Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

Default Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1370/roy-hibbert

It's unknown what they're going to work on, but conventional wisdom suggests it'll be involving Hibbert developing a post game. His offensive output was a disaster down the stretch and he couldn't even score effectively from within three feet. He'll have to impress for a couple months before the NBA world changes its mind on his offensive ineptitude.

http://instagram.com/p/qxrNcRM_w4/

57 minutes ago
    Pacer fans get ready for next season. I'm helping to get Roy ready to become a serious threat to his competitors.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is training with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this offseason.

More awesome: http://instagram.com/p/qxqfEhs__v/

You got to hand it to Larry, he follows through.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Does Hibbert has a genuine chance to win the Most Improved Player award next season?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sorry

I just noticed this was posted in another thread. If this is delete worthy, I understand.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

By far the Pacers best off season move.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By far the Pacers best off season move.
    I like the CJ Miles move more...
    Why so SERIOUS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hell yeah I'm ready to get pumped up by Roy posting about his offseason workouts.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kareem for working with Roy. I sure hope you can improve his offense.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

I remember last off season, we got all these nice photos of Roy training MMA, getting tough. Roy was turning over a new leaf, he was going to be physical, a true banger. Yea, anyone and everyone still knocked him over all season. Kyle Korver told him to take his weak **** out of the arena. Show me in game Roy, I simply don't believe in you at this point.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

If nothing else, it looks like Hibbert is working on a taller hair do that will make it even harder for guys to see the hoop over.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope the idea is to be lighter, not be as bulky as he was last season, he can work in the post against most teams anyway, his lack of speed was really badly exposed last season.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I remember last off season, we got all these nice photos of Roy training MMA, getting tough. Roy was turning over a new leaf, he was going to be physical, a true banger. Yea, anyone and everyone still knocked him over all season. Kyle Korver told him to take his weak **** out of the arena. Show me in game Roy, I simply don't believe in you at this point.
    I hear you, but things like this is what Roy HAS to do. He's had the fatal flaw of not playing consistent all season since the beginning, and this year he proved he could have that bad part at the end of the season (where it's just devastating for the team). He's regressed as a player for whatever reason... could be overuse, used wrong, figured out, whatever... So any steps he and the Pacers can take to remedy this is a positive step forward. He couldn't get much worse and at some points late in the year the best thing the team could do was keep him off the floor. He needs to be on the floor... But he can't be on the floor because of who he is or his contract. He needs to be on the floor because he's being effective.

Hopefully it doesn't reach the point where we need to play him just to try and trade him.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I hope the idea is to be lighter, not be as bulky as he was last season, he can work in the post against most teams anyway, his lack of speed was really badly exposed last season.
    Lack of speed, lack of balance, and a pronounced Evansville Vertical (meaning he could barely jump over the Evansville phonebook).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/roy-kareem...post-instagram

Roy, Kareem Working Together, Post to Instagram

Pacers fans, it looks like Roy Hibbert is getting a hand this summer from legendary center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. After a dinner with Larry Bird, Roy Hibbert, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Roy and Kareem both posted to social media on Tuesday night, with Kareem announcing he is working with Roy "to become a serious threat to his competitors."

In his season wrap-up press conference, Pacers president Larry Bird mentioned he'd like Roy "to try to get with one of the greats. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the best teachers." It looks like that is coming to fruition. The quote is in the video at the bottom of the page starting at 7 minutes, 24 seconds.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar ✔ @kaj33
    Follow
    @Hoya2aPacer great dinner tonight w/you & #LarryBird. Looking forward to kicking it up a notch at practice tomorrow.
    9:54 PM - 22 Jul 2014

Roy Hibbert ✔ @Hoya2aPacer
    Follow
    Dinner with @kaj33 and Larry was great. Loved hearing their stories. Learned so much and asked a lot of questions.

10:32 PM - 22 Jul 2014 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

wonder if he'll go down to San Antonio and train with Duncan again

Meh. I don't even care anymore. In fact, I would prefer it if I didn't hear anything from or about Roy. He may come out strong to start the year, but he'll hit his yearly slump and disappear for 15 or 20 games. Hopefully we can trade him before he hits his slump.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

I hope Hibbert learns about Kareem's mental approach to the game as well as offensive movement and floor spacing.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Just don't let Kareem teach him platform diving.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope that Kareem can teach Roy how not to get benched when being guarded by cab drivers
    David "And One" West

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

sav

I'll be honest I really don't care anymore. When I see a season long production from him without a series of slumped games because of some mental issue or whining because he isn't getting enough touches then I will get excited about how he is spending another one of his summers.

I know everyone is wanting Kareem to work on Roy's shot or position or other things. What I want him to do is to teach him how to make quick decisions with that ball. Kareem never held the ball for seconds on end trying to back down when nothing was there. He caught it, made a quick decision to either score or pass and moved on.

If he teach's Roy nothing else I want him to teach him this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

37. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I hope Hibbert learns about Kareem's mental approach to the game as well as offensive movement and floor spacing.
    Exactly. I think this partnership is about the mental aspect just as much as the basketball stuff. Aside from the Zen Master, there's no one better for Roy to learn the mental tools of the trade from than Kareem. I'm very optimistic about this, probably more so than any other Pacer news this offseason.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Great news to hear, I am very optimistic about Roy this coming season, and I believe this will be the best of his career so far.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On a side note, I wish a young talented middle school kid could get Kareem to teach him the sky hook.

Wish he could pass that legacy on to someone. Can't really teach it to adults. Has to start super early.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    Meh. I don't even care anymore. In fact, I would prefer it if I didn't hear anything from or about Roy. He may come out strong to start the year, but he'll hit his yearly slump and disappear for 15 or 20 games. Hopefully we can trade him before he hits his slump.
    So he can have his peak in the playoffs again for a different team?

Roy had ONE disappointing playoffs series and it can easily be explained by his obsession to win the DPOY award, for which he bulked up his upper body to absorb the heavy contacts he was going to get at the rim and he neglected his offense and lower body.

Thing is, he almost would have succeeded at winning the DPOY if it weren't for some of his teammates, who got lazy on the defensive end in the second half of the season. Lance Stephenson for most. Hence the critics why Roy thought our leader in assists and TS% was being selfish. Of course, Roy wasn't mentally strong enough to maintain his numbers when he felt like DPOY was slipping away and with his fragile big body he is very likely going to be in another slump next season, but if he can avoid the slump in the playoffs, I really don't care.

Roy has done so much for this franchise, he deserves a second chance. It doesn't even matter how big the probability is he will succeed (which is huge by the way: NBAstarter, fans commitment, Allstar, almost DPOY, he has reached all his goals or came very close to them).

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:

Roy = social, sensitive, empathetic and sometimes emotionally fragile human being.

Kareem = isolated, callous, harsh & frequently epic DB of a human being.

This has the potential to be a productive partnership or a debacle of monumental proportions

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post: