Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers Offered Lance 44 Million and he turned it Down?

Default Re: Pacers Offered Lance 44 Million and he turned it Down?

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep. As I've already mentioned, it'd be in our best interest to try and move a guy like Hibbert for assets(expirings, draft picks) and do a slight retool if we lose out on Stephenson. We don't want to be the new Hawks where we get a 6th-7th seed every season and compete for nothing.

We absolutely do not want to move Hibbert period if we lose Lance.
    Find a pass first pg that is willing to get the ball into the paint and move Hill to sg.
    At worst we move Scola to a team that is trying to clear cap space with his team option contract for that same pg then sign a backup 4.
    No matter what I don't want to see Hibbert moved this summer especially while his value is low.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Since Hayward is in the news right now it got me to thinking. Who would you rather have on the Pacers. Hayward or Lance. Realize it is a sily discussion because it isn't a a choice we are faced with. But I would rather have Hayward. And that has zero to do with the fact that he went to Butler. But the point is to me anyway - Hayward doesn't have any baggage and Lance does. on and off court baggage. And it looks like Hayward is getting a max deal while lance is getting about 60% of a max deal. I think Lance's issues has cost him close to 40% of a max deal
    that is a close one... I'd have to go with Lance and that is saying A LOT because I go to Butler. I just feel like Lance fits the Pacers better and sure he is a knucklehead but he is our knucklehead

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Since Hayward is in the news right now it got me to thinking. Who would you rather have on the Pacers. Hayward or Lance. Realize it is a sily discussion because it isn't a a choice we are faced with. But I would rather have Hayward. And that has zero to do with the fact that he went to Butler. But the point is to me anyway - Hayward doesn't have any baggage and Lance does. on and off court baggage. And it looks like Hayward is getting a max deal while lance is getting about 60% of a max deal. I think Lance's issues has cost him close to 40% of a max deal

I'll be in the minority, but I'd rather have Hayward.... but not at a max deal as he's not a max player at this point in his career.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We're somewhere in lala land when people are saying that without Lance we're a horrible team. Sucks that we're paying that one guy in the supermax range because he, you know, made multiple all-NBA teams and was an All-Star starter. What was his name again? Should have given that money to Lance.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've thought a lot about this. I love GH, but I think Lance has more potential. I wouldn't mind having Hayward, and I get the unpredictability and the baggage part, but I thing Lance and PG could have a bright future as dynamic one-two punch.

It's very close though.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    If we lose Lance, I absolutely want to keep Roy for one reason. If Lance played any part in Roy 'a struggles, we could see a different Roy Hibbert next season.

I know I could be dreaming, but it's just an idea.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    We're somewhere in lala land when people are saying that without Lance we're a horrible team. Sucks that we're paying that one guy in the supermax range because he, you know, made multiple all-NBA teams and was an All-Star starter. What was his name again? Should have given that money to Lance.
    not once has anyone said we will be a horrible team without Lance... We will be by far a significantly worse team and while a lot of teams in the East are getting stronger losing Lance would would put us in a deep hole

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I'm not as crazy on Lance as others, especially 5 years...44 million dollars. That's just too long of a deal. Pacers need to move on and use the MLE to find a replacement, the team did all it could, Lance decided that wasn't enough...
    I was all for keeping Lance at the right price but 5/44 is too much unless it comes with a team option after year 2 or 3.
    I actually hope he turns it down. He's too much of a risk at that price. I'd rather see us retool with the MLE and bi annual.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    I've thought a lot about this. I love GH, but I think Lance has more potential. I wouldn't mind having Hayward, and I get the unpredictability and the baggage part, but I thing Lance and PG could have a bright future as dynamic one-two punch.

It's very close though.
    Could is the key word in your post. Yes they could, or they could tear this team apart and cause it to be torn apart out of necessity

If we lose Lance, I absolutely want to keep Roy for one reason. If Lance played any part in Roy 'a struggles, we could see a different Roy Hibbert next season.

Lance doesn't partake in a 7'2" center missing practically layups countless times

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Could is the key word in your post. Yes they could, or they could tear this team apart and cause it to be torn apart out of necessity
    Amen. Not even sure Lance and PG can coexist going forward.

Who said we were horrible? We're saying we're not a title contender, and we're not without him....I'm not sure if we get out of the 1st or 2nd round without him honestly.....

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timid For This Useful Post:

well, i think the offer was more than fair. if he thinks getting an extra million a year is worth going to a team that will struggle every night against everyone, then so be it.

i think roy is his own worst enemy. even if lance is gone, roy will still be roy with all of his confidence issues and unreliability. i don't think this will ever change.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Guys, that is just what BillS seems to do recently. He takes a comment that he disagrees with and blows it all out of proportion in an effort to discredit the OP. I think he hopes it raises his own level somehow, but I don't personally care for it.
    Last edited by Tom White; 07-02-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    not once has anyone said we will be a horrible team without Lance... We will be by far a significantly worse team and while a lot of teams in the East are getting stronger losing Lance would would put us in a deep hole
    This team was closer to making the NBA finals with Lance playing a glue-guy role. This team was closer to making the NBA finals with Lance not putting up nearly the same kind of numbers as he did last season. We were closer to making the NBA finals when Lance was playing a role that is extremely replaceable. Hill put up better numbers, with less usage, when he was playing the second wing scorer role. But yes we will be significantly worse without Lance.

Depending on who we replace Lance with we may be worse, or we may be better. Unless Hibbert's falling of the face of the Earth continues (which I doubt) we won't be significantly worse. The only two players we can lose and be significantly worse by losing are Hibbert (by losing I do include falling off the face of the Earth) and George. Lance, Hill, and West you can replace. Lance you can replace with Hill. Hill you can replace with Lance. West, not sure who you would replace him with off the top of my head, but you can (and probably for cheaper than $12 million).

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by timid View Post
    Who said we were horrible? We're saying we're not a title contender, and we're not without him....I'm not sure if we get out of the 1st or 2nd round without him honestly.....
    Exactly. Putting words into peoples' mouth doesn't make for a good argument. No one said that. We aren't contenders without him. We barely made it out of the first round with him. I don't see how that's not a reasonable conclusion to reach.
    Dear P_George,
    You have received an infraction at Pacers Digest.

Reason: Unacceptable Comment and/or Content

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

Ron Herbert or something?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    well, i think the offer was more than fair. if he thinks getting an extra million a year is worth going to a team that will struggle every night against everyone, then so be it.
    Which is exactly what happened to Pierre Garcon leaving Indianapolis for a million more per year to go to Washington. Could have stayed in the city that gave you the best opportunity, with a better quarterback and been on a consistent winner (outside of that flukey 2012 Redskins season).

He did what he thought what was best, but it's still sour grapes for me. And I'll probably be a baby about it if Lance takes a slightly bigger deal elsewhere.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanPelley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think too many people around here have a problem with the PG contract. He is a great player and that had to be done. It's the $34.8 million that we owe to West/Hibbert/Hill next year (and about $36 mil the year after if Hibbs doesn't opt out) that is the true nuisance here. Lance might very well be better than all three of those players next season. I get the Hibbert contract, but it seems that we pretty much bid against ourselves with West and especially Hill.

Paying Chris Copeland $3.1 mil for his courtside seat and $4 million to Mahinmi to be incompetent at offense is pretty annoying too when we're talking about these fine LT lines.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    Exactly. Putting words into peoples' mouth doesn't make for a good argument. No one said that. We aren't contenders without him. We barely made it out of the first round with him. I don't see how that's not a reasonable conclusion to reach.
    Cause if you watched the Pacers the last two seasons you should be able to realize there was a correlation between how Hibbert played, and how the Pacers played. While there was little to no correlation with Lance. Lance's affect on winning or losing was minimal compared to Hibbert or Paul. Compared to those two he isn't all that important to this team winning.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With all fairness to Lance:

George Hill makes $8 million and now C.J. Miles makes $4.5 million.

Is Lance superior to Hill? Yes.
    Is Lance twice the player of C.J. Miles. Yes and Yes.

Hill and Hibbert have a bad contract. With the exception that Roy is a rare commodity, I would say that there is a baseline that has been established by Hill. He should have received a $6 million dollar contract.
    Last edited by 1984; 07-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Find a pass first pg that is willing to get the ball into the paint and move Hill to sg.
    At worst we move Scola to a team that is trying to clear cap space with his team option contract for that same pg then sign a backup 4.
    No matter what I don't want to see Hibbert moved this summer especially while his value is low.
    while i want roy gone, i also don't want him moved while his value is at it's absolute lowest. it will go back up again soon enough regardless of how he plays this upcoming season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This team was closer to making the NBA finals with Lance playing a glue-guy role. This team was closer to making the NBA finals with Lance not putting up nearly the same kind of numbers as he did last season. We were closer to making the NBA finals when Lance was playing a role that is extremely replaceable. Hill put up better numbers, with less usage, when he was playing the second wing scorer role. But yes we will be significantly worse without Lance.
    We were one game closer to making the NBA Finals in 2013 because Roy Hibbet was playing like Hakeem Olajuwon while Dwyane Wade was a washed up corpse. The tables were turned in 2014 when Hibbert disappeared like a mouse fart in a hurricane and Dwyane Wade played more like his old self. Lance having a more enhanced role was not anywhere near why this team wasn't as good as last year's team that played Miami.

The best this team has ever looked over the last few years was when they were 33-7 and genuinely considered to the best team in the league. And that was with Lance playing like an all-star. Lance's enhanced play added a new element to the team. In the second half of the season, he definitely let too much hype get to his head, but the main reason the team wasn't the same is because Hibbert completely collapsed.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-02-2014 at 03:49 PM.

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Cause if you watched the Pacers the last two seasons you should be able to realize there was a correlation between how Hibbert played, and how the Pacers played. While there was little to no correlation with Lance. Lance's affect on winning or losing was minimal compared to Hibbert or Paul. Compared to those two he isn't all that important to this team winning.
    And Lance has a lot of natural talent and you're banking on him improving and playing better in the team concept. I'd say in the Playoffs this season he was more impactful then any other Pacer. Yes, we lost, but even if Roy played well we would lose to Miami. The point is, we're losing out on a guy who is still young and improving and basically getting nothing in exchange. I don't see how you can see this roster the way it's constructed and say, "Yep, they're real contenders."
    Dear P_George,
    You have received an infraction at Pacers Digest.

Reason: Unacceptable Comment and/or Content

42. The Following User Says Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post: