Thread: Anyone here a phlebotomist or work with blood tests?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anyone here a phlebotomist or work with blood tests?

I had to have a blood draw today (10 tubes worth). Never until today did I really have problems with it but they had a hard time drawing my blood. They stuck me twice in the left arm, once in the right, and finished up getting the blood from my left hand. The answer is yes, I have been drinking a lot of water (with lemon juice) and a couple of cups of tea today....well today a couple of cups of tea and a half liter of water (blood draw was at 1:00 and I finished exercising at 11:00 if that could make a difference).

Admittedly this worries me. I' diabetic with kidney problems and I don't want any bad numbers coming out of this blood test, I've worked too hard to get my sugar under control and lose weight....but this really has me worried.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 07-30-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone here a phlebotomist or work with blood tests?

Not sure about it affecting the needle sticks, but my doc did tell me not to exercise or eat or drink anything before the blood draw I had recently. He said the exercise could affect the results. The lady who drew my blood had a little trouble, which is unusual for me as well. I think it depends on the skill of the person doing it.

Mood

Thanks Ken...think I'd better tell the doc about the exercise.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

exercise will affect your blood tests to some extent.

I had blood work done early this summer and saw the doc later and apparently some enzyme levels were elevated that are related to muscle health, and iron was up too, with hematocrit (red blood cell count).

Doc said it was weird and wanted more tests done, then asked if I did some unusual (for me) exercise right before. The blood draw was actually the morning after I did a 30 mile bike ride in the heat, the longest ride I had done in years. That was what did it. I repeated the tests a month later and the results were fine.

I don't think it affects measurements like sugar levels, hormone levels, cholesterol, etc. so much though.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

renal function and muscle health tests.

Then to top it off I rec'd a dun from the medical lab yesterday for a PSA screen back in May that Medicare refused to pay for. I asked if they had sent it to my secondary insurance and was told No, Medicare denied it so they would too. Very snottily the girl told me I had signed paperwork saying that I would pay for it if it was denied and it was up to me to pay it. I'm compalining to Lilly today about Mid-America Clinical Laboratories. Lilly has always been very good at listening to their employees complaints about the insurance carriers etc., we'll see if that is still true.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My wife and I have had some interesting situations with our insurances recently. She is a nurse and believes it has do to with the Affordable Care Act. I went to a stand alone ER which took my insurance info. sucked out the money in the my health fund set up by my employer then billed me for the rest. I should have checked before i went if they were covered, but most places used to let you know if they took insurance before treatment. Now it seems they just want to make sure to get paid.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Mood

I give all credit to the staff at my Dr.'s office. I let them know about it and they called the lab's billing dept. and worked with them to re-code the procedure. We'll see if Medicare will accept it now but at least they all tried.
    As for this blood test, the Dr. called me today and I explained what happend and yep, exercise will thicken the blood (why didn't he tell me that before???) So, we'll see what the numbers look like and if any are way out of line we'll see if they need repeating or if a simple test can give him the info he wants.
    OK, so all of that stress and worry were for naught....but could have been avoided if the Dr. had just given me a few simple do's and don'ts ahead of time.

Mood

I was a very hard stick when they drew my blood today as well. I got five sticks and three lab techs before we got the seven tubes drawn. Doctor did my annual physical yesterday so I got the gammet to tests, especially since last time I was anemic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sounds like my 10 tube/5 sticks by 2 techs. Isn't it fun being a pin cushion?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Mood

I understand the pin cushion feeling. I go every three months for my blood draws at the VA and it is always like that. They always draw six tubes there but usually have to go three veins. I took my daughter one time and she passed out when they were digging for a vein.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

When you exercise you are stressing the muscles and increase the amount of muscle byproducts released into the bloodstream. So that's why it's "thicker" and some blood levels get artificially elevated.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Or you are just dehydrated. Causes increased hematocrit.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-