Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Pacers sign Rodney Stuckey

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers sign Rodney Stuckey

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly feel we've spent way too much time discussing Evan Turner in a thread about Rodney Stuckey lol

Anyway here are some quotes from Candace who just got off the phone with Stuckey

Welcome to Indiana, Rodney
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I'm liking this signing more and more as time goes on

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

continuation of those quotes....

Grown Man Ball

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I wonder why people call him Evan Turnover.
    Because he was a good passer.... to the other team.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Turner? Good passer????? REALLY???????
    To be fair (and I don't want Turner on the team)...

In the open court, on fast breaks, he does tend to make good passes. Grimp said "good passer on the break".

The downside of course is that in the half court offense he doesn't make good passes, doesn't take good shots, doesn't move well, doesn't space the floor, and in general doesn't do anything well, really.

And 90% of our offense is predicated on half court sets.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Starting to get my mind around Stucky/Miles. If you can start Miles, it would be a similar role that Lance played with the first unit through the good part of last season. Things Miles can do with that first unit is what they need. Spread the floor for the post and play defense on the 2nd best wing. That's really it. For the second Unit, Lance got to create off the dribble with drives and pull ups from mid range and find create for teammates. That's what Stucky does or has done historically.

I'm not saying Miles/Stuckey = Lance, but I am saying you have some skill sets that might really fit and I get the idea of it now.

Miles is starting Lance. Stuckey is bench Lance. Or that's the idea, I think.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Starting to get my mind around Stucky/Miles. If you can start Miles, it would be a similar role that Lance played with the first unit through the good part of last season. Things Miles can do with that first unit is what they need. Spread the floor for the post and play defense on the 2nd best wing. That's really it. For the second Unit, Lance got to create off the dribble with drives and pull ups from mid range and find create for teammates. That's what Stucky does or has done historically.

I'm not saying Miles/Stuckey = Lance, but I am saying you have some skill sets that might really fit and I get the idea of it now.

Miles is starting Lance. Stuckey is bench Lance. Or that's the idea, I think.

I feel Stuckey is replacing CJ or replacing Hill. I wonder... if Hill is traded for a two guard and Stuckey is slid to PG. I don't hate Stuckey, but losing Lance and Turner with NO return. Not even a draft pick, sucks. If we had dangled Lance at the trade deadline...... IF ONLY.

Has anything about this signing actually come out of the Pacers organization yet? I know Candace has been tweeting an interview with Stuckey, but I thought we would have heard at least something from Bird & Co. by now.

Unlike a guy who used to wear #1 for the Pacers, Rodney Stuckey wants to play in Indy next year. For that, I'll support him and hope he gets his career back on track.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I feel Stuckey is replacing CJ or replacing Hill. I wonder... if Hill is traded for a two guard and Stuckey is slid to PG. I don't hate Stuckey, but losing Lance and Turner with NO return. Not even a draft pick, sucks. If we had dangled Lance at the trade deadline...... IF ONLY.
    Stuckey and Miles are replacing Lance, not Stuckey alone.

If we had dangled Lance at the trade deadline...... IF ONLY.
    Yes, teams that are in a position to be a #1 seed usually try to dump their better players at the trade deadline.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post

Well he is saying the right things!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Stuckey and Miles are replacing Lance, not Stuckey alone.
    Miles will start. I believe when you look at the contracts? Miles contract is starter money and starter years. Stuckey is backing him up. So when I look at our team now, I see we added a two guard in Miles who is a better shooter/scorer than Lance in terms of shooting from deep.

West
    PG
    Hibbert
    Miles
    Hill

^ Our point guard search is not over. Larry's dropped hints about that position all off season. A 1 year rental of Stuckey doesn't smell like "the one". So I see two things possibly happening.......

A whole new backcourt coming in via trade. Miles and Stuckey are back up 2 (SG) and 1 (PG). But, a more likely option.................

We move one of our bigs for a more athletic, defensive, and scoring big. And we acquire a new PG. That would give us.....

New big
    PG
    Hibbert
    Miles
    New PG

or

West
    PG
    New Big
    Miles
    New PG

The second scenario is the most likely one. So lets put out a hypothetical ok? Lets say we land Dragic somehow. Lets say Larry is persistent and hammers away at trying to land Goran, and we do. We'd then be.......

West
    PG
    Hibbert
    Miles
    Dragic

A Miles/Dragic backcourt is far more effective offensively than Hill and Lance. Especially from long range. This also takes pressure off Roy. Teams will be afraid to double him. This means he can "go to work" more often in the paint. Because who wants to leave Miles and Goran open? Death wish right? So my summary is...... we begin next season with 1 new big and a new point guard. Miles starts, and we actually are still contenders.
    Last edited by Grimp; 07-17-2014 at 06:14 PM.

I went back to the original Turner trade thread, to compare reactions, and basically no one on this forum is good at watching basketball. Hey but that Zach Lowe guy, maybe there is a reason they pay him to write sports:
    The negative stuff: Turner can’t shoot from 3-point range, and he’s a very bad perimeter defender with so-so instincts and a disastrously slow and out of whack first step on defense.
    The good-to-middling stuff: He’s a tricky ball-handler who does well on the pick-and-roll, has learned to draw fouls by taking one extra bounce toward the rim, and throws nifty passes in tight spaces. He’s a decent midrange shooter when open, even though he lost the corner 3 this season after flashing it last season. He’s putting up strong per-game stats — 17 points, 6 boards — but Philly’s insane pace and lack of overall talent around him are inflating those numbers.
    Put broadly: Turner is just not that good an NBA player, and the things he does well require him having the basketball. Well, Lance Stephenson has already turned into the ball-handling captain of the second unit, even pushing C.J. Watson, a nominal point guard, mostly off the ball. Stephenson’s a good enough 3-point shooter to spot up around Turner-centric plays, but that would represent a large rejiggering of Indy’s second-unit offense late in the game. Turner isn’t providing much spacing as a spot-up guy around Stephenson, and he’s probably a defensive downgrade even from a hobbled Granger. And those bench units have survived based upon very stingy defense. Turner might be able to goose the offense a bit by pushing the base, running the occasional pick-and-roll, and driving past defenders when Stephenson kicks the ball to him on the perimeter. But we have to see that in action.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

How can you guys say Evan Turner is not a good passer???? It's not like any of us has ever seen him pass the ball to know....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The more I think about this signing the more I like it, and he's saying the right things. He has some skills and I was a fan of his a few years back.

Hopefully he fits in better here and can regain some of that promise he showed from 3-4 years ago.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Mood

Listening to Stuckey's interviews on Pacers.com, it just sounds like he wants to win, and the majority of his frustration came from the lack of that... If he can get his spot up 3 pt shooting better then he could be a really good addition for us to have, I think his aggressiveness at times could really help us as well, but you never know, I think he will be respectful dude and will helping any way he can, but only time will tell.
    Why so SERIOUS

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Listening to Stuckey's interviews on Pacers.com, it just sounds like he wants to win, and the majority of his frustration came from the lack of that... If he can get his spot up 3 pt shooting better then he could be a really good addition for us to have, I think his aggressiveness at times could really help us as well, but you never know, I think he will be respectful dude and will helping any way he can, but only time will tell.

He doesn't need to worry about his 3 point shooting. It's something that he has never been good at. What he needs to do, in his 1 year contract, is do what he's good at and play to his strengths. We don't need him trying to focus on fixing a weakness that he hasn't been able to fix in 8 seasons.
    Grown Man Ball

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

He's said all the right things, I think Stuckey will have a good year with us.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

sav

He doesn't need to worry about his 3 point shooting. It's something that he has never been good at. What he needs to do, in his 1 year contract, is do what he's good at and play to his strengths. We don't need him trying to focus on fixing a weakness that he hasn't been able to fix in 8 seasons.
    I think he NEEDS to work on it ALOT. So when he finds himself open, he can knock it down. He's a guard after all. I am not saying he needs to turn into CJ Miles #2, but if he's open in a swing-the-ball scenario? He needs to knock that shot down.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

sav

Mood

I personally thing he should work on it, he said his main focus for the summer is working on shooting... I don't think he has ever had to or really practiced spot up 3 point shooting, but playing with the Pacers it could served to be a very valuable tool when paired with the first unit. I think he will be perfectly fine with the second unit, his penetrating abilites should come in handy with all of the long range guys we have added.

Could you imagine a 2nd team with Watson, Stucky, Rudez, Copeland and Mahimi. That should be really good when we are in need of scoring help off the bench.
    Why so SERIOUS

I think Vogel will have a lot of options to look at.

Start GHill at PG with Stuckey at SG, to help Hill bring the ball up court.

Start Stuckey at PG and move GHill to his natural position of SG.

Start GHill at PG and Miles at SG to spread the floor.

I think I am starting to like the Stuckey and Miles signings. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I personally thing he should work on it, he said his main focus for the summer is working on shooting... I don't think he has ever had to or really practiced spot up 3 point shooting, but playing with the Pacers it could served to be a very valuable tool when paired with the first unit. I think he will be perfectly fine with the second unit, his penetrating abilites should come in handy with all of the long range guys we have added.

Could you imagine a 2nd team with Watson, Stucky, Rudez, Copeland and Mahimi. That should be really good when we are in need of scoring help off the bench.

LaVoy will play over Ian. I am sure of it, unless Frank is still nuts. Ian has bad big man skills. I mean, when you can't even catch the rock and complete a dunk. Good god. I am also not sold on CJ Watson sticking around........... YET.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I think Vogel will have a lot of options to look at.

Start GHill at PG with Stuckey at SG, to help Hill bring the ball up court.

Start Stuckey at PG and move GHill to his natural position of SG.

Start GHill at PG and Miles at SG to spread the floor.

I think I am starting to like the Stuckey and Miles signings. It will be interesting to see what happens.

If Hill is not traded he needs to come off the bench. I just cannot stand his lack of passion any longer. If only Hill had Lance's fire and passion to even be on an NBA court. I wouldn't mind Hill if he just sucked at shooting the ball, that can be corrected. But his lack of heart and constipated/I don't wanna be here facial expressions are a serious aggravation.

If Hill is not traded he needs to come off the bench.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but at $8 million per year, he will be starting.