Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

Default Re: World Cup 2014

I really like what I see from DeAndre Yedlin, I look forward to seeing him play more in the future.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just hope the complete inability to make any sort of pass against Germany has gone away or we won't move on at all no matter who we would have played. I kept thinking we looked like a bunch of 5-year-olds just kicking the ball as hard as they could to the other end and not really caring which opponent player they kicked it to.

My USMNT viewing experience is also limited to World Cups. I didn't think we looked like that against Ghana, and I only saw the very end of the Portugal match. Has this been normal?
    Nah, Germany is just a ridiculously good team
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

4. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Also Jermaine Jones has a broken nose but will play.

I just hope the complete inability to make any sort of pass against Germany has gone away or we won't move on at all no matter who we would have played. I kept thinking we looked like a bunch of 5-year-olds just kicking the ball as hard as they could to the other end and not really caring which opponent player they kicked it to.

My USMNT viewing experience is also limited to World Cups. I didn't think we looked like that against Ghana, and I only saw the very end of the Portugal match. Has this been normal?
    When you put 10 behind the ball, you normally don't prioritize possession.

No that isn't normal. I thought we played scared, and didn't really try to challenge Germany's defense enough. The few times we did we came close to getting good shots if we just had on target passes. I can't remember the last time I saw a group of professionals pass so poorly.

Klinsmann is optimistic Altidore will play vs. Belgium

http://www.businessinsider.com/jozy-...-status-2014-6

Part of the problem is not having a holding forward up top, part of it is having Beckerman and Jones together on the field. You sacrifice some creativity upfield for better defensive posture. To our credit, our defense has been quite good, but keeping possession hasn't been as good. Zusi hasn't played as well as I'd have liked (and Bradley) and Bedoya/Davis add nothing. Putting in Green or Mix (more likely) would change things up
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

What a finish. Just heartbreaking for Chile, the goalpost saved Brazil.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

So Brazil moves on..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Uruguay looking toothless up front...

PS: No, they will never end in case you wonder

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What.A.Hit.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought we played well against Portugal, better than them in fact. However, my viewing experience for soccer is pretty much limited to World Cups, so I'm not the best person to ask.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Sports Logo

James Rodriguez's 1st strike was simply amazing. It's one of the best goals in the tournament so far along with Van Persie's header (the equalizer in the Netherlands - Spain game). Uruguay's offense really lacked bite last night.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    James Rodriguez's 1st strike was simply amazing. It's one of the best goals in the tournament so far along with Van Persie's header (the equalizer in the Netherlands - Spain game). Uruguay's offense really lacked bite last night.
    Van Persie's header was awesome, but I think this one takes the cake
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Yeah this was something spectacular, though I still love Van Persie's. We've had some really nice goals this WC.

Really looking forward to Dutch vs Mexico. I believe the Dutch will win but Mexico is going to put up a fight. Should be splendidly entertaining

Dutch already in trouble with the heat. They are sluggish and already had to use a sub. Mexico pushing well, should be interesting

oof. this seems to happen to mexico disproportionately often.

Wow. Mexico had this game in hand and were outplaying the Dutch side. But a wonderful shot by Sneijder and a iffy PK call later they are going to win, wow. Robben got clipped for sure but he sold that well. This is tough for Mexico...
    Last edited by Suaveness; 06-29-2014 at 04:30 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Wow. Mexico had this game in hand and were outplaying the Mexican side. But a wonderful shot by Sneijder and a iffy PK call later they are going to win, wow. Robben got clipped for sure but he sold that well. This is tough for Mexico...
    REfs missed a penalty on Robben earlier anyway.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Snuck it right in there.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    Van Persie's header was awesome, but I think this one takes the cake
    Cahill's goal is still my #1. Then Rodriguez. Then Van Persie. Then Jermaine Jones.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Wow. Mexico had this game in hand and were outplaying the Mexican side. But a wonderful shot by Sneijder and a iffy PK call later they are going to win, wow. Robben got clipped for sure but he sold that well. This is tough for Mexico...
    1. This was a game played at 39C temperature, which was a huge advantage for Mexico vs us, but I think our exceptionall fitness and preparation for this tournament have really paid off so far, especially when you look at a lot of other European teams.

2. After that goal from Mexico, The Netherlands immediately took the initiative with both hands and switched from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3 which really confused the Mexicans pretty much for the rest of the match, particularly when van Gaal after the water break in the 2nd half switched Kuyt from right back to one of two central attackers. Van Gaal was just great tactically in the 2nd half. And the beauty of it all was that the players after the match mentioned the coaching stafff went through several scenarios before the match, so when the coach immediately wanted them to play another system it went pretty much fluidely and everyone immediately knew their role. I love that approach. It gives a coach so many options. I didnt think we got outplayed, esp. not after that Mexico goal. It did get very close with regards to time.

The Robben penalty imho wasnt a penalty, however The Netherlands should have 100% had a penalty in the 1st half. They really dont come much clearer, so it felt a bit like justice to me.

We had to substitute de Jong due to injury in the 10th minute, not because he had played bad or because we had to tactically changes positions and/or personell.

This was a hard fought match and it sucks for Mexico, but I think we deservedly won the game.
    Last edited by Mourning; 06-29-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Wow, and Greece ties it at 1-1

Feels like Greece would have won this already if they could connect on a damn cross.

No offense, Nuntius, and god knows I'm difficult on USMNT and don't see them advancing but MAYBE 1 more match if they're lucky ... but Greece was just crap in that match. Completely lacking technical ability. They should be embarrassed they couldn't pull out a win playing a man up for as long as they did.