Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the next move?

Default Re: So what's the next move?

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

NO.

I'd WAAAAAAY rather do nothing else than sign Turner.
    haha me too, but we do need some 2 guard help and don't see many options.

I keep coming back to wanting to make a trade with Memphis. I would love to make a trade to get Gasol even though it is not very likely. I am hoping we can take some of their bad contracts off their hands- they have tons of swing players.
    Tayshaun Prince $7.7 mil expiring
    Courtney Lee $5.5 - 2 more years
    Tony Allen $5 mil - 3 more years
    Vince Carter $4 mil - 3 years (3rd year unguaranteed)
    Quincy Pointdexter - $3 mil - 4 more years!
    Jamal Franklin $1 mil - 2 years (I remember people wanted to draft him a couple of years ago)

These are next year's salaries and they really have a glut of wings, especially after signing Vince Carter. I doubt they would trade us either Conley or Gasol, but maybe if we also take back Prince or Pointdexter plus Gasol for Hibert+Solo+Ian+Pick? Wishful thinking, but maybe they don't want to resign an aging Gasol next year?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well in that case trade Scola for Kevin Seraphin and Glen Rice Jr.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    The best thing is to move Hill at the "2" and find a capable point guard. Bad news is it will probably won't happen. *sigh*
    I don't understand the whole "move Hill to the 2" talk. What difference in his play does anyone expect from a "on paper" change.

Here is what I mean. Hill was not currently performing the duties associated with playing the point position.

He was not the guy directing traffic on the floor, or calling plays on the floor. Paul or Lance handled the ball as much as Hill did. He was not the main distributor of the ball.

He really did not play like a point guard, and has said many times himself that he is not a point guard.

So how does simply assigning him a number 2 next to his name on the starting lineup change how he plays.

I don't see how it changes things for him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I don't understand the whole "move Hill to the 2" talk. What difference in his play does anyone expect from a "on paper" change.

Here is what I mean. Hill was not currently performing the duties associated with playing the point position.

He was not the guy directing traffic on the floor, or calling plays on the floor. Paul or Lance handled the ball as much as Hill did. He was not the main distributor of the ball.

He really did not play like a point guard, and has said many times himself that he is not a point guard.

So how does simply assigning him a number 2 next to his name on the starting lineup change how he plays.

I don't see how it changes things for him.
    I get that but

1) Even moving at 2 "on paper' makes him feel more natural there. As you said, he has repeatedly said he is not a point guard. Playing off the ball and when having it, will make him more assertive with his drives or shooting.

2) Now Lance is gone, we should run far more plays for him. Admittedly we didn't run plays for him last year. At all. That in combination with him being in his more natural position, may get us better results.

I know, I'm reaching but I want him to come good as we must improve the best from within too. As much as possible. Especially now we don't have cap room to maneuver via trades.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

So apparently Plan B is Stuckey

Could have been worse. Stuckey is poor man's Lance IMO.

We still have no money though, other than vet min, and I'm not sure that the Pistons can S&T him even if they want to.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

I will say this: I can live with a Hill/Watson/George/West/Hibbert lineup. If Watson is healthy, and Hill is willing to do what he needs to improve his game this offseason, that's entirely doable. It works for what the Pacers do.

Problem then becomes the bench. You're leaning heavily on Sloan. That would be gross.

I would expect PG24 to log a lot more minutes this year. May be times, too, where Solo/Rudez come in at the 3, and PG24 slides over to the 2.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I would expect PG24 to log a lot more minutes this year. May be times, too, where Solo/Rudez come in at the 3, and PG24 slides over to the 2.
    Yeah. Paul G played 36 mpg last year, while the league leaders were Melo and Jimmy Butler at 38.7 mpg. I think PG is going to break that mark next season.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Yeah. Paul G played 36 mpg last year, while the league leaders were Melo and Jimmy Butler at 38.7 mpg. I think PG is going to break that mark next season.

Time to call Milwaukee and see if that Mayo+Sanders+Knight for Hibbert deal is still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Time to call Milwaukee and see if that Mayo+Sanders+Knight for Hibbert deal is still available.
    when was that offer ever available? Do you have a link?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blanket For This Useful Post:

I think I would rather go with GHill/Miles at SG, PG/Solo at SF and Stuckey/Watson at the point.
    Last edited by sav; 07-16-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    He had a great run of good moves but that run seems to have ended and he has gone back to his earlier bad choices types of moves. I do see the value in addition by subtraction, Lance was an issue with teammates from what we can see, maybe letting him go is better for the team. But talent wise we just got poorer and right when the Heat self destructed leaving the pacers as the favorites (at least until this morning) to come out of the east.
    The Scola trade came back to haunt us again, no draft pick and less money for our FAs.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    when was that offer ever available? Do you have a link?
    Around draft time, they called up for Hibbert. Milwaukee did. http://fansided.com/2014/07/10/nba-t...bbert/#!bgbK6G

Around draft time, they called up for Hibbert. Milwaukee did. http://fansided.com/2014/07/10/nba-t...bbert/#!bgbK6G
    yes, I'm aware of that. But I've not seen it reported anywhere, including the article you link to, that the Bucks offered Sanders, Mayo and Knight for Hibbert.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

16. The Following User Says Thank You to blanket For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If there are no further changes I would be more comfortable starting Watson at the point and Hill at the 2 rather than having a Hill/Miles backcourt. Hill is short, but has really long arms and the two position is not exactly stacked with offensive guys around the league, so I think we can get by with that and have a point who can stretch the court. Let Miles be offensive firepower off the bench and hopefully Donald Sloan is ready to get 12-15 minutes off the bench.

Ideally I would love to get another point guard, but if that can't happen this is what I would like to see going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    If there are no further changes I would be more comfortable starting Watson at the point and Hill at the 2 rather than having a Hill/Miles backcourt. Hill is short, but has really long arms and the two position is not exactly stacked with offensive guys around the league, so I think we can get by with that and have a point who can stretch the court. Let Miles be offensive firepower off the bench and hopefully Donald Sloan is ready to get 12-15 minutes off the bench.

Ideally I would love to get another point guard, but if that can't happen this is what I would like to see going forward.
    I have more faith in Solo being a 30+ minute starter than I do of Sloan being an 8mg primary backup. If you move Hill full time to the 2 position you better be bringing in another PG better than Sloan.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    yes, I'm aware of that. But I've not seen it reported anywhere, including the article you link to, that the Bucks offered Sanders, Mayo and Knight for Hibbert.
    That was the rumored offer. It makes sense because Sanders for Hibbert doesn't work salary wise. So they'd have to add more pieces.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

We aren't going to sign any one of value with the vet minumum, and, assuming no trades, I'm all for:

GHill/Watson
    Miles/GHill/Solo
    PG/Solo/Cope
    West/Allen/Cope
    Hibbert/Mahinmi/Allen

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I have more faith in Solo being a 30+ minute starter than I do of Sloan being an 8mg primary backup. If you move Hill full time to the 2 position you better be bringing in another PG better than Sloan.
    Good call. I forgot about Solo. With that said I have faith Sloan can give us something in the range of 8-10 minutes here and there.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Let's go get Eric Gordon!

Get the Grimp on the phone with New Orleans, stat!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Jammer Nelson at PG can give us a year or two until we can get some financial flexibility. Hill moves to SG. Nelson is a veteran with good ball handling skills and scoring ability and should come pretty cheap. His veteran presence cannot be stated enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Let's go get Eric Gordon!

Get the Grimp on the phone with New Orleans, stat!
    Bringing Eric Gordon home would probably alleviate some anger from fans over losing Lance. But physically, who knows what condition Gordon is in these days. The surgeries are piling up. The only way a deal like that works, is if they offer Ryan Anderson as a sweetener. Even then, it's not as much an upgrade as a Jackson+Lamb or Dragic+Green.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Bulls just release Ronnie Brewer
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    On that note, I will be wishing and hoping that Solo turns into a quality player if we don't add anyone significant. I like CJ Watson, but starting point guard? No thanks.

I think the next move is a trade for a guard (or keep ET).

Tier A for me would be: Rondo, Dragic, Rubio, Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, Trey Burke, Alec Burks
    Tier B for me would be: Kendall Marshall, Nash, Evan Turner, Tony Wroten
    Tier C would be: Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb

3 options
    If Miles is decent at SG start him.
    If Solo can play some SF then move PG over to the SG position.
    Start Watson at PG and move Hill to SG.

Lineups can change with required matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    On that note, I will be wishing and hoping that Solo turns into a quality player if we don't add anyone significant. I like CJ Watson, but starting point guard? No thanks.

I think the next move is a trade for a guard (or keep ET).

Tier A for me would be: Rondo, Dragic, Rubio, Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, Trey Burke, Alec Burks
    Tier B for me would be: Kendall Marshall, Nash, Evan Turner, Tony Wroten
    Tier C would be: Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb

Tyreke is done. He'll never be anything beyond a tweener player in the NBA. Can't believe NO even wanted him so bad. I don't think any of the Burke/Burks over in Utah are for sale. Rubio can't shoot. Gordon's contract is terrible for such a fragile player physically. Rondo would be a PG, still need a SG.

I'd go with Turner even if we could make a trade. Just put Rondo, Dragic, or Reggie Jackson in the back court with him. Nash??????? Seriously? Marshall I think is a bit unproven at this point. Off the bench though? All day. Wroten is meh. Lamb is a shooting guard so we'd still need to flip someone for a PG. Rivers? Unproven. Too many ???'s.