Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Thread: World Cup 2014

Default Re: World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yedlin to Roma. Huge deal.
    Good for him. He will be a star, can't wait to see him play here in 2 years as our starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I think its a mistake for Yedlin to go to Roma. Italy is where you could go when you arent relatively new to top flight soccer competition, but if you are relatively "green" into that I would advise him to play in a league where he will get more playing time and more room to operate in and is a little less physical burdening.

I would go to Portugal, The Netherlands or France and then after approx. 2 years make the jump to preferably Spain, England or Germany or if need be Italy.... Italy where they inherently place more focus on defending and especially the physical kind and where several of our top strikers of past decades either looked bad or got very serious, sometimes career ending, injuries.

Also where would Yedlin fall in the pecking order? Will he actually get regular playing time and the chance to keep developing?
    He'll be loaned to Genoa for next year, so he'll get playing time. I expect Roma to sell the Greek RB they already have (can't think of his name) and have Yedlin learn behind Maicon and get supersub minutes in 2015-2016 before coming into the starting role in 2016-2017. I would rather him play with Ashley Cole and Maicon, two of the best fullbacks of the last decade, then go to Netherlands, where defense isn't really the name of the game, or a lesser club in France or Portugal, where no American has really had success recently.

oh boy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't even have a gif I think is appropriate.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Alright, so which Brazilian guy's name translates into English as "Peyton Manning"?

Yeah, I went there.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I may not be a fútbol expert, but I think the home team may be in some trouble.

Mood

Disgraceful performance by Brazil.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Just a random question by me, but what do you all think is the potential ceiling for Julian Green and DeAndre Yedlin? Just curious if everyone is as high on them as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Just a random question by me, but what do you all think is the potential ceiling for Julian Green and DeAndre Yedlin? Just curious if everyone is as high on them as I am.
    Everyone is high on Yedlin. Honestly, after his performances he probably should have been starting. Green looked good in limited time, and not just his goal. He still has a lot to prove though.

This semi has been zzzzzzzzz. Absolutely no shots on goal and just a droll affair. What a disappointment
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

sh**ty final game for Brazil fans: do you root for your most hated rival, or the team that just beat you 7-1?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    sh**ty final game for Brazil fans: do you root for your most hated rival, or the team that just beat you 7-1?
    Just imagine the Super Bowl in Indy again...do you root for the Patriots or some NFC team that beat you 49-7 in the regular season, and maybe kept you from making the playoffs?
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Congrats to Argentina for making it to the final.

Yeah, I dunno. It was a very boring game that needed a goal to be broaken open and it just didn't happen, because both teams focused on their defense and crowding the midfield. I always find it hilarious that you get some commentators from other countries suddenly telling Holland that they should return to their attacking style, maybe just MAYBE the countries where several of those commentators come from should take a look at their own country and their own focus on defense.

Look at Italy for example and how they have played "negative" for such an enormous period of time by now. We are pretty much talking decades non-stop. That ugly way of playing has earned them a lot of silver and gold platter though, while my country only has one European Championship title to show for its attacking and attractive way of playing. It's beyond doubt we prefer to play attacking and attractive, but the past 4-5 years there's been a voice and opinion here that's getting louder and louder which says we want to get further in the tournament and not just to the last 8 and if we need to play more defensively and less attractive like a lot of other sides have been doing for ages (again hi there Italy, Argentina, Portugal, Greece, and before 2006 Germany aswell, etc.).

Just a pet peeve I had to get off my chest.

We play beautifull, but get to the last 8 and sometimes to the last 4 and it's: The Dutch never reach their potential (logically, because attacking play is much more difficult and complicating).

We play ugly, but get to the final and the last 4 it's: The Dutch are playing unattractive and should get back to their soccer heritage of playing attacking and attractive soccer. (again, strange I never hear that complaint about other countries which have been doing that exact things for ages, it's an argument always reserved against us it seems...). I mean WTF do these commentators want and expect?

Either way, I'm all for results, so I'm not by the least bothered by our much more defensive ways.

The game itself was meh. Messi and Robben were both excellently marked and thus the creativity was much lower in both teams. We were a bit unlucky to lose Martins Indi due to a hip injury, otherwise we would have had a substitution left to get our backup goalkeeper in to try and stop the penalty kicks.

De Jong we knew wouldnt be able to last a full match and certainly not with extra time after coming back quite early from a groin injury, so that substitution had to be made and was expected.

Robin van Persie also was expected to play a match, but not if it went to extra time (which, offcourse, it did) as he had been recovering from a stomach flu earlier in the week. Martins Indi having to be replaced really hurt us though as I think two of the four Argentinian penalty kicks were certainly stoppable.

Ah well... we can look back on a succesfull tournament. We failed to win it, but the expectations for this group of players was much lower then usually when we go to the WC, because one of our best midfielders (Kevin Strootman, AS Roma) was injured before the start of the tournament and the talent available in midfield to replace him seemed quiter limited, while our defense consisted almost completely of very young and in international tournaments for national teams untested players who almost all play in the Dutch league.

I have to say though I was VERY pleasantly surprised by several of our young defenders stepping up and I have no doubt a player like for example Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord, 22 years old) will be transferred to a bigger European League this summer. Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord, barely 24 years old) did pretty well and Ron Vlaar was dominating in several matches aswell. In midfield we are seeying th emergence of attacking winger Memphis Depay (PSV and still only 20 years old, 2 goals in this WC in limited time) who I for one am very enthousiastic about.

So, for us this WC was a succes advancing in one of if not THE toughest group (Spain, Chili, The Netherlands and Australia) and reaching the last 4 and beying sent off by penalty kicks. So, we are happy with the endresult. I could care less about the game for 3rd and 4th place (seriously can we just disband that no use game? It's not like the winner is going to get a bronze medal or something ).

I have to say I watched almost all matches and this was one of the most enjoyable if not the most enjoyable WC I can remember. And I want to compliment the Belgians for (FINALLY!!!) making it to an international tournament again and having a group with a very bright future up ahead. I also want to compliment the USA for getting out of another extremely tough group and playing the way it did. I think you guys need a very good offensive midfielder who can make a dribble, has speed and an accurate array of medium and long range passes to supply the targetmen upfront with some quality balls to work with. I think your team is going upwards, but you need to keep raising talent and nourish it carefully.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

As much as I hate when pundits lump blame on guys like Manning, LeBron ... and even Rooney, in the soccer sense, I think Messi really deserves a lot of criticism for his showing in that final.

I don't know how else to describe him but pouty. He played the game like he was more interested in moping than getting involved. One thing I say for all attack maestros: if you're going to sacrifice the defensive elements of your game (as Messi, Ozil etc. do) to be a star, then you have to make a mark in the attack. Messi was invisible yesterday, save 1 or 2 really poor shooting efforts.

It's a joke he won the Golden Ball over Rodriguez, who was infinitely more consistent and electric this tournament with a comparable amount of attention paid toward his prowess. Honestly, Messi just looked like a guy who decided he was too tired for the World Cup, and half-assed it out there. At this stage, you can't do that.

First game of the 2018 cycle this afternoon.

No MLS guys since MLS doesn't acknowledge this FIFA international break, and the most interesting thing is going with the 4-3-3. Hopefully we can get some reliable wingers and stick with this for qualifying.

Something like

-------------Howard--------------
    -Yedlin--Besler---Gonzalez--Fabian-
    ----Diskerud--Bradley--Bedoya----
    ----Dempsey--Altidore--Green----

No MLS guys since MLS doesn't acknowledge this FIFA international break, and the most interesting thing is going with the 4-3-3. Hopefully we can get some reliable wingers and stick with this for qualifying.

Something like

-------------Howard--------------
    -Yedlin--Besler---Gonzalez--Fabian-
    ----Diskerud--Bradley--Bedoya----
    ----Dempsey--Altidore--Green----
    Looks like a good team to me, though I wonder if we get Gedion Zelalem if we will start at one of the mid spots, though its not a forgone conclusion we get him

Yeah Zelalem would be in over Bedoya. As a matter of fact I think a defensive mid could easily be a better fit than Bedoya or Zelalem. We'll have to wait & see. Today, Rimando, Diskerud, and Gyau looked pretty good. Gyau will be an interesting person to watch. If he could ever break through onto the first team in Dortmund that would be incredible.

Yeah Zelalem would be in over Bedoya. As a matter of fact I think a defensive mid could easily be a better fit than Bedoya or Zelalem. We'll have to wait & see. Today, Rimando, Diskerud, and Gyau looked pretty good. Gyau will be an interesting person to watch. If he could ever break through onto the first team in Dortmund that would be incredible.
    I was really impressed with Mix Diskerud in particular, if he can keep putting in similar performances I see him being a starter for us as early as the CONCACAF gold cup.

I'm pretty psyched over all about the attack. With Bradley as a distributor, guys like Zardes, Green, and Gyau coming up, and Boyd not being royally snubbed hopefully the attack could have some serious players for 2015 and beyond.

I'm pretty psyched over all about the attack. With Bradley as a distributor, guys like Zardes, Green, and Gyau coming up, and Boyd not being royally snubbed hopefully the attack could have some serious players for 2015 and beyond.
    I can't wait for the Gold Cup already, I think the U.S. can definitely take it, though there will be some stiff competition from Costa Rica and Mexico.

Didn't know where else to put this, but Jozy Altidore said if his playing time in Sunderland this winter he is going to look for a way out... Possible MLS return?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Didn't know where else to put this, but Jozy Altidore said if his playing time in Sunderland this winter he is going to look for a way out... Possible MLS return?
    Probably should be in MLS thread I would think.