Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 107

Thread: Our starting backcourt

  1. #76

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    To me, I want C.J. Miles to be a Danny Green type starter, and if he is capable of doing that, I don't see our back-court as that bad. Though referring to Paul George as a member of the front court is pretty silly to me.

  2. #77
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see much in McLemore, I mean he shot 37% from the field this past season, thats terrible. I feel like McLemore's ceiling is C.J. Miles, a good 3 pt shooter and off-ball player who can play some defense, nothing more.
    I don't rate him at all, but to be fair to McLemore, his effective field goal percentage was .446, which was higher than Roy Hibbert's .440. Is this relevant to anything else being discussed in this thread? Probably not.
    Danger Zone

  3. #78
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,536
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see much in McLemore, I mean he shot 37% from the field this past season, thats terrible. I feel like McLemore's ceiling is C.J. Miles, a good 3 pt shooter and off-ball player who can play some defense, nothing more.
    I don't think he has a bad shot, but his shot selection and lack of understanding hurt him more than anything. I think he is a good player, but young. If he ever figures out the game he can be very dangerous with his athleticism.

  4. #79
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,627

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mavericks - Felton/Ellis
    Jazz - Burke/Burks (unless Hayward starts then no)
    Magic - oladipo/???
    Hawks - Teague/Sefalosha
    Nets - Williams/Anderson (???)
    Knicks - Calderon/Hardaway
    Monta Ellis is better than either of our guards, Felton isn't that good however he can handle the ball and can hit an open shot on occasion but he is better than Miles. So I think Monta makes them better.

    Let's not forget Dante Exum which from all reports looks like he could easily be a steal in the draft. But no Burks/Burk or Hayward (who I think plays 3 for them) is actually a very potent lineup. Hill matches up with them but Miles is not as good as any of them. So to me this goes to the Jazz.

    Oladipo and whoever is better than what we have, I truly believe he is a star in the making.

    As to Atlanta, maybe it's just the shell shock of the last playoffs but how the hell you can think that Jeff Teague isn't better than either of our guards by himself is amazing. I honestly thought higher of Jeff Teague than I did John Wall and Sefalosha is what he is, he's not there for points he's there to defend and rebound. Sorry but I think they are significantly better than us.

    I think looking back over this and the other posters i responded to it's pretty obvious to me that I think Hill is an acceptable player, although I wish he would be more consistent, but I honestly think that C.J. Miles is probably one of the if not the worst starting 2's in the NBA.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  6. #80

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Monta Ellis is better than either of our guards, Felton isn't that good however he can handle the ball and can hit an open shot on occasion but he is better than Miles. So I think Monta makes them better.

    Let's not forget Dante Exum which from all reports looks like he could easily be a steal in the draft. But no Burks/Burk or Hayward (who I think plays 3 for them) is actually a very potent lineup. Hill matches up with them but Miles is not as good as any of them. So to me this goes to the Jazz.

    Oladipo and whoever is better than what we have, I truly believe he is a star in the making.

    As to Atlanta, maybe it's just the shell shock of the last playoffs but how the hell you can think that Jeff Teague isn't better than either of our guards by himself is amazing. I honestly thought higher of Jeff Teague than I did John Wall and Sefalosha is what he is, he's not there for points he's there to defend and rebound. Sorry but I think they are significantly better than us.

    I think looking back over this and the other posters i responded to it's pretty obvious to me that I think Hill is an acceptable player, although I wish he would be more consistent, but I honestly think that C.J. Miles is probably one of the if not the worst starting 2's in the NBA.
    Raymond Felton is not better than C.J. Miles, Felton was TERRIBLE this past season, I don't get why this forum holds such a low regard for C.J. Miles? He is basically Danny Green which is why he is making as much as him. Dead eye 3 pt shooter, who can attack the rim decently as well, and plays solid defense, what can Danny Green do Miles can't?

    I mean I knew per 36 doesn't mean a lot, but I believe Miles averaged 18.5 ppg per 36 this past season, that is pretty good for our 5th starter.

  7. #81
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think looking back over this and the other posters i responded to it's pretty obvious to me that I think Hill is an acceptable player, although I wish he would be more consistent, but I honestly think that C.J. Miles is probably one of the if not the worst starting 2's in the NBA.
    This seems a little harsh on CJ since to me you don't seem to think Hill is really all that acceptable either. If hill had speed or could create, then CJ would be perfectly acceptable in the Teague/Sefalosha vein.
    Danger Zone

  8. #82
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,753

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    CJ Miles' career games played have to be concerning:

    05-06: 23 (rookie year, so you can toss it aside)
    06-07: 37
    07-08: 60
    08-09: 72
    09-10: 63
    10-11: 78
    11-12: 56 (out of 66)
    12-13: 65
    13-14: 51

    In 9 years, he's only really had 3 years in which he played almost all of the games (08-09, 10-11, 11-12).

  9. #83

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CJ Miles' career games played have to be concerning:

    05-06: 23 (rookie year, so you can toss it aside)
    06-07: 37
    07-08: 60
    08-09: 72
    09-10: 63
    10-11: 78
    11-12: 56 (out of 66)
    12-13: 65
    13-14: 51

    In 9 years, he's only really had 3 years in which he played almost all of the games (08-09, 10-11, 11-12).
    Yea we need him to be healthy.

  10. #84

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    The games missed in his first three years were not due to injury. As mentioned, you can throw out the rookie year. In year two he spent time in the D league and when with Utah did not crack the rotation. In year three he didn't spend time in the D league but he still did not crack Utah's rotation.

    Since then, yes, he's had a lot of injuries: sprained wrist in 09-10, sprained calf in 11-12, bad ankle sprain last year. So at least it's not one thing coming back over and over again.

    In 2012-2013 he missed games apparently just because he went into a bad shooting slump and was taken out of the rotation: http://www.fearthesword.com/2012/11/...miles-to-bench
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  12. #85
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Monta Ellis is better than either of our guards, Felton isn't that good however he can handle the ball and can hit an open shot on occasion but he is better than Miles. So I think Monta makes them better.

    Let's not forget Dante Exum which from all reports looks like he could easily be a steal in the draft. But no Burks/Burk or Hayward (who I think plays 3 for them) is actually a very potent lineup. Hill matches up with them but Miles is not as good as any of them. So to me this goes to the Jazz.

    Oladipo and whoever is better than what we have, I truly believe he is a star in the making.

    As to Atlanta, maybe it's just the shell shock of the last playoffs but how the hell you can think that Jeff Teague isn't better than either of our guards by himself is amazing. I honestly thought higher of Jeff Teague than I did John Wall and Sefalosha is what he is, he's not there for points he's there to defend and rebound. Sorry but I think they are significantly better than us.

    I think looking back over this and the other posters i responded to it's pretty obvious to me that I think Hill is an acceptable player, although I wish he would be more consistent, but I honestly think that C.J. Miles is probably one of the if not the worst starting 2's in the NBA.
    Teague is a beast, and easily one of the most underrated players in the NBA. It wasn't a fluke what he did to us in the playoffs, and was superior to John Wall. For whatever reason, Teague has never had his "push" from the NBA. If we offered both Hill and Miles for Teague in a trade, Atlanta would laugh and hang up the phone
    David "And One" West

  13. #86

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Teague is a beast, and easily one of the most underrated players in the NBA. It wasn't a fluke what he did to us in the playoffs, and was superior to John Wall. For whatever reason, Teague has never had his "push" from the NBA. If we offered both Hill and Miles for Teague in a trade, Atlanta would laugh and hang up the phone
    That's funny because Atlanta was trying to trade him this summer.

    http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/5...ew-jeff-teague
    Last edited by immortality; 08-01-2014 at 06:12 PM.

  14. #87
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,627

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's funny because Atlanta was trying to trade him this summer.

    http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/5...ew-jeff-teague
    Um, did you post the wrong article? The one you just posted was the season ending review of Hawks players by a blogger and even in there I didn't read where the Hawks were looking to deal him.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  15. #88
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,249

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Teague is a beast, and easily one of the most underrated players in the NBA. It wasn't a fluke what he did to us in the playoffs, and was superior to John Wall. For whatever reason, Teague has never had his "push" from the NBA. If we offered both Hill and Miles for Teague in a trade, Atlanta would laugh and hang up the phone
    Totally. Teague was going blow for blow with Paul George...and like you say it was no fluke. That is exactly right. He is a very good and under-rated guard. Much better than George Hill and one of the better guards in the entire league.

  16. #89

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Idk, I am not in love with Teague, He shot under 40% from the field (39%) in the playoffs. He is a good player, but I don't think he is all-star level

  17. #90

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally. Teague was going blow for blow with Paul George...and like you say it was no fluke. That is exactly right. He is a very good and under-rated guard. Much better than George Hill and one of the better guards in the entire league.
    I wouldn't say he went blow for blow with PG...

    Paul George: 23.9 ppg 10.7 rpg 4.6 apg 46% FG 40% 3PT

    Jeff Teague 19.3 ppg 3.7 rpg 5.0 apg 39% FG 33% 3PT

    I think we may be overrating Teague a bit here, JMO.


    I think Teague is a good player in the league, I just don't think he is all-star caliber or a lot better than George Hill (Hill from 12-13 and the Hill we will likely get next year that is). He is certainly better don't get me wrong, but i don't think he is a ton better.

  18. #91
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,249

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Idk, I am not in love with Teague, He shot under 40% from the field (39%) in the playoffs. He is a good player, but I don't think he is all-star level
    He's 2 years younger than George Hill and averaged 19.3 to 12.1 ppg in the playoffs. On top of that, he got a lot more defensive attention. There really is no comparison. He may not be an all-star player but he's still one of the better guards in the league and a clear notch or two above George Hill who is the best of our backup crew of guards..

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  20. #92

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's 2 years younger than George Hill and averaged 19.3 to 12.1 ppg in the playoffs. On top of that, he got a lot more defensive attention. There really is no comparison. He may not be an all-star player but he's still one of the better guards in the league and a clear notch or two above George Hill who is the best of our backup crew of guards..
    He is better than George Hill, but i don't think its fair to compare them. They had totally different roles, and Hill will now have a more aggressive role in the offense. While he did also average more ppg than Hill in the playoffs, he was also less efficient in doing so.

    For comparison, Teague averaged 7 more points on about 7 more shots per game in the playoffs, thats not great.

  21. #93

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Um, did you post the wrong article? The one you just posted was the season ending review of Hawks players by a blogger and even in there I didn't read where the Hawks were looking to deal him.
    Woops,




    However, the Hawks are also not completely sold on Jeff Teague and could explore the market for him this summer. That's led them to take long looks at both Shabazz Napier and Payton at No. 15 if something materializes in the next few days. Napier, especially, seems to have gained momentum in workouts the past few weeks, and sources say he's moved into a strong possibility in Atlanta. ESPN.com


    http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/jeff_teague+trade

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:


  23. #94
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,249

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is better than George Hill, but i don't think its fair to compare them. They had totally different roles, and Hill will now have a more aggressive role in the offense. While he did also average more ppg than Hill in the playoffs, he was also less efficient in doing so.

    For comparison, Teague averaged 7 more points on about 7 more shots per game in the playoffs, thats not great.
    We also laid Paul George on him part of the time. Good luck to Hill if he had to phase that defense. The issue with Hill is that I've never seen him consistently aggressive. If he's going to be an important producer on offense, we need something more than that. Still, I like George. He just can't be your #3 option on offense. He does not qualify as a "big three" type of player. West and Paul George might be that. But not Hill.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  25. #95

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We also laid Paul George on him part of the time. Good luck to Hill if he had to phase that defense. The issue with Hill is that I've never seen him consistently aggressive. If he's going to be an important producer on offense, we need something more than that. Still, I like George. He just can't be your #3 option on offense. He does not qualify as a "big three" type of player. West and Paul George might be that. But not Hill.
    You don't necessarily need three big scorers to succeed, though I think Hill can be a 3rd option. Hill can be a 14-15 ppg guy, thats pretty good for a 3rd option.

  26. #96
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,627

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Woops,




    However, the Hawks are also not completely sold on Jeff Teague and could explore the market for him this summer. That's led them to take long looks at both Shabazz Napier and Payton at No. 15 if something materializes in the next few days. Napier, especially, seems to have gained momentum in workouts the past few weeks, and sources say he's moved into a strong possibility in Atlanta. ESPN.com


    http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/jeff_teague+trade
    Thanks that makes much more sense.

    Still I think Atlanta would be making a huge mistake if they were to trade Teague and not get back a really high end point guard. But hey I can hope can't I, let them trade him and then try and run Schroder at the point. At least we'd stay way out in front of them that way.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  27. #97
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,249

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't necessarily need three big scorers to succeed, though I think Hill can be a 3rd option. Hill can be a 14-15 ppg guy, thats pretty good for a 3rd option.
    Yes, Hill can be your third option on offense. But you will not contend if that is the case. He'd probably be the #1 option on the post-brawl team and maybe #2 or #3 on the Danny Granger 3-pt contest teams. But none of those teams even made the post season.

  28. #98

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, Hill can be your third option on offense. But you will not contend if that is the case. He'd probably be the #1 option on the post-brawl team and maybe #2 or #3 on the Danny Granger 3-pt contest teams. But none of those teams even made the post season.
    He was the 3rd option when we got to the ECF an PG wasn't even as good as he is now.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  30. #99
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,249

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was the 3rd option when we got to the ECF an PG wasn't even as good as he is now.
    Oh, you mean the year Hibbert had a monster playoffs (2012-13)? George Hill was #4 in scoring in the playoffs that year.

    Hill had one game against Miami where he scored one point.

  31. #100

    Default Re: Our starting backcourt

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, you mean the year Hibbert had a monster playoffs (2012-13)? George Hill was #4 in scoring in the playoffs that year.

    Hill had one game against Miami where he scored one point.
    Hibbert had a monster Miami series, but Hill was the 3rd option outside of that series, and he averaged 14.6 ppg that year in the playoffs. The bottom line to me is we don't need to have a great 3rd option, Hibbert can be the 3rd option, Hill can be the 3rd option, some nights Miles may even be the 2nd option. As a team we need PG to obviously be #1, West will be option #2, and the rest can sort itself out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •