it will make next season even more interesting. On a less serious note, I bet Lance is really wishing he had resigned. He'd essentially be "the man" on a way better team.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    FWIW, a friend of mine who is a doctor said PG should be able to come back and be the PG of old, but like everyone knows at this point, he is done for the year. Said PG should be jogging in 7 months -ish.
    Please tell me this is the same source that got you the info on George Hill's concussion before Game 6 of the Knicks series.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Assuming just a broken bone. As far as recovery goes, the biggest concern would be mental. This is a traumatizing event, and it can take a while (sometimes never) to get your confidence back.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Please tell me this is the same source that got you the info on George Hill's concussion before Game 6 of the Knicks series.
    Yep.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

We will have a great draft pick, possibly #1. Maybe we can draft the next Andrew Luck of the NBA?
    David "And One" West

We're still making the playoffs.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: