Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bosh Staying in Miami

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bosh Staying in Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tim Duncan has rings and he has signed for less the last three contracts. And that is why he Manu and Parker have more rings that Bosh, Wade, and Lebron.
    No, they have more rings because they've been together for 12 years.

It astonishes me when people try to turn maximizing your professional worth into a morality play.

Nobody is offering 95-year old Tim Duncan a max deal, even the Spurs. He hasn't had that kind of market value in 5 years.

Like Manu and Parker, he still looks good because he's treated with kid gloves and never has to really work hard until April. Bosh does not have that luxury.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-11-2014 at 07:30 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    If you are making that much money and your earning potential is that high, I doubt the $26 million was that big of a deal. We've read for years how much Bosh and his wife love living in Miami. I think that is the biggest reason, although the extra scratch doesn't hurt.
    $26 million is $26 million, especially if you plan on living like a king for another 50+ years and you don't know if you'll ever get another paycheck once you retire.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously Miami isn't close to being contenders anymore, but signing Bosh is a good step to becoming a contender sooner rather than later.
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Miami without LeBron James and with DWade a year older isn't a scary team. When Wade sits...and he will do that a lot...the Heat will stink. LeBron makes all the players on that team much better.
    LeBron didn't make Bosh better. It took him away from the block even more often.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

The funniest part about all this is Miami still owes Cleveland their 1st rounder next season from the original LeBron trade 4 years ago....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Obviously Miami isn't close to being contenders anymore, but signing Bosh is a good step to becoming a contender sooner rather than later.
    How? They're going to be a .500 team for the next few years. Good enough to make the playoffs, but not nearly good enough to win it all. It's like an NFL team that goes 9-7 or 8-8 every year and drafts in the middle of the first round; they get average players and stay average.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    How? They're going to be a .500 team for the next few years. Good enough to make the playoffs, but not nearly good enough to win it all. It's like an NFL team that goes 9-7 or 8-8 every year and drafts in the middle of the first round; they get average players and stay average.
    Or like an NBA that hovers near 36-40 wins per season for a few years, signs a quality free agent and within two years is in game 7 of the ECF? Only instead of Danny Granger + role players they're starting with Chris Bosh + aging Wade (guessing) + role players?
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

So the Heat might play Bosh as a stretch 5 with McBob at the elbows acting as the hub of the Heat offense with Danny floating around the arc...

Karma is a *itch best served cold

Or some mixed metaphor like that

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    $26 million>better team

Let's not pretend that anyone else with common sense wouldn't have made that same decision.

Bosh has his 2 rings. Time for one last big payday.
    I think it's $30 million more. But it's only $30 million more if he never plays again after the contract, which is doubtful considering he still only be 35.

Miami offer: $118 million over 5 years: averages $23.6 million a year.
    Houston offer: $88 million over 4 years: averages $22 million a year.

They are almost identical on a per year basis, but the kicker is obviously that Miami can offer the fifth year which makes their contract worth a lot more. However, it's not like Bosh would be retiring after 4 or 5 years unless he gets unexpectedly injured. So let's say that he plays 4 years in Houston at $88 million and then signs a new contract that starts him at $12 million. That means that in five years, he'd make about $100 million in Houston compared to $118 million in Miami over 5 years. That's not a trivial difference, but I have a hard time believing that someone like Bosh would really notice a difference in $18 million over five years. Can't fault him for taking the money though and obviously he loves Miami. He has his rings.

The question is are they going to give Wade the same insane contract now or try to go after another free agent.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Default Bosh Staying in Miami

No, they have more rings because they've been together for 12 years.

It astonishes me when people try to turn maximizing your professional worth into a morality play.

Nobody is offering 95-year old Tim Duncan a max deal, even the Spurs. He hasn't had that kind of market value in 5 years.

Like Manu and Parker, he still looks good because he's treated with kid gloves and never has to really work hard until April. Bosh does not have that luxury.
    And how have they stayed together in a small market? They took less.

And how have they afforded a bench to give them rest while they compete? They took less.

They understand the value of a team working together to win. And giving up a few million to do it is worth it to them. Just like the Big Three taking less to come together.

And what does morality have to do with it? Yes the players have every right to get the max whether they are worth it or not. I don't don't blame them. By please don't ask for a trade later because the team hasn't given you enough talent to win. Looking at you Melo.

Forbid me suggesting that sacrificing gains the highest price. Forgive me for suggesting that if a player wants to win he might have to take a little less to surround them with the talent they need.

I get it though. The big bad management want to short dollar the blue collar worker. Let's all eat the rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    And how have they stayed together in a small market? They took less.

And how have they afforded a bench to give them rest while they compete? They took less.

They understand the value of a team working together to win. And giving up a few million to do it is worth it to them. Just like the Big Three taking less to come together.

And what does morality have to do with it? Yes the players have every right to get the max whether they are worth it or not. I don't don't blame them. By please don't ask for a trade later because the team hasn't given you enough talent to win. Looking at you Melo.

Forbid me suggesting that sacrificing gains the highest price. Forgive me for suggesting that if a player wants to win he might have to take a little less to surround them with the talent they need.

I get it though. The big bad management want to short dollar the blue collar worker. Let's all eat the rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The owners already ate the players alive three years ago. The players should bite back when they have the opportunity.

Bosh got a ridiculous offer that no one would refuse. Most players would play in Siberia for that money, and Miami isn't exactly Siberia. There is absolutely nothing wrong about this.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

The coasts don't even know we exist:

Woj also says Wade is likely to sign a short-term deal, allowing the Heat to keep two members of their Big Three. Miami will likely take a big step back without LeBron, but it sounds like they will once again be contenders in the Eastern Conference.
    The question for Wizards fans now becomes who the favorite in the Southeast division is. Are the Heat with Wade and Bosh still better than a rising Washington Wizards team? Or should the Wizards now be the frontrunners to take over the division

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The coasts don't even know we exist:

Woj also says Wade is likely to sign a short-term deal, allowing the Heat to keep two members of their Big Three. Miami will likely take a big step back without LeBron, but it sounds like they will once again be contenders in the Eastern Conference.
    The question for Wizards fans now becomes who the favorite in the Southeast division is. Are the Heat with Wade and Bosh still better than a rising Washington Wizards team? Or should the Wizards now be the frontrunners to take over the division
    Why would a paragraph on the southeast division have anything to do with the Indiana pacers?

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Bosh is making a mistake.
    While I agree that Houston would be the better fit for Bosh, Miami is making the bigger mistake here. This is clearly a desperation signing. Bosh goes from being your third option to your first, while making max money? Good luck with that. What free agent is going to want to join this Miami team now?

I must be the only person who believe that getting the fifth year at 30 is overrated. I would rather resign a four year agreement, then try to get a three to four agreement that takes me into in my twilight years. By taking five years at his age, I really believe that he's taking a risk that no one will want him after that 5 years is up. Plus, he could have a gotten another ring during his time with Houston, unless Riley pulls off something.

IMHO, taking the fifth year just because it's there is such a short-sighted action.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    While I agree that Houston would be the better fit for Bosh, Miami is making the bigger mistake here. This is clearly a desperation signing. Bosh goes from being your third option to your first, while making max money? Good luck with that. What free agent is going to want to join this Miami team now?
    That move seemed very unlike Pat Riley. I would have to believe that the owner pushed him to do it to save face.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to FrenchConnection For This Useful Post:

I must be the only person who believe that getting the fifth year at 30 is overrated.
    Yes.

I would rather resign a four year agreement, then try to get a three to four agreement that takes me into in my twilight years. By taking five years at his age, I really believe that he's taking a risk that no one will want him after that 5 years is up.
    Because at age 34, other teams will want him for 3-4 more years, but only one year later, he's going to be forced into retirement...

IMHO, taking the fifth year just because it's there is such a short-sighted action.
    a short sighted action worth roughly $30 million. I'm sure he'd totally make that money up if he were a free agent again in 4 years.

Yes.

Because at age 34, other teams will want him for 3-4 more years, but only one year later, he's going to be forced into retirement...

a short sighted action worth roughly $30 million. I'm sure he'd totally make that money up if he were a free agent again in 4 years.
    I wasn't saying that he would forced into retirement at 35. At the end of the five-year contract, he'll be 35 turning 36 that seasons. At that age, he may have shown some type of decline, and maybe offered only mid-level or veteran minimum type contracts. With a four year contract, he would be 34 turning 35 that season. To me, he would be at that "What If" age of his career where he could command more money, because of his name and hope he's able to still produce at a KG or Paul Pierce type level. Plus, I'm taking in consideration that he could win another ring with Houston where he'll make more money on that alone, and that Miami will NOT be contending for the next couple of years.

If he wanted only the money right now, then he made the right decision. If he wanted to continued securing his place in NBA history, then he should have went with Houston where he would have been playing alongside Harden and Howard while playing at his natural position. Again...it's total what you value more. Personally, I value securing my place in history more than the money. Ironic enough and depending on how he played in Houston, he could have made more money in the long run.

Personally, I value securing my place in history more than the money. Ironic enough and depending on how he played in Houston, he could have made more money in the long run.
    Unless you're going to tell us that you've have personal experience with turning down a 9-figure contract in exchange for your "place in history" then you have no clue what you're talking about.

It's very easy for joe fan to tell someone else to pass over $26 million because "that's what I'd do." Please.

And no, he would not ever have made up that $30 million at age 35 in the long run if he were a free agent at age 34. That's flat out wrong.

Unless you're going to tell us that you've have personal experience with turning down a 9-figure contract in exchange for your "place in history" then you have no clue what you're talking about.

It's very easy for joe fan to tell someone else to pass over $26 million because "that's what I'd do." Please.

And no, he would not ever have made up that $30 million at age 35 in the long run if he were a free agent at age 34. That's flat out wrong.
    Well, that's my what I do that in my personal life now, so why would it be any different, because I'm dealing with millions of dollars? Some people would give up their humanity for millions of dollars. I'm not that person. I have taken positions for less money, because I saw a bigger payday and happier situation down the road.

I'm sorry that you don't believe that there are people out there who valve other things more than money.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 07-12-2014 at 12:05 PM.

And before you give me the "It's not a nine figure offer you're declining" comment, the money that I declined was a lot to ME and MY current living conditions. People live their lives according to the money they make. Just because NBA players are making millions of dollars, doesn't mean they're living their lives like they're only making $100K. That's the biggest misconception that us "Joe Fans" make in that we believe these athletes have money just laying around in their homes and banks. They pay bill and taxes just like me...they just pay more of them. Hell, I don't wake up in the morning wondering if my agent is getting paid on time.

I think Riley is just gambling that the East sucks, and it's not a terrible gamble. If the Heat were in the West, I have no doubt Riley blows up that roster and starts anew. And, hey, that may actually be the smarter play even now. But I think he's just gambling that Bosh/Wade/Haslem/McBob/Birdman if resigned/etc. likely still get that team into the playoffs in the East...and it's anyone's ballgame from there.

My take: it's a bad short-term gamble. He may be right; the East may be lousy enough to where the Heat are a 3-6 seed regardless with that roster. But everyone in that franchise will regret not playing toward the future, come a year or two from now. May have been a decent chance to acquire some future picks, cap space, etc and build around a new core. He's clinging to a lot of question marks. Long-term, I think it will prove a foolish move.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Well, that's my what I do that in my personal life now, so why would it be any different, because I'm dealing with millions of dollars? Some people would give up their humanity for millions of dollars. I'm not that person. I have taken positions for less money, because I saw a bigger payday and happier situation down the road.

I'm sorry that you don't believe that there are people out there who valve other things more than money.
    I'm saying nobody has ever offered you that kind of money. Don't tell me you would do when you don't even know what you would do.

I'm saying nobody has ever offered you that kind of money. Don't tell me you would do when you don't even know what you would do.
    All my decisions are based on who am I as a person, and this person doesn't value money that much over some things. So, don't tell me what I would or wouldn't do. Bottom line is that if I feel and believe that Houston was the better situation for the long run, then I would have signed with Houston. Outside of the fifth year, what more does Miami offer that's basketball related?

Personally, I think Melo should sign with Chicago, because they offer him best situation for the future.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 07-12-2014 at 12:38 PM.