Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Be careful what you ask for. People thought Rik sucked rocks through a straw and should be left on the side of the road for the puppy patrol before he started hitting shots in the playoffs.
    I remember when fans were excited about a rumored trade of young Smits for Kevin Duckworth. Thankfully that never happened. Of course, I was talking about Rik Smits in his prime (94-2000). However, he was always a better offensive player even as a rookie than Roy is now.

It's not like Roy has never hit shots during the playoffs. He got a near max contract because he hit shots during 2 key playoffs series. The biggest problem is he is inconsistent and undisciplined on offense. Hopefully Kareem can spot ways that he can improve in those areas and improve his shooting efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Glad to see, maybe this will push Roy to sustain his high level of play that we all know he can do. Maybe he can see himself in Kareem's shoes someday and realise what he has to do to get to that elite status. We can cross our fingers, yes.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Kareem was a master of footwork and balance. He's also been proven to be a good teacher based on his work with Gasol and Bynum. Hopefully Roy learns well and then decides to drop some pounds along the way help him with his mobility.

I think it would be awesome if Rik Smits worked with him as well. If we could take Rik's offensive game and match it up with Roy's offensive game we'd have one of the best, if not The best, Center in the league.
    I think if you combined the offensive games of those two you might have a very confused center.

I always thought Smits secretly wanted to be a SF, based on his mid-range game at that time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I think if you combined the offensive games of those two you might have a very confused center.

I always thought Smits secretly wanted to be a SF, based on his mid-range game at that time.
    Good catch! I fixed it. Smits was a good jump shooter but his jump hook and up and under moves were killer. As his feet injuries worsened during the last 2 seasons, he shot a lot more from the perimeter. He still managed to shoot 49 and 48.4% in those seasons.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I never get this knock that Roy isn't tough however. To basically never miss a game to injury, that's pretty tough and seems uncommon for a guy his size. He's got guys barreling into him every other play, guys throwing their knees at him, doing everything they can to try and draw a foul. He gets that more than any other player in the league right now because of that law of verticality. If one wants to say that Roy is not mentally tough, I would agree - but to say he's not tough is a bit of a stretch to me.
    This is, to my mind, an important point that doesn't get emphasized enough.

Yes, Hibbert falls down a lot. No, he's not a classic "banger," down low.

But it takes both physical AND mental toughness to get into position and take that contact, knowing that it's coming by design - game in and game out.

I've seen some talk about how Hibbert needs to drop some weight. Yep, the muscle Hibbert put on slowed him down and we all agree he was not fleet of foot to begin with. But if he slims down I am not sure he can absorb contact on defense the way he did last year. So if you can only have one or the other - elite defense or improved offensive mobility - what do you want?

To my mind there is no question. Improved mobility might increase Roy's offense output, but his defensive ceiling is clearly higher than his offensive potential. His center of gravity is high, so even with improved footwork his balance is always going to be somewhat of an issue. He can't jump well without a running start, which is more important on the offensive end (can't consistently rise up for put back slams, for example) than it is on the defensive end where he presents a formidable obstacle when fully extended even if he is only a few inches off the ground. Roy brings something to the table on that end of the court that no one else on the team can give us. He's not injury prone, so I don't want to see him sacrifice strength as a byproduct of taking off weight at this point. If he could get even a bit stronger in his core so that he can keep those arms straight up when people slam into him that would be great.
    Last edited by gummy; 07-23-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    However, the way Walton tends to ramble on and on, that may have messed up Roy's head more than anything good it did.

Haha or Roy was too distracted staring at Walton's teeth... LMAO...
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I remember when fans were excited about a rumored trade of young Smits for Kevin Duckworth. Thankfully that never happened. Of course, I was talking about Rik Smits in his prime (94-2000). However, he was always a better offensive player even as a rookie than Roy is now.

It's not like Roy has never hit shots during the playoffs. He got a near max contract because he hit shots during 2 key playoffs series. The biggest problem is he is inconsistent and undisciplined on offense. Hopefully Kareem can spot ways that he can improve in those areas and improve his shooting efficiency
    Roy got his near max deal because of his ability to alter other teams offenses with his defense, I'm assuming you mean the knicks and heat series if so those came after Roy got his contract.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    Roy got his near max deal because of his ability to alter other teams offenses with his defense, I'm assuming you mean the knicks and heat series if so those came after Roy got his contract.
    No I meant the Orlando and Heat series the year before.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Wes Unseld, Elgin Baylor, Nate Thurmond, Willis Reed, John Havlicek, Artis Gilmore, Elvin Hayes, Rick Barry, Dave Cowens, Pete Maravich, Julius Erving......

What do all of these players have in common? Kareem either played with them or against them in his NBA career. That's a ton of experience and probably A ton of great stories. And that just scratches the surface of great players he has played with or against.

I just thought I would throw that out there for people to think about. Roy has a great teacher this year, hopefully he learns well.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Wes Unseld, Elgin Baylor, Nate Thurmond, Willis Reed, John Havlicek, Artis Gilmore, Elvin Hayes, Rick Barry, Dave Cowens, Pete Maravich, Julius Erving......

What do all of these players have in common? Kareem either played with them or against them in his NBA career. That's a ton of experience and probably A ton of great stories. And that just scratches the surface of great players he has played with or against.

I just thought I would throw that out there for people to think about. Roy has a great teacher this year, hopefully he learns well.
    Great stories yes, but I doubt any of his stories of him playing against stars of the 1960's and 1970's are going to help Roy compete in 2015...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Great stories yes, but I doubt any of his stories of him playing against stars of the 1960's and 1970's are going to help Roy compete in 2015...
    I respectfully disagree. Those were some GREAT players. Kareem gained a lot of experience and learned a lot from playing against them. He can relay that information to Roy. Granted, Roy will still have to execute, but Kareem has seen about everything a 7'2" center can see in basketball.

There was no better player at getting position than Unseld and at 6'7" and 260 pounds he was tough to move. Wilt was one of the great, strong and athletic centers of all time. Willis Reed had guts and showed great leadership when he played in the playoffs on one leg.

Kareem was hacked and banged on throughout his career. And remember, when Kareem entered the league, there were still "hatchet men" that would come in for the express purpose of fouling star players hard. Kareem was also not very well liked outside of Milwaukee his first couple of years. Wilt was the proven veteran and Kareem (Lew) was a skinny kid that was challenging him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Playing in a time when physicality and toughness were just part of the game, Kareem learned to overcome the overall physicality with his length and finesse because he was not bulky enough to simply bang with everyone else. Not that he was never physical, he just chose his spots and was mentally tough enough to get under the skin of a lot of competitors.

Sounds like exactly what Roy needs if you ask me. Of course, nobody did...

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Playing in a time when physicality and toughness were just part of the game, Kareem learned to overcome the overall physicality with his length and finesse because he was not bulky enough to simply bang with everyone else. Not that he was never physical, he just chose his spots and was mentally tough enough to get under the skin of a lot of competitors.

Well said Brad8888.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post

This is a very excellent point. Deserves more than a "thanks".

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck;1895035[B
    ]OK, but this news is much better than hearing Roy is sitting at home watching TV and eating pizzas and ice cream all day.[/B] No one has ever questioned Roy's work ethic or his desire to become a better player. I think working with Kareem is probably the best former player he could work with. What does this mean for next season, who knows, but I think this news is good news.
    I'm going to be perfectly honest with you and believe me I already know I'm jaded and pessimistic in particular when it comes to Roy but I would almost rather hear that he is just taking a year off to center himself and get comfortable with the idea that he is who he is as opposed to read this.

Yes I know, I know, I'm all by myself on this but honestly positive p.r. pieces tend to work the exact opposite on me as they do the normal person. I tend to get angry at all of the pie in the sky things that come from the p.r. department.

Roy already has the physical tools, he is what he is.

I've never questioned Roy's work ethic, nobody in their right mind can.

Roy's failings beyond what he can control physically are mental. Now Kareem is a cerebral guy so maybe he is here to work with Roy to center himself (pardon the pun) but honestly I just don't find it uplifting like I would have maybe 4 years ago.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Looks like Whittington's able to work out, I think that's him anyway, don't know who else it'd be. Also, for the Purdue guys, that's Dru Anthrop in the yellow shirt.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

The only thing more dope than Kareem flying to Indy to teach is the fact that he's doing it in his 33 Laker jersey. That's pretty awesome. Bird should take one of the Celtics 33 jerseys they sell in the gift shop the next time he wants to smoke our team in HORSE.

I've only been following this loosely because I've been out of town, but when I first read that Kareem was tutoring Roy, I figured that Roy would have to go to Kareem's turf to get the help. Pretty awesome that Kareem is at the Fieldhouse.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

how crazy have Shane Whittington's last 5 or so weeks been?

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe Kareem has mellowed out post-cancer. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing he'd do 5-10 years ago.

On that note, good to see he's still kicking.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm going to be perfectly honest with you and believe me I already know I'm jaded and pessimistic in particular when it comes to Roy but I would almost rather hear that he is just taking a year off to center himself and get comfortable with the idea that he is who he is as opposed to read this.

Yes I know, I know, I'm all by myself on this but honestly positive p.r. pieces tend to work the exact opposite on me as they do the normal person. I tend to get angry at all of the pie in the sky things that come from the p.r. department.

Roy already has the physical tools, he is what he is.

I've never questioned Roy's work ethic, nobody in their right mind can.

Roy's failings beyond what he can control physically are mental. Now Kareem is a cerebral guy so maybe he is here to work with Roy to center himself (pardon the pun) but honestly I just don't find it uplifting like I would have maybe 4 years ago.
    Considering Roy goes into the funk when he goes into a slump, working on tools that will prevent the slump (and thus the funk) is certainly not worthless.

And I'm sorry, but I suspect the reaction to a story about "Roy takes the summer off to go center himself mentally" would be met with derision as well - how mental weakness can't be cured, and how it proves he really doesn't care about being any good because he's not going to work on his weak basketball skills.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

37. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Considering Roy goes into the funk when he goes into a slump, working on tools that will prevent the slump (and thus the funk) is certainly not worthless.

And I'm sorry, but I suspect the reaction to a story about "Roy takes the summer off to go center himself mentally" would be met with derision as well - how mental weakness can't be cured, and how it proves he really doesn't care about being any good because he's not going to work on his weak basketball skills.
    Without a doubt.

I freely admit that positive spin works the exact opposite on me in many cases.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Thanks Kareem for working with Roy. I sure hope you can improve his offense.
    There are only three things I'd like to see Roy Hibbert improve on this summer while working with Jabbar:

1) Balance. It's bad enough when he takes off-balance shots, but how many times did we see Roy fall flat on his butt throughout the season even when barely touched? He can't be that much of a clutz.

2) Foot speed! Not only does he have the slowest close-out speed of any Center I've ever seen, he really doesn't move his feet with any agility.

3) Aggressiveness. Own the paint, big fella! Stop allowing yourself to be pushed around out there.

I hope Jabbar teaches him some moves he can put into his offensive arsenal. Roy can be a very aggressive post-player when he wants to. He has some moves; I just wish he'd use them move often.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

You're definitely not alone.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Looks like Whittington's able to work out, I think that's him anyway, don't know who else it'd be. Also, for the Purdue guys, that's Dru Anthrop in the yellow shirt.
    I am trying to see who all the players are in that photo. Kinda difficult to tell on my phone. Anybody able to see who else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    how crazy have Shane Whittington's last 5 or so weeks been?
    Yes! Going from injury and undrafted to being on a court with Kareem. The guy's head must be spinning.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post: