Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am trying to see who all the players are in that photo. Kinda difficult to tell on my phone. Anybody able to see who else is there?
    Roy's at the top of the key, Whittington's the white guy, Cope's got the ball on the wing. Can't tell who's guarding Cope, kinda looks like James Nunnally but not sure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I am trying to see who all the players are in that photo. Kinda difficult to tell on my phone. Anybody able to see who else is there?
    Is that Solomon Hill at the top of the key? I'm not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Roy's at the top of the key, Whittington's the white guy, Cope's got the ball on the wing. Can't tell who's guarding Cope, kinda looks like James Nunnally but not sure.
    Ahh thanks for clearing that up, I thought Cope was Scola

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    how crazy have Shane Whittington's last 5 or so weeks been?
    poor guy's now like the seventh-string power forward on the team

That is not Whittington. Tattoos don't match. Agness tweeted he doesn't know who it is.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    So he can have his peak in the playoffs again for a different team?

Roy had ONE disappointing playoffs series and it can easily be explained by his obsession to win the DPOY award, for which he bulked up his upper body to absorb the heavy contacts he was going to get at the rim and he neglected his offense and lower body.

Thing is, he almost would have succeeded at winning the DPOY if it weren't for some of his teammates, who got lazy on the defensive end in the second half of the season. Lance Stephenson for most. Hence the critics why Roy thought our leader in assists and TS% was being selfish. Of course, Roy wasn't mentally strong enough to maintain his numbers when he felt like DPOY was slipping away and with his fragile big body he is very likely going to be in another slump next season, but if he can avoid the slump in the playoffs, I really don't care.

Roy has done so much for this franchise, he deserves a second chance. It doesn't even matter how big the probability is he will succeed (which is huge by the way: NBAstarter, fans commitment, Allstar, almost DPOY, he has reached all his goals or came very close to them).
    I don't care where he peaks. Hopefully it's here so we can sell high, but I really don't care about Roy anymore. I will tolerate a lot of things. I'll tolerate a loser, even. But I won't tolerate a quitter, and Roy quit last year. He has the ability to be DPOY, but not the mental toughness. At least not that I've seen. A DPOY doesn't let a rough patch stretch on for 30 games. ESPECIALLY through the playoffs.

So like I said, I couldn't care less which uniform Roy wears next season.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    I don't care where he peaks. Hopefully it's here so we can sell high, but I really don't care about Roy anymore. I will tolerate a lot of things. I'll tolerate a loser, even. But I won't tolerate a quitter, and Roy quit last year. He has the ability to be DPOY, but not the mental toughness. At least not that I've seen. A DPOY doesn't let a rough patch stretch on for 30 games. ESPECIALLY through the playoffs.

(derogatory remark removed) I hear you though.

According to Kareem's Facebook, the white guy is Andrew McCarthy.

https://www.facebook.com/kaj?fref=nf
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    According to Kareem's Facebook, the white guy is Andrew McCarthy.

https://www.facebook.com/kaj?fref=nf
    I assume not the one from Weekend At Bernie's

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think working with Kareem will do Roy wonders and he will improve his footwork dramatically. I was all for trading Roy but I would like to see how he performs out of the gate and see if he is used differently as well. If he can improve his offensive game a little. Improve his speed by lightening up and continue with his defensive presence I want to keep the kid. He will be better and more consistent this year.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post

Harsh, but I got to admit I kind of agree. Roy is a very unlikable figure. He talks a bunch of crap about being disrespected when he plays well and how the national media suck for not voting him DPOY (no homo), but when he is truly awful, he blames other people. Roy wasn't even trying at times last year.
    Danger Zone

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    It isn;t that hard to learn if someone watches film from the day. It was the only shot I could hit with any consistancy in HS.....but nobody needed a 5'8" gaurd who could hit nothing but a skyhook.
    that's an earthhook

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm going to be perfectly honest with you and believe me I already know I'm jaded and pessimistic in particular when it comes to Roy but I would almost rather hear that he is just taking a year off to center himself and get comfortable with the idea that he is who he is as opposed to read this.

Yes I know, I know, I'm all by myself on this but honestly positive p.r. pieces tend to work the exact opposite on me as they do the normal person. I tend to get angry at all of the pie in the sky things that come from the p.r. department.

Roy already has the physical tools, he is what he is.

I've never questioned Roy's work ethic, nobody in their right mind can.

Roy's failings beyond what he can control physically are mental. Now Kareem is a cerebral guy so maybe he is here to work with Roy to center himself (pardon the pun) but honestly I just don't find it uplifting like I would have maybe 4 years ago.
    So you are not going to try and kick that football this year..... :-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

21. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    So you are not going to try and kick that football this year..... :-)

Not this time I'm not.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im not gonna ever get my hopes up again on Roy becoming even an above average rebounder. But if Karreem can help Roy not fall down so much during games, it well be well worth the investment.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    Im not gonna ever get my hopes up again on Roy becoming even an above average rebounder. But if Karreem can help Roy not fall down so much during games, it well be well worth the investment.
    I'm not concerned about Hibbert falling......maybe he will learn something and adjust with Kareem or not.......what he needs to learn ( as Peck suggested ) is the mental side to the game and how he can deal with the high's and low's of the season. I honestly don't know if there is any other Player that I have heard of that has had such mental ups and downs as Hibbert. I don't know if it's confidence or just a change in perspective.....but you have to wonder if someone like Phil Jackson could help Hibbert.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I guess according to the Star "insider" article there are people cracking on the video of Roy taking the face-up shots as being pretty stupid and useless.

However, if you watch closely, what it looks like Kareem is trying to do is to get Roy to catch the ball and shoot it without bringing his arms all the way down to his waist in order to get set. You can see him trying to avoid it and, even when he brings his arms down, he gets maybe to face level before going back up (elbows are lower than that, obviously).

Considering this has been one of the HUGE critiques of Roy's offense, it seems like they are at least working on the right things.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I guess according to the Star "insider" article there are people cracking on the video of Roy taking the face-up shots as being pretty stupid and useless.

However, if you watch closely, what it looks like Kareem is trying to do is to get Roy to catch the ball and shoot it without bringing his arms all the way down to his waist in order to get set. You can see him trying to avoid it and, even when he brings his arms down, he gets maybe to face level before going back up (elbows are lower than that, obviously).

Considering this has been one of the HUGE critiques of Roy's offense, it seems like they are at least working on the right things.
    No doubt, I saw people complaining "DON'T BRING THE BALL DOWN!" but that's clearly what he's working on here. Roy normally takes a "power" dribble after catching the ball and that gets him in big trouble.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If anything, if you can go onto Instagram and repost this very analysis....it would go a long way to explaining what exactly Kareem and Hibbert is trying to do.

The common fan won't notice nor pay attention to this......heck, those that have the most criticism of Hibbert probably didn't notice this and just saw that Hibbert was just shooting the ball.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Considering the fact Roy struggled to make 2 ft shots the last couple years this is exactly where they need to start

Now if only Roy could practice that drill for offensive rebounds. Kareem should punch him in the midsection every time Roy brings the ball below his head.

This could really help Roy. He simply cannot take contact but if he's able to drain mid range shots and occasionally go down low, that might really help his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Considering the fact Roy struggled to make 2 ft shots the last couple years this is exactly where they need to start
    you all just keep making up new things to criticise, the guy shot his FT's (all 269 in reg season) at a 0.770 clip and in the playoffs he hit 0.772 on 57 taken
    Lance for comparison shot 197 at 0.711 and in the PLyaoffs took 49 at 0.714

yep must be his weak point
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    you all just keep making up new things to criticise, the guy shot his FT's (all 269 in reg season) at a 0.770 clip and in the playoffs he hit 0.772 on 57 taken

i think he meant two foot shots, not free throws
    #DrewCrew

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post

He wasn't being guarded or have make a move with ball when he was shooting free throws. With his number of years of experience he SHOULD hit 77% of them.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post: