Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Free Agency - Pacers Perspective

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2015 Free Agency - Pacers Perspective

Perusing the pacers books for FA 2015 the payroll is 34.6 if both Hibbert and West opt out. even so, I dont see DWEST opting out unless its for an additional year. Hibbert most likely will opt out for the longer gauranteed contract. if Roy goes about his business and puts up average numbers and solid D he will get 10+ on the market.

Assuming the above West stays Hibbs opts out pacers would be at around 47 Million.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/in...s-team-salary/

Obviously there is no gaurantee that Hibbs opts and if so thats fine. 2016 would be an intersting summer as referenced above, the payroll would sit at 32 Million, leaving PG and Hill (final year) under contract that season (Miles, and Solo, and euroshooter).

Bottom line is, pacers are going to have significant cap available within the next 2 summers. List of 2015 Free Agents below.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99...ents-2014-2015

Who on this list intrigues you to team with PG on the distant horizon.

Dragic pacers obviously have interest. Milsap - if Dwest were to opt would be a nice get. Aldridge, another free agent is reportedly very close friends with Hibbert. Maybe Hibb can talk Aldridge into playing in the eastern conference with Indiana.

as a side topic, if the cavs called up Bird and offerred Wiggins and fillers for roy and west and maybe even hill would you all take it to pair PG with Wiggins for the next decade. how interesting would that be.. west, hibb, hill joining lebron in cleveland.

just kinda peeking down the road when this team has some cash to spend who would be a great fit next to PG.

i like big roy and its nothing personal but i dont trust handing him another 40M+/4 year contract. kinda on the fence until he refines his game about bringing him back.

will be interesting to see what the pacers can do with that extra 10 million lance would have taken as well.

Were looking at maybe a 70 mill salary cap and 85 hard cap in 2016 w essentially only PG and Hill (final season) on the books.

Reasonable to hope we can add another star to go along with PG in his prime right. We may take a step back this upcoming season but beyond our cap frees up considerably.

Any ideas who you all would like to see us pursue to team with Paul George the next summer or two. 2016 pacers could be at 32 million, lotta bread to throw around and a superstar already in the stable.

sound like Dragic is the guy Birds targeting if indeed Hibbs opts out.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2015 Free Agency - Pacers Perspective

There is about as much chance of Roy opting out as Bargnani/Soudemire for the Knicks this past season.

With his recent play Roy knows there is absolutely no way he will command near that money in the open market.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Dutch Pacers Fan

Gutting our entire roster for Wiggins? We would place ourselves outside the postseason just to wait and see if Wiggins turns out to be a star? No way anybody that's getting used to winning does that trade, he might as well turn out to be Rudy Gay instead of prime T-Mac. Anyway, I'd like to see what happens this year before getting rid of our core. Though it has been frustrating at times and I'd like to see them win it all, the last few seasons have been a blessing after so many years of mediocrity. You don't just blow that up, unless there is a no-brainer deal out there, which would of course keep us in contention.
    Yay, I don't know if we're going back to the play-offs!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacersgroningen For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hibbert has as much of a chance of opting out of a $15.5 million contract as I do of opting into one.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Hibbert isn't opting out. He won't make that kind of $$ elsewhere. He'll be a good trade bait though. A Lot of team will like a huge expiring contract
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

It's true, Roy's contract becomes very attractive trade bait in 2016. I really think thats the main chip in rebuilding for PGs prime ball years. So the question will be is who can they trade Roy's contract for a year from now. I think you'd always rather do it that way than way overpay for a Free Agent by letting him and West drop off.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's true, Roy's contract becomes very attractive trade bait in 2016. I really think thats the main chip in rebuilding for PGs prime ball years. So the question will be is who can they trade Roy's contract for a year from now. I think you'd always rather do it that way than way overpay for a Free Agent by letting him and West drop off.
    I am looking forward to Roy's money being off the book and having flexibility as opposed to what we can get for him in a trade.

Roy's expiring contract will look good to someone, but I doubt teams will be killing themselves to give us something substantial to acquire Roy for a few months at the end of the season.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

If Hibbert has another year like last season, then as several people pointed out he's probably not opting out.

If he has a good year like 2012-13 latter half + playoffs, then he's definitely opting out, but we'll probably want to use the money to re-sign him (if we can). Rim protectors are still highly valued in the league.

Either way, it seems doubtful we'd be players in 2015 free agency.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird already ruined FA in 2014. Hard to do much worse next summer
    David "And One" West

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Bird already ruined FA in 2014. Hard to do much worse next summer
    lol. This guy....

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

You don't think that Roy could get a 4-48 million dollar contract right now? You guys are severely under rating our two time all-star. Roy will be 28 years old looking at either 16 million garunteed or 48 million. I would say it is very possible that he opts out. Not opting out would be the same as Lance taking the Charlotte deal. But Roy will be a 28 year old 7 footer, not a 24 year old guard.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

We all know Roy is opting in. I think West will opt OUT next offseason. I think he'll go chase a ring, and I don't blame him. He cares more than anyone on this team and I want to see him get a title.
    Here we come lottery?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, I disagree with those who guarantee Roy opts in. Its not a given by any means. Centers get paid in this lg. Even after an abysmal second half of the season performance Roy would still get 10 Million on the market right now. I think many of us have moderate hope that Roy plays closer to form next year which will land him back in the 12-15 range.

Some of you all are severely underestimating the value of a guaranteed contract.

If Roy can get a 48/4 contract he will opt out. 48/4 is very reasonable salary for a center of Hibberts caliber. Players can have career ending injuries at any time. I think many of you would do the same and give up 3 million for the added security of 48 million over 4 seasons.

If your big roy and play 2015 season under a one year contract and get injured your leaving alotta of money on the table. Roy could put up goose eggs rebounding and scoring wise and someone would still pay close to 8M a season for his services. Not really expecting Roy to play any worse than he did last year.

puzzling so many believe its a absolute certainty Roy opts in. Again.

1 year @ 15.5

or 4 years @ approx 12.5+

Which contract would you all advise Hibbert to go with if your his Agent.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    You don't think that Roy could get a 4-48 million dollar contract right now? You guys are severely under rating our two time all-star. Roy will be 28 years old looking at either 16 million garunteed or 48 million. I would say it is very possible that he opts out. Not opting out would be the same as Lance taking the Charlotte deal. But Roy will be a 28 year old 7 footer, not a 24 year old guard.
    How can anybody be underrated when they get schooled by Pero Antic?
    David "And One" West

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    Yea, I disagree with those who guarantee Roy opts in. Its not a given by any means. Centers get paid in this lg. Even after an abysmal second half of the season performance Roy would still get 10 Million on the market right now. I think many of us have moderate hope that Roy plays closer to form next year which will land him back in the 12-15 range.

Some of you all are severely underestimating the value of a guaranteed contract.

If Roy can get a 48/4 contract he will opt out. 48/4 is very reasonable salary for a center of Hibberts caliber. Players can have career ending injuries at any time. I think many of you would do the same and give up 3 million for the added security of 48 million over 4 seasons.

If your big roy and play 2015 season under a one year contract and get injured your leaving alotta of money on the table. Roy could put up goose eggs rebounding and scoring wise and someone would still pay close to 8M a season for his services. Not really expecting Roy to play any worse than he did last year.

1 year @ 15.5

Just as you believe people are underestimating Roy's value I believe you are overestimating it. Yes, centers get paid, I get that. Unless Roy shows some consistency though I really wonder if he will get paid. He will be what, 29 when the contract is up? Add to this he seems to be an old 29 based on how he moves and he may be a 20-25 minute per game guy by this point, and I don't think you will have teams throwing 12.5 million bucks at him.

If he becomes 1st half Roy all of the sudden, sure, I suppose I can see a 4/48 type offer. I am just not seeing this.

Mood

>>>How can anybody be underrated when they get schooled by Pero Antic?

This idea that he was "schooled" by Pero Antic is laughable. Let's look at Pero's season numbers, shall we?
    50 GP 18.5MPG 7.0PPG on just a tick under 42% from the field.
    And now his postseason numbers vs. Pacers and Roy Hibbert :
    7 GP 24.3MPG 3.1PPG on just a tick under 17% from the field.

He really killed Roy...

To the other part of your response, Roy is under rated by Pacers fans. He's 7'2" and an annual DPOY candidate, even if he gave nothing on offense he'd still be getting paid. Dudes that size simply don't grow on trees. He's the best interior defender in the league. Period. Tyson Chandler makes more than him and gives essentially nothing on O and less impact on D. Opponents were shooting 45% around the rim in the Playoff when Roy was patrolling the paint, and that's him at his "worst". You can't understate that type of impact.
    Last edited by Drew46229; 07-29-2014 at 01:25 PM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew46229 For This Useful Post:

1 year @ 15.5

Both. Get 1 year at 15.5 then he would still be young enough (and presumably good enough) to get a 4 year deal at 12+.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    We all know Roy is opting in. I think West will opt OUT next offseason. I think he'll go chase a ring, and I don't blame him. He cares more than anyone on this team and I want to see him get a title.
    So hell have 3-5 teams to choose from that have a better shot than us to win it. And they won't be able to pay him anything? Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    How can anybody be underrated when they get schooled by Pero Antic?
    Lol, yea Antic's 3 ppg destroyed Roy

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Both. Get 1 year at 15.5 then he would still be young enough (and presumably good enough) to get a 4 year deal at 12+.
    Or Roy blows out his knee during the final year of his contract and loses a guaranteed 48 Million. Roys going to get paid regardless after he opts out.

he can make 15.5 or whatever the market dictates which one can safely assume is 12+ and gamble on staying healthy, or take the gauranteed $ losing a couple million but gaining security of 48 over 4.

Again, if your his agent what would you advise.

Take into account Roy knows he has an opt out option and one can safely predict Roy will have a bounce back season. Assume he finishes top 3 in DPOY category and averages a few more points and couple boards more a game this season.

He will get an extension from some GM in this league. I was also informed on several occassions by PD that Lance was a lock to return to the blue and gold. I know i was one of the very few that subtly suggested trading Lance last all star break for a solid vet and 1st rounder so we could get some kind of return on Stephenson. I understtand Bird was "all in." but if this Franchise already had a championship I think Bird would have made that move and not lost Lance for nothing in return.

Nothing against Lance but he was not a good fit with our starting 5. A blind monkey with an NBA fantasy team could see that coming way before the second half collapse. Again, fully understand Birds motives, but Lance was not likely going to ever be a good investment for a small market Franchise. Bird shoulda dealt his rucker park shannigans when his value was maxed.

Unless big roys skillset regresses to greg dreilng type proportions, there is a good chance he opts out next summer. If that happens DWest could follow suite. Personally I would be A ok with both opting out, freeing up cap space to sign a stud like Dragic, then rework both of their deals.

Look at what Gortat got this offseason, and what Pekovic got last season. You don't think that Roy could get a 4/48 contract. Roy is worse than those guys?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    on 16% shooting, literally. people just make stuff up in the summer time.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    Look at what Gortat got this offseason, and what Pekovic got last season. You don't think that Roy could get a 4/48 contract. Roy is worse than those guys?
    Depends which Roy we are talking about. The one from the first half of last year, yes he is better. 2nd half Roy, way worse than those guys.

Or Roy blows out his knee during the final year of his contract and loses a guaranteed 48 Million. Roys going to get paid regardless after he opts out.

he can make 15.5 or whatever the market dictates which one can safely assume is 12+ and gamble on staying healthy, or take the gauranteed $ losing a couple million but gaining security of 48 over 4.

Again, if your his agent what would you advise.

Take into account Roy knows he has an opt out option and one can safely predict Roy will have a bounce back season. Assume he finishes top 3 in DPOY category and averages a few more points and couple boards more a game this season.

He will get an extension from some GM in this league. I was also informed on several occassions by PD that Lance was a lock to return to the blue and gold. I know i was one of the very few that subtly suggested trading Lance last all star break for a solid vet and 1st rounder so we could get some kind of return on Stephenson. I understtand Bird was "all in." but if this Franchise already had a championship I think Bird would have made that move and not lost Lance for nothing in return.

Nothing against Lance but he was not a good fit with our starting 5. A blind monkey with an NBA fantasy team could see that coming way before the second half collapse. Again, fully understand Birds motives, but Lance was not likely going to ever be a good investment for a small market Franchise. Bird shoulda dealt his rucker park shannigans when his value was maxed.

Unless big roys skillset regresses to greg dreilng type proportions, there is a good chance he opts out next summer. If that happens DWest could follow suite. Personally I would be A ok with both opting out, freeing up cap space to sign a stud like Dragic, then rework both of their deals.
    There is supposed to be more TV money available in 2016. Those that are currently getting $10-12 million per year could be in the $15-18 million range. Why opt out and sign a 4year deal at $12 million per year when you could get $15 million one year and then sign a 4 year deal at $15-18 million per year? I know it is a gamble that he could get injured, but Hibbert has a history of being healthy. Also, Hibbert is in a position financially where he can gamble, even if he gets injured, he won't be standing in the welfare line.

I know some may disagree (which is fine) but if I were Hibbert's agent, I would advise him to take the last year at $15.5 and then become a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Wasn't Roy benched vs Atlanta? How can a player be underrated when he gets benched in the biggest games of the year?
    David "And One" West