Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHY THE HECK IS THE GOAL POST SO CLOSE???

Default WHY THE HECK IS THE GOAL POST SO CLOSE???

SICK TO MY STOMACH... I FEEL SO BAD FOR PG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: WHY THE HECK IS THE GOAL POST SO CLOSE???

**** Vegas. Pull everything out that arena. Team USA... Summer league, everything.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's absolutely ridiculous why they allowed that.

Because UNLV doesn't care about player safety and neither does the NCAA. A bunch of crooks.

Yeah- it's not like they've ever played basketball on that setup before.

It was a freak thing to happen. Blame ?? I don't think there's any to be assigned.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

It is a freak thing, but it also wouldn't have been a freak thing if the goal were at NBA distance.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Nerlens Noel, now Paul George. Who's next on this so called freak thing. I see a flaw that causes tragic accidents amongst millionaires and billionaires, nothing freakish about that.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ugh.

Steve Kyler @stevekylerNBA 3 minutes ago

For those asking about baskets in Thomas and Mack for Summer League was told that SL follows NBA guidelines for placement and distance.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ugh.
    Then why were they so far closer than many college arenas and NBA arenas? If that's the minimum, it needs to change to what Bankers Life is usually set at.

I stand by my statement. Pull everything out. If the goalposts were set to FIBA standards, pull every NBA player out of the tournament unless this is changed immediately.

Pull Team USA out of that building and take it to an NBA arena, like I don't know, Bankers Life!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...lowing-surgery

The game took place at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center, and a source said the league is investigating the placement of the basket stanchion there. The league standard is for the stanchion and any photographers to be four feet from the baseline. The stanchion at the arena was 3 feet, 11 inches, a source told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne.
    Can we all settle down about this now ??

Well I have been saying for years that photographers need to be further back, maybe I should have also been saying that about the stanchions too. Four feet is not a lot of space. An athlete running full speed, that might only be about 2/3rds of a stride, maybe even less. How is a player supposed to stop in less than a stride?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

How long before NBA players start saying NO THANKS to a try-out invitation? I mean, how much value is there to their career. Suppose PG had been in a contract year.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    How long before NBA players start saying NO THANKS to a try-out invitation? I mean, how much value is there to their career. Suppose PG had been in a contract year.
    I think this is the main issue that will come up, the actual Olympics will always be decent motivation for some as a gold medal is a gold medal, but for example 2018 I think there's going to be a lot of resistance. Don't even mention the odd number years.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    When Kevin Love said he wasn't playing ..... I said that I'd like see PG do the same thing. (can't find the thread or posts, but anyway ....)

Let's just say that not everyone had the same thoughts. Wonder what those people are thinking NOW ??????????????

NBA players love to compete at a high level. It's what they do for a living. It's how they get better. It's how they promote their personal brand to overseas markets. 22 years of players playing internationally and following that up with career seasons in the nba is not a coincidence, either.

Nba players as a whole spend more time in pro-am leagues in the offseason than national teams. It's just the national teams are more visible, so they get the attention. When Paul George shows up at the Drew league, everyone here finds it cute. When he shows up for the national team, people freak out.

If Paul George had torn an ACL in his driveway there would be reactionary talk of banning players from having their own basketball courts or playing outdoors. You can't wrap them in bubble wrap when they aren't on the clock. They're human beings.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-04-2014 at 06:03 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    When Kevin Love said he wasn't playing ..... I said that I'd like see PG do the same thing. (can't find the thread or posts, but anyway ....)

Let's just say that not everyone had the same thoughts. Wonder what those people are thinking NOW ??????????????
    Easy to say that in hindsight. I don't think Paul regrets playing for the national team one bit. It was a freak accident. Freak accidents can happen anytime anywhere.

Yeah knowing he was going to get hurt, you wish he pulled out, but if he plays and has an MVP type season next year, nobody is complaining about the "risk" he took during the summer of 2014.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-04-2014 at 05:56 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I would say the same thing now as I would have then (or did if I said anything). I want our best players playing for Team USA. If Paul is one of the best players I want him playing for Team USA. I mean, I imagine there is a greater chance of a player falling down the stairs and breaking their leg than a major injury like this happening while playing for Team USA.

Easy to say that in hindsight..
    It wasn't hindsight. It happened before PG, it'll happen again after. Not as serious - hopefully - but it's not an uncommon thing.

It wasn't hindsight. It happened before PG, it'll happen again after. Not as serious - hopefully - but it's not an uncommon thing.
    Once in 22 years is pretty uncommon.

More nba players have died in car accidents than suffered season ending injuries playing for team USA since 1992.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-04-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Well I have been saying for years that photographers need to be further back, maybe I should have also been saying that about the stanchions too. Four feet is not a lot of space. An athlete running full speed, that might only be about 2/3rds of a stride, maybe even less. How is a player supposed to stop in less than a stride?
    That was my first thought about the stanchions. Why does the NBA have them at all? Whatever happened to the baskets hanging from the rafters? Photographers should not be at 4 feet from the end lines IMO. Remember Collision being hurt when he slid into a camera? I'm surprised that a player hasn't been hurt running into those photographers before now.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Once in 22 years is pretty uncommon.
    You might want to look that up. You're wrong.

You might want to look that up. You're wrong.
    Are you sure about that ? Don't make baseless accusations without proof.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...usa-basketball

It took a full 22 years, to be precise, before the good fortune finally ran out on the deepest program in hoops history.

From the inception of the original Dream Team that changed this sport forever in 1992, USA Basketball leaned on that unparalleled depth and its aforementioned blessings to avoid a truly catastrophic injury until Aug. 1, 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Are you sure about that ? Don't make baseless accusations without proof.
    [Snarky]Yeah ........ I'm sure about that.[/Snarky]

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...th-knee-injury

Griffin, the Los Angeles Clippers All-Star forward, will not participate in the 2012 London Olympics but will be ready for 2012-13 training camp, according to SI.com.

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com has confirmed Griffin's summer outlook.

The Los Angeles Times reports Griffin tore meniscus in his left knee, an injury that will require arthroscopic surgery.

One of 12 players to be named to USA Basketball's Olympics team, Griffin suffered a left knee injury during a USA Basketball scrimmage on Wednesday.

[Snarky]Yeah ........ I'm sure about that.[/Snarky]

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...th-knee-injury
    Neither of those were serious as they only missed two games.