Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Beasley

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Michael Beasley

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think an idea is questionable it's probably best not to post it here. The most likely outcome is that all of the elitist genius basketball minds that make up this board will flame you without even bothering to give a thoughtful or respectful perspective.
    Seems to me that most of the people replying on this thread posted actual reasons why, so "all" is a little over the top, isn't it?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Beasley's main problem is that he is a tweener.
    That's one problem, but I'd say that the bigger problem was that he doesn't even try to play any defense. That is why he fell out of the Miami rotation.

Rashard Lewis is the same size and took his minutes, playing much better defense and not doing much on offense at all until he found his 3-point shot late in the playoffs. Beasley was a better offensive player over the season but he only cares about that end of the floor.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

So we would pick up Stuckey and Beasley in the same offseason? I don't think I could take it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Beasley's main problem is that he is a tweener. Not big enough to be an effective PF, but too slow to be a SF. Add to that his off court issues and you have a guy that's just not really worth it.

Now that's not to say that he cannot make a niche for himself in the league with some work on his game. He is about the same size as Boris Diaw. If he applied himself, he has a chance to do the same kind of things that Diaw does. Beasley does have some skills, but he does not seem to be interested in making the changes to his game that he needs to make in order to be a rotation guy.
    I don't think Beasley has the playmaking skills of Diaw. But the young man can score.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I don't think Beasley has the playmaking skills of Diaw. But the young man can score.
    I don't think he does either. But Diaw is a good example of a size challenged PF that has a niche in the league. Beasley cannot pass the way Diaw does, but he can score. If he works on his skill set, he could find a spot on a team that needs his skill set. But he is going to have to work at it. He is finding out that he is not a star or even a rotation guy. He is a part time role player that needs to bring positive intangibles to the game. Otherwise there are plenty of guys out there that can give the same kind of production, with less drama.

Beasley can score, but thats it.

Mood

I'd take a flyer on Beasley if his head is on straight. Maybe Brid can do what he did for Lance with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I'd take a flyer on Beasley if his head is on straight. Maybe Brid can do what he did for Lance with him.
    Is Lance's head really on straight? Or do some people just refuse to see the obvious?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

I am not saying Lance was the most stable but he was controlled much better than Artest for example.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

MIA desperately needed Beasley down the stretch and in the playoffs. Seems to me he wasn't much of a presence. Don't know if it was injury or what, but he was on the bench most of the time.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    MIA desperately needed Beasley down the stretch and in the playoffs. Seems to me he wasn't much of a presence. Don't know if it was injury or what, but he was on the bench most of the time.
    Yeah, Spolestra though Shane Battiers corpse was more appealing. That right there should tell you all you need to know.

Personally, I'd take a "cheap" chance on Beasley for his ability to score. With PG and Stephenson gone, that's a loss of 30+ points per game. Where is the scoring going come from to replace that 30+points? I'm not saying Beasley is going to replace all of it, but he might be able to replace 40-50% of it. I'd take a cheap flyer on him. JMOAA

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

There's no doubt in my mind that Beasely could drop 18-20 ppg if he was a starter for the Pacers. But he's obviously got serious issues. Teams in desperate need of scoring have acquired him for next to nothing and still refused to play him.

Besides, Justin Tyme, aren't you a notorious Lance hater? And you'd want this guy here?

Brains of the Operation.

Beasley is hoping to sign with Denver, but would strongly consider Seattle if a franchise moved there. Otherwise, he is content with reruns of Family Guy.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to littlerichard54 For This Useful Post:

I'll be honest - if you're looking for someone to play SF, I'd be looking at Evan Turner way before Beasley. I need a contract guru to let me know - even though the Pacers didn't give him a QO they could sign him as a UFA for less couldn't they?

Supposedly he has an agreement with the Celtics but no ink has met paper yet. All's fair in love, war, and responding to an unexpected injury. Besides, I'm certain that ripping off the Celtics earns you points toward getting into heaven.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

On Michael Beasley

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

That's why I want him on the team. He sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    On Michael Beasley

Instead of pointing the finger at Beasley...who is Lebron to tell someone to stop singing. if this was during a meeting or practice I would understand but there is no suggestion of that
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Hey, if we signed Beasley, Joel Embiid, JR Smith and JaVelle McGee we would have a "highly" entertaining team if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that Beasely could drop 18-20 ppg if he was a starter for the Pacers. But he's obviously got serious issues. Teams in desperate need of scoring have acquired him for next to nothing and still refused to play him.

Besides, Justin Tyme, aren't you a notorious Lance hater? And you'd want this guy here?

Notorious Stephenson hater? Here we go again with the word hater. Geez, it gets really old!!! Am I unhappy Stephenson is gone... no. Could I have lived with Stephenson as a Pacer on the contract he was offered... yes. Do I feel he and PG could have co-existed... no. Was I concerned Stephenson could be a future PR problem or a team chemistry problem... yes. But b/c one isn't "totally" for something they automatically get labeled a hater. Just SMH.

As far as Beasley vs Stephenson's attitude and behavior goes, Stephenson gets a pass by most b/c he wore Blue n Gold. I can't recall hearing any problems Beasley caused on other teams to be a major disruption. AGAIN, on a CHEAP contract for scoring purposes he might be worth taking a flyer.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Instead of pointing the finger at Beasley...who is Lebron to tell someone to stop singing. if this was during a meeting or practice I would understand but there is no suggestion of that
    I think it's hilarious and totally sums up Beasley's personality. He's probably an extremely fun friend, but there is immaturity there that has led to his lackluster career. I don't get why LeBron cared about how he ate his ice cream. I think that tweet is classic though.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Notorious Stephenson hater? Here we go again with the word hater. Geez, it gets really old!!! Am I unhappy Stephenson is gone... no. Could I have lived with Stephenson as a Pacer on the contract he was offered... yes. Do I feel he and PG could have co-existed... no. Was I concerned Stephenson could be a future PR problem or a team chemistry problem... yes. But b/c one isn't "totally" for something they automatically get labeled a hater. Just SMH.

As far as Beasley vs Stephenson's attitude and behavior goes, Stephenson gets a pass by most b/c he wore Blue n Gold. I can't recall hearing any problems Beasley caused on other teams to be a major disruption. AGAIN, on a CHEAP contract for scoring purposes he might be worth taking a flyer.
    Your labeling wasn't automatic, it was well earned over an extended series of posts spanning many threads. Your reasoning for the same things you just brought up again has never been explained with anything other than blind speculation. When people are so adamant about a position that they have no factual evidence to support, what do you think it looks like from a rational perspective?

Back on topic, ignoring his on the court issues (which basically amounts to doing what he wants when he wants, as opposed to what the coach drew up in practice), the guy is lucky to be warming the bench in the NBA. In a year or two he'll probably be averaging 45 ppg in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...f_court_issues

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If you are on Lebron's team and he tells you to stand on 1 leg and sing, you do it. No questions asked.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If you are on Lebron's team and he tells you to stand on 1 leg and sing, you do it. No questions asked.
    Sad and true
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

sav

old article, but sums up some of his issues:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-marijuana-use

Michael Beasley's NBA Hardships Stem from More Than Alleged Marijuana Use

...during an important practice session before a big game, the coach told his team to lean in and listen to instruction. All the players except Beasley took heed. Beasley reportedly began shouting and being disruptive....

At some point, Beasley has to get help for his self-control issue which could stem from an undiagnosed behavioral issue or some other as of yet unaddressed problem.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)