Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

When Kareem is done with him, let him work with this guy:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He worked with Tim Duncan last summer, and I am pretty sure the summer before also.
    Did he actually work with Duncan though or just scrimmage against him? There's a difference in my mind.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is nothing wrong with this, but I am like Peck in some respects. Roy has this Jermaine O'Neal thing where it seems like every summer we hear about how he is working his butt off, working with Duncan, Kareem etc. Then us fans tend to get excited, and typically with Roy we are let down. Look, I don't hate the guy, and I hope for the best, but forgive me for not doing cartwheels upon hearing this news.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with this, but I am like Peck in some respects. Roy has this Jermaine O'Neal thing where it seems like every summer we hear about how he is working his butt off, working with Duncan, Kareem etc. Then us fans tend to get excited, and typically with Roy we are let down. Look, I don't hate the guy, and I hope for the best, but forgive me for not doing cartwheels upon hearing this news.
    Except Roy has come back with improvements every time he has said that rather than simply being the exact same as he was the previous year. Does he seem to take a step backward at some point in the season? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's throwing out a load of BS about working hard.

I don't see what good it does to assume Roy is finished at 27. It amazes me that so many people seem to think it is impossible for him to learn anything from here on out, mainly because they seem to assume every single problem he ever had is due to one cause that has never changed (2014 collapse? Mentally weak. 2012 wrist injury? A cover up for being mentally weak.)

I get that he isn't Shaq or Wilt or Kareem. But the whole narrative that he's never going to get any better so it's safer just to assume he will play at the absolute worst level he has ever played seems to be unfair at best.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Except Roy has come back with improvements every time he has said that rather than simply being the exact same as he was the previous year. Does he seem to take a step backward at some point in the season? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's throwing out a load of BS about working hard.

I don't see what good it does to assume Roy is finished at 27. It amazes me that so many people seem to think it is impossible for him to learn anything from here on out, mainly because they seem to assume every single problem he ever had is due to one cause that has never changed (2014 collapse? Mentally weak. 2012 wrist injury? A cover up for being mentally weak.)

I get that he isn't Shaq or Wilt or Kareem. But the whole narrative that he's never going to get any better so it's safer just to assume he will play at the absolute worst level he has ever played seems to be unfair at best.
    At the end of the day does it matter what we think as to whether Roy gets better? Look, believe in Roy all you want, that is well and good. I have had high hopes for him before and have been let down, to some degree, every time. Sorry, I am not getting my hopes up. Do I hope Roy exceeds my expectations? You bet. Am I rooting for Roy to do well while he has a Pacer jersey on? You bet. Am I betting my next paycheck on him improving? Hell no.

After the last 50 games or so I am personally amazed that you are questioning why people would be down on Roy.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Did he actually work with Duncan though or just scrimmage against him? There's a difference in my mind.
    There is a difference, one is theoretical in nature and the other is practical. Either way, working with one of the best ever or playing against one of the best every day often provide similar results.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 07-23-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I remember last off season, we got all these nice photos of Roy training MMA, getting tough. Roy was turning over a new leaf, he was going to be physical, a true banger. Yea, anyone and everyone still knocked him over all season. Kyle Korver told him to take his weak **** out of the arena. Show me in game Roy, I simply don't believe in you at this point.
    Clearly you just checked the box scores and didn't watch many games cause Hibbert did finish second in dpoy voting this year.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

After the last 50 games or so I am personally amazed that you are questioning why people would be down on Roy.
    Down on him is one thing. Counting him completely out is another.

It's a thing we seem to do with our own players - not only "what have you done for me lately", but if that lately is good it is pooh-poohed because something bad preceded it, while if it is bad it is clearly the unalterable future.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Down on him is one thing. Counting him completely out is another.

It's a thing we seem to do with our own players - not only "what have you done for me lately", but if that lately is good it is pooh-poohed because something bad preceded it, while if it is bad it is clearly the unalterable future.
    In my experience, we are probably the worst "the grass is greener" fan base I have ever encountered.

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HOOPFANATIC View Post
    Clearly you just checked the box scores and didn't watch many games cause Hibbert did finish second in dpoy voting this year.
    He finished second in DPOY voting because no one in the East can play defense anyway. Well, except the award is NBA-wide. OK, then, because no one in the West plays defense at all. Hmm. Probably not true. Well, then voters had their blue-and-gold blinders on. Wait. Maybe they just voted before Roy collapsed and then didn't go back and change their votes before the deadline because their phones were out of juice.

Really, though, it's because playing defense is not important for a starting center. Offense is the only important statistic, and defense can be provided by the rest of the team. Is that it?
    BillS

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    My only question is why is this just now happening for Hibbert at age 27? Seems to me this would've been something you'd look at his 2nd or 3rd season season in the league, when it's clear he wasn't a scrub and had some potential (so Kareem isn't wasting his time).

How much can Roy reasonably pick up from Kareem at this point in his career?
    Hibbert's age has nothing to do with what or how much can be pick up from Kareem. It has to do with his desire and willingness to make himself better. If he has neither, he will learn little.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    In my experience, we are probably the worst "the grass is greener" fan base I have ever encountered.
    At times it can be more annoying than "our players are perfect". Especially since the "this particular player is perfect" crowd tend to try to prove it by using "other players on the team must therefore suck because..." logic.
    BillS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HOOPFANATIC View Post
    Great. He also set the record for most consecutive minutes played without a point or rebound in the playoffs, so he has that going for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I think he worked with Walton earlier in his career. Plus, I don't think you need potential to learn from Kareem. It's not like he's teaching him to increase his vertical; it's likely mostly footwork, technique and mental. But you do need to be a willing learner, which is why it failed with Dwight.

Do we know if he ever worked with any of the legendary Gtown bigs?
    Hibbert has previously worked with Walton and Duncan. Never heard of him working out with any G'Town bigs.

Mood

>>>A few years ago they brought Bill Walton in to work with Roy. However, the way Walton tends to ramble on and on, that may have messed up Roy's head more than anything good it did.

Here, Roy, put this paper on your tongue. We're gonna crank up this rockin' '78 Scarlet->Fire and forget all about this basketball nonsense!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drew46229 For This Useful Post:

Mood

LOL ok guys. Keep counting on Hibbert. In your spare time buy a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets. I once heard of a dude winning a bunch of money.

We always seem to be rosy about our guys in the offseason, but when Roy goes Roy check out the threads and posts then. I am just being consistent and not emotional when speaking about our players. If that makes me a bad guy so be it.

LOL ok guys. Keep counting on Hibbert. In your spare time buy a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets. I once heard of a dude winning a bunch of money.

We always seem to be rosy about our guys in the offseason, but when Roy goes Roy check out the threads and posts then. I am just being consistent and not emotional when speaking about our players. If that makes me a bad guy so be it.
    Hey, all I am doing is being consistent too. My position on Roy hasn't changed much from 2 years ago.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

It isn't like Roy is the only one that started sucking 2nd half last year. Things just didn't work out. I am wiping my slate clean, and will not hold the players to the retched 2nd half of last season
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    It isn't like Roy is the only one that started sucking 2nd half last year. Things just didn't work out. I am wiping my slate clean, and will not hold the players to the retched 2nd half of last season
    Yeah, if people treated Paul the way they do Roy half the board would be ready to trade Paul too. Since we treat them differently, mostly because Paul is more fun to watch, Paul is still gets graded on his best moments and Roy gets graded on his worst moments.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Oh no, if Roy's hook wasn't bad enough already, I hope this doesnt mean he can do more of them and more of those 10 foot running sky hooks. Media might start calling Indy "Brick City"

JK

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

OK, but this news is much better than hearing Roy is sitting at home watching TV and eating pizzas and ice cream all day. No one has ever questioned Roy's work ethic or his desire to become a better player. I think working with Kareem is probably the best former player he could work with. What does this mean for next season, who knows, but I think this news is good news.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-23-2014 at 03:26 PM.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Lack of speed, lack of balance, and a pronounced Evansville Vertical (meaning he could barely jump over the Evansville phonebook).
    Kareem was a master of footwork and balance. He's also been proven to be a good teacher based on his work with Gasol and Bynum. Hopefully Roy learns well and then decides to drop some pounds along the way help him with his mobility.

I think it would be awesome if Rik Smits worked with him as well. If we could take Rik's offensive game and match it up with Roy's defensive game we'd have one of the best, if not The best, Center in the league.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 07-23-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I think it would be awesome if Rik Smits worked with him as well. If we could take Rik's offensive game and match it up with Roy's offensive game we'd have one of the best, if not The best, Center in the league.
    Be careful what you ask for. People thought Rik sucked rocks through a straw and should be left on the side of the road for the puppy patrol before he started hitting shots in the playoffs.
    BillS

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, but this news is much better than hearing Roy is sitting at home watching TV and eating pizzas and ice cream all day. No one has ever questioned Roy work ethic or his desire to become a better player. I think working with Kareem is probably the best former player he could work with. What does this mean for next season, who knows, but I think this news is good news.
    Hey, I am not saying this is bad news. Obviously Roy working with Kareem is better than hearing about him sitting around and getting fat just like blowing money on lottery tickets is better than blowing money on illegal narcotics.

I am just skeptical that this will lead to a new and improved Hibbert.

I am just skeptical that this will lead to a new and improved Hibbert.
    New and improved no, but more refined probably. Yeah, Roy isn't at the point in his career where you make huge leaps forward. He is at the refinement stage. Add a post move here, improve your mid-range shot, etc.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 07-23-2014 at 03:39 PM.