Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our starting backcourt

Default Our starting backcourt

So I thought i would start a thread to get a little discussion going for our starting back-court, our front court is set and its a pretty good one with George/West/Hibbert down there. Our back court however has not been set, we know for sure, barring a trade, George Hill will occupy one of the two spots back there. Right now, to me the favorite appears to be C.J. Miles and Hill would slide back to the two spot. There has also been some discussion with Watson and Stuckey moving into the starting line-up as well.

So basically my question is this, what do you think of our starting back court, and what are your expectations for it?

Gotta Play Big

Default Re: Our starting backcourt

Assuming it's a combination of Hill, Stuckey, CJ Watson and CJ Miles...it has good depth but probably below average talent as compared to other teams in the league. It's not bad enough to have us drop near .500 but it will prevent us from a title with near certainty.

A better plan may be to go with Solomon Hill at the SF position and shift Paul to starting SG. The defense would be amazing. But if we do that, we better have a plan for the offense which might just disappear.

Personally, I don't think we're done our off-season move. I wouldn't be surprised if we added someone like Marion and moved George to SG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not one of those guys who cares what players start the game. Obviously Stuckey, Hill, Miles and Watson will see a lion's share of the time at point guard and shooting guard.

I would really like to see Hill get 10-15 minutes per game playing the two with Watson at point guard, Ian at Center, PG at SF and just run a little bit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On paper, we are very bad at guard. George Hill and CJ Miles doesn't give us any favorable matchups
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On paper, we are very bad at guard. George Hill and CJ Miles doesn't give us any favorable matchups
    This is where I think George Hill will prove people wrong, I can see Hill averaging 14/5/5, not all-star numbers but very solid guard play. C.J. Miles IMO is also a good player, he can get hot and go off for 25 points and win you a game, however other nights he may only score 7-8 points so I was worried about what we would do if he just didn't have it one game, and with us adding Rodney Stuckey I am a lot more confident in our team and I think we are still contenders.

I think most on this forum are too hung up on how many points we score. That's not important. What is important is how smoothly our offense runs and scoring MARGIN.

Last season, we maintained a very good margin, at least until we ran into problems with our offensive ball movement a little before the all-star break. On average, from start of the season through our last playoff game in the coming season, I think our offense will run better than it did last season. We have plenty of capable scorers, it's just a matter of utilizing them correctly and moving/sharing the ball.

I don't see the problems with our revised team and its offensive efficiency that many of you do. We will be okay. It's all a matter of how much Chicago, Cleveland and others have improved around us that will determine how far we go.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    A better plan may be to go with Solomon Hill
    If Solo proved to be good enough to start I would be ecstatic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    If Solo proved to be good enough to start I would be ecstatic.
    Me to, he has never really been given a chance.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Right now, to me the favorite appears to be C.J. Miles and Hill would slide back to the two spot. There has also been some discussion with Watson and Stuckey moving into the starting line-up as well.

So basically my question is this, what do you think of our starting back court, and what are your expectations for it?
    C.J. Miles is a SG that can play SF, if he is starting, GHIll will be the PG.

In my opinion, I think Stuckey at PG and GHill at SG would be our best bet. Stuckey has started a lot of games, mostly at PG, and has put up some pretty decent numbers. That also allows GHill to move to his more natural position of SG. I can see Stuckey averaging 13-15 ppg and around 5 apg, GHill would be around 13-14 ppg.

At least for this year, I would have Solo locked in at back-up SF and play him 13-14 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Me to, he has never really been given a chance.
    Sure he has. They earn their time (and starts) in practice. Apparently, he wasn't good enough for either last year.

Our backcourt is way below average for an elite NBA team. No doubt about it. If we don't improve it we will have a long season.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to doctor-h For This Useful Post:

I'd rather keep George Hill at point compared to the alternatives. I think that not having to play with a moping ball hog at SG will help his game immensely. I'd like to see CJ Miles as the starting SG. He is the best compliment to George out of the bunch. I think Watson and Stuckey will be a good combo off the bench. If that's how it works out, I don't think we are going to be in that bad of shape. Losing a dynamic player in Lance hurts, but he also stifled George Hill's game quite a bit and there are some positives with Lance gone.
    Bold prediction... George Hill will have the best year of his career and be considered, but probably not make the All Star team.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    Our backcourt is way below average for an elite NBA team. No doubt about it. If we don't improve it we will have a long season.
    SHHHHHHHHHHH. Don't tell the 2012-13 Indiana Pacers that.

That back court was about the same as what we will have this year and we made it to the ECF.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    SHHHHHHHHHHH. Don't tell the 2012-13 Indiana Pacers that.

That back court was about the same as what we will have this year and we made it to the ECF.
    Huh?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Something I want to point out that seems to have been completely forgotten about Hill is that last summer he was invited to the National Team camp. Either he's got more to him than people want to believe or he's the first schlub ever to be invited to spend time with the most elite group of Ball players this country can put together.

Do I think he's going to be a superstar? No. Is he going to be a 20 ppg scorer? No. But can he perform above expectations in a larger role than the one he had last year? I absolutely believe he can.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

So I thought i would start a thread to get a little discussion going for our starting back-court, our front court is set and its a pretty good one with George/West/Hibbert down there. Our back court however has not been set, we know for sure, barring a trade, George Hill will occupy one of the two spots back there. Right now, to me the favorite appears to be C.J. Miles and Hill would slide back to the two spot. There has also been some discussion with Watson and Stuckey moving into the starting line-up as well.

What does the bolded even mean? If people believe CJ Miles is anywhere close to a point guard then that would explain the bizarre theories that we'll have a better team than last season; clearly people have no idea who the guy is.

C.J. Miles IMO is also a good player, he can get hot and go off for 25 points and win you a game, however other nights he may only score 7-8 points
    He averaged 10ppg for the Cavs. "Other nights he may only score 7-8 points" is sugar coating it.

As for what I think of the backcourt, it looks really pathetic on paper.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Huh?
    Our staring back court in 2012-13 was GHill, who average 14.2 ppg/4.7 apg and Lance who averaged 8.8 ppg/2.9 apg.

If we start Stuckey at PG, his career averages are 13.9 ppg/3.9 apg and GHill at SG, his career averages are 10.7 ppg/3.0 apg.

Those are pretty comparable.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Mood

The off season is not over until training camp starts. Bird has made moves in the middle of August before. I am not convinced that any Pacer with an expiring contract still can't be moved. Love and Bledsoe are still on the table and moves will most likely be made by those teams involved. PHX is most likely not going to carry all of those backcourt players if they re sign Bledsoe. Teams are going to be trying to fill gaps and lose contracts, SAC is already indicating that they are over the cap and want under it.

So, things can still happen with the Pacers roster. I'll think about who starts and who rotates once the roster is set.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    What does the bolded even mean? If people believe CJ Miles is anywhere close to a point guard then that would explain the bizarre theories that we'll have a better team than last season; clearly people have no idea who the guy is.

He averaged 10ppg for the Cavs. "Other nights he may only score 7-8 points" is sugar coating it.

As for what I think of the backcourt, it looks really pathetic on paper.

CJ Miles is a terrific starting 2 guard. A pure shooter. How well he does here depends on who the PG is. Hill, is not "the guy".

Huh?
    Hes saying Lance was a 5th option averaging 9/4/3

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Our staring back court in 2012-13 was GHill, who average 14.2 ppg/4.7 apg and Lance who averaged 8.8 ppg/2.9 apg.

If we start Stuckey at PG, his career averages are 13.9 ppg/3.9 apg and GHill at SG, his career averages are 10.7 ppg/3.0 apg.

Those are pretty comparable.
    Oh man are you in for a surprise if you think Stuckey=2013 Lance...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Oh man are you in for a surprise if you think Stuckey=2013 Lance...
    I was thinking C.J. Miles = 2013 Lance, but why do you hold such a low opinion of Stuckey? The Pistons board I went to didn't think THAT lowly of him.

I was thinking C.J. Miles = 2013 Lance, but why do you hold such a low opinion of Stuckey? The Pistons board I went to didn't think THAT lowly of him.
    I've said my peace on him. Speaking from a specifically analytic standpoint. Stuckey will never be anyone's 4th or 5th option. He dominates the ball. Oh my god does he dominate the ball.

You cannot just plug in stuckey's stats and say "he's going to replace lance." He puts up those stats because he tries to score every time he has his hands on the ball.

Lance's usage rate in 2013 was 15.2. Even in his ball-hogging 2014 season (which angered the rest of his team), it rose to 19.4.

Stuckey's career average usage rate is 23.8. He has been tried as a starting PG, starting SG and as a 6th man. His usage rate never changes. his career low in 7 seasons was 21.

I've also said that Stuckey will find away to put points up n the board most nights. He does attack the rim really well, as well as post up smaller guards. But that also comes as the expense of the other four guys on the floor. He's relatively effective as a 6th man on a bench unit that spreads the floor with shooters. But to ask him to be anyone's 4th or 5th option is both sheer fantasy and a waste of the positive skills he does have.

Also, the other reason that you don't want him in your lineup is his defense is really bad.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-31-2014 at 12:41 PM.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Something I want to point out that seems to have been completely forgotten about Hill is that last summer he was invited to the National Team camp. Either he's got more to him than people want to believe or he's the first schlub ever to be invited to spend time with the most elite group of Ball players this country can put together.

Do I think he's going to be a superstar? No. Is he going to be a 20 ppg scorer? No. But can he perform above expectations in a larger role than the one he had last year? I absolutely believe he can.
    I really hope so and he really needs to be, otherwise I think our chances of reaching the ECF are going to be quite slim.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws