Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers Offered Lance 44 Million and he turned it Down?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Offered Lance 44 Million and he turned it Down?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.
    Let me rephrase that. Like Shade, I waver on it.

But there is a big part of me that feels Lance moving on has a chance to end up like a "Rudy Gay leaving Memphis" type of deal. Major loss in talent, but it allowed the team to stick with an identity and made the team play with a cohesion to supplement the loss in said talent.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 07-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Huh ?? Didn't think there was a cap on an UFA. Other than the MAX numbers .........
    I thought you could only offer the max for one player in the new CBA, which in our case is PG.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I thought you could only offer the max for one player in the new CBA, which in our case is PG.
    that's only on rookie scale extensions. Lance has no contract, hence no extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Despite what their beat guy says, Charlotte's the one that worries me. They have no disillusions about getting Melo or Lebron or whoever, they can focus solely on Lance and get it done immediately.
    But, why?

Kemba Walker - MKG - Lance Stephenson is horrendous floor spacing. Gerald Henderson, Ridnour, and Chris Douglas-Roberts behind them, neither is a really good shooter. So, basically you have a team of average - bad shooters. Wouldn't make sense. I could see them putting together a big bid for Monroe, Parsons or another top notch RFA like Bledsoe. I don't think Stephenson is what they need.
    Dear P_George,
    You have received an infraction at Pacers Digest.

Reason: Unacceptable Comment and/or Content

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't really want Lance back?
    I'm not as crazy on Lance as others, especially 5 years...44 million dollars. That's just too long of a deal. Pacers need to move on and use the MLE to find a replacement, the team did all it could, Lance decided that wasn't enough...
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I thought it was a fair deal. Just means that another team has offered quite a bit more, he wants the Pacers to match.

I can't be mad at that.

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    But, why?

Kemba Walker - MKG - Lance Stephenson is horrendous floor spacing. Gerald Henderson, Ridnour, and Chris Douglas-Roberts behind them, neither is a really good shooter. So, basically you have a team of average - bad shooters. Wouldn't make sense. I could see them putting together a big bid for Monroe, Parsons or another top notch RFA like Bledsoe. I don't think Stephenson is what they need.
    They've already expressed interest. They're the BobHornets. Poorly constructed rosters is why they have 2 winning seasons in their history.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

We lose Lance who still has tons of room to improve then we can kiss any chance of legitimately challenging for a title goodbye fot the coming years IMHO.

I think without Lance our backcourt is pretty much beyond awfull. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    We lose Lance who still has tons of room to improve then we can kiss any chance of legitimately challenging for a title goodbye IMHO.
    Yep. As I've already mentioned, it'd be in our best interest to try and move a guy like Hibbert for assets(expirings, draft picks) and do a slight retool if we lose out on Stephenson. We don't want to be the new Hawks where we get a 6th-7th seed every season and compete for nothing.
    Dear P_George,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't really want Lance back?
    Depends on who we get as a replacement. I'm on the fence. I think he was a BIG part of the chemistry problem and I don't know about maturing with age. I could see Lance getting crazier the more prominent he gets.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I'm not as crazy on Lance as others, especially 5 years...44 million dollars. That's just too long of a deal. Pacers need to move on and use the MLE to find a replacement, the team did all it could, Lance decided that wasn't enough...
    I actually think that is the best way to go with Lance, long deal with team options and low guaranteed money... If he develops more than you have a bargain, if not then the deal is not too bad, and if he falls off or gets in trouble you dump him...sounds good to me.
    Why so SERIOUS

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yep. As I've already mentioned, it'd be in our best interest to try and move a guy like Hibbert for assets(expirings, draft picks) and do a slight retool if we lose out on Stephenson. We don't want to be the new Hawks where we get a 6th-7th seed every season and compete for nothing.
    Yeah, having a decent roster, but with certainty of never competing for the title is not something I could either support or appreciate, but different people different opinions.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Avery Bradley just got $8M a year. Gordon Hayward is allegedly going to get a ridiculous offer (much more than what the Pacers are offering Lance) from the Cavs or someone else. So it's not surprising to see Lance turn this deal down.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

But there is a big part of me that feels Lance moving on has a chance to end up like a "Rudy Gay leaving Memphis" type of deal. Major loss in talent, but it allowed the team to stick with an identity and made the team play with a cohesion to supplement the loss in said talent.
    Comparing Lance to Gay is not an Apples to Apples comparison. Gay is only a scorer. Lance contributes many more ways than scoring
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, I definitely want Lance to stay with the team. He is extremely fun to watch and when he is playing with his head on straight he can be one of the most dynamic players in the entire league.

With that being said, his 'antics' and personality DO seem to clash and potentially cause some rifts off and even on the court at times. As fans, we can't be 100% sure if he is truly the reason for those rifts or not. But Larry knows a heck of a lot better than we do.

So if we manage to re-sign him, I'll be happy. If he walks, I'll definitely be sad but I won't be furious or anything because I can read between the lines too. Lance is a great player, but even with all the maturing he has done, he still may not be mature enough to help us get to the next level.

We shall see...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Comparing Lance to Gay is not an Apples to Apples comparison. Gay is only a scorer. Lance contributes many more ways than scoring
    Gay is a better scorer, Lance is a better distributor - I get it. Maybe not apples to apples in terms of skills, but it's along the same lines. The Grizzlies were at their best playing in the half court, pounding the ball inside, and utilizing ball movement. They were at their best when they could wear teams out. Gay didn't fit because he was a ISO type of player who's athleticism translates better within an up-tempo type of team. Those same traits could be made for the Pacers and Lance.

Just because their skill-sets are different doesn't change the premise of the idea. Loss in talent, gain in chemistry/cohesion/identity.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 07-02-2014 at 02:44 PM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Avery Bradley just got $8M a year. Gordon Hayward is allegedly going to get a ridiculous offer (much more than what the Pacers are offering Lance) from the Cavs or someone else. So it's not surprising to see Lance turn this deal down.
    Teams have to he sure he won't mess up the team chemistry, and for that reason he is probably getting contracts that reflect that uncertainty...
    Why so SERIOUS

I was a fan of Memphis and when Gay got injured that year, the Grizz didn't miss a beat.

If Stephenson doesn't re-sign, I wouldn't be against some trades and retooling. I feel the Pacers would still be a playoff team just not competitive for a championship for a couple of years.

I'll throw this in: If Simon was "I really want a CHAMPIONSHIP" he'd go over the LT. My guess is he feels this past season was his best shot, and refuses to go over the LT for another crack at Miami and a championship. Fielding a good playoff team and making money is just fine. I don't agree, but I sorta understand.

Gay is a better scorer, Lance is a better distributor - I get it. Maybe not apples to apples in terms of skills, but it's along the same lines. The Grizzlies were at their best playing in the half court, pounding the ball inside, and utilizing ball movement. They were at their best when they could wear teams out. Gay didn't fit because he was a ISO type of player who's athleticism translates better within an up-tempo type of team. Those same traits could be made for the Pacers and Lance.

Just because their skill-sets are different doesn't change the premise of the idea. Loss in talent, gain in chemistry/cohesion/identity.
    Lance is a 2 way player. The second best permitter defender on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Lance is good on the ball. Off the ball he tends to fall asleep and lose his man off screens. As Dan Dakich says, Lance lacks in doing the little things that help win games and he really needs to improve on that.
    Dear P_George,

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Bradley Beal and D-Wade exposed him during the playoffs. (Lebron scored on him easily after the ear-blowing incident. But he doesn't count) But those good players aside, Lance CAN be a darn good on the ball defender. He can also be a liability at times and really struggles off the ball as he is often rebound hunting under the basket.

I'm not comparing Gay and Lance, I'm comparing the effect each player has/had on the rest of the team and their chemistry/cohesion.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Yeah, the 5 years worries me a lot.
    Why? He's ;locked up for his prime years. Id MUCH rather that then a 3 year deal.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can always hope that whoever Lance decides to sign with may offer a sign-trade deal if they want 5th year, like with Bobcats can hope for MKG or Henderson, Hawks have some wings, there's possibilities in that regard.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

But, why?

I have to agree. MKG isn't much. Parsons would be the player I'd want. Stephenson has more upside, but he also has more possible downside. Hornets need a SF and that's Parsons. The Hornets drafted bigs and traded PG Napier to Miami. They need a SF...Parsons. Plus he has playoff experience.

Someone refresh me on what Charlotte got back when they traded Napier to Miami.

Since Hayward is in the news right now it got me to thinking. Who would you rather have on the Pacers? Hayward or Lance? Realize it is a silly discussion because it isn't a a choice we are faced with. But I would rather have Hayward. And that has zero to do with the fact that he went to Butler. But the point is to me anyway - Hayward doesn't have any baggage and Lance does. On and off court baggage. And it looks like Hayward is getting a max deal while Lance is getting about 60% of a max deal. I think Lance's issues has cost him close to 40% of a max deal. I wonder if he fully realizes that.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-02-2014 at 03:08 PM.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: