Thread: The family of Art Modell wants to press charges against grave urinator

Default The family of Art Modell wants to press charges against grave urinator

A similar story happened with Bob Irsay and Jim moved his father's body to Indianapolis.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rave-urinator/

Modell family wants to press charges against grave urinator

It’s one thing to take a grudge to the grave, but one Browns fans took his to an embarrassing new low.

After an unidentified Browns fan calling himself “Mr. BrownsFan4Life” made a video of himself urinating on the grave of former Browns-Ravens owner Art Modell, authorites in Baltimore are hoping to press charges.

The video has been removed from YouTube (Deadspin has a copy, if you want to see it), but the Modell family has expressed the appropriate outrage over the incident.

“To some people, the man in that grave is Art Modell,” son David Modell said, via Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun. “But to me, my brother, my children, and my wife, that’s their father. That’s their grandfather. . . . Can any of your readers imagine, for one second, seeing someone do that to your parents’ grave?

“The act is so offensive, and I’d like to publicly say, isn’t enough enough? When is enough enough? It’s a vile, piggish act of online cowardice by Mr. BrownsFan4Life.”

David Modell also called it “incredibly distasteful, revolting, and mean-spirited” and promised to file charges.

“Whatever we can throw at him, that’s what’s going to happen,” he said.

Baltimore County Police are investigating the incident, and a police spokeswoman said they’re reaching out to the cemetery to see if they want to pursue charges.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The family of Art Modell wants to press charges against grave urinator

Just another example of the stupidity that is bread through fandom. To urinate on a guys grave just because of a football team is just shows you how pathetic fans can be over sports.

I have been called not a real fan of the Pacers/Colts/Irish by many people because I do not take it to serious. If not being a true fan means I do not let my team's loss ruin my entire day, break stuff, want to fight opposing fans, or do something like this then I am glad I am not a true fan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

RWB

Mood

Default Re: The family of Art Modell wants to press charges against grave urinator

Some people are truly stupid as hell. What a dumbass to do something like this on another man's grave over something as trivial as sports. I love my sports and hometown teams but this is taking it a little too far.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...rave-urination

Man faces jail time, fine for urination

BALTIMORE -- Maryland authorities said Tuesday they will charge a man with disorderly conduct in a cemetery for allegedly urinating on the grave of former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell.

The man, who so far has been identified only as a Cleveland Browns fan, could face up to two years in jail and a $500 fine. He posted a video of the incident to YouTube this month.

"Everyone who has buried a loved one has the right to believe that their final resting place will be treated with respect," Baltimore County State's Attorney Scott Shellenberger said in a written statement. "Bringing charges against this individual should act as a deterrent to others and assure the rest of us that no matter who you are, indecencies will not be committed against your final resting place."

Shellenberger said the man will not be identified until charges are filed and served.

Art Modell died in 2012 at the age of 87. He spent 43 years as an NFL owner, overseeing the Browns from 1961 until he moved the team to Baltimore in 1996, when they became the Ravens. Modell served as league president from 1967 to '69, helped finalize the first collective bargaining agreement with the players in 1968 and was the point man for the NFL's lucrative contracts with television networks.

Modell and his wife, Patricia, are buried at Druid Ridge Cemetery in Baltimore.

David Modell, Art Modell's son, said the family is thankful for the efforts of Baltimore County police and the decision by the state's attorney to file charges.

"We also agree with the state's attorney's office that everyone who has buried a loved one has the right to know that the final resting place will not be defiled," said Modell, who served as president and chief operating officer of the Ravens while Art ran the team. "We are a country of laws. Just because you're angry, that doesn't mean the laws no longer apply to you."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

And I thought I took sports too seriously. What a dirtbag.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...modells-grave/

Baltimore police ID the guy who peed on Art Modell’s grave

Those stalwarts of law enforcement in Baltimore have found the guy who urinated on Art Modell’s grave, not that he made it that hard for them.

According to Colin Campbell of the Baltimore Sun, 61-year-old Paul Serbu of Franklin, Ohio has been charged with disorderly conduct in a cemetery.

He was identified by police Tuesday, after he posted a since-removed YouTube video of himself urinating onto the grave of the late Ravens owner, who moved the team from Cleveland.

Modell’s son David said only: “It’s in process and we look forward to the adjudication.”

Serbu was given a summons ordering him to appear in court on the misdemeanor charge, which carries a maximum sentence of two years in jail and a $500 fine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Eh, charge him with disorderly conduct, make him pay a $500 fine and move on. Yeah it is offensive and he is being a jerk, but that is what people do.