Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Roy Hibbert being shopped "quietly"

Default Re: Rumor: Roy Hibbert being shopped "quietly"

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if they are shopping Hibbert, or just listening to offers. There's only one guy who is untouchable, the other 3 starters (under contract) and the bench could be moved at anytime and I wouldn't be surprised. I just want to make sure we get fair value.

One thing that would concern me is what news like this could do to Roy mentally. I was really hoping this summer he would work on changing a few things. I'm just afraid that trade news could have a negative impact on an already over sensitive player.
    Signing the offer sheet from Portland immediately did not seem to bother him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    being wanted at the max allowable salary by three different teams compared to the team you're the defensive anchor of and have been with your whole career potentially wanting to get rid of you are 180 degrees different in mental impact.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

He never signed the offer sheet.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    In a hypothetical Hibbert trade I meant. Depending on what we take back. It would open up maybe enough for Pau.
    Unless we trade with a Team that is able to absorb most of Hibbert's salary without sending anything back....we'd have to get between $9 to 10 mil UNDER the Salary Cap to do even offer Gasol a contract starting at that price range.

We're not going to dump Hibbert for that much and get back very little.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I seriously doubt this rumor.
    We started the season with historically great defense, then we stopped playing perimeter defense in late December. If we move Roy we will have gone from historically great defense to below average defense in 1 year since almost no one else on the team seemed to care about it after the all star break.
    I can't see Bird moving Roy unless he felt there was a deal out there to make us better overall, which is possible but very unlikely.
    Roy certainly won't be moved if it's just an effort to cut payroll to pay Lance more.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

In fairness, Roy never did sign their offer. Remember, he was stopped at the airport. Or so the story goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    being wanted at the max allowable salary by three different teams compared to the team you're the defensive anchor of and have been with your whole career potentially wanting to get rid of you are 180 degrees different in mental impact.
    Who was the third team?

It is not just about Roy. There are teammates and fans. No he did not sign the offer sheet but he was
    Ready to move to Portland.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Who was the third team?
    never got reported

How do you shop somebody quietly in this day and age of media?

Didn't Bird say he's going to keep the "core" together? Roy would seem part of the "core". Anyways, I don't see us getting any reasonable offers for Roy - he'll most likely be here next year. After next year, he'll have 1 year left on his contract and will be a huge expirer
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    We could always sign Pau. But I'm afraid that by the time we do whatever it is we're gonna do.... he'll have signed with someone. Other centers we could pursue are.......

Henson and Sanders from Milwaukee (which one do the bucks prize more?)
    Dieng in Minnesota (would take a lot to get him I think)
    JaVale McGee in Denver
    Jason Thompson in Sac (He's 6'11 250, that'll work.)
    Andre Blatche in Brooklyn (He's a free agent, and depending on how much we unload salary wise in any Hibbert trade, we could be able to afford Lance back and to add him as well. Another 6'11 dude. Weighted at 260)

West
    PG
    Blatche/Thompson
    Lance
    Dragic

My dream scenario would be Blatche or Thompson. Blatche has great offensive skills and foot work for a center. Thompson is good at crashing the boards and doing work under the rim. I am not up on his offensive game though. How is it?
    If a good deal materializes for Hibbert, good. But suggesting that we just dump him to dump him, especially for any of the above listed players....no thanks.

It is not just about Roy. There are teammates and fans. No he did not sign the offer sheet but he was
    Ready to move to Portland.
    I'm aware. I'm just saying being immensely wanted and being gotten rid of are as far apart as it gets on a guy's psyche.

This is excellent news.

My off season has gone from despondency to a flickering of hope.

The absolute worst thing that could have happened this off season was for Lance to bolt with no other player of close to value to replace him. The second worst thing to happen would have been to sign Lance and just be done with it and go at it again with the same cast.

I have to keep reminding myself from time to time that Bird is not Walsh, after so many decades of that it is hard to do.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

no we can't. the only money we have for FAs is the minimum, we used the MLE on Miles and Rudez. seriously man, at least learn the basics of the cap with all the trades you post.

WHY, when it's just easier to post whatever comes to mind.

AND to think vnzla was banned! SMH

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Would like to hear more about which teams are "quietly" interested in Hibbert.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Didn't Bird say he's going to keep the "core" together? Roy would seem part of the "core". Anyways, I don't see us getting any reasonable offers for Roy - he'll most likely be here next year. After next year, he'll have 1 year left on his contract and will be a huge expirer
    Of course Bird said that, you don't say "I'm gonna trade one of our starters, guess which one!"

I think there is probably truth to the rumor. We heard whispers that Hibbert would welcome a trade. Of course they were quickly called false by his agent, but again you gotta know what to say to the media as a professional, and saying "trade me" looks bad and narrows your would-be list of suitors.

Like Peck I'd be thrilled if they traded him for a decent return.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Would like to hear more about which teams are "quietly" interested in Hibbert.
    Likely Boston. I believe Boston is willing and interested in both Hibbert and Stephenson. Celtic fans ive read are thilled with the idea of a Smart Stephenson backcourt duo and Bradley the combo guard off the bench. Also, Boston wants a rim protector.

They are willing to deal Rondo for one of the two if simply for no other reason both are younger and talented. Doesnt sound like Bird wants to pay Rondo the 100$ Million reportedly he is requesting. Hence a third team is needed.

I would venture to say the principals of a deal are in place between Boston and Indiana, just waiting now for the Melo drama and big 3 to free up the market. Phx for example waiting on bron is halting all trade progress for the league.

I dont care if its Hibbert or Lance gone but I definitely do not want them both back here together next year.

Betting Lance is Birds guy and he is looking to move Hibbert to free up the cap space to get Lance.

if nothing better comes along for Boston and Indiana, maybe they can work out a deal involving Hibbs and (hopefully) Hill for Rondo and Kris Humpries. and we keep Lance.

Rondo Lance backcourt on paper is damn talented.. just dont know how well those two could play together.

Rondo
    Lance
    PG
    West
    Humpheries

we lose defense but gain rebounding at center.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

No way Humphries would start for us, but I do think that teams will start making trades once they have a better idea where Lebron, Melo and Bosh are going to sign.

Sports Logo

Well, I certainly hope that this rumor isn't true.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Shopping him but is anyone interested? I think Roy is asking to be traded because he has given up on this team. Larry is going to have to make up a damn good excuse why Roy fell apart but will be just fine on a new team.
    Last edited by speakout4; 07-06-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    It could be argued that the "core" of this team is Paul George.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    The second worst thing to happen would have been to sign Lance and just be done with it and go at it again with the same cast.I have to keep reminding myself from time to time that Bird is not Walsh, after so many decades of that it is hard to do.
    What you said in bold....true dat and that is exactly what I expected. In red is our new mantra for the summer.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

36. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

This seems a bit crazy to me. I don't mind them listening to what's out there, but does anyone really think much is out there to be heard?

Say whatever you will about Roy but he's been a central piece of a team built on defense, a team that came out of nowhere, with unheralded talent that developed and jelled for an extended period into the best 5-man floor unit in the league, that was the #1 seed last year, that has been the only real threat to the Heat in the East for 2-3 years, that did manage to get to the ECF and win two games even when doubt was at its peak. For the franchise based in Indianapolis, which had ZERO realistic expectation of such a run four years ago, that's amazing success.

If you're a glamour franchise you can afford to screw with that and know you'll get chance after chance to completely redo your team in free agency. Glamour franchises can afford to trade major assets at the nadir of their value, because cap space means they can always just pursue some other major asset in free agency. We can't be so confident.

Even if the idea WAS to clear out cap space and see who wants to come play with Paul George, Third-Team All-NBA Guy, well, we aren't going to be going that route this year. So why trade Roy for lesser pieces now? Do that at the trade deadline (and maybe the trade deadline in 2015-2016), not before the season! It reminds me of OKC shipping Harden out a year early for no real reason.

(disclaimers: I'm aware of my avatar and that Roy Hibbert is no James Harden...)

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jjbjjbjjb For This Useful Post:

I figured he was unmovable as well as 15% trade kicker i thought was Part of his contract?