Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George - we peaked too early

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George - we peaked too early

Paul George: "Had we started the playoffs in Nov/Dec we'd probably be holding up a trophy. We peaked too early." http://t.co/N5exQbPnL0
    Impossible Is Nothing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George - we peaked too early

Honest, but also meaningless. Just another step in the growth of maturity as a team and particularly for our superstar. The season is 82 games plus playoffs. Definitely think the team as a whole took their foot off the gas sometime in February and then couldn't find the horsepower again when they needed it against Miami. The Pacers are good enough to beat the ATL's and Wash's of the world like that, but will need more this year against CLE and CHI.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

A big part of that is coaching. The Pacers need to use their bench and expect them to produce. But again that comes back to using your players and their abilities
    in the smartest way possible. Vogel has to use his bench this year to rest the starters and also to make them battle tested. A big fail in both areas last year. I would rather see a worse record and a better result next year. Homecourt is still big as witnessed by San Antonio but playing better is more important than that.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

I don't think there's something as "peaking too early". You just have to be able to sustain it. Pacers were playing a level of defense, requiring energy and intensity that probably simply wasn't sustainable for an entire 82 game season.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Easy to peak in November and December when there isn't much pressure.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honest, but also meaningless. Just another step in the growth of maturity as a team and particularly for our superstar. The season is 82 games plus playoffs. Definitely think the team as a whole took their foot off the gas sometime in February and then couldn't find the horsepower again when they needed it against Miami. The Pacers are good enough to beat the ATL's and Wash's of the world like that, but will need more this year against CLE and CHI.
    Agreed. With us being this good we need to realize that we can conserve energy and still get a good seeding in the East, then go all out come playoff time.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think part of the early peak was from a pure energy perspective. They were killing themselves early on and looked gassed down the stretch. Growing process is right, they learned the hard way that they have to pace (irony) themselves.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Problem was not peaking to early, problem was not keeping it up and staying consistent.
    Why so SERIOUS

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

words can't describe how much i dislike "peaking too early" excuse. it's another way of saying we all ****ed up.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

I thought this was a more interesting part of the article:

Ultimately, George felt the Pacers simply lost their way after getting caught up in their success.

“Before we were hungry,” he said. “We started the year off hungry, the bad taste from the year before was in our mouths and everyone was on a mission. Once we started to win, the game was coming too easy. We were running away from our opponents and we just kind of forgot that edge.”

And that doomed them.

“It was a point where we came into games thinking we could just turn it on, regardless if we started bad or not. And I think that kind of put us in a funk to where teams were starting to really play us and get ready for us,” he said.

“We weren’t the team chasing opponents. We were being chased and we couldn’t find that balance between getting that edge back we started the season with.”
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blanket For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We placed entirely too much focus and energy on being the #1 Seed. That obviously weighed heavily on the teams psyche and wore them down physically down the stretch. To be honest, I could care less if this team gets the top spot or not. Im glad that they showed they were capable of doing it but its not all that important to me.

Anywhere between 1-4 seed and im satisfied. As long we dont drop off a cliff, ill have no beef with that. This team at its best is still capable of competing for the Eastern crown with a completely healthy Chicago and the Wizards as our only threaths barring Love going to Cleveland.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I tend to believe that there is no such thing as "peaking". Every team seeks ways to play its best such that their performance is better than the game before. It's a constant learning process and much of that is accomplished through establishing chemistry. The Pacers lineup carried over from the prior year, was able to continue where it left off from that prior year, and therefore had an advantage out of the gate over most teams.

As the season progressed, many other teams were able to develop similar chemistries and began playing better. The advantage that a Miami and a San Antonio had over the Pacers were they were more experienced and mentally stronger than the Pacers. When push came to shove they were better in "doing the things they do", probably because of that mental toughness, than were the the Pacers.

I think the moment Lance blew in James ear is the precise moment that James knew he had us. Go out and force your will on your opponent and prove to him that you are mentally tougher. The moment you have to resort to silly-arsed pranks to break my concentration is the moment I know I own you.

We need to learn not just to play physically we need to learn to be tough where it counts most. Between the ears. Physical play does not equate to playing tough.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Coach Sideburns also could have celebrated a lot of wins after peaking at halftime.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    words can't describe how much i dislike "peaking too early" excuse. it's another way of saying we all ****ed up.
    What is wrong with that? You prefer "no comment" when Paul is confronted by media w tough questions?
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Undefeated

Seems to me like a throwaway comment. A platitude that doesn't mean or explain anything. If we peaked then why couldn't we maintain that level of play? And how can you peak the first 3 weeks of the season? That's the real question.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    And a lot of teams are just trying to come together. Fact is November is the easiest time of the year to get wins. As many teams adjust to new coaches, new players, new everything. A lot of teams are not ready to play well coming out of training camp. Pacers were the same as the year before - same coach, same starting 5. So they were ready, few other teams were. That had a lot to do with the really fast start

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    What is wrong with that? You prefer "no comment" when Paul is confronted by media w tough questions?
    "Peaking" suggests there is a maximum level of play that your team can achieve, and once you achieve it you can only play worse. There is no such thing as long term sustaining of such a high level of play.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

J7F

As long as the team (and coach) learned from this experience and doesn't repeat it, that's all you can really ask of a young group.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

I really think the problem was as much Frank playing the starters playoff minutes as anything else. The level of defensive intensity they played with at the beginning of the year is impossible to keep up for 100+ games while playing 40 mpg. Combine that with Lance's perceived All Star snub and it all starts to unravel. Not saying Hibbert or Hill doesn't bear some responsibility for their actions in response to Lance's stuff. I really expect a better chemistry with the starters now that you don't have a role player trying to prove his Alpha status. 5 guys playing as one. Hopefully Frank learned a lesson over the last season (in reality, 2) of starter heavy basketball and will be less rigid in his rotations and more willing to give guys a chance (Cope and Rudez specifically. I'd love a Mahinmi, Watson, Cope, Rudez, CJ Miles bomber lineup).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    Paul George: "Had we started the playoffs in Nov/Dec we'd probably be holding up a trophy. We peaked too early."

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    I thought this was a more interesting part of the article:
    I always felt this was part of it. They were just ****ing spanking people left and right, play 2k or fifa on lowest difficulty you'll see that gets boring and you lose interest
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Came out focused and kicking arses, was too easy, stopped working as hard, bought into hype, things unraveled, could't get it back together.

Seems reasonable to me. Hopefully it was a lesson learned for the future.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

It's not about peaking. They were peaking the entire first half of the season if that was the case. They simply had chemistry issues they don't want to talk about. There is no other explanation for what happened.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It's not about peaking. They were peaking the entire first half of the season if that was the case. They simply had chemistry issues they don't want to talk about. There is no other explanation for what happened.
    Agree. If they peaked too early they would have a slight drop off. Instead they had a historic drop off that made them resemble the worst teams in the league at times.
    Last edited by presto123; 07-21-2014 at 07:24 PM.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    We placed entirely too much focus and energy on being the #1 Seed. That obviously weighed heavily on the teams psyche and wore them down physically down the stretch. To be honest, I could care less if this team gets the top spot or not. Im glad that they showed they were capable of doing it but its not all that important to me.

Anywhere between 1-4 seed and im satisfied. As long we dont drop off a cliff, ill have no beef with that. This team at its best is still capable of competing for the Eastern crown with a completely healthy Chicago and the Wizards as our only threaths barring Love going to Cleveland.
    I'm honestly not too confident we would beat a healthy Bulls team that has home court advantage in a series.