Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George's Favorite Memory as a Rookie

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/p...om%3Afoxsports

Pacer Paul George's best rookie memory? When his coach got fired
    FOX Sports

JUL 26, 2014 5:14p ET SHARE 4.1K TWEET 22 8

Aaron Doster / USA TODAY Sports
    Paul George calls it like he sees it.

You've got to give him points for honesty.
    Indiana Pacer Paul George took to Twitter on Friday night, offering to answer 10 random questions from his tweeps. And his answers were fun and genuine, if a little safe and predictable (favorite celebrity crush: Sofia Vergara, fave movie: "Saving Private Ryan," favorite drink: Gatorade and strawberry lemonade).

Until a fan asked the two-time NBA All-Star his favorite rookie memory.

Now, George joined Indiana in 2010, and the Pacers started the season with a dismal 17-27 record until Larry Bird ousted head coach Jim O'Brien and replaced him with assistant coach Frank Vogel. Indiana then went on to clinch their first playoff berth since 2006 and embark on what has come to be known as the "Paul George era."

So naturally, George answered that his best memory from that season was when O'Brien got his walking papers:

Paul George ✔ @Paul_George24
    Follow
    Firing Obrien and starting in playoffs RT @ballsohardmj: @Paul_George24 Best memory as a rook?
    2:38 AM - 26 Jul 2014

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George's Favorite Memory as a Rookie

That was also my favorite memory.

4. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

That was probably Jim O'briens least favorite memory.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yes, this was mentioned in the offseason thread. I am not sure why PG would chose to "go there" but whatever.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Who knows what he means? That quick turnaround to get into the playoffs started with O'Brien's firing, so he'd have to mention it even if his favorite part was the turnaround.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

O'Brien is not qualified to coach a YMCA team.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I thought maybe PG's favorite memory was his first visit to a strip club. DOH!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Brien is not qualified to coach a YMCA team.
    O'Brien was/is one of the best minds in the game. His old school tough love approach to dealing with players is a thing of the past though.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    That was probably Jim O'briens least favorite memory.
    No, I think Jimmy was ready to go. Him telling Larry the team couldn't make the playoffs is pretty much begging to be fired.

Now, Vogel immediately leading the team in a complete 180, and just getting better and better and better for 3 straight years, that probably doesn't sit too well with him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    O'Brien was/is one of the best minds in the game. His old school tough love approach to dealing with players is a thing of the past though.
    I'm pretty sure putting a 33? year old Posey on Amare and griffin disqualifies him from being one of the best minds in basketball.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to oxxo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo View Post
    I'm pretty sure putting a 33? year old Posey on Amare and griffin disqualifies him from being one of the best minds in basketball.
    And if that don't, then coaching James Posey to take almost 90% of his field goal attempts from behind the arc certainly does.

I still swear that Slick was ready to come down from the announcing booth and tell Jimmy to take a seat in that Clippers game.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

People don't like to talk about it but he knew making it through his 4th year was unlikely and built his staff that year specifically so Frank would get his chance. Not like they were going to promote Waltah McCarty or Vitaly Potapenko or give it to Burke and risk having to lose a company man who they'd clearly never thought had a future as a head guy.

Anyway, I wish PG'd have taken the high road. You're the face of the franchise now, get over it, at least publicly.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    No, I think Jimmy was ready to go. Him telling Larry the team couldn't make the playoffs is pretty much begging to be fired.

Now, Vogel immediately leading the team in a complete 180, and just getting better and better and better for 3 straight years, that probably doesn't sit too well with him.
    more 2 1/2 straight years. Either way, the comment seems out of line to me. Yeah for honesty and all that, but you are a leader on a team that went from leading contender in the NBA to laughingstock over the course of approximately one month. I'm sick of PG and Hibbert being in the news for bad play, bad off the court actions, and stupid comments.
    Danger Zone

Weird, PG always credits O'brien for helping him become a great defender.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

If you can't say something nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    And if that don't, then coaching James Posey to take almost 90% of his field goal attempts from behind the arc certainly does.

I still swear that Slick was ready to come down from the announcing booth and tell Jimmy to take a seat in that Clippers game.
    That was one of the most frustrating games I've been to. I feel bad for Los Angeles (and his gf), who had to listen to my post-game rant until we got back to Venice.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

This was my favorite memory of Paul's rookie season as well.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah, that same old, washed up Posey played a pivotal role in helping Boston get the title in 08.

I get it, people here don't like small ball. It almost killed us in the Atlanta series and we didn't have great talent when we tried to employ it here.

Just because O'Brien wasn't successful here doesn't mean he is a complete idiot or didn't know the game. I get people saying they didn't like the style we played, but the man knew his stuff. He never seems to be out of work for too long, that should tell you he is decently respected in NBA circles for something.

Yeah, that same old, washed up Posey played a pivotal role in helping Boston get the title in 08.

I get it, people here don't like small ball. It almost killed us in the Atlanta series and we didn't have great talent when we tried to employ it here.

Just because O'Brien wasn't successful here doesn't mean he is a complete idiot or didn't know the game. I get people saying they didn't like the style we played, but the man knew his stuff. He never seems to be out of work for too long, that should tell you he is decently respected in NBA circles for something.
    He was useful to bring in as a disciplinarian. Otherwise, he failed to adapt his style to the players on the team and that resulted in years of bad teams...where his record never came close to .500. The fact he didn't have great players was part of it and the only excuse he really has available. But even a child could see he wasn't using the players correctly or to their strengths. It was a great example of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole where the hole wasn't all that good of an idea anyway.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I'll just say this, in all of my life I have never EVER seen a coach as openly hated by his former players as Jim O'Brien was. I'm not talking just here. Go google Jim O'Brien and Chris Webber and read that. Samuel Dalembert, Glenn Robinson, Grant Long, Mark Blount, Roy Hibbert, Tyler Hansbrough and now Paul George have all openly and publicly spoken very poorly about Jim O'Brien. Jermaine O'Neal did not trash him per se, but he did say his time together was not productive because he didn't know how to use him.

My favorite was either when Samuel Dalembert said he would have played on one leg with the flu to have a chance to beat O'Brien's team. Or when Grant Long just came out and said he was the worst coach he had ever played for in his 14 years.

Here is the thing, Jim O'Brien was a very intelligent coach. He was probably too smart for his own good. He stopped using instinct and started almost exclusively playing %'s. In other words no matter the roster he had he had come to the conclusion that spreading the floor on the offensive end was the end all be all of winning basketball by %. You can scoff at him all you want but if you look at any of the teams that have won the title the past 4 years you will see that this is exactly the style of play that they have mostly used.

However the problem is that spreading the floor is only part of the equation. You have to have world class penetrators and playmakers for it to truly succeed and this is where Jim failed. His acerbic personality also did him no favors.

I hated his style of basketball, I still do. I wish the NBA would change the defensive rules again to include hand checking on the perimeter.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Yes, as a small forward playing solid stellar defense.

Not as an aging overweight immobile power forward who's only skill left was to shoot three point shots. Is it a coincidence that both of his pets (Murphy & Posey) could never find steady work again in the NBA after being away from Jim?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

I hear you guys. I will not defend JOB with how he handled players, or his personality.

The fact is that he was ahead of his time when it came to metrics and advance analytics. If you want to question how he handled people go right ahead, I just don't but that the guy was a complete, utter buffoon. He was/is really intelligent.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

O'Brien was just having a josh with us there.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    O'Brien was just having a josh with us there.
    Ole Jimmy was always such a ham
    Last edited by rock747; 07-27-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

The day Jim got fired, the Pacers became fun to watch again.

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post: