Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: World Cup 2014

I'm guessing we will be without Altidore against the Belgians.

Serious question for those who know more about futbol than me: Is Belgium possibly the worst team the US will have played in this World Cup? I think that argument can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm guessing we will be without Altidore against the Belgians.

Serious question for those who know more about futbol than me: Is Belgium possibly the worst team the US will have played in this World Cup? I think that argument can be made.
    I think we get Altidore back, Klinsmann said if we made it out of the group stage we have a good chance at getting him back, and well, we made it out. Also Altidore jumped off the bench during the Germany game and appeared to be moving fine, not that that is exactly an expert diagnosis or anything.

As for Belgium being the worst team we have faced, yea I think you can absolutely make a case for that. I think they may be a bit better than Portugal, but not by much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    No. Not even close. Belgium has improved a lot over the past 4 years. They are considered one of the dark horses for this world cup. They won their Qualifying Group with ease (8 wins, 2 ties in a group that included Croatia and Serbia) and their last defeat was back in November 2012.

I'd say that Belgium is better than both Portugal and Ghana. They have excellent players all across the court and they don't have the same weaknesses that Portugal and Ghana had. The only problem that Belgium has is that Kompany and Vermaelen are unavailable due to injury. Kompany is a very experienced player and since Belgium is going to miss his presence.

That's what the US can try to exploit. Belgium is a very young team and you should try to take advantage of their lack of experience.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    No. Not even close. Belgium has improved a lot over the past 4 years. They are considered one of the dark horses for this world cup. They won their Qualifying Group with ease (8 wins, 2 ties in a group that included Croatia and Serbia) and their last defeat was back in November 2012.

I'd say that Belgium is better than both Portugal and Ghana. They have excellent players all across the court and they don't have the same weaknesses that Portugal and Ghana had. The only problem that Belgium has is that Kompany and Vermaelen are unavailable due to injury. Kompany is a very experienced player and since Belgium is going to miss his presence.

That's what the US can try to exploit. Belgium is a very young team and you should try to take advantage of their lack of experience.
    I disagree, I think Belgium is better than Portugal yea, but I don't see them being better than Ghana (Ghana at full strength that is, not the Ghana team we saw today). At the very least it is certainly close between Ghana and Belgium. At least, I am judging this from what I have seen from Belgium in this World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I disagree, I think Belgium is better than Portugal yea, but I don't see them being better than Ghana (Ghana at full strength that is, not the Ghana team we saw today). At the very least it is certainly close between Ghana and Belgium. At least, I am judging this from what I have seen from Belgium in this World Cup.
    No, Belgium is definitely better than Ghana. They have incredibly strong, young, talented players who will put tons of pressure on your defense. They are better than Portugal and Ghana. They key, as mentioned, is their inexperience. They beat us 4-2 last year and looked pretty convincing at the time.

It'll be really difficult to beat them
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    No, Belgium is definitely better than Ghana. They have incredibly strong, young, talented players who will put tons of pressure on your defense. They are better than Portugal and Ghana. They key, as mentioned, is their inexperience. They beat us 4-2 last year and looked pretty convincing at the time.

It'll be really difficult to beat them
    Am I missing something here? I have not been overly impressed at all watching Belgium play in this world cup. Obviously yes they are a good team, but I don't see what makes them better than Ghana at full strength. A Ghana team which fought to a 2-2 tie with Germany. Maybe I overrate Ghana, but I think they are very good team, so saying Belgium isn't as good as them IMO is not an insult to them.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 06-26-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Am I missing something here? I have not been overly impressed at all watching Belgium play in this world cup. Obviously yes they are a good team, but I don't see what makes them better than Ghana at full strength. A Ghana team which fought to a 2-2 tie with Germany. Maybe I overrate Ghana, but I think they are very good team, so saying Belgium isn't as good as them IMO is not an insult to them.
    You're basing everything on just a couple of games from the WC. Over the last few years Belgium has put together this talented team and they are dripping with skill and youth. They've gotten better and more comfortable each game and they are still learning to play with each other. But mark my words, they are more talented than we are and if they play properly they will beat us. As said, what we have in advantage is some grit and experience at some positions, but this will be incredibly difficult.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

You're basing everything on just a couple of games from the WC. Over the last few years Belgium has put together this talented team and they are dripping with skill and youth. They've gotten better and more comfortable each game and they are still learning to play with each other. But mark my words, they are more talented than we are and if they play properly they will beat us. As said, what we have in advantage is some grit and experience at some positions, but this will be incredibly difficult.
    Yea I am new to soccer, so my opinion on every team is based on what i've seen from in the World Cup. I'll take your word for it and expect them to be a lot better than what I originally thought.

I think Belgium has more quality than Ghana & Portugal, but less than Germany (duh). So in a way, it's good the US was able to see what a real juggernaut looks like early and take their best punches without any elimination repercussions. Would think it would inspire an attitude of "hey, they're still no Germany".

Belgium's defense is going to be tough to crack, and they have a class midfield. Jones & Bradley going to have to be much more consistent in that one, and linked up much better with Dempsey.

Don't think you'll see the conservative approaches you saw from US vs Ghana & Germany. Think you're more likely to see a formation/philosophy like you did vs Portugal -- Altidore availability-dependent.

My XI for US with Altidore...

Altidore
    Dempsey
    Jones/Bradley
    Bedoya/Beckerman
    Beasley/Besler/???/Johnson
    Howard

Think it's a 4-2-2-1-1 with Altidore holding, Dempsey making some clever runs off Altidore, Jones/Bradley working in a pulley system (wouldn't be surprised if Bradley is defensive-minded, Jones is attack-minded) and everyone else covering, essentially. Would be cool to see the link-up play with Altidore back in the mix, because he gives a legit holding option the US hasn't had yet, and would bring out the best in Dempsey.

Subs: Yedlin (don't fix what ain't broke ... guy brings something positive every game), Diskerud (please? finally? for Bedoya) & perhaps Chandler (feels like Johnson has been asked to do a lot).

No idea who plays RCB. Cameron? Gonzalez? I'm hesitant to buy into Gonzalez stock too much after one good game in a sea of groaners. But clearly, Cameron has fallen out of favor a bit.

If Altidore can't go, you probably see something similar to the Portugal lineup.

Lets hope we get good news revolving around Jozy Altidore tomorrow.

Belgium hasn't played a knockout game in any tournament since 2002. We have the experience advantage by a large margin. I'm just worried about the speed of our backline.

Sports Logo

Belgium is one of the 4 teams that won all 3 of their group matches. The Netherlands, Argentina and Colombia were the only teams other than Belgium that did that. They are a very good squad.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

To be fair Belgium's group was an absolute joke. I think every team in Group G could have got 9 points in Belgium's place.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Having an Asian team in your group in this Cup was a guaranteed 3 points for a legit team.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Belgium is one of the 4 teams that won all 3 of their group matches. The Netherlands, Argentina and Colombia were the only teams other than Belgium that did that. They are a very good squad.
    They weren't exactly in a tough group either
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I think Belgium has more quality than Ghana & Portugal, but less than Germany (duh). So in a way, it's good the US was able to see what a real juggernaut looks like early and take their best punches without any elimination repercussions. Would think it would inspire an attitude of "hey, they're still no Germany".
    Exactly. Belgium is not a juggernaut like Germany and thus you have a chance to advance past them.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Their group wasn't very good though. I think Ghana could have done the same.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Having an Asian team in your group in this Cup was a guaranteed 3 points for a legit team.
    Iran, Japan and South Korea all ended the group phase with 1 point. England and Ghana earned the exact same amount of points.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    To be fair Belgium's group was an absolute joke. I think every team in Group G could have got 9 points in Belgium's place.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    They weren't exactly in a tough group either
    I disagree with both of you.

South Korea advanced to the round of 16 in the '10 World Cup and fought hard against Uruguay losing 2-1 due to a Suarez goal at the 80th minute.

Russia was in the same group in the UEFA World Cup Qualifications with Portugal and they were the ones that won the group (although, they only won by 1 point and they splitted the two matches between them). An argument can be made that Russia and Portugal are on the same level.

Algeria is improved compared to 4 years ago as well. They have really impressed me in this World Cup. Ghana was good against Germany as well. I'd say that both of them are strong squads.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't see how you can bench Zusi, he's been too good.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Agreed, I like Zusi a lot.

How about Fabian Johnson as well? Outside of a few mental lapses, he has played like a star.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    And I'll disagree here. Outside of the Brooks header & Dempsey go-ahead-at-the-time, his service has largely been poor...for a guy who exists primarily for his service. He's done better tracking back than I imagined he would, but he lacks creativity/pace/ball skills, and the ball tends to get stuck with him on the wing, then either sent back Beckerman-style or dispossessed.

With guys like Zusi & Davis (Davis is by far the more glaring example), I really believe that unless they're consistently providing great service off crosses and set pieces, there isn't much of a use/need for them on the pitch.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Do you consider Green? Davis should not be playing

Do you consider Green? Davis should not be playing
    Neither. Mix.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just hope the complete inability to make any sort of pass against Germany has gone away or we won't move on at all no matter who we would have played. I kept thinking we looked like a bunch of 5-year-olds just kicking the ball as hard as they could to the other end and not really caring which opponent player they kicked it to.

My USMNT viewing experience is also limited to World Cups. I didn't think we looked like that against Ghana, and I only saw the very end of the Portugal match. Has this been normal?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh