Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

KAJ's the best combo of physical limitations/advantages and mental makeup I can think of really (no, I'm not saying Roy's close to KAJ's physical gifts). I'm kinda pumped for it honestly, I don't expect Roy to make some huge leap or anything, but his problems have had a lot more to do with his psyche than anything physical. Depending how this goes (which we'll never be privy to) I'd support adding KAJ as a personal assistant.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

In risk of sounding like my Dad. I never understood why no one else could master the sky hook. Truely an unguardable shot for those who remember.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

My sources tell me that Kareem will be working on Roy's footwork, spacing and, most importantly, his line delivery. If you re-watch his performance in Parks and Recreation, you can tell he isn't hitting his marks with any consistency. This is something Kareem struggled with in Game of Death, but had all but mastered by Slam Dunk Ernest.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Roger.

Huh ??

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In risk of sounding like my Dad. I never understood why no one else could master the sky hook. Truely an unguardable shot for those who remember.
    I tried to, but once I stopped growing at 6' it was in my best interest to learn other things.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    My sources tell me that Kareem will be working on Roy's footwork, spacing and, most importantly, his line delivery. If you re-watch his performance in Parks and Recreation, you can tell he isn't hitting his marks with any consistency. This is something Kareem struggled with in Game of Death, but had all but mastered by Slam Dunk Ernest.
    One of my favorite posts of the year so far.
    Danger Zone

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

I think Roy needs to get together with Crash Davis to work on his post-game interviews. He's been a train wreck the last year or so.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I hope Hibbert learns about Kareem's mental approach to the game as well as offensive movement and floor spacing.
    If you would have said that back in maybe 1980, your comments would have had to be in green. There was a time when people didn't think Kareem gave much effort.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    There was a time when people didn't think Kareem gave much effort.
    He busted his buns every night. Tell those people to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

17. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I remember last off season, we got all these nice photos of Roy training MMA, getting tough. Roy was turning over a new leaf, he was going to be physical, a true banger. Yea, anyone and everyone still knocked him over all season. Kyle Korver told him to take his weak **** out of the arena. Show me in game Roy, I simply don't believe in you at this point.
    To Roy's credit, he was an absolute menace on the inside defensively for much of the season - especially pre ASB. He just couldn't sustain it. His body doesn't naturally hold that added girth very well.

Roy needs to figure out that banging isn't his style. He has skills on offense and needs to believe and rely on those as opposed to continuing to try and be physically bigger. Nobody is asking him to be a dominant scorer. If he gets back to 13 and 9 with his monster defensive game, that's more than enough. Anything on top of that is gravy.

I never get this knock that Roy isn't tough however. To basically never miss a game to injury, that's pretty tough and seems uncommon for a guy his size. He's got guys barreling into him every other play, guys throwing their knees at him, doing everything they can to try and draw a foul. He gets that more than any other player in the league right now because of that law of verticality. If one wants to say that Roy is not mentally tough, I would agree - but to say he's not tough is a bit of a stretch to me.

19. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

My only question is why is this just now happening for Hibbert at age 27? Seems to me this would've been something you'd look at his 2nd or 3rd season season in the league, when it's clear he wasn't a scrub and had some potential (so Kareem isn't wasting his time). How much can Roy reasonably pick up from Kareem at this point in his career?

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    He busted his buns every night. Tell those people to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
    that was funny, because that was the common perception or misconception at the time. I was too young to really know. Although my guess is his demeanor gave many the impression he wasn't playing hard.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

sav

Roy is a vital cog of the success of this team. When he struggles, we usaully have a hard time winning. When Roy is on his game, everyone is happy. I for one am pumped to see that he is doing something to progress himself.
    Whether it be mma, boxing, pilates, yoga, zumba, I dont give a crap. He's working and thats all that matters.

Kareem is a great mentor for Roy and its even better that Larry was at that dinner because it shows his commitment to Roy. Roy aint going anywhere anytime soon. Hes young, healthy and has proven more times than not that he is a force for the Pacers.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

{o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I remember that. And who did the coaches have to wrap up and drag out as he mouths off? Former Pacer Lance Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Former Pacer Lance Stephenson.
    I'm starting to like the sound of that more and more.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    On a side note, I wish a young talented middle school kid could get Kareem to teach him the sky hook.

Wish he could pass that legacy on to someone. Can't really teach it to adults. Has to start super early.
    You always say the oddest, most off the wall things. Funny really!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I want that Pacer team back. Not the team that allowed nobody Mike Scott to get hot in the playoffs and act like he's riding his horse after a shot.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    My only question is why is this just now happening for Hibbert at age 27? Seems to me this would've been something you'd look at his 2nd or 3rd season season in the league, when it's clear he wasn't a scrub and had some potential (so Kareem isn't wasting his time). How much can Roy reasonably pick up from Kareem at this point in his career?
    I think he worked with Walton earlier in his career. Plus, I don't think you need potential to learn from Kareem. It's not like he's teaching him to increase his vertical; it's likely mostly footwork, technique and mental. But you do need to be a willing learner, which is why it failed with Dwight.

Do we know if he ever worked with any of the legendary Gtown bigs?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Hasn't he worked with a name big pretty much every year, except maybe for the year he was focused solely on his diet and strength?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I think he worked with Walton earlier in his career. Plus, I don't think you need potential to learn from Kareem. It's not like he's teaching him to increase his vertical; it's likely mostly footwork, technique and mental. But you do need to be a willing learner, which is why it failed with Dwight.

Do we know if he ever worked with any of the legendary Gtown bigs?
    Good point on Walton. What I mean is that I don't see Kareem wasting his time with Josh Harrellson types, as at least Roy has shown potential to have a pretty good low post game. Other than Walton and Kareem, I haven't heard anything besides Roy working with Pacers' assistants Vitaly Potapenko and Popeye Jones, not exactly premier big men in their day.

A few years ago they brought Bill Walton in to work with Roy. However, the way Walton tends to ramble on and on, that may have messed up Roy's head more than anything good it did.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    It isn;t that hard to learn if someone watches film from the day. It was the only shot I could hit with any consistancy in HS.....but nobody needed a 5'8" gaurd who could hit nothing but a skyhook.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    that was funny, because that was the common perception or misconception at the time. I was too young to really know. Although my guess is his demeanor gave many the impression he wasn't playing hard.
    I think a couple things added to that perception. Kareem was so smooth on offense that it looked effortless. On defense, well, at his size, he did take some time to get down the floor. That is understandable in my opinion. Magic and company moved so quickly it made him look even slower.

Kareem has credited Oscar with teaching him a lot about the game.
    Last edited by Tom White; 07-23-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Good point on Walton. What I mean is that I don't see Kareem wasting his time with Josh Harrellson types, as at least Roy has shown potential to have a pretty good low post game. Other than Walton and Kareem, I haven't heard anything besides Roy working with Pacers' assistants Vitaly Potapenko and Popeye Jones, not exactly premier big men in their day.
    He worked with Tim Duncan last summer, and I am pretty sure the summer before also.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: