Thread: Gregg Doyel to join IndyStar as sports columnist

Default Gregg Doyel to join IndyStar as sports columnist

Gregg Doyel, CBSSports.com's lead sports columnist who has won five top-10s in the Associated Press Sport Editors' writing competition since 2000, is joining IndyStar.

"Gregg is an accomplished journalist on the national sports scene -- a talented storyteller who's unflinching in his opinions and who has a deep passion for his work," IndyStar Executive Editor Jeff Taylor said.

Doyel, who will start as IndyStar's sports columnist on Oct. 20, is the author of two books: "Coach K: Building the Duke Dynasty" and "Kentucky Wildcats: Where Have You Gone?" He has been a sports radio host in the Cincinnati market and a frequent guest on ESPN and other top radio shows, including Dan Dakich's in Indianapolis.

He worked previously as the national basketball writer for CBS Sports and covered the Florida Marlins for the Miami Herald and the ACC for the Charlotte Observer.

Doyel expressed enthusiasm for his new city and job.

"Indianapolis might just be my favorite city in America -- no, really -- and the Star is going to let me be the sports columnist? Pinch me!

"No, kindly don't pinch me. But understand please that this position is a dream come true, and I'm going to give this job and this city the best I've got."

Doyel will appear on Dan Dakich's radio show on 1070 The Fan at 12:30 p.m. today to talk about his move to the Star.

This summer, Doyel wrote a column on the trials and triumphs in the small town of Dugger, Ind. Check it out: "How a small Indiana town used sports to preserve its school and perhaps itself."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...nist/16905811/

That's really surprising.

Default Re: Gregg Doyel to join IndyStar as sports columnist

Anyway. Coming in right below ESPN's power trio is Gregg Doyel, and that's fitting. As prize stud of the CBS Sports stable of troll columnists—unrivaled outside Bristol for depth and breadth of ability to deliver strong takes—he has duties and responsibilities, and no one has ever accused him of neglecting them. Consider this: Doyel is somewhat more self-referential than Sport Illustrated's Peter King, a man who dedicates a regular feature ("Ten Things I Think I Think") to the proposition that readers need to be familiar not only with his thoughts and various random things that have happened to him on Amtrak, but with his proto-thoughts, as well. That takes work, and Doyel puts it in. His columns on Manti Te'o ("We're whining in stories and on Twitter, and it's all over the place") and Alex Rodriguez ("I'm done with him") both rated in the top 10 most pronouny in our sample, a feat exceeded only by (of course) Whitlock.
    http://deadspin.com/who-is-the-most-...inv-1341069868

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Holy crap. I like Doyel. How much money did the Star throw at him?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

I look forward to trying to actively ignore anything he says about my teams. At least he won't pussyfoot around the Colts pressers so there's that I guess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I predict he will quickly become hated by both the Colts and Pacers' fans if and when the respective teams hit a rough patch....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So that's what they were talking about on JMV I caught the tail end of it.

I don't care for him but at least he could make it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I predict he will quickly become hated by both the Colts and Pacers' fans if and when the respective teams hit a rough patch....
    He's called out Dwyane Wade for the dirty player he is. That's worth SOME goodwill....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that is what they hired him for.

Wait till PG has another lapse in judgement. That'll be an interesting article.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post: