Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Nash confirms that this will be his last NBA season

Default Steve Nash confirms that this will be his last NBA season

As he has labored tirelessly through back pain for the last two years, Steve Nash all but confirmed the obvious when looking ahead on what the last year of his $9.7 million with the Lakers will mean for his NBA future.

“I think this is my last season,” said the 40-year-old Nash in a video posted by Sport TV. But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”

The Lakers have not wavered on their stance that they would keep Nash for next season. Although the Lakers could waive him through the so-called amnesty provision, that would require them to pay out his salary through three years instead of one. Doing that could compromise the Lakers’ hopes to pursue high-level free agents both in 2015 (Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Rajon Rondo) and 2016 (Kevin Durant).

The Lakers hardly have much confidence Nash can fully heal from a back injury that kept him sidelined for all but 15 games last season. That partly explains why the Lakers acquired Jeremy Lin in a trade from Houston and paid $1.8 million to Washington for their 46th draft pick to select Jordan Clarkson. But Nash could prove an integral piece, playing a mentor role even if it involves playing as a reserve in limited minutes.

Nash’s fledgling health marks one of the many reasons why the Lakers are expected to have a lengthy rebuilding process with another likely missed playoff appearance.

“They’re waiting to see which free agents are available next summer and the summer after, to be honest.” Nash said of the Lakers’ rebuilding strategy. It’s a cyclical league and sometimes you have to go down to come back up. Right now, the Lakers are down and it takes time. I don’t know if we’re going to have a chance this year or not. But obviously in the future, they’ll be back where they have been many times.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...st-nba-season/

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steve Nash confirms that this will be his last NBA season

I think his last season for practical purposes was two seasons ago.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I expected this to be an onion article.

By the way, the lakers can't amnesty Nash. His contract was signed after the lockout. It also completely missed the point of the amnesty rule, which is the affected player's salary does not count against the cap. Who wrote this?
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-29-2014 at 05:55 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

The Lakers decision/discussion was about whether or not they would waive him using the stretch provision. That would spread his salary out and lower the cap hit for this year, but of course it would add a little to the cap in the following two years. It was wise to get it over with this year, since they aren't winning anything this year anyway.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man some of you know more about the NBA than the "writers". Artest was amnestied. They can't amnesty another player, and Nash does not qualify. That is like people saying we should amnesty Mahimi.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man some of you know more about the NBA than the "writers". Artest was amnestied. They can't amnesty another player, and Nash does not qualify. That is like people saying we should amnesty Mahimi.
    Right, the writer said amnesty, but described the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

I think some of the players themselves don't even understand the amnesty rule. I recall the summer we signed Gerald Green the team had a golf outing some time during training camp. In one of the behind the scenes videos it showed Roy kind of messing around on the golf cart that Gerald was driving (Roy had just signed his big contract) and Gerald said to him something along the lines of, "Don't be messing around while I'm driving, Roy. If something happens to you and it's my fault, Larry will amnesty me."

Granted this was said as a joke but the Pacers had already used their amnesty on Posey AND you can't amnesty newly signed players like Gerald was.

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    I think some of the players themselves don't even understand the amnesty rule. I recall the summer we signed Gerald Green the team had a golf outing some time during training camp. In one of the behind the scenes videos it showed Roy kind of messing around on the golf cart that Gerald was driving (Roy had just signed his big contract) and Gerald said to him something along the lines of, "Don't be messing around while I'm driving, Roy. If something happens to you and it's my fault, Larry will amnesty me."

Granted this was said as a joke but the Pacers had already used their amnesty on Posey AND you can't amnesty newly signed players like Gerald was.
    In all fairness, I'm not sure its the players' job to understand the amnesty rule.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

the article got fixed to say stretch provision rather than amnesty provision
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Question of the day: How many championships would Dirk and Nash have won together in Dallas if Cuban didn't choose Erik Dampier over Steve Nash in 2004?

I'll say at least two. They probably finish the job in 06 if he's on there. Maybe would have repeated the next year. Still win in 2011 if everything else is the same.

Kidd's defense was outstanding in the 2011 playoffs though. Got a ton of steals and forced Kobe and the Heat into some difficult shots.

None actually I think Nash is one of those players doomed to never win a ring

Like John Stockton, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing....

Wouldn't surprise me that after Nash retires the Lakers will win a ring without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    None actually I think Nash is one of those players doomed to never win a ring

Like John Stockton, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing....

Wouldn't surprise me that after Nash retires the Lakers will win a ring without him.
    Dirk was too great to not make at least a couple of Finals regardless of who his teammates were.

That being said, Kidd was a better defender in 2011 than Nash. Kidd's solid D played perfectly into their overall identity, which was that of a very good defensive team.

Prime Dirk and Nash in 06 or 07 absolutely gets at least one title, IMO.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Dirk was too great to not make at least a couple of Finals regardless of who his teammates were.

That being said, Kidd was a better defender in 2011 than Nash. Kidd's solid D played perfectly into their overall identity, which was that of a very good defensive team.

Kidd today is a better defender than Nash in 2011.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Kidd today is a better defender than Nash in 2011.
    My grandkid today is a better defender than Nash in 2011. And she's yet to hit her prime. She's 7.

He made those Finals appearances without Nash and two different coaches.

As mentioned in the thread he was a liability on defense so I think getting rid of that helped the Mavericks.

Mood

Question of the day: How many championships would Dirk and Nash have won together in Dallas if Cuban didn't choose Erik Dampier over Steve Nash in 2004?

I'll say at least two. They probably finish the job in 06 if he's on there. Maybe would have repeated the next year. Still win in 2011 if everything else is the same.

Kidd's defense was outstanding in the 2011 playoffs though. Got a ton of steals and forced Kobe and the Heat into some difficult shots.
    2006 was the year they lost to Miami? Correct? If so there is no way that Dallas was winning that title even with Nash. The refs were bound and determined to turn that finals into the Dwyane Wade lovefest/free throw challenge.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

I know I'm in the minority but Prime Steve Nash is overrated IMO. Couldn't guard ANYONE, and his teams weren't quite as effective once they got into tough playoff competition. I'll admit, he had some tough luck with injuries (young Joe Johnson, then Amare) but his teams were created to perfectly compliment his skills and yet they NEVER made a single finals apperance. That says a lot to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Don't know what the Lakers are thinking starting him over Lin.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Don't know what the Lakers are thinking starting him over Lin.
    Dude, they just got a coach earlier this week. How the hell do you know that Nash will start?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I know I'm in the minority but Prime Steve Nash is overrated IMO. Couldn't guard ANYONE, and his teams weren't quite as effective once they got into tough playoff competition. I'll admit, he had some tough luck with injuries (young Joe Johnson, then Amare) but his teams were created to perfectly compliment his skills and yet they NEVER made a single finals apperance. That says a lot to me.
    I don't think Nash is overrated. He is probably a top 50 all time player. Nash's defense was terrible, no doubt about it, but so was Magic Johnson. The difference was that the Lakers had an athletic, back line defense that could mask Magic's weaknesses somewhat while Nash never had such a luxury, so he continually got exposed.

My point is that if Nash is overrated because his defense was horrible so was Magic Johnson IMO.

Magic was never on an NBA all defensive team, and he wasn't a great defender. No way was he a "terrible" defender though. He hustled. Just to give you an idea, he was 7th in defensive win shares one year and 56th all-time (check basketball-reference)! Magic is also 217th place in defensive rating in NBA history out of over 3000 players who've played the game the last 50 years. He won 2 steals titles, pulled down more defensive boards than most small forwards in the league at his height, and took plenty of offensive fouls.

You don't win titles without defense and usually Magic was more focused on the transition from defense to offense because that was the Lakers formula. From what I watched during his career, he did what was needed and asked of him.

He wasn't the quickest since he was 6'9 but his length gave lots of guards trouble. Magic was a good help defender and good at guarding forwards and players on the block. Not good at containing quick guards on the perimeter though. But the Lakers usually had great defensive 2 guards who could take on tiny fast opposing PGs.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 07-30-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I sort of doubt they would have even made the Finals with the Dirk/Nash combo unless the rest of the team got a huge face lift. As bad as the Dampier signing was in a vacuum, it was very symbolic of the change in direction that the Mavs were taking. For all of Dampier's faults, and he definitely had a ton of them, he was a very smart defensive player that knew his limitations (except on offensive rebounds... pass the damn ball, Damp!). The 05-06 Mavs were a salty defensive team and they likely couldn't have forged that sort of identity if they were giving Nash 5 years/$60M. It would have been tough to revamp that roster and cover for Nash's defensive deficiencies.

Cuban had the right idea when basically replacing a Nash type with a Dampier type... he just didn't find the right defensive center until 5 years later when they traded Dampier's fully non-guaranteed deal to the Bobcats for Tyson Chandler.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I don't think Nash is overrated. He is probably a top 50 all time player. Nash's defense was terrible, no doubt about it, but so was Magic Johnson. The difference was that the Lakers had an athletic, back line defense that could mask Magic's weaknesses somewhat while Nash never had such a luxury, so he continually got exposed.

My point is that if Nash is overrated because his defense was horrible so was Magic Johnson IMO.
    His defense isnt the only reason he's overrated, but man was it lousy. I feel he was overrated because for a guy that won 2 MVP's he couldn't even get his team in a position to win a championship --in the finals. Also he was only "great" for the handful of seasons when he played in a completely wide open, spread offense that nurtured his skills and attpted to mask the fact that he didn't play a lick of defense. Prior to those years with D'Antoni; Nash was simply an All star calliber PG, not a super-duper top 50 player.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 07-30-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    His defense isnt the only reason he's overrated, but man was it lousy. I feel he was overrated because for a guy that won 2 MVP's he couldn't even get his team in a position to win a championship. Also he was only "great" for the handful of seasons when he played in a completely wide open, spread offense that nurtured his skills and attpted to mask the fact that he didn't play a lick of defense. Prior to those years with D'Antoni; Nash was simply an All star calliber PG, not a super-duper top 50 player.
    The suns were arguably the 2nd best team in the nba in both 2007 and 2010. Both years they got derailed by freak occurrences. To say Nash never had his team close to a championship is flat out wrong.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I sort of doubt they would have even made the Finals with the Dirk/Nash combo unless the rest of the team got a huge face lift. As bad as the Dampier signing was in a vacuum, it was very symbolic of the change in direction that the Mavs were taking. For all of Dampier's faults, and he definitely had a ton of them, he was a very smart defensive player that knew his limitations (except on offensive rebounds... pass the damn ball, Damp!). The 05-06 Mavs were a salty defensive team and they likely couldn't have forged that sort of identity if they were giving Nash 5 years/$60M. It would have been tough to revamp that roster and cover for Nash's defensive deficiencies.

Cuban had the right idea when basically replacing a Nash type with a Dampier type... he just didn't find the right defensive center until 5 years later when they traded Dampier's fully non-guaranteed deal to the Bobcats for Tyson Chandler.
    In 02-03 with Dirk and Nash, they won 60 games and took the dominant Spurs to 6 games in the WCF's. I just have a really hard time believing that Dirk and Nash wouldn't have won at least one title together. I firmly believe that Dirk was so great that he would have gone to the Finals at some point no matter what. Him and a prime Nash would have been absolutely potent offensively, and I think that they could have constructed a decent enough defensive team to win a title.

Dirk's surrounding core has always been kind of unstable in Dallas. Who is the teammate that he played the longest with? Jason Terry? It's a stark contrast to Duncan, who has played a dozen seasons with both Parker and Manu. Cuban has obviously been a damn good owner and won his ring, but I think that a better GM could have squeezed out another title in the Dirk era.