Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Dungy: I wouldn't have taken Michael Sam

Default Tony Dungy: I wouldn't have taken Michael Sam

This isn't really surprising coming from him except that he's chosen to be upfront about it so publically.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-michael-sam/

Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

Former Colts and Buccaneers head coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy says that if he were still an NFL head coach, he wouldn’t have drafted Michael Sam, who became the first openly gay player in league history when the Rams selected him in May.

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ Dungy told the Tampa Tribune. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’

What Dungy is expressing publicly is similar to what some coaches and general managers have said privately, in anonymous quotes in stories about Sam before the draft. But Dungy is the highest-profile person in the NFL world to put his name behind the viewpoint that Sam would cause a distraction and would be more trouble than he’s worth.

Dungy’s comments therefore serve as a reminder that the Rams deserve credit for not allowing the concerns about distractions to keep them
    from picking Sam. We don’t know how many teams passed on Sam because he’s gay and how many teams passed on Sam because they simply didn’t think he was a good enough player, but we do know that the Rams were the team that ended Sam’s fall late in the seventh round of the draft. Whether Sam pans out as a player or not, the Rams made history by making the NFL more inclusive.

And that’s where Dungy’s comments become troubling. If everyone refused to hire minorities because it could cause a distraction, no minority group would ever make any progress. Dungy has praised the late Chuck Noll for adding Dungy to the Steelers’ coaching staff in 1981, at a time when most NFL teams didn’t have any African-American assistant coaches. What if Noll had declined to hire Dungy because he worried that some of the white assistant coaches would have a problem with a black colleague?

Dungy may be right when he says “things will happen” because the Rams have an openly gay player on their roster, but those things aren’t Sam’s fault. And those things shouldn’t prevent any NFL team from drafting an openly gay player.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tony Dungy: I wouldn't have taken Michael Sam

Stopped caring about Dungy's opinion a long time ago.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stopped caring about Dungy's opinion a long time ago.
    I never really cared to begin with but I figure this isn't a story that will go away anytime soon either.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dungy would not want Sam? There is a shocker.

Well Dungy accepted some honor from an anti-gay group here, so I doubt he would want a gay player on his team. Oh well. There are people who are less prejudice on the Rams I guess.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder how Dungy would have felt if schools didn't integrate because the administrators just found it too much of a damn distraction. I never cared for Dungy even when he was the coach of the Colts. The amount of praise he got while here for a guy who outwardly admitted being head coach wasn't his main priority was a joke.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't agree with his viewpoint, but at least he's not hiding behind an anonymous quote like everyone else did. I respect that a helluva lot more than whoever the "unnamed" NFL people were that said the same thing.

Is Michael Sam really worth the media circus? He is not that good of a player. I believe Dungy would draft a gay player if he was that good. Just not a borderline NFL prospect that has made himself more famous by being "the first" then he would have just being a football player. I appreciate his honesty. I wouldn't draft him either, sue me.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Is Michael Sam really worth the media circus? He is not that good of a player. I believe Dungy would draft a gay player if he was that good. Just not a borderline NFL prospect that has made himself more famous by being "the first" then he would have just being a football player. I appreciate his honesty. I wouldn't draft him either, sue me.
    Be careful, Chris Kluwe might

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is Michael Sam really worth the media circus? He is not that good of a player
    Agree with that if that's the case. Haven't seen him playing so I can't tell about his value. Being openly gay has brought more buzz his name. No doubt.

I believe Dungy would draft a gay player if he was that good.
    Let me have serious reservations about that.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Dude advocated, strongly, for Vick to get a second chance. Which I agree with. Maybe his opinion "evolved" but he never cared about the distraction before.

And don't gimme the "yeah, but Vick was good" ****. One, because he really wasn't all that good, exciting to be sure, but not really very good. And two, who gives a **** how good a guy is when you try to play yourself up as The Moral Arbiter of Professional Football? Hell, at least be honest, don't pull this "it's a distraction" ********. He never gave a damn about distractions before they conflicted with his religious beliefs. He definitely didn't with any of the problems the Colts had when he was here. At least he put his name on it so there's that I guess, but stop hiding Dungy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Michael Sam is an attention whore. That is why Dungy wouldn't want him on his team
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dungy is a stupid ******* whose opinions couldn't possibly mean less to me. Screw that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Michael Sam is an attention whore. That is why Dungy wouldn't want him on his team
    I would be more inclined to think it's because of his personal beliefs. I personally like the guy, but this particular subject IMHO is one of his flaws.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    No, it's because Dungy is a Bible-thumping homophobe. That's the only factor that influences his opinion here.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    No, it's because Dungy is a Bible-thumping homophobe. That's the only factor that influences his opinion here.
    I don't belive Dungy is a homophobe and hates gays. Rather because of his religion he simply can't accept the idea of being gay and is wrong.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I don't belive Dungy is a homophobe and hates gays. Rather because of his religion he simply can't accept the idea of being gay and is wrong.
    tomato, tomahto

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Dude advocated, strongly, for Vick to get a second chance. Which I agree with. Maybe his opinion "evolved" but he never cared about the distraction before.

And don't gimme the "yeah, but Vick was good" ****. One, because he really wasn't all that good, exciting to be sure, but not really very good. And two, who gives a **** how good a guy is when you try to play yourself up as The Moral Arbiter of Professional Football? Hell, at least be honest, don't pull this "it's a distraction" ********. He never gave a damn about distractions before they conflicted with his religious beliefs. He definitely didn't with any of the problems the Colts had when he was here. At least he put his name on it so there's that I guess, but stop hiding Dungy.

And here he is on Tebow:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-espn-magazine
    "There's no going halfway with Tebow anymore," says former Colts coach Tony Dungy. "You either gotta sell out and give him the keys to your team or stay away. Because, unfortunately, there's too much attention for him to be a regular, developing backup like everyone else."
    Sort of consistent, I guess. Just forgot the "give Sam the keys to your defense" part.

Edit: Never mind. Tebow works as a backup too.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...n=Twitter_news

With the Peyton Manning circus wrapped, we shift gears to something even more surreal: Tebow Watch 2012.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reports that five teams have inquired about Tebow's services, and while the names of those teams remain shrouded in mystery, NBC NFL analyst Tony Dungy has a feeling about one Tebow suitor:

"Left-handed guy. Same offense. Mobile quarterback," Dungy told the Dan Patrick show on Tuesday.. "As much as Mike (Vick) has been hurt, if you're Andy Reid, you probably have to look at it, and think about it."

Bringing Tebow into the mix requires in-house commitment and a flair for creativity from a coaching staff. We've seen little of the latter from Jacksonville of late, but Dungy calls the Jaguars an option because a fresh coaching staff might be willing to take a shot (and we know Shad Khan is a fan). Same goes for the Dolphins, clearly desperate for a quarterback. Folks, they just signed David Garrard -- would Tebow be such a stretch?
    Last edited by dal9; 07-22-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Intolerance of gays is homophobia. And supporting laws that do not allow same-sex marriage is intolerance.

And if true, perhaps bigotry goes both ways. Is it so hard to accept that man's beliefs? Or is it easier to insult him because his beliefs don't align with yours. What's the difference man? Just saying.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He thinks that being gay is a lifestyle ffs!!!!

Tony Dungy @TonyDungy

@StampedeBlue I don't agree with Jason Collins' lifestyle but think he deserves respect and should have opportunities like anyone else!
    3:47 PM - 3 May 2013

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/5/3...-jason-collins
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...syleaguegm.com

Tony Dungy’s statement regarding his Michael Sam comments

[Editor's note: In response to quotes that appeared in Monday's Tampa Tribune, Tony Dungy has released a statement. The full content of it appears below.]

On Monday afternoon while on vacation with my family, I was quite surprised to read excerpts from an interview I gave several weeks ago related to this year’s NFL Draft, and I feel compelled to clarify those remarks.

I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam and I answered that I would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team. At the time of my interview, the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael’s first season had been announced.

I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.

I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.

I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.

I have been asked all of those questions several times in the last three months and have always answered them the same way—by saying that playing in the NFL is, and should be, about merit.

The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they’re good enough to play. That’s my opinion as a coach. But those were not the questions I was asked.

What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams.

I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.

I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.

I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field.

My sincere hope is that we will be able to focus on his play and not on his sexual orientation.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Really glad the Dungy/Polian era is over
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I wouldn't want an Oprah Reality show on my team either.

And the Colts will never have a run of sustained excellence approaching the Dungy/Polian era. Of that I am confident.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Eh that run of excellence probably had more to do with Peyton than it did with Dungy/Polian.

That era probably won't be matched, but I think we will be fine.

Don't get me wrong, Polian built a hell of a team during his tenure, my beef was more with his arrogance and wanting to be the smartest guy in the room.

I liked Dungy, but didn't like some of his ways of coaching and his holier than thou act.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post: