Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

Default Re: World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They chose that place to help hype up the new NASL team that will be located in Jacksonville next season. They did something similar in Indy last year with Chelsea and Milan.
    And, hey, the attendance can't be any worse than San Francisco...

Jozy scores!!! Good for him
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm tipping Brazil to win it. Climate, atmosphere, refs will all be in their favour.

If not them, then Argentina. I can't see a European team winning it in South America.

By the way, anyone notice how feisty the friendlies have been? Honduras have just had a player sent off v England (should have been another one too), two sent off in the earlier friendly between England and Ecuador, a Costa Rican was sent off for elbowing Kevin Doyle in the head v Ireland last night too.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

2 for Jozy. That was a gorgeous strike. Guess who's back
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    2 for Jozy. That was a gorgeous strike. Guess who's back
    He was awful this season with Sunderland.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This team looks extremely fit. Bradley played the full 93 today and didn't tire a bit. The build up is fantastic. We missed a couple finishing chances and still gave up a dumb play late for a penatly goal, but this team looks ready to go. Extremely encouraging signs IMO. Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore all looked world class and we need them to be at that level. (Except dempsey will still never have a reliable first touch it seems LOL)

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    He was awful this season with Sunderland.
    Because Sunderland sucks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I will temper everything with the fact that Nigeria gave a pitiful defensive performance. Didn't even try to get back. That won't happen in the World Cup.

But yes, I was impressed overall. If Gonzalez never enters the game (note: Brooks is the CB 3, no questions asked now), it's a shutout where Nigeria maybe got a half-chance at best, at one point.

Imagine we'll see the same starting XI vs Ghana, but still curious about Bedoya. His defensive workrate lets him work in that formation, but I also feel like, if you're going to likely rely on set pieces to score, you have to have one of Zusi or Davis out there. So curious to see what Klinsy decides.

Beckerman is dreadful going forward, but I love that he and Jones allow Bradley to go full Bradley. And that's a beautiful thing to see. Bradley has world class technical skills, honestly. It's just a lack of elite athleticism that keeps him from being a true world class player.

Agreed on all counts. This was an impressive performance. 2 things:

1. The goal at the end occurred because we put in a million subs and messed with the teamwork that had already been built up. Not a huge deal for me
    2. The nice idea about having Jones and Becks together is that not only does it allow Bradley to constantly attack, but it also allows Jones to move up a little as well when needed during attack, which he feels comfortable with.

What was really interesting was how we switched from attack to defense and back again. On attack we pushed up and it sort of looked like the diamond, but on the way back to defense it collapsed and there was always 2-3 people around the ball. It was a great tactical decision by Klinsy and allowed us to stay compact and defensive while allowing our best players to attack the goal. I really hope this is what we go with because it worked really well.

Also, Beasley should start, he did a really good job. And Bedoya has to do a better job on entry passes, he was pretty poor at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Because Sunderland sucks
    They suck*, and yep, that they do.

I'm a Newcastle fan, so I would say that anyway. F#ck Sunderland.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    They suck*, and yep, that they do.

I'm a Newcastle fan, so I would say that anyway. F#ck Sunderland.
    Sucks is correct.

Jozy doesn't get good service and he's not good enough to create things on his own, so therein lies the problem

Jozy should just come back to MLS. He could be the first big signing for LA2 or return to RBNY. Just get out of Sunderland.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Agreed, Sunderland's midfield was absolutely horrendous this year.

Go to Toronto and have Bradley feed you from the midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Go to Toronto and have Bradley feed you from the midfield
    Toronto already has Gilberto and Defoe at forward though.

Maybe Jozy could go to NYC and play alongside David Villa and Frank Lampard (potentially).

He could also return to the Eredvisie, that worked well for him

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Jozy should just come back to MLS. He could be the first big signing for LA2 or return to RBNY. Just get out of Sunderland.
    IF he wants to keep developing, which IMHO still happens at that age, then he would probably be best of transferring to another European club in one of the better leagues, alas that's not the "Eredivisie" anymore though I would love to see him back at one of our teams.
    Last edited by Mourning; 06-10-2014 at 05:46 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    IF he wants to keep developing, which IMHO still happens at that age, then he would probably be best of transferring to another European club in one of the better leagues, alas that's not the "Eredivisie" anymore though I would love to see him back at one of our teams.
    I think we have to face facts with Jozy, and the MLS. Jozy probably doesn't have a future in the Bundesliga/EPL/La Liga/etc. He's, at best, a 2nd-tier league kind of guy. And if that's the case, I have no problems with him playing in the MLS. The MLS is continuing to get better and better, and I would have a hard time saying Jozy would grow more at Wigan Athletic.

I also happen to think Jozy is one of those guys who will always show better for nation than club. Which benefits me as a USMNT fan, of course.

Part of the thing is that Jurgen goes out of his way to get him the ball in better positions than the club coach will because he's more important for the USMNT than club, meaning he has players (aka Bradley/Johnson) who can get him the ball in great positions. Sunderland has nothing of the sort and expect Jozy to do everything on his own

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I think we have to face facts with Jozy, and the MLS. Jozy probably doesn't have a future in the Bundesliga/EPL/La Liga/etc. He's, at best, a 2nd-tier league kind of guy. And if that's the case, I have no problems with him playing in the MLS. The MLS is continuing to get better and better, and I would have a hard time saying Jozy would grow more at Wigan Athletic.

I also happen to think Jozy is one of those guys who will always show better for nation than club. Which benefits me as a USMNT fan, of course.
    Oh, he won't be an absolute top striker or something, but he could be very well play for teams just below the top teams. Either way he needs to get supplied in order to succeed and that's where his current club is failing him, thus not putting him in a position to succeed. In other words, no, he's not part of the best strikers out there, but he's a lot better then what he looks like now.

He might do well in the Premier League, but the team he's a part of needs to have passers that get him the ball where he wants it and not depend on him to secure the ball somewhere and simply create. That's not his game and his strength. If he's got passers behind him I think he certainly has the quality to play in de PL and do nicely. Language isn't an issue.

He would do well here in Holland, almost anywhere, because of the philosophies teams here play with which usually includes atleast one good to very good passing midfielder and a more offense oriented style (which gives attackers on the opposing teams more space for counters and movement in general). Also a pretty easy country to get accustomed too. Language isn't a issue.

Scotland might be good to him, but again, if the team has one or more good (splitting) passers. Language isn't an issue.

Italy... I would stay away from there if I were pretty much any striker who hasn't peaked yet. Most clubs play pretty defensive and (IMHO) unattractive the list of strikers having their careers ended or cutshort in Italy is long. Also there's the language.

Spain. Yeah, could work with the same provisions as Scotland and the UK.

France? Could work nicely, but that language errr... that's a huge barrier.

Germany? Maybe. Even more then in the UK and Scotland depended on what team and style they play. Decent in English someplace, truly horrific in others.
    Last edited by Mourning; 06-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I think Jozy can absolutely play top flight soccer. He's only 24 and strikers sometimes take longer to reach their primes than other positions. Sunderland was just a really awful spot for him to land.

I think Jozy can absolutely play top flight soccer. He's only 24 and strikers sometimes take longer to reach their primes than other positions. Sunderland was just a really awful spot for him to land.
    I don't know, man. It's not impossible, but his first touch is and always has been dreadful, and that's the kiss of death for strikers with top flight ambitions unless they're amazingly tall or fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I don't know, man. It's not impossible, but his first touch is and always has been dreadful, and that's the kiss of death for strikers with top flight ambitions unless they're amazingly tall or fast.
    Jozy is pretty special physical specimen. His first touch isn't that great, but then again Dempsey's has never been anything to right home about either. Dempsey hwoever has always been special on the ball and I think Jozy has that same sort of potential when it comes to finishing at the net.

Jozy is pretty special physical specimen. His first touch isn't that great, but then again Dempsey's has never been anything to right home about either. Dempsey hwoever has always been special on the ball and I think Jozy has that same sort of potential when it comes to finishing at the net.
    Dempsey is weird in that way; you're right. He totally gets away with it. Really, Dempsey gets away with 5 horrible touches/skill moves gone awry per game, because the 1 or 2 he does execute are that spectacular, and he just has a great feel for where to be and when to be there.

Man I am excited for this. If we can get a W against Ghana, I think we will make out of our group and then I think we can really be a wild card in the playoffs.