Thread: Pretty Interesting Read

Default Pretty Interesting Read

I didn't realize that we were this physical. It seems like once we figure out how a team is beating us we are able to make successful adjustments. In this case, the Jazz were quicker and defending much better.

Once we started pounding it inside it was over for them. They also seem to have a lot of repect for us.

Also I find it cool that we still play at Market Square Arena.

http://www2.sltrib.com/jazz/Main/Sto...004&NUM=141654

INDIANAPOLIS -- Andrei Kirilenko's face was nicked and scuffed Sunday, blood oozing from a half-dozen tiny cuts as though he had just staggered through 12 rounds with the welterweight champ.
    Figures. He and the Jazz spent the afternoon slugging it out with the Pacers for three quarters, each team landing blow after blow in a battle that looked dead even into the final round. But the Jazz turned their heads for just a moment, and pow! -- the Pacers knocked them out.
    The judges' scorecard in Market Square Arena read 94-80, but the Jazz's fight -- maybe kickboxing would be more appropriate, considering the shot Raja Bell took from Reggie Miller -- with the Eastern Conference leaders was a lot closer than that. Neither team held a lead bigger than six points until the fourth quarter of the foul-filled contest, but the Jazz's nerve finally wavered.
    "We put our heads down for a minute, and that's all it took," said Bell, who played a season-high 40 minutes and scored 21 points. "We were right there for three quarters."
    They were, even though they weren't sinking many shots. For the fifth consecutive game, the Jazz made fewer than 40 percent of their shots, and the total included nine missed layups. "That's like 'our' problem now," said Kirilenko, who led the Jazz with 22 points.
    "It kills us," agreed coach Jerry Sloan. "I guess we're going to have to do layup coaching. Or lay-down coaching."
    Not a bad idea, since "lay down" is what the Jazz did once Indiana, seemingly annoyed at having to work so hard on a weekend, cranked up the pressure near the end of the third quarter.
    The Jazz led 66-62 with 1:30 to play in the third, but they made only one basket, a layup by Jarron Collins, over the next 7 1/2 minutes. Indiana's 17-2 run included 11 free throws, just a sample of the 50 they took during the day, and a good reflection of how aggressive the Pacers were about attacking the basket.
    "They were posting up three different guys at times," Bell said, especially Jermaine O'Neal, who led Indiana with 22 points, and All Harrington, who scored 14. "When a team is punishing you and being aggressive, that's when you've got to return the favor. I don't think we necessarily did that, and that was the game right there."
    It was, especially since when the Pacers took over, the Jazz shied away from shooting. Shooters would get open but pass instead, until the shot clock forced worse shots on them.
    Sloan pleaded with Kirilenko and Sasha Pavlovic to recognize good shots, but finally he grew so frustrated, he yanked point guard Carlos Arroyo just 30 seconds after putting him back in the game when Arroyo popped open for a three-pointer, but passed instead.
    "We play right into their hands because we don't judge our time on the clock well enough," Sloan said. "Our guys get a little panicky, a little scattered. Good teams have the ability to take advantage of those situations, and they've got some veteran guys."
    That might have been the biggest difference Sunday, and it's a formula the Jazz routinely called upon in years past: play even with a lesser team for a while, then put them away with precision play at the end. The Pacers, running away with the East's No. 1 seed, knew when to turn it on, "and right then, our execution went away for little while," Kirilenko said. "We were ahead, then boom -- they were up by 10. And it's pretty hard to come back."
    Especially since the Pacers relentlessly fed O'Neal in the pivot. The all-star forward took 15 free throws, making 13, and keyed a stretch in which 18 of 24 Indiana points came at the line. The Jazz took 31 free throws and lost Jarron Collins and Raul Lopez to fouls, but couldn't bring themselves to complain about the discrepancy.
    "When you pound it inside and the refs see you being aggressive in there, they reward you for that," Bell said.
    Strangely, the biggest complaint about officiating came from Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, who was so livid over an offensive foul called on Miller -- when Miller twice appeared to kick Bell in the groin -- he stormed the court and earned an ejection.
    He missed an impressive fourth-quarter flurry by his team, over the game-but-outgunned Jazz, who lost for the fourth time in five games (and eighth time in 11), but appear recovered from their post-all-star hangover.
    "They are pretty good at post-up game. Everyone posts up and that's pretty hard to guard," said Kirilenko, daubing at his cuts. "That's why they lead the East."

Default Re: Pretty Interesting Read

Strangely, the biggest complaint about officiating came from Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, who was so livid over an offensive foul called on Miller -- when Miller twice appeared to kick Bell in the groin -- he stormed the court and earned an ejection.
    If I hadn't seen the game, and this was all I had to go by, I would have imagined it much differently than it actually looked. They make it sound like Reggie's shoes were busting his balls.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is the article from Salt Lake's leading newspaper...The Deseret-News

Jazz can't keep pace

Experienced Indiana handles Utah kiddie corps
    By Tim Buckley
    Deseret Morning News

INDIANAPOLIS — Utah winning this one might have been nearly akin to tiny Milan beating Muncie Central in the 1954 Indiana high school state-championship game, inspiring a movie with which you are probably familiar.

Utah Jazz center Greg Ostertag snares rebound despite efforts of Indiana's Scot Pollard, left, and Anthony Johnson in Sunday's game.

Darron Cummings, Associated Press
    Fifty years after that historic upset, however, Hoosiers II — NBA-style — was not to be.
    Indiana instead leaned on its veteran savvy Sunday to beat the Jazz 94-80 at Conseco Fieldhouse, using a 9-0 run in the fourth quarter and 21 points from All-Star power forward Jermaine O'Neal to do away with a kiddie-corps team that already this season has pulled off its fair share of unexpected victories.
    "I'm not really sure that we knew what we were doing," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, whose 27-30 club ended a four-game Eastern road swing 1-3.
    But Indiana — at 41-15, leaders of the league's Eastern Conference and the NBA's first team to 41 wins this season — did act as if it had a clue or two.
    "You're talking about veteran players that know how to make plays, and know how to continue to execute," Sloan said of those from a franchise that still starts 38-year-old Reggie Miller.
    "When we made a mistake," he added, "we held our heads down and felt sorry for ourselves."
    Sloan was particularly miffed about a sequence late in the third quarter, when the Jazz — hanging with Indiana all the way until then — dropped their guard.
    With Utah up 66-65 and 8.9 seconds to go in the period, starting point guard Carlos Arroyo drove the lane and scooped a layup attempt that failed to fall.
    It was just one of numerous layups Utah would not convert — yet again.
    "It kills us," Sloan said of the Jazz's frequent blown gimmies. "I guess we're gonna have to do some layup coaching," he added. "Or laydown coaching."
    Yet it was what Utah did after Arroyo's miss — or did not do, as was the case — that really ratcheted Sloan's ire.
    Rather than fight for the rebound and hustle back on defense, the Jazz allowed O'Neal to yank down the board and ignite a long-outlet fastbreak that ended with Scot Pollard feeding Jonathan Bender for a slam dunk with less than a second left.
    "I think my mistakes in the third quarter hurt us," Arroyo said.
    "There at the end of the quarter I think I may have gotten hit," he added, "but we didn't get the call, and we didn't get back on defense, and they got (the) layup."
    Monster jam, actually.
    Now up 67-66, the Pacers led the rest of the way.
    "We played with them," Sloan said, "a little bit there for three quarters."
    Or was it the Pacers just playin' with the Jazz?
    "We felt," said Pollard, the Murray native, "like we had to get out there, play hard, play together and show that we're the best in the East."
    That the Pacers did.
    Indiana's separation started when Pollard hooked in a 3-footer with 8:13 remaining.
    He was fouled on the play by Jazz backup point Raul Lopez, and — after a time-out — hit the free throw that followed to spur Indiana's run.
    The Pacers proceeded to take control of the inside on both ends, going hard to the basket to draw several of the 35 fouls that resulted in their whopping 50 free-throw attempts while also pushing the much-meeker Jazz well out on the perimeter.
    "They were pounding it inside on us and (going) to the free-throw line," Jazz swingman Raja Bell said. "That can swing the game, and it did.
    "When a team is punishing you and being aggressive, that's when you have to return the favor," Bell added. "And I don't think we necessarily did that."
    The Jazz instead missed four jumpers during Indiana's decisive run, helping to put the Pacers up 79-68 and assure that the rout was on.
    "We put our heads down, for a minute," Bell said.
    "We stopped execution a little bit — for like five minutes," added Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko, whose 22 points were a game-high. "And they just went like 'boom' — minus 10 points, and it's hard to get it back."
    Sunday, the Jazz never did.
    "Good teams have that ability," Sloan said of the way Indiana blew open what for three-plus quarters had been a close game.
    "They have the ability to go out and dominate you in that situation," he added. "Our guys get a little panicky and a little scattered."
    In Indiana, it's the difference between being Milan and Muncie Central.
    Except on one fabled day.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I hadn't seen the game, and this was all I had to go by, I would have imagined it much differently than it actually looked. They make it sound like Reggie's shoes were busting his balls.
    Well, the one replay I saw did look that way. Reggies straight leg came up and thru Raja's legs and the next thing you saw was RB on the floor holding his nugs.
    hmmm RB..raja...coincidence? Yeah and he has NO place being thought of in the same thought baloon with Raaaja Brown.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Well Raja said himself that it LOOKED a lot worse than it was. In other words he did a pretty good acting job to let the refs know what happened.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, the one replay I saw did look that way. Reggies straight leg came up and thru Raja's legs and the next thing you saw was RB on the floor holding his nugs.
    hmmm RB..raja...coincidence? Yeah and he has NO place being thought of in the same thought baloon with Raaaja Brown.
    Maybe it was a little revenge for what Bell did to Artest in Dallas last year...Maybe, Reggie was trying to bait Raja into something, like how Raja baited Artest last year in Dallas... Just a thought!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I still snicker sometimes when I read accounts about the Pacers' "savvy and experience" seeing as how we are one of the younger teams in the league.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Maybe it was a little revenge for what Bell did to Artest in Dallas last year...Maybe, Reggie was trying to bait Raja into something, like how Raja baited Artest last year in Dallas... Just a thought!

No, I think Raja was just up in Reggies mug and Reg couldn't deal with it.

Reggie hasn't really had to deal with anyone defending him hard much this year so when they do, and do it well, it pisses him off I'm sure.

Especially a 3rd year player

I still snicker sometimes when I read accounts about the Pacers' "savvy and experience" seeing as how we are one of the younger teams in the league.

You make a great point, I've noticed almost after every game the opposing coach and or players say how '"veteran" the Pacers are.

It speaks to the style the Pacers play. Pacers play like a team that has savvy and experience. They are disciplined and under control, unlike in years past and I credit the coaching as much as anything