Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Dungy: I wouldn't have taken Michael Sam

Default Re: Tony Dungy: I wouldn't have taken Michael Sam

At the very least I resent Tony for insisting Caldwell be his successor when he retired.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the very least I resent Tony for insisting Caldwell be his successor when he retired.
    Caldwell got to as many Super Bowls in two years with Peyton as Dungy did in seven. Granted he didn't win, but that 09 team was not as talented as the 06 team. Also, the Saints were a much much much much better team than the Bears because they actually had an offense.

Caldwell is not my type of coach because I like coaches who show a little bit of fire on the sidelines. That being said, the guy was setup to fail in 2011. Maybe great coaching could have squeezed out another couple of wins, but no one could win with Collins and Painter.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-22-2014 at 03:37 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I don't like Caldwell or Dungy. Caldwell was awful, and Dungy was a "defensive guru" who could never build a good defense in Indy because the Tampa-2 was a laughably terrible formation that wasted the careers of our defensive players.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Caldwell got to as many Super Bowls in two years with Peyton as Dungy did in seven. Granted he didn't win, but that 09 team was not as talented as the 06 team. Also, the Saints were a much much much much better team than the Bears because they actually had an offense.

Caldwell is not my type of coach because I like coaches who show a little bit of fire on the sidelines. That being said, the guy was setup to fail in 2011. Maybe great coaching could have squeezed out another couple of wins, but no one could win with Collins and Painter.

Actually three seasons 2009-2011 and while that's true my point is that I think the Colts should've gone in a different direction after Dungy left instead of hiring a lame duck successor in Caldwell.

I'm still disgusted with them giving up on the perfect season. That was the beginning of the end of the Manning era at that point we just didn't realize it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Actually three seasons 2009-2011 and while that's true my point is that I think the Colts should've gone in a different direction after Dungy left instead of hiring a lame duck successor in Caldwell.

I'm still disgusted with them giving up on the perfect season. That was the beginning of the end of the Manning era at that point we just didn't realize it.
    I said two seasons with Peyton. Peyton didn't play in Caldwell's third year.

Punting the perfect season made me physically ill at the time, but clearly NaPolian was the one pulling the strings on that one. I completely agree with you that we should have done an outside coaching search after Dungy retired instead of settling for Dungy-lite in Caldwell. Thankfully Irsay seems to have learned that lesson with the solid way he handled the Pagano search. That being said, Caldwell was set up to fail big time in 2011 by the Manning injury and putrid replacement quarterbacks.

I said two seasons with Peyton. Peyton didn't play in Caldwell's third year.

Punting the perfect season made me physically ill at the time, but clearly NaPolian was the one pulling the strings on that one. I completely agree with you that we should have done an outside coaching search after Dungy retired instead of settling for Dungy-lite in Caldwell. Thankfully Irsay seems to have learned that lesson with the solid way he handled the Pagano search. That being said, Caldwell was set up to fail big time in 2011 by the Manning injury and putrid replacement quarterbacks.
    You're right my mistake but I think if we had a different coach that wouldn't have happened or maybe it would since Polian was in charge ugh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Dungy came out with a clarification statement on his original quotes today. I really think he's afraid of being fired by NBC if he stands behind what he truly believes. Lost some respect for Dungy in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Dungy came out with a clarification statement on his original quotes today. I really think he's afraid of being fired by NBC if he stands behind what he truly believes. Lost some respect for Dungy in the last few years.
    Basically although he didn't really apologize either.

I personally am not that bothered by what he said or people disagreeing with him and think he's close minded etc.

I do have an issue when people are dragging his dead son into this though which is what I'm seeing in some places and that says more about them than Tony.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    And if true, perhaps bigotry goes both ways. Is it so hard to accept that man's beliefs? Or is it easier to insult him because his beliefs don't align with yours. What's the difference man? Just saying.
    Not even remotely close to the same thing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Caldwell is not my type of coach because I like coaches who show a little bit of fire on the sidelines.
    This is in relation to Caldwell's demeanor, right? Personally, I couldn't care less if they were dead during the games but showed fire in the decision making. For example, Chuck seems a lovely person and very lively but his decisions during some games last season were disappointing. San Diego anyone?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    And if true, perhaps bigotry goes both ways. Is it so hard to accept that man's beliefs? Or is it easier to insult him because his beliefs don't align with yours. What's the difference man? Just saying.
    The difference is Dungy's beliefs are completely ****tarded. Dungy can say and believe whatever he wants, clearly, as soon as he uses his position of alleged authority to deny another person his rightful ability to take the next step in his profession, which is SO monumentally ****tarded coming from him, and life then **** him. The farther Dungy gets from the Colts organization the happier I am.

I mean hell, God forbid your job is harder than it was yesterday because the dude's gay Tony. But hey, he's an ex-con that might be able to win you some football games, time for a press conference to talk about how he's changed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The difference is Dungy's beliefs are completely ****tarded. Dungy can say and believe whatever he wants, clearly, as soon as he uses his position of alleged authority to deny another person his rightful ability to take the next step in his profession, which is SO monumentally ****tarded coming from him, and life then **** him. The farther Dungy gets from the Colts organization the happier I am.

I mean hell, God forbid your job is harder than it was yesterday because the dude's gay Tony. But hey, he's an ex-con that might be able to win you some football games, time for a press conference to talk about how he's changed.
    Watch out, you're using ablist language and would get blasted by the social justice league. Not even joking.

I'll lay it on the line: Dungy's comments were measured, nonjudgmental and reasonable and the media firestorm proves him 100% right. You don't turn your team into a reality show.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    .............. the media firestorm proves him 100% right.
    Well said.

I like how Dungy said he wouldn't take Michael Sam (individual) and everyone's making it out to be about gays (in general). Michael Sam only being good enough to be a 7th rd draft pick just MIGHT have something to do with whether or not you want to take on a major distraction.

Risk vs Reward. There's lots of risk, with very little reward, in the football sense.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I like how Dungy said he wouldn't take Michael Sam (individual) and everyone's making it out to be about gays (in general). Michael Sam only being good enough to be a 7th rd draft pick just MIGHT have something to do with whether or not you want to take on a major distraction.

Risk vs Reward. There's lots of risk, with very little reward, in the football sense.
    I think there's some truth to this. I wonder though if he fell to the 7th becuase of the teams evaluating his talent fairly and not because teams stayed away because of the "distraction" issue. If Michael Sam were straight, or at least stayed in the closet, would he have been picked higher? We'll never know, but in my opinion his coming out absolutely did negatively affect his draft stock as he was being touted as a 3rd-4th rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I think there's some truth to this. I wonder though if he fell to the 7th becuase of the teams evaluating his talent fairly and not because teams stayed away because of the "distraction" issue. If Michael Sam were straight, or at least stayed in the closet, would he have been picked higher? We'll never know, but in my opinion his coming out absolutely did negatively affect his draft stock as he was being touted as a 3rd-4th rounder.
    Wasn't he pretty bad at the NFL Combine?

Mood

Wasn't he pretty bad at the NFL Combine?
    I don't think he performed as well as he wanted, but prior to the combine, he was rated much higher than he ended up.

I thought his projections were pretty varied. Some had him 3 or 4, others maybe 7-8 .... even undrafted. Now - anyone that thinks that there aren't 'specific' reasons that he was so low on some projections ......... well ............

It's just a true fact. Right or wrong.

Personally - I hope he plays well enough to make the team and gets some meaningful time during the season. The sooner it all goes away - the better.

Dungy was in the middle of the whole Jonathan Martin fiasco, being part of a task force to investigate the Dolphins/interviewing Martin/etc, so I'm sure his up-close and personal observations about the NFL lockerroom and a gay man entered into the discussion.

Is it right to "punish" a gay man for the things his 52 straight teammates might say or do? (even forgetting the media circus surrounding gay issues) No, it is not. But the NFL is also a business, and the job of a coach is to win football games, not make social stands. It would be nice to say we live in a world where right/wrong is more important that simple winning, but unfortunately, we don't live in that type of world.

And on a side note, it cracks me up to see Michael Sam being labeled the first openly gay player in the NFL. Almost like Jonathan Martin, being gay and his teammates knowing it and using it as a weapon to either tease or insult (depending on your views) now isn't an openly gay man.
    Last edited by Since86; 07-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I just get tired of everyone looking at the NFL to be the social justice arbiters of the land. Just play some freaking football.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm hoping Michael Sam gets cut so we can stop hearing about him in the news. I don't care about his sexual preference, but his attention whoring is annoying
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    He thinks that being gay is a lifestyle ffs!!!!

Tony Dungy @TonyDungy

@StampedeBlue I don't agree with Jason Collins' lifestyle but think he deserves respect and should have opportunities like anyone else!
    3:47 PM - 3 May 2013

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/5/3...-jason-collins
    That is his religious beliefs coming out. Religious people like him believe gay people choose to be gay, but probably pressured he would probably say he did not choose to be straight. I do wonder how many gay people he actually has been around and spent a considerable amount of time with.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

What media firestorm?

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    That is his religious beliefs coming out. Religious people like him believe gay people choose to be gay, but probably pressured he would probably say he did not choose to be straight. I do wonder how many gay people he actually has been around and spent a considerable amount of time with.

Probably none. I agree. Why would anybody choose to be gay in our society with all the persecution, ridicule, stereotyping, bullying.....etc..that goes on? I have a family member who is gay and he knew from a very young age. He did not choose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Is it right to "punish" a gay man for the things his 52 straight teammates might say or do? (even forgetting the media circus surrounding gay issues) No, it is not. But the NFL is also a business, and the job of a coach is to win football games, not make social stands. It would be nice to say we live in a world where right/wrong is more important that simple winning, but unfortunately, we don't live in that type of world.
    Well, some don't.