Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lebron James to Cleveland for real (SI)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lebron James to Cleveland for real (SI)

LOL you guys should see my facebook news feed. People are planning on burning jersies. Also a mural in Miami that took 2 years to make only took 2 seconds to ruin. Someone blacked out LeBrons face haha

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL you guys should see my facebook news feed. People are planning on burning jersies. Also a mural in Miami that took 2 years to make only took 2 seconds to ruin. Someone blacked out LeBrons face haha
    Did they think they were special or something? Did they not see what Lebron did to Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    so I wonder if Miami, who should be in full rebuild mode, would be interested in a sign and trade with Wade for Boozer + and then Chicago gets Melo and Wade. it makes some sense. this is becoming an offseason from hell.
    Why would they trade for Boozer? He is garbage. Straight trash. Rather have Hibbert than Boozer

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still feel the exact same way about Ledouche, F him.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His responsibility goes beyond basketball? What a friggin blowhard. I'm blessed we have Andrew Luck to represent Indy, and not an egomaniac.
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    His responsibility goes beyond basketball? What a friggin blowhard. I'm blessed we have Andrew Luck to represent Indy, and not an egomaniac.
    I know having Peyton around was rough. Always out helping in the community and stuff. He and Lebron should be ashamed.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post

Well athletes are considered role models but like Barkley I agree they aren't.

However I do appreciate that Manning's FA was less frenzied but the NFL would never let it get to this point.

I liked Lebron before and now I respect him even more. He has definitely matured as he has gotten a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Well athletes are considered role models but like Barkley I agree they aren't.

However I do appreciate that Manning's FA was less frenzied but the NFL would never let it get to this point.
    Peyton was 36 years old and coming off neck surgery. They aren't even remotely comparable.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Peyton was 36 years old and coming off neck surgery. They aren't even remotely comparable.
    I meant as far as media coverage. People didn't track wherever Manning was going? Miami? Arizona? Denver? San Francisco? Titans?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Not to mention that he would have still been here but the owner dumped him, of course he went to another team. How is there ANY comparison.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://adage.com/article/media/sport...lusive/294096/

The Story Behind Sports Illustrated's Big LeBron James Exclusive

Magazine's Ad Sellers Didn't Know Before Its Publication

Published: July 11, 2014

Sports Illustrated broke the news about LeBron James returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Lebron James told the world he is returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers in a first person essay that was published on the Sports Illustrated website at 12:13 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday, ending days of intense speculation that had seen Mr. James' website crash and endless erroneous guesses published. Sports Illustrated Senior Writer Lee Jenkins helped Mr. James write the essay, titled "I'm Coming Home," which is poised to be the biggest traffic event in the history of the magazine, according to its top editors.

So how did Sports Illustrated get the big scoop?

"It all goes to Lee Jenkins," said Sports Illustrated Managing Editor Chris Stone. "He made this happen."

Several months ago, Mr. Jenkins mentioned to his editors that he wanted to pursue a big story about the next phase of Mr. James' career. "We told him to go for it," said Mr. Stone. But the magazine didn't "place big money" on it actually coming to fruition, he acknowledged.

Then last Saturday, Mr. Jenkins, who was flying to Cleveland on Friday afternoon when Ad Age spoke with Mr. Stone and Sports Illustrated Editor-in-Chief Paul Fichtenbaum, emailed his editors saying the story was a possibility. Out of caution, he didn't mention Mr. James' name in the email.

"The first thing we asked is whether there were any conditions attached," Mr. Stone said. "There were none."

On Wednesday, Mr. Jenkins traveled to Las Vegas. He met with Mr. James on Thursday night before writing the essay with him. Mr. Jenkins emailed the essay to his editors around mid-morning on Friday. "Everyone reading it was learning the news for the first time," Mr. Stone said.

The magazine, which introduced a top-to-bottom redesign of its website last month, alerted its technology team that a big story would soon publish. That way they'd be prepared for the extra traffic. They weren't told, however, what the big scoop was about.

Only about six Sports Illustrated staffers saw the piece before it went live, according to Mr. Stone, who had worried it would somehow leak.

"I can't tell you how stressful the last 24 hours were," he said. "There were a lot of smart, good reporters pursuing this story."

"We're going to sleep well tonight," Mr. Fichtenbaum added.

Google News is not returning Sports Illustrated's LeBron James scoops among the top research results.

One question now is how well Sports Illustrated can capitalize after today's undoubtedly huge traffic spike passes. Mr. Jenkins now is writing a piece about Mr. James' decision and what it means for Cleveland for the next print issue of Sports Illustrated, which comes out Wednesday, according to Mr. Fichtenbaum.

Editors didn't tell their business-side counterparts about the scoop ahead of time. "The reason we got this story, I think, is because Lebron's team trusted us not to turn it into a circus," Mr. Stone explained. "So to parlay it into a commercial endeavor ahead of time would have been inappropriate."

Unfortunately for Sports Illustrated, Google News is rewarding other publishers for their own rewrites of the magazine's scoop, with search results for "Lebron" turning up stories from local news sites, ESPN and even Slate ahead of Sports Illustrated. A search for "Sports Illustrated Lebron" didn't even turn up the magazine's essay among the top results.

Mr. Fichtenbaum said this is a point of ongoing frustration. "If you want the only story that matters, you go to SI.com," he added.

Sports Illustrated attracted nearly 20 million unique visitors to its desktop and mobile sites in May, a 49% boost compared with May 2013, according to ComScore.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

I meant as far as media coverage. People didn't track wherever Manning was going? Miami? Arizona? Denver? San Francisco? Titans?
    Yes they did, they just didn't track it as closely because no one had any idea if Peyton could even throw a football anymore.

Yes they did, they just didn't track it as closely because no one had any idea if Peyton could even throw a football anymore.
    That and his free agent tour happened in March. Kind of a busy sports month here in America.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

23. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

You misinterpreted what I was saying I'm saying that they did have a lot of coverage over Manning, following his car via helicopter etc but he didn't let it drag out and have FA at a standstill like LeBron did the rest of the NFL was able to move on just fine regardless of where he went.

I appreciate that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Guaran-damn-tee that Wade throws an elbow at Lebron first chance he gets. Make that a Guaran-DAMN-tee if Miami and Cleveland somehow meet in the playoffs and Wade doesn't get him in Game 1.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

You misinterpreted what I was saying I'm saying that they did have a lot of coverage over Manning, following his car via helicopter etc but he didn't let it drag out and have FA at a standstill like LeBron did the rest of the NFL was able to move on just fine regardless of where he went.

I appreciate that.
    It's a lot easier when you have rosters of 53. Like I said there's just no way to compare the two situations.

I appreciate that.
    Manning was released on March 7th and signed on March 20th. 13 days. LeBron became a free agent on July 1st and announced his decision on July 11th. 10 days.

And obviously no player in any sport can have as big of an impact on their sport as a great basketball player.

You're searching for reasons to hate LeBron. If you hate him no matter what just say it. You're entitled to feel that way.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

The big story with Manning was his release from the Colts. That was talked about for weeks and weeks and seemed to be a bigger topic at the Super Bowl than the Pats and Giants. When Manning was released, the entire Mike and Mike episode was about it. Even Fox News and CNN carried the press conference live. THAT was the big story. Him playing for a new team was big too, but as Joe said, no one knew for sure how good he was going to be.

With Lebron, there was just such a huge story here in that he was going back to his hometown that he left. Pretty unique story in the history of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The big story with Manning was his release from the Colts. That was talked about for weeks and weeks and seemed to be a bigger topic at the Super Bowl than the Pats and Giants. When Manning was released, the entire Mike and Mike episode was about it. Even Fox News and CNN carried the press conference live. THAT was the big story. Him playing for a new team was big too, but as Joe said, no one knew for sure how good he was going to be.

With Lebron, there was just such a huge story here in that he was going back to his hometown that he left. Pretty unique story in the history of sports.
    Craziest bit about the Manning story was how ESPN did a White Bronco chase of Manning arriving at the Airport in Denver and getting in an SUV with Horse Teeth Elway.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

LOL, fantastic ending!

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    You're searching for reasons to hate LeBron. If you hate him no matter what just say it. You're entitled to feel that way.

Except I already have but clearly you can't read.

My point was that the NBA was at a standstill FA wise with LeBron. You wouldn't see this in other sports. And when we had something similar(Manning) it didn't come across as obnoxious like it did with LeBron.

He didn't host a Decision special so that's something I guess.