Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malaysian 777 flight shot down by SAM near Ukraine-Russia border. 295 dead.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Malaysian 777 flight shot down by SAM near Ukraine-Russia border. 295 dead.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 has crashed in Ukraine, on the border with Russia, with 298 people onboard. Ukraine's interior ministry says the plane was shot down by a missile.

link

Mood

Default Re: Malaysian 777 flight shot down by SAM near Ukraine-Russia border. 295 dead.

US officials say they don't believe Ukranian forces or terrorist groups have the capability to shoot down a jet from cruising altitude. So without coming right out and saying it, they believe that Russia, or some group who had access to their weapons shot down a civilian jet over the airspace of another country. If someone did this over our airspace, there would already be soldiers on the way to lay the smack down on that ****.

Mood

Default Re: Malaysian 777 flight shot down by SAM near Ukraine-Russia border. 295 dead.

It is a sad thing, did anyone else see the audio conversation that they have been playing on MSN between 2 Russian officers talking about it and discussing there might be problems with what they did? **** is starting to get real around the world and if things continue to escalate we might be looking at our next world war.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

298 dead of which atleast 181 compatriots. What an utter nightmare this is.
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-18-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

The dead include a number of scientists, activists, and world health officials who were headed to the annual International AIDS Research Conference
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28362872

If these recordings are to be believed, it was just a senseless tragedy that happened because some reckless people were given powerful weapons. I just feel so sad.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We lost a Hoosier aboard it appears. Former IU rower Karlijn Keijzer. She was 25

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The pilot was a former Hoosier too it appears. Class of '84

Ugh, it seems very likely to me the weapon was transported across the Russian border and into Ukraine...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ugh, it seems very likely to me the weapon was transported across the Russian border and into Ukraine...
    If we did not retaliate against the USSR for shooting down an airliner carrying a standing US Congressman I do not see us doing anything more than providing military aid to Ukraine to deal with the rebels and stronger sanctions on Russia. This may strengthen the support from Europe on doing sanctions against Russia. It would be interesting to see if this pushes NATO closer to accepting Ukraine.

This tragedy gave me another reason why I hate Facebook. Even before we hit the 24 hour mark I saw people on my Facebook using this tragedy as a tool to push their political agenda. So sad really.

There was some crazy stories that went along with it. A passenger posted on Facebook a picture of the aircraft and joke about it having evidence so people know what it looks like if it goes missing. A family was supposed to be on that plane, but ended up taking a later flight.

Terrible. I actually studied international development in the Netherlands in college for a semester and people there are really passionate about the issue. Luckily none of them that I keep in contact with were aboard the plane on their way to the HIV/AIDS conference.

London Times cartoon

------------

Also, this guy is reporting from the crash site:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon

Rebels have a thing for Disney nicknames. The end of the [s]#[/s]MH17 crash site where we are is run by Grumpy. Baloo was on a military tribunal.

One of the rebels casually threatens to kneecap reporters every five minutes. Another is wearing a beekeeping suit and reeks of alcohol.

Basically, the OSCE are only allowed 30m further than they were yesterday. Grumpy won't let them onto the field where debris and bodies are.
    [/quote]

Civilian airlines flying thru a war zone and we wonder who to blame? How about going around the war zone and removing this possibility regardless of the fuel costs....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

max seddon ‏@maxseddon* · 1 min. ·

'Now multiple reports of heavy fighting around Donetsk train station. Worrying implications for #MH17 victims train in Torez."

The deceased lying in that refrigerator train in Donyetsk centrail railstation better not get *****ing hit!

Putin makes me sick.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe if there was any doubt about who is to blame for this, the recordings, pictures of the rocket launcher, and the stalling by the "rebels" in letting the recovery/investigation team in have made it obvious. Throw in the other causes the Russian propaganda machine has rolled out such as the Ukraine bomber shooting it down or the plane was full of dead bodies and shot down by Americans to start a war and it only gets worse. While it is obvious no one should have been flying over the area, who knew they were going to be dumb enough to shoot down planes randomly?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Am I the only on who keeps thinking "Lusitania" as this story goes further and further?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Am I the only on who keeps thinking "Lusitania" as this story goes further and further?
    That was going through my head too.

The Lusitania was intentionally targeted and sunk. And warned even. AFAIK this flight wasn't warned and wasn't even intentionally targeted. Or was mistakenly targeted. Are we saying this civilian airliner was intentionally targeted? And then, even if it was, were the shooters part of a coordinated team or some trigger-happy lone wolves?

We've mistakenly shot down civilian airliners ourselves so the moral high ground here is a lonely place.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Not trying to take any sort of moral high ground. I'm aware of the past US incidents, just seems a different thing with the way Russia is behaving these days.

Well, I do see the similiaries of the reactions. Finger wagging to the Russians will probably be as influential as Wilson's was to the Germans.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Not trying to take any sort of moral high ground. I'm aware of the past US incidents, just seems a different thing with the way Russia is behaving these days.
    I didn't mean you if you thought that...

FWIW I haven't been following the news too closely lately but the gist of the story as I understand it is SOMEONE shot down the plane. Is it even for sure who did it yet? I hate to defend Putin here but no matter how it ties back to him, I don't think it's ever going to be anything other than an accident the plane was shot down. Unless this plane was anything other than mistakenly targeted then I don't see anything to do but bury the dead and quit flying commercial planes thru war zones. I agree with Putin saying not to try and make political hay with this. And like I said above, the US has made this mistake before and probably with a whole lot more of a connection to the normal chain of command than this incident. It wasn't just US weaponry, or a rebel fighting a US backed war that brought down the Iranian commercial flight... It was the US military.

So, spare me the political hay trying to be made on both sides and instead get commercial airliners out of that airspace.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I didn't mean you if you thought that...

FWIW I haven't been following the news too closely lately but the gist of the story as I understand it is SOMEONE shot down the plane. Is it even for sure who did it yet? I hate to defend Putin here but no matter how it ties back to him, I don't think it's ever going to be anything other than an accident the plane was shot down. Unless this plane was anything other than mistakenly targeted then I don't see anything to do but bury the dead and quit flying commercial planes thru war zones. I agree with Putin saying not to try and make political hay with this. And like I said above, the US has made this mistake before and probably with a whole lot more of a connection to the normal chain of command than this incident. It wasn't just US weaponry, or a rebel fighting a US backed war that brought down the Iranian commercial flight... It was the US military.

So, spare me the political hay trying to be made on both sides and instead get commercial airliners out of that airspace.
    ^But this is classic blaming the victim.

Regardless of who's right between Ukraine and Russia, the problem is that Russia took these buffoonish separatists, encouraged and armed them with high-powered weaponry they were ill-equipped to handle. There is a way to use these weapons "responsibly" against military targets, but (as it appears) these buffoons were firing at anything that moves, with forseeable consequences.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post

...???