Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kings trade Webber to 76ers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kings trade Weber to 76ers

Both Philly and Sacramento have games tomorrow on TNT. I wonder if their new players will be able to play.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

these kinda trades sure make you think there is something else going on... smells fishy. Do the maloofs own part of the NBA or just the Kings? Is there some kinda wierd problem with Webber that no one knows about? WTF are the Kings thinking.. I'm interested on any spin or possible benefits anyone sees for the Kings in this trade. I mean good lord.. none of those guys contracts are even expiring. They didn't even get a freakin draft pick!!

Also... dang, if they are gonna trade Webber for those guys, why couldnt DonnieW/LB make some kinda deal?

and Kstat... I thought that line by AL was hilarious too! harhahrhar!

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the Sixers are also going to get Spree from the Wolves as well, even if it costs them Willie Green. That would be a tough line-up for the rest of the season.

Iverson
    Sprewell
    Igodala
    Webber
    Dalembert/Jackson

Man, their big three would all have some baggage of some sort.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My thoughts on this trade is that it's very even. The Sixers get the punch to win the division, and possibly make noise in the playoffs, and the Kings get a solid PF in Thomas, and like Kstat said, Williamson will be great for them off the bench, although I'm surprised they traded Barnes.

I too think the trade is about even.

The Sixers are now very thin at the power spots. Webber is an injury waiting to happen. They have 12th man Josh Davis & now Michael Bradley at the 4, Dalembert & Marc Jackson at 5.

Thats a rotation of Webber, Dalembert & Jackson.

I think they may have lost a little toughness up front.

The Kings front line just became very solid. Skinner will backup Miller & fit in a lot better than he did with Phily. Maybe not as well as he fared with the Bucks last season but Skinner is a solid backup for them.

Thomas should be the starting 4 with Songiala off the bench, Stojakovic & Williamson at 3.

The Kings gave up the better player but I think they came out ahead in the deal.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO, any trade that dumps Weber is a good trade. Fool, doesn't even know when not to call time out. (yeah yeah I know)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I do to!

Peja/Williamson at the 3. Talk about a change of pace.

As servicable as Kenny Thomas and Williamson are they don't scare anyone. This leaves Sac with Miller, Skinner, and Ostertag at the 5 and Kenny Thomas and Songaila at the 4. I guess thats not terrible (its certainly not scary).

If this leads to Peja exploding again then I suppose the Kings are as good if not possibly better, at least for the regular season. I don't know if that big man rotation will carry you anywhere meaningful in the playoffs though (they look like an East team now). Good to get out of Webbers' max deal though.

If the Sixers use Webber right they may turn into the best offense in the EC.

You take the ball out of AI's hands and use Webber to set the offense in the high post. With shooters like Korver and Iggy to spot up outside and a guy who can break down defenses like Iverson, they can use rub-offs and screens to get an open shot EVERY posession.

But AI has to buy into it. Hurts their D some too but potentially they could be scary - an actual legit Atlantic conf team that might make getting the 6 seed a little less attractive.

I guess Webber has to buy into it too and settle for fewer shots and around 15-18 ppg but he's at the point in his career where he should be OK with that.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

3ptmiller

Yes!! Now can Peja Stojakovic be the scoring leader in the NBA, like last season when Webber was out Peja averaged 27 ppg remember? And today he is even better so i guess that would be 30 ppg maybe because now he doesnt have a Scoring stealer (webber) in the team anymore

Mood

I'm interested in dipperdunk's reaction.

One thing seems certain. For the short term Philly will be a lot better and that sixth seed just lost some of its glamor. Philly will win the Atlantic. I'd also expect Billy King to do something productive with G Rob's contract, if he is going to go for broke and throw money to the wind.

ReggieMiller8325

well looks like a early playoff sweep at philly in playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Webber is an older player on a max contract with a knee that hasn't lasted a full season in a long time.....

despite his numbers, I dont think he had much value.
    Bum knee or not, those are some numbers. I mean, this year he's still at 21 & 9.7. Those are star numbers. If he was younger, he would be considered the next big thing. Even now, there's only one Pacer I wouldn't trade for him. This is the most lopsided trade since the Indy/Chicago trade. Yuck.

sweabs

It really all depends on how AI and C-Webb work together. My feeling is AI would be great at penetrating, drawing in the defenders and kicking it out to Webber for that high elbow shot that he makes all day.

Another possibility is, as someone may have already mentioned, have Webber work near the top setting screens and passing it to one of their many shooters who can curl around him...much like they did in Sacramento.

Philly got a lot better...

I just dont think Webber is as good anymore as he used to be. I don't know how it will work in Philly, but I still do not think they are contenders in the east. Miami and Detroit will roll all over them. And I would like to think a healthy Pacers team could beat them easily too. They lost a LOT of toughness
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm only really concerned with what this does for the eastern conference and I think you guys are way under-rating the potential that now exists in Philly. ....But then several people did that when Rasheed went to Detroit last year.

This is part of why standing pat sucks and also why you take your shot when you have the chance. Teams around you are not standing still. They want to move up themselves.

There's never really a time any team is 'good enough' until you are being handed the crown.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

This is the same kind of move Detroit made last year and I bet we get a ton of people saying this move means nothing....just like they did with Detroit.

I think every team is going towards the model in Miami with Shaq and Flash. Now Philly has their version, just as we do with Tinsley and Jermaine. (Which is, of course, moleled after the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.)

Everyone is gonna point out bench depth, but look at us. We've been crowing about bench depth for years and it's gotten us...what??

An extremely short rotation, two dominant players and crossed fingers seems to be the model right now for winning a title.

What people need to factor in is that Iguodala is extremely multi-facted and is really living up to the next Scottie Pippen hype. Korver is a legit three point threat who can do more than just shoot. They have what I think championship teams need, in Josh Davis, an X-factor player who can make an impact in short minutes. They've still got shot blockers....this trade is a LOT bigger than I think a lot of people realize. It's big because now Philly has a team of players whose skills compliment each other and just like our Artest/Tinsley/Jermaine trio, they've got the potential for an extremely simpatico team. Also, they have two solid vets in Ollie and Aaron McKie to back up Iverson at PG. Gotta have solid vets at the helm.

If Webber can keep it together just ONE year, healthwise, I think this could be huge. Yeah, he has a history of injury, BUT I look at how great Vince Carter and Antonio McDyess are doing and I have to think it's worth it, especially given the cost.

Corliis is a nice, solid guy. So is Kenny. I also like Skinner.....but guys like that are more than a dime a dozen in the big picture.

Okay, like a lot of people, I'm sure, will be asking, how is it WE couldn't, didn't swing a trade like that.

"I don't anticipate anything," Bird said before the Pacers met Miami at Conseco Fieldhouse. "You never know, but we're not looking to move our players."

Not looking to move our players?? I don't think that's the attitude to take. It's not that you look to move players as much as trying to see what you can get. I don't beleieve you base trades on getting rid of someone. I think it's more using value to get higher value.

Man, this is going to EAT at me. Look at the contracts of the guys Sacramento took on. Kenny Thomas has a 50 mill dollar contract, Skinner 20 million, Corliss...peanuts. But on top of it, Skinner and Thomas' contracts don't expire till 2008!!

We could have offered them essentially the same deal, but they could clear the guys off their books in an extremely short time and be a MAJOR player in the free agent market/free agent arena in summer 2006.

How many of you could see us making the same deal with Austin and his 50 mill contract which expires this year (I think) with an option, giving them cap room, Pollard, 30 mill, which expires in 2006 and James Jones, or some such low cost player??

Say what you will about Webber, and I know neither he nor JO like playing C, but if we could work a rotation like the Spurs had with Duncan/Admiral/Rose when they won a title, but with us, it'd be Jo/Webber/Harrison....yikes!!

Can you imagine us making this trade in Reggie's final year and the potential impact it would have for the organization, especially, if by some fluke we'd get Ron back for the playoffs?

I kjnow such a trade isn't Donnie's style by any stretch of the imagination. Slow and steady, reward who you've got, wait and see is the course of this ship, but still....

Like bball said, "This is part of why standing pat sucks and also why you take your shot when you have the chance. Teams around you are not standing still. They want to move up themselves." That's been my fundamental gripe about this organization.

This trade is going to eat at me.

Sports Logo

Webber would certainly improve our chances this year but down the road it would hurt us. I dont mind them not making this deal.

Of course if the price was Cro and Bender I would do it in a heartbeat.

BTW Cro has two years after this one.

My first thought: "Damn, Philly got Weber for nothing. Why can't we make trades like that."

My second thought was pretty much the same.

My third thought considered briefly the Dale for J.O. trade, but Dale as *something* then and J.O. was not the J.O. of today, so I decide that didn't count.

My fourth thought was the same as the first two.

My fifth thought involved Paul Pierce.

My sixth involved Michael Redd.

My seventh involved Lamar Odom.

At that point, my first, second, and fourth thoughts ganged up and slapped some sense into me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kings trade Webber to 76ers

Yeah, we've taken another blow by Donnie Do-Nothing. This year, however, he gets a little bit of a pass. We do not have the bargaining ability this year that was there in the past.

Still its hard to watch everyone around you making moves to improve, while we slowly but surely slip back into the futility of mediocrety.

Why is it that each team we are fighting with for position goes and makes moves to put them over the top? Sheed, Webber.

Yet we always here about the importance of not making a trade for the sake of making a trade. To me, its the Baron Davis deal that is upsetting. We don't have alot to offer at this point, but obviously NO did not want alot. Since Ron is not coming back, and whether he should ever comeback is debateable, I would have loved to run a lineup of Harrison, O'Neal, Jack, The Baron, and Tins.

Think of the offense, think of the offense, oh won't someone please think of the offense.

Not to mention the D, if a team could actually gett past the ball hawks of Jack, Baron, and Tins, then they would have to shoot over JO and the Hulk.

I'm thrilled with this deal. Webber has always been one of my favorite non 76ers players in the league. I always thought that Webber/Divac were the best big men passing combo in the NBA. If somebody would have told me on Monday we could trade Kenny,Corliss and Skinner for Webber I would have told them to put down the crack pipe.

Thomas and Corliss are solid veterans and Corliss was our best bench player this season but for for the 76ers to be able to add a superstar like Webber without giving up any of our young players was amazing. O'Brien was really frustrated with our big men and their lack of passing out of the post and he was unhappy with Corliss' rebounding. Korver's game should thrive playing with CWebb and his passing skills and Iverson finally has someone else who can score 30 on any given night and somebody other than Korver that the other team has to respect on the offensive end of the court.

If the 76ers would have included Dalembert or Korver in the deal I wouldn't have liked it because of Webber's questionable health but with the players we gave up I'm very happy with the trade.

I'm fine with us not doing anything.

Ron either comes back this season, or this season bites the dust.

There is NO sense trading right now, as Ron's trade value, along with possibly Jon's, will be much higher this offseason. If we are ever to make a big trade, it'd be then.

There wasn't much point in tweaking the roster with small trades this year, unless an obvious Cro for whoever salary-cutter popped up.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Say what you will about Webber, and I know neither he nor JO like playing C, but if we could work a rotation like the Spurs had with Duncan/Admiral/Rose when they won a title, but with us, it'd be Jo/Webber/Harrison....yikes!!
    The problem with that is, Webber doesn't strike me as the Duncan/Robinson type of player. Both of those guys were more than happy to let the other shine and be the man when needed. Webber didn't even like it when Peja need more touches. I will be interested in seeing how AI and Webber coexist.

I did not read the whole thread but here is what I think. Weber is a very good player who is averaging almost a triple double these last few games. He was a good fit with Sacramento because of his passing skills. His passing helps a lot in half court sets.

In philly, Iverson is the show. I can't remember a time that a play was run for someone other than Iverson. Most of Iverson's teammates have got shots when teams double AI or the like. I can't imagine what AI will be doing on the court when a play is being run for CW. I just don't remember AI not touching the bal on a philly offensive posession.

Philly can run but CW cannot

Weber, for all his misgivings, is a very fundamentally sound player. AI will have to change a lot for this to work.

As far as Sactown, they have three good players/ all stars in Peja, Brad and Bibby. They do have a lot of size with Kenny Thomas, etc. They dumped CWebs salary. I think they are in good shape.