Thread: Dynamite crawls into a hole

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dynamite crawls into a hole

http://www.bsudailynews.com/vnews/di.../425e4a0366046

Ryan Smith
    April 14, 2005

There's only one way to begin this: "Boom goes the dynamite!"

Alright, now that that's out of the way, let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we? On SNL in October, Ashley Simpson found herself jigging when she experienced a Milli Vanilli-esque screw-up on live TV. A production flub had her first song of the night, "Pieces of me," piped in while she was attempting her second song of the night, "Autobiography."

Now take that mess, times it by a hundred, throw in some worried sighs, insert some awkward silence, add a ridiculously awesome catch-phrase, mix in www.ebaumsworld.com and you have a recipe for disaster. It's a disaster that NewsLink@9 sportscaster Brain Collins found himself in after a recent episode of the Ball State news show.

Although I could describe the train-wreck that took place, I'm sure that most reading have either seen it or heard about it -- and if you're in the five percent of people who haven't, oh howdy, you are in for a fun little treat.

Unfortunately, while everyone watching had fun with the disaster, and could even sort of relate too it, like I have (I froze up in speech class once for a minute), Collins himself is not taking it as lightly as he should be.

People ranging from Fox Sports Midwest to Letterman's office have called wanting Collins on their show. One has to wonder where he's getting his information.

Family I can understand because they obviously don't want to see you be tormented anymore across the Internet and live T.V.

TCOM professors I can also understand because they don't want Newslink@9 to look bad.

And what if it is friends? Who are you friends with? Uptight McUptighterson? I know I haven't known you long enough to call you a friend, but as a pseudo-friend, I'm asking you -- no, I'm begging you -- to have as much fun with this situation as everyone else.

If you can't laugh at yourself, then it just ends up with everyone laughing at you. Come on, lighten up and just run with it.

Not everyone gets 15 minutes of fame, so you might as well take it while it's there. Go on the shows, explain what happened, meet some celebrities and then let it die. Sportscenter even used the dynamite catch phrase during a recap of the Masters. Not too many people can say that.

And hey, in five years when you're looking for a job somewhere and the potential employer inevitably asks you if you were that kid, you can say, "Yeah, I was the 'boom goes the dynamite' kid, but here's some of my recent work."

The improvement shown will be astronomical. Instant job. But most importantly, just have fun with it. You messed up. So what? Everyone messes up sometime in life, but it takes a certain type of person to admit he screwed up and to make fun of himself for it.

If that doesn't change your mind, just take a look at America's favorite idol, William Hung. Now, Hung knew that he didn't have what it takes to be a great singer, hell, even a decent singer for that matter, but Hung took a bad situation, turned it around, made CDs of him singing popular songs and is now set for life, money-wise.

"Boom goes the dynamite," could become the new, "She bang, she bang" ... only a hell of a lot funnier.

Write to Ryan at

rjsmith@bsu.edu

Visit www.bsu.edu/web/rjsmith

Why wouldn't this kid start marketing this thing? But I've been thiking, maybe he's Slick's long lost son and he's been referring to dynamite all these years.

"BOOM BABY!"

sweabs

Default Re: Dynamite crawls into a hole

Aw man - the fact that this is getting national attention makes it so much funnier. And he is afraid to go out in public. Just hillarious.

Uptight McUptighterson -

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, while everyone watching had fun with the disaster, and could even sort of relate too it, like I have (I froze up in speech class once for a minute)
    Or like that time he wrote "sort of relate too it"...........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I love the fact that the article misspells the guy's first name:

B R A I N.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our local radio guy in tucson was making fun of him this morning.

Hold it, hold it, hold it, I'm sorry, but did you say "Oh howdy"?

I just watched it. Poor guy was so nervous.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

If he was smart - he would get it copyrighted like Slick did with "Boom Baby".

Or maybe we at Pacer's Digest should get it copyrighted.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he was smart - he would get it copyrighted like Slick did with "Boom Baby".

Or maybe we at Pacer's Digest should get it copyrighted.
    that is borderline genius, tho I'm not sure how it would work legally... We could use the proceeds to buy "board" season tix

Btown, when "boom goes the career", can he move in under the bridge with you?

And there could be t-shirts, hats, and stuff...

I don't think it's copyrighted, I think it's trademarked, but I could be wrong...

If I was that kid, I'd get a lawyer and bust on that right away before someone else does.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's too late...
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Boy - wouldn't you just die if you embarrassed yourself like that and someone else made money off it?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.