Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire Larry Bird

Default Re: Fire Larry Bird

I'm starting to wonder more about Monday's role. Outside of Watson we haven't made solid moves since he's been gone.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Got to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm starting to wonder more about Monday's role. Outside of Watson we haven't made solid moves since he's been gone.
    Yeah, I'm still really iffy about Pritchard.

Eh, I know he isn't the head guy but not like Morway's been doing great stuff in Milwaukee.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I believe we have acquired two serviceable backup wings in Miles and Stuckey. I would not be shocked to see Solo start and Paul start at the 2. That would be a great defensive team but our offense would need a complete overhaul.
    I too would hope Solo can start. CJ and Stuckey are bench players. Put Solo in the starting lineup strictly for defense and 3 pointers.
    David "And One" West

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I too would hope Solo can start. CJ and Stuckey are bench players. Put Solo in the starting lineup strictly for defense and 3 pointers.
    I think he's probably too green to start now. None of us knows his ceiling, but we have a decent idea where he is now. Also, both Miles & Stuckey are both 2 guards so unless we make a trade, one of them is likely to start.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with you that their both bench players, but that's just where we're at right not.
    Last edited by Believe_in_blue; 07-16-2014 at 10:33 PM.

I can't believe all Stephenson wanted was less years. Pretty disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    We once traded the pick that became Michael Jordan
    We also once drafted Rick Robey over Larry Bird, and we once traded the pick that became Bernard King.

These 3 things happened in a 6 year span...
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    We once traded the pick that became Michael Jordan
    It was actually Sam Bowie, but close enough. At least Portland ****ed that up bigger than we did.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LeRyan07 View Post
    I can't believe all Stephenson wanted was less years. Pretty disappointing
    well, and more money too

Indiana's offer vs Charlotte's offer, purely by cash.

2014/2015...........Indiana $7.640 million, Charlotte $9.000 million....difference of $1.360 million
    2015/2016...........Indiana $8.213 million, Charlotte $9.000 million....difference of $787,000
    2016/2017...........Indiana $8.829 million, Charlotte $9.500 million....difference of $671,000
    2017/2018...........Indiana $9.491 million+, Charlotte $0 FREE AGENT (Lance's mind: 15 million)
    2018/2019...........Indiana $10.203 million+, Charlotte $0 FREE AGENT (Lance's mind: 16 million)

so 2.8 M less over 3 years,

and in his mind anyway, 11 M less over the last 2 years
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Actually, that would be the offseason where our main pickups were: Kareem Rush, Maceo Baston, and Travis Deiner. I think we may have not even had a first round pick that year. However, we did get Stanko that year so there's that.

You are correct the Pacers pick went to Atlanta to help get Harrington. Bird then got a 2nd rd pick to draft Stanko.

Kemo's PG.... Travis Diener. Best thing about Diener was his good looking wife.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I forgot about the Kawhi Leonard trade. Larry traded away the best player of the 2011 draft.
    You must have forgot about Kyrie Irving and Klay Thompson. And I dont know how many times ppl will have to say that Pacers picked Leonard FOR the Spurs. No one but the FO knows who we woulda picked had we not traded it away. Step back from the ledge bub. Youre letting your emotions keep you from thinking rationally.
    I Bleed Blue

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm more curious about Thursday's role.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Thanks auto correct.

And yes, we know the Pacers wanted Leonard. They almost called the trade off when he was still available at 15. It's been published.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Larry gave him an equal or better offer and he wanted to play somewhere else.

example:
    You have a headache and need advil.

My store sells it for $5 a bottle.
    The store down the street sells it for $5.25 a bottle.
    You buy it at the more expensive store.

Then you tell me that my price was too high.

Um, no, it was not.

You just wanted to go to that other store, apparently. Maybe they have a cute checkout girl?
    So you're saying MJ is cuter than Larry?
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.

After signing Rodney Stuckey, and blowing Plan A (Lance) and Plan B (Turner)... Unless Larry pulls off some brilliant trade before the Summer ends, Pacergeek can save me a seat on the FIRE LARRY BIRD train.

Sports Logo

Somebody please close this thread.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Handoverfist For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    After signing Rodney Stuckey, and blowing Plan A (Lance) and Plan B (Turner)... Unless Larry pulls off some brilliant trade before the Summer ends, Pacergeek can save me a seat on the FIRE LARRY BIRD train.
    This absolutely has to be a ****ing joke. Larry wasn't trying to get Turner back, or he would've.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

This is the second thread I've seen you've mention that Evan was plan B. Only in your mind is that anywhere near the truth.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Even if Larry were only an AVERAGE front office leader, why would you want to get rid of one of the few advantages Indiana has? When we call on free agents, we get to greet them with one of the best players in the history of the league. Our players have easy access to a guy who's won at all levels of the NBA game.

Are you kidding me?
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    This absolutely has to be a ****ing joke. Larry wasn't trying to get Turner back, or he would've.

Turner was widely regarded as plan B. That's why Larry traded for a player who was exactly like Lance. Not personality wise, but game wise. Both make fancy passes, both are ball dominant, both work of the dribble, both are mid-range shooters. What confuses me is, if talks with Lance broke down so early, why not use plan B, Turner? He's better than Stuckey. Turner has an ALL AROUND GAME. He's polished, mature, and led a team in scoring. And was the number 1 option for a team at a point in his career.

Stuckey has none of those qualifications. And he's not even known by Pacer fans. We had a half season of Turner. Stuckey just got here like 5 minutes ago.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know who was responsible for the fight between E.T. and Lance on the eve of the playoffs, but that could be part of the reason Turner is no longer plan B. His performance too obviously. I didn't hate E.T. as much as most, and I thought with an offseason/training camp and time to adapt he could have been better, especially as a starter. With all this being said, he wasn't a great fit here and hopefully he revives his career somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    I don't know who was responsible for the fight between E.T. and Lance on the eve of the playoffs, but that could be part of the reason Turner is no longer plan B. His performance too obviously. I didn't hate E.T. as much as most, and I thought with an offseason/training camp and time to adapt he could have been better, especially as a starter. With all this being said, he wasn't a great fit here and hopefully he revives his career somewhere else.

We were told there wasn't even a fight. Just a practice that got a bit too hot.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Turner was widely regarded as plan B. That's why Larry traded for a player who was exactly like Lance. Not personality wise, but game wise. Both make fancy passes, both are ball dominant, both work of the dribble, both are mid-range shooters. What confuses me is, if talks with Lance broke down so early, why not use plan B, Turner? He's better than Stuckey. Turner has an ALL AROUND GAME. He's polished, mature, and led a team in scoring. And was the number 1 option for a team at a point in his career.

Stuckey has none of those qualifications. And he's not even known by Pacer fans. We had a half season of Turner. Stuckey just got here like 5 minutes ago.
    So what you are saying is that when the trade was made it was made with Turner being plan B in mind. Your not saying that after the season was over that they had him in mind as plan B if Lance didn't work out?

If that is the case then I think I can agree with it. I think the trade was made with that in mind but once he got here he (for whatever reason) just did not fit in.

I am 100% sure that once the season was over he was never considered to be part of the future and Bird in his post mortum on the season even said the next team Evan went to he would score more, meaning he wasn't going to be here.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    So what you are saying is that when the trade was made it was made with Turner being plan B in mind. Your not saying that after the season was over that they had him in mind as plan B if Lance didn't work out?

If that is the case then I think I can agree with it. I think the trade was made with that in mind but once he got here he (for whatever reason) just did not fit in.

I am 100% sure that once the season was over he was never considered to be part of the future and Bird in his post mortum on the season even said the next team Evan went to he would score more, meaning he wasn't going to be here.

That is what I'm saying. People on this board, people in the NBA media, and I think the feeling around the organization was bringing Turner in gave us an extra scorer off the bench. AND......... a replacement if Lance left. People saw the similarities in their game, and Turner was Lance lite. Meaning Lance minus the theatrics and such. Turner languished here mostly because Frank didn't know how to use him. Most of that was on Frank, but also because ET arrived mid-season. So it's like, I don't think Frank had a feel of all that he could do on the floor.

Also look at Turner's contract. RFA. They knew if Lance bolted, just replace him with Turner. Being an RFA means it's easier and less expensive to negotiate an extension. I think Larry said what he said because he was so confident they'd be able to keep Lance. But obviously, he was wrong. So bringing Turner back in makes more sense than Stuckey. Turner at least gives you size at the SG position right at what Lance's size was. Turner's post up game is a bit more polished. But he doesn't possess the "fire" and "edge" Lance had. Other than that, they're extremely similar. Stuckey makes you smaller, less polished, and less skilled at the SG position.