Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul George thinks Pacers lost their title hopes after first losing their edge

Default Re: Paul George thinks Pacers lost their title hopes after first losing their edge

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm surprised some of you are taken aback by the idea of PG shooting at such a heavy volume next year. The only other guy in our starting lineup who can create for himself is George Hill.
    Could be worse, Chicago only has D-Rose to create in their offense.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Paul George thinks Pacers lost their title hopes after first losing their edge

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    PD - where you get accused of being against your star player if you don't like the idea of him taking 4 more shots per game than Kevin Durant has ever taken in his entire career :

Unless the rest of our team sucks miserably next year, PG drastically increasing his shot attempts isn't going to be a good thing.
    I think we are missing his point, he is trying to say I need to be aggressive like T-Mac and Kobe were, I don't think he is going to have a sheet of paper with him at games tracking his shot attempts to hit 25-30 and if he isn't there yet go jack up some more shots.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 07-31-2014 at 12:27 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PG doesn't need to be taking one third of our team's shots. He does need to be boosting his shooting percentages and his points per shot by being aggressive and getting to the free throw line more. In other words, put more emphasis by scoring more points through improved offensive efficiency as opposed to merely taking more shots. If he is able to improve his efficiency, then heck yes, also take a few more shots as well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I think we are missing his point, he is trying to say I need to be aggressive like T-Mac and Kobe were, I don't think he is going to have a sheet of paper with him at games tracking his shot attempts to hit 25-30 and if he isn't there yet go jack up some more shots.
    It is a bit scary to hear one of your players say they need to shoot a lot more. I think it's important to remember that Reggie Miller, as good as his pps was, never played a single game in his entire career in which he shot the ball 30 time. Not even in overtime games. Not even once. The best of players are able to be accomplished scorers without monopolizing their team's shot attempts.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    They better be good shots this time, no more euro stepping into traffic yelling "heeeeyyyyyyy" waiting for a foul call.
    In a previous interview he said explicitly he was going to be working on finishing. As I recall, the general PD response was "why is he working on that? He should be working on <something else>"
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    PG doesn't need to be taking one third of our team's shots. He does need to be boosting his shooting percentages and his points per shot by being aggressive and getting to the free throw line more. In other words, put more emphasis by scoring more points through improved offensive efficiency as opposed to merely taking more shots. If he is able to improve his efficiency, then heck yes, also take a few more shots as well.

Game 6 against Miami was a perfect example of what he needs to work on. After his Game 5 second half explosion in which his jumper was on fire, he started Game 6 by jacking up a bunch of jumpers and I think he maybe had one aggressive take to the rack in the first half. He was better in the second half and scored a lot of points, but the game was long out of reach by that point. His offensive game is too jumper heavy and a lot of the jumpers are forced junk early in the shot clock.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    While I understand what you are saying, comparing what Paul does or has to do given the supporting cast on this team (even if they are at their very best) with what LBJ has to do given the supporting cast on HIS team last year, is both inflating the offense of our supporting cast and dissing the value of the Heat's.

I think the make up of our team is going to be a lot more like that of LA (in terms of how the skill levels stack up against each other across the board, not in terms of talent at each position) than like Miami. Therefore, our team scoring leader should be more like Kobe than like LBJ.

I definitely agree that if the shot selection stinks it is very likely a detriment - but I guess I choose not to assume that when he says more shots he means he'll just fling the ball up more often.
    The Heat's supporting cast wasn't that great last year when you factor in that Wade missed so many games. Anyway, I was just making sort of an abstract point that PG's shot attempts last year were just 0.6 fewer than the greatest player in the world.

In Lebron's two MVP years in Cleveland (08-09 and 09-10) he attempted 19.9 and 20.1. That was on teams that weren't particularly stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Game 6 against Miami was a perfect example of what he needs to work on. After his Game 5 second half explosion in which his jumper was on fire, he started Game 6 by jacking up a bunch of jumpers and I think he maybe had one aggressive take to the rack in the first half. He was better in the second half and scored a lot of points, but the game was long out of reach by that point. His offensive game is too jumper heavy and a lot of the jumpers are forced junk early in the shot clock.
    This is true and I mostly agree, but does this team really have the offensive spacing for him to constantly drive the lane? I am not so sure with Hibbert, West, and to a lesser extent Stephenson's shooting touch that there was much room in the paint.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

I'm all for PG averaging 25-30 ppg. If he has to take more than 22 shots a game to do it though, I don't see how it helps the team.
    Last edited by Phree Refill; 07-31-2014 at 05:12 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Meh, I'm glad he's willing to take on the responsibility of being the best player. He would get criticized on PD early in career for not having that "killer" instinct. I hope he becomes an assassin, regardless of how many shots he takes.

Plus, I wonder what the question was he was answering?

Plus, If he can get to the line 10 times a game, that would probably make more of a difference than the number of points or shots.

To reiterate, I took this statement as PG taking leadership and responsibility, not trying to gun for stats, at all.

You all can argue over number of shots all day long for all I care. What I care about is the fact that Paul agree's with me that our end of the season collapse wasn't just some locker room issue. We had a real and tangible collapse of basketball play on the court and I think he is spot on in saying that when teams stepped it up we fell off.

I think there is a lot more to that and that actually kind of plays into what Bird was saying earlier when he said we weren't as good as we played early in the season.

This is why I have the vast concerns about going back into next season with the same old cast even with the subtraction of Stephenson.

This is why I think people were way overblowing his detrimental aspect on the team, I do think he drug others down around him but I DO NOT believe he was either the sole or even largest contributor to last seasons downfall.

I honestly believe our team has been figured out, I think teams have scouted and conversely adapted to our defense and our offense was always a shamble to begin with and whenever we couldn't hit open shots we frankly just lost.

So while I appreciate Paul being willing to take on more of a role, I also know that until we come up with a different defensive scheme and a competent offense that I feel we are not only going to not go back to the E.C. finals we may very well end up 3rd in our own division.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The biggest thing I see is if he's trying to take more shots...will his defense drop?
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You all can argue over number of shots all day long for all I care. What I care about is the fact that Paul agree's with me that our end of the season collapse wasn't just some locker room issue. We had a real and tangible collapse of basketball play on the court and I think he is spot on in saying that when teams stepped it up we fell off.

I think there is a lot more to that and that actually kind of plays into what Bird was saying earlier when he said we weren't as good as we played early in the season.

This is why I have the vast concerns about going back into next season with the same old cast even with the subtraction of Stephenson.

This is why I think people were way overblowing his detrimental aspect on the team, I do think he drug others down around him but I DO NOT believe he was either the sole or even largest contributor to last seasons downfall.

I honestly believe our team has been figured out, I think teams have scouted and conversely adapted to our defense and our offense was always a shamble to begin with and whenever we couldn't hit open shots we frankly just lost.

So while I appreciate Paul being willing to take on more of a role, I also know that until we come up with a different defensive scheme and a competent offense that I feel we are not only going to not go back to the E.C. finals we may very well end up 3rd in our own division.
    I usually try not to quote so much, but I agree with Peck. If we are to move onwards and upward from here than I think there needs to not only be improvement from players but also a change in coaching philosophy. But I did like what Paul said in regards to the season collapse.
    Danger Zone

Different defensive scheme? I don't think we can until we have different big men. We can make minor tweeks, but with the same coaching staff, the same players - especially inside, I don't think we can change the scheme. And I wouldn't change the scheme.

what change in scheme are you looking for?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Yep, exactly. And without our 2nd best player, what's gonna happen when teams focus on shutting down PG on offense? Who is gonna take the ball and do something with it?

I like PG's attitude here, because realistically our only hope (beyond a major trade) is if he does turn into Kobe/Durant/Lebron/TMac. Then again, each of those guys had an undisputed 2nd fiddle other than TMac, and we saw how far that got him. Addition by addition is how you improve.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This is true and I mostly agree, but does this team really have the offensive spacing for him to constantly drive the lane? I am not so sure with Hibbert, West, and to a lesser extent Stephenson's shooting touch that there was much room in the paint.
    It's not just driving the lane, it's his movement without the ball. PG is lazy in his cuts and especially coming off screens (not that we set enough of them). But you make a good point. Hibbert can't just pitch a tent by the lane, waiting for someone to throw him the ball so he can shoot an off-balance hook with limited success. We need to move him out more, and have Hibbert set more screens.
    Danger Zone

I am disturbed that there were no chemistry issues according to Paul and the Pacers imploded that much. How is that even possible?

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

why's Roy get treated like a redheaded stepchild for the "selfish dudes" thing but PG, the guy that shot under 40% after the break, gets praised for saying he's gonna start gunning? Thank you for chucking based PG.

we gonna pretend like PG's a better defender than Roy or something?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I am disturbed that there were no chemistry issues according to Paul and the Pacers imploded that much. How is that even possible?
    There has to be chemistry issues.... You don't fall apart that badly just because you lost your edge....

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    There has to be chemistry issues.... You don't fall apart that badly just because you lost your edge....
    they didn't "fall apart," they came back to Earth. they were never that good in the first place.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Do you think he'd say anything even if there were ??

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    they didn't "fall apart," they came back to Earth. they were never that good in the first place.
    I agree that they were never as good as the early season hype, but they didn't fall apart? They resembled the worst teams in the league many times after the All Star break. The collapse was historic. More than just coming back down to Earth.

On a similar but different note .............

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...-live-pressure

he self-evaluates his second-half struggles like this: "I was trying to get other guys going and get other guys in the groove. I was trying to find mine; a lot of times I was just hung out to dry."
    Hung out to dry. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We started off 40-11...... Below .500 teams which is how we played at the end, arent good enough to go 40-11.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Ya, I do remember wondering how they were winning so much and looking not great doing it.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post: