Thread: Changes to the ABA Keeper League - Discussion Thread

Default Changes to the ABA Keeper League - Discussion Thread

Let this thread serve as the starting point for more focused debates (and eventually votes) pertaining to ABA Keeper League alterations.

First off, the question of why needs to be answered. Why do we want to change things? It would be helpful to discuss our goals first so that we better tailor any prospective changes toward meeting those goals. Is it a simple question of participation, or do we need to address competitiveness as well?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Changes to the ABA Keeper League - Discussion Thread

Since I started this, let me weigh in.

I feel the part of the problem is we have two leagues that are set up exactly the same. The only difference is the amount of keepers. At the beginning I thought this would be positive, now it appears to be a major drawback.

Another issue has to be the lack of our yearly re-draft league, the original A.B.A.. With out that league filtering out weak owners we're left with about a quarter of the league not putting in the time or effort that others are use to.

Boredom is another issue. We've been playing with the same set of rules for more than 10 years now.

With all that said, I would like to see some minor changes made to our league. Nothing to the extent I proposed on the league site. I attempted to set up a league with those rules before without the success I was looking for. Next fall I will try once again to start up a 15 player salaried based keeper league.

How much do you think competitiveness has to do with inactivity? I mean, are the owners absentee GMs because they have ****** teams? And, if so, do we then want to provide them with more and better opportunities to improve their squads - within and between seasons - than simple waiver wire primacy?
    Last edited by LG33; 03-04-2015 at 12:23 AM.

Look at the most active owner list and match it up with their W-L record.

I haven't done that so I'm not really sure what it might say.

Off the top of my head I don't think how well your team is doing indicates how active you are.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

what do people think of changing the # of keepers drastically (maybe down to 5 or 4 even, with potential additional keepers for young players)? just throwing ideas out as to other ways in which teams can improve.

oh and thank you LG and james for leading the discussion.

Draft Changes

IDEA #1: I think teams that fall below a certain performance threshold should be able to draft two second rounders, and, if they so choose, should be able to forfeit their second rounder (as opposed to their first) to protect more keepers. Huh? Well, here's how it might work:

Imagine there are ten teams in the league, and let's say that the bottom four teams perform significantly worse than the top five. The normal draft structure (barring any trades) is pretty straight forward (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 / 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 / 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10), so that the worst team ends up with the 1st pick, the 11th pick, and 21st pick.

Under this proposal, the bottom four teams would lose their third rounders for additional second rounders. There's a number of ways we could do this, of course, but for simplicity's sake let's just have them select two in a row. The new draft order now looks differently (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 / 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 / 5-6-7-8-9-10), so that the worst team now gets the 1st pick, the 11th pick and the 12th pick. They are free to use these picks as trade chips, to protect additional keepers (giving up the 12th pick first), or simply to add talent faster. This plan would also see the better teams' draft position worsen, hopefully serving to even things out across the league.

IDEA #2: Let's forget about draft order and move to a bidding system. This option, of course, would be much more complicated to administer, so if this is an idea that picks up traction, I'd volunteer to run it myself. In this scenario, each team receives credits inversely proportional to their team's scoring average or finish. Then there is a blind bidding process on each rookie and free agent. The goal here is to still give the poorer teams better chances to improve, while simultaneously injecting some excitement and strategy into the draft. And, unlike draft picks which you can either use or trade, these credits will rollover from year to year. If you don't like the rookie class, you can save up for the next year's draft.

Obviously, these are just the beginnings of half-baked ideas, but if either of them strike a chord I'll put some more thought into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what do people think of changing the # of keepers drastically (maybe down to 5 or 4 even, with potential additional keepers for young players)? just throwing ideas out as to other ways in which teams can improve.
    Or maybe, instead of reducing the # of keepers, we instead introduce a two-tiered protection scheme. Currently, we can protect nine players without forfeiting any of our draft selections. That means we only have to let go of three guys and, due to the size of this league, most teams have at least three inconsequential dudes on their roster. But what if we treated every draft as if it were an expansion draft, so out of those nine keepers, you have to leave three vulnerable to poaching. How poaching would work can be worked out however we choose. I would suggest that no team can suffer multiple poachings in a single season (or maybe even in consecutive seasons). Secondly, the poached team should acquire a draft pick as consolation, perhaps from the team that's doing the poaching. In a way, this would be akin to a forced trade. Alternatively, we could create additional draft slots to alleviate the poachee's loss. Does every team get a chance to poach? In what order? Obviously, there are details to be ironed out, but I think this might be an interesting direction to go in.