Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expectation for David West?

Default Expectation for David West?

West has really been the least talked about player this off-season pretty much out of our top 7 players (4 starters + Miles/Stuckey/Scola), so I was thinking, does everyone still think West has it from 2 years ago? Obviously 2 years ago was the last time we really looked to West as one of our big-time scorers, and he delivered with over 17 ppg, and West will be in a similar situation this season, does he still have it, or do you think West can't be relied upon that way this season?

Honestly, I think West is still very capable of being a 16-17 ppg guy if he needs to, but what does everyone think about West this upcoming season?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Expectation for David West?

I want to say either this year or next is when we'll see a huge drop off in production.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to say either this year or next is when we'll see a huge drop off in production.
    Now why would you want to say something like that?

In my opinion, West will still be effective, but we must limit his minutes to around 29-30 per game if we are going to keep him fresh for the playoffs. In those 29-30 minutes, I think he will average in the 14-15 point per game range, maybe slightly over 15.

I also think he will be able to maintain the 14-15 point average for 2014-15 and 2015-16.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd say 16 ppg this year. Next year a diminished role with 9 ppg
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

West seems to have the sort of game that ages well, he's never really been a jump through the gym kind of guy. All his skills translate pretty well for an older player.

I think limiting his minutes to keep him fresh will be the key.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 07-23-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    West seems to have the sort of game that ages well, he's never really been a jump through the gym kind of guy. All his skills translate pretty well for an older player.

I totally agree. His game isn't all about athleticism. He plays smart and with his body. He'll be fine with age. Only issue will. Be injuries
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

There will be no drop off with West. Without Lance I thin he will average a couple more points per game and also a couple more rebounds per game. His touches will go up. And I also think it would be wise to hold him to 30 minutes per game if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    There will be no drop off with West. Without Lance I thin he will average a couple more points per game and also a couple more rebounds per game. His touches will go up. And I also think it would be wise to hold him to 30 minutes per game if possible.
    I think 29-20 mpg and giving Luis Scola about 18-19 mpg off the bench is the best bet, I think Scola will be really effective if he is healthy, we need to remember Scola was averaged about 9.5 ppg off our bench before he had some issue with his elbow develop, though I would like Vogel to go to the post more with Scola. I think everyone here remebers Scola dominating Bosh in the post for those 5-6 possessions against Miami

I expect about the same thing as last year. Very little drop off. I think his game will age well because he already plays like he's 50. Just keep pumping iron!

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think the rebounds are a given to increase for West and Hibbert with Lance gone. I think we'll see West pick up his touches per minute at least and I hope he does as he's always been our best passer and the guy I want to take the shot with the clock winding down. If his minutes go down I don't know if we'll see quite as many shots though. I really hope Vogel has learned from over playing our starters early on. I agree wtih you that I'd like to see West held under 30 minutes.

I expect the same production this year. His most valuable asset to our team is being able to provide another reliable go-to option late in games during the playoffs outside of PG. I've seen people propose that we should trade him while he still has value, but I disagree with that because of that reliability he's continued to show he can provide late in playoff games. I don't think some people realize the experience in those situations we would lose if David West was not on this team. Paul has had some great playoff performances as well, but I think you need to have at least two dependable guys who can close those games out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

He should be given the Dwyane Wade rest treatment to keep him fresh for the playoffs. It's not like we're short on backup PFs.

Offensively I expect he will still be pretty good. It is on the other side of the ball and the defensive rebounding numbers where West will continue to show his age.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

He better maintain for that 24 million. But seriously, he has to much pride not to perform at the same level. All he has to do is stay conditioned and be in shape. He's always had a old man's game. Nothing will change if he stays healthy.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

He just needs to play like the BAMF that he says he is.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    When did he say it himself?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    When did he say it himself?
    I'm pretty sure it was during a recess game in 3rd or 4th grade. Knocked some little kid on his @ss going to the hoop, the teacher asked him why he did that and he replied "Cuz I'm a BAMF."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post

Then Vogel better understand he needs to play the bench. If Bird hasn't discussed this already with Vogel and emphasized that, then Bird needs to do it immediately if not sooner. Otherwise, Bird signed FA for not. This can't continue for the 3rd straight year, especially if this team wants to be in the ECF for a 3rd straight year.

IMO, this is a make or break year for Vogel, so it best behoove Vogel to use the bench he has been given.

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    I expect the same production this year. His most valuable asset to our team is being able to provide another reliable go-to option late in games during the playoffs outside of PG. I've seen people propose that we should trade him while he still has value, but I disagree with that because of that reliability he's continued to show he can provide late in playoff games. I don't think some people realize the experience in those situations we would lose if David West was not on this team. Paul has had some great playoff performances as well, but I think you need to have at least two dependable guys who can close those games out.

With all the bigs and Scola still here, could it be that DWest could be moved for a real PG with Scola being the starting PF? I don't have the stats, but I believe it been pointed out Scola as a starter puts up better stats than coming off the bench. Not advocating a trade, just throwing out a possibly.

I think West will continue to shoot his 16 FT J's off of the pick and pop, with a few post-ups added as well. I expect him to start shooting 3's a tad more as well (not even kidding). He shot a few last year, and it wouldn't surprise me to continue to see his game move towards that area.

Another year of 14 and 7 on good shooting percentages. I hope we keep his minutes down like we did last year (30 mpg) and if we can get one of our backup bigs to perform at a high level - start sitting West on the 4th game in 5 nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    With all the bigs and Scola still here, could it be that DWest could be moved for a real PG with Scola being the starting PF? I don't have the stats, but I believe it been pointed out Scola as a starter puts up better stats than coming off the bench. Not advocating a trade, just throwing out a possibly.
    I think Scola's time of being a starting PF in this league has passed. Even if he were on a bad team, I think he would struggle as a starter.

West only played 29 MPG this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I keep wondering where his BAMF reputation comes from. The closest I've seen is when he snarls at the refs for calling a foul or turnover on him.

I don't remember him putting an opponent on his rear like Foster did against Chicago in the playoffs a few years ago.

Man, we could use a player who does that now.

Who was the player that got into it with DWest his first year here? He(the opposing player) did the whole "good thing my teammates are holding me back bro!" routine, only to break free and turn the corner coming nose to nose with West and then backpeddled like a scared little kid backing away from a dog that just jumped at a fence.

The BAMF moniker comes from no one ever really standing up to West, even as he crushes their sternums with his elbows.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Who was the player that got into it with DWest his first year here? He(the opposing player) did the whole "good thing my teammates are holding me back bro!" routine, only to break free and turn the corner coming nose to nose with West and then backpeddled like a scared little kid backing away from a dog that just jumped at a fence.

The BAMF moniker comes from no one ever really standing up to West, even as he crushes their sternums with his elbows.
    Larry Sanders

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post: