Thread: Cavs vs Heat on Christmas Day

Default Cavs vs Heat on Christmas Day

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...christmas-day/

Report: LeBron James, Cavaliers to face Heat on Christmas Day

The NBA will release its schedule for the 2014-15 season sometime next month, and there are few select dates that always grab some well-deserved additional attention.

Opening night is important, certainly, and we already have rumblings of one of the potential matchups — even though the defending champion Spurs going on the road to start the season in Cleveland would seem to go against the league’s recent trend of having the winners of the title receive their rings before anything else.

Christmas Day, however, is perhaps the most important day of the NBA schedule, because it’s the time when more casual fans of the sport truly begin to turn their attention to basketball. For that reason, the league always tries to put together a full slate of its most compelling matchups.

From Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald:

Barring an unexpected change of heart by the NBA, Christmas in Miami will feature LeBron James’ much-anticipated return to Miami in an opposing uniform.

Though the NBA’s schedule will not be finalized and released until mid-August, an unofficial internal schedule of select games has Cleveland playing the Heat in Miami on Christmas on ABC, according to a person familiar with the situation.

This was a completely obvious choice.

LeBron James facing his former teammates on the road, in the city he played in for the last four seasons — all of which resulted in trips to the NBA Finals — is something everyone wants to see. But technically, it won’t be the first time we’re treated to this particular matchup.

The NBA will play five preseason games in four countries as part of its Global Games schedule, and in a stroke of genius (or just unbelievable luck), Cleveland and Miami will play against one another on October 11 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

It’s a preseason game that doesn’t mean anything in the standings, and of course, there’s no guarantee that either team will be at full strength for an exhibition contest. But it’s going to be intriguing nonetheless.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cavs vs Heat on Christmas Day

I'm as shocked as the rest of you.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only question will be if there are more James fans in the building than heat fans. The idea of the Spurs having to go to Cleveland to open the season is more surprising.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only question will be if there are more James fans in the building than heat fans. The idea of the Spurs having to go to Cleveland to open the season is more surprising.
    I think they'd give Cleveland 82 home games if they could get away with it. More opportunities to watch the complete spectrum of Lebronism at play, especially if they end up not doing so well due to needing to mesh.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Not to mention BS I mean the Ravens/Broncos thing made sense last season due to a logistics issue with the Orioles but what's the excuse here?

The Spurs deserve to host the season opener and reveal their championship banner like the others have.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Eh, I wish this was a Thursday night game. I mean, there is no real animosity and the matchup itself won't be that exciting. I wish Christmas Day matchups included contests such as Mavs/Spurs, Clippers/Warriors, Bulls/Pacers and Thunder/Cavs. I know NY/Brooklyn and the Lakers are big draws, but those are usually boring games.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Eh, I wish this was a Thursday night game. I mean, there is no real animosity and the matchup itself won't be that exciting. I wish Christmas Day matchups included contests such as Mavs/Spurs, Clippers/Warriors, Bulls/Pacers and Thunder/Cavs. I know NY/Brooklyn and the Lakers are big draws, but those are usually boring games.
    Technically Christmas is on Thursday this year

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Technically Christmas is on Thursday this year
    I meant a random TNT Thursday night game.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I bet Mavs/Spurs get a spot, probably the 8:00 ESPN game. I think the ABC games will be Cleveland at Miami (5:30) and L.A. Clippers at Oklahoma City (3:00).
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think they'd give Cleveland 82 home games if they could get away with it. More opportunities to watch the complete spectrum of Lebronism at play, especially if they end up not doing so well due to needing to mesh.
    I would think the exact opposite would be true. Cleveland would be such a big draw to markets who struggle with attendance I would imagine the NBA would love to see them on the road all of the time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I bet Mavs/Spurs get a spot, probably the 8:00 ESPN game. I think the ABC games will be Cleveland at Miami (5:30) and L.A. Clippers at Oklahoma City (3:00).
    I think Pacers vs Bulls will be one of the games as well, probably will be the really early game on ESPN, think that first game starts at 12 est.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I want to see Lebron's first game back in Cleveland as a Cav - so whether they play the Spurs or another team, I want to see that. I think a Bulls vs Cavs would be a nice first game in Cleveland. Or even Pacers vs Cavs - Lebron vs PG - same matchup different teams.

Bill, do we have abet on how many games the pacers will have on ABC, ESPN and TNT - I thought we did. I forget what the bet was. or was this for last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I want to see Lebron's first game back in Cleveland as a Cav - so whether they play the Spurs or another team, I want to see that. I think a Bulls vs Cavs would be a nice first game in Cleveland. Or even Pacers vs Cavs - Lebron vs PG - same matchup different teams.

Bill, do we have abet on how many games the pacers will have on ABC, ESPN and TNT - I thought we did. I forget what the bet was. or was this for last year.
    I think we do for this year. It's a pie bet, of course, but I don't remember the numbers.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Pacers National TV Predictions:

0 ABC games (maybe will get one added later in the season like last year)
    2 TNT games
    4 ESPN games

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think we do for this year. It's a pie bet, of course, but I don't remember the numbers.
    I do I think you said zero and I said at least 1. I couldn't believe you even upped the bet to $500.00. I only take cash by the way.

I don't remember either, but losing Lance probably will lower the number a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Pacers National TV Predictions:

0 ABC games (maybe will get one added later in the season like last year)
    2 TNT games
    4 ESPN games
    so less than last year?

I do I think you said zero and I said at least 1. I couldn't believe you even upped the bet to $500.00. I only take cash by the way.

I don't remember either, but losing Lance probably will lower the number a few.

I can't search on "bet" so I can't find it. I was thinking we were talking in the 7-9 range as the dividing line, though.
    BillS

so less than last year?
    Yes. Last year at this time, we had a lot of hype and positive PR. This year OTOH, we are coming off of a late season collapse and just lost one of our more recognizable players.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

We won't play on Christmas but have more national games.

Honestly, I don't have an issue with us not playing on Christmas. I'd prefer to see the players and arena workers alike get the day off.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Honestly, I don't have an issue with us not playing on Christmas. I'd prefer to see the players and arena workers alike get the day off.
    You do make a good point. Sometimes I selfishly want things and don't think about everybody involved. Playing on Christmas is the NBA's premier regular season event and I think the city would be excited to see the Pacers play that day, but nobody is complaining about having it off either.