Thread: Another question to Brunner on Artest possibly coming back.

Default Another question to Brunner on Artest possibly coming back.

Normally I wouldn't bother posting this because it's been beat to death. However this article gave me a thought. I'll let everyone read the article first.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050222.html
    Did Commissioner Leave Door Ajar for Artest?

Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2005
    If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunnerís opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.
    QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. ESPN recently reported in an interview with Commissioner (David) Stern that "Stern said there had been no application for the reinstatement of Ron Artest from his season-long suspension." Granted, the quote may have been taken out of context, but doesn't is seem to imply that he would at least consider such an application? He could have made a more emphatic statement regarding the suspension, but didn't. Is this reading too much into the statement? (From Wade in Indianapolis)

A. The commissioner clearly did not want to discuss the Artest situation during his media availability session during the All-Star Weekend, and his statement made that clear. "I don't want to spend too much time on the Ron Artest matter," he said. "I'm a victim of my own inability to say that I'd like never to say never, but I don't anticipate that there will be an application for reinstatement, and I'm not thinking about the subject now, period."

That doesn't sound like an olive branch to me. It sounds like a commissioner who, in his mind, has laid this particular matter to rest. The Pacers have been operating under the assumption the commissioner will not consider a request for reinstatement for anything other than the beginning of the 2005-06 season and that hasn't changed. Keep in mind, when the commissioner announced Artest's suspension for the remainder of this season and the playoffs, he also said the forward's return next season was not automatic and that he would have to request reinstatement at that time.

Considering how vigorously the league opposed the arbitrator's decision to reduce Jermaine O'Neal's suspension, it doesn't follow that the commissioner would suddenly take a more benevolent approach toward Artest. To do so would set a precedent that would undermine every disciplinary action he takes hereafter.
    ---

Okay, here's the part that I want to talk about. Stern said, "I don't anticipate that there will be an application for reinstatement."

Donnie has been quoted as saying if he thought there was a chance he would partition the league to have Ron reinstated. Why not say that he would ask the league to reinstate Ron after 50 or 60 games?

My question is why did they make such statements Obviously because they know something we don't.

Could it be that Bird thinks it will be better for Artest if he sets out a year. Bird has been quoted as saying a year isn't a very long time. He's also been quoted as saying that what Artest has went though will have to chance him.

Obviously if he thought Artest would get his act together after missing a year it would be good for both Artest and the team.

So if Bird actually wants Ron to sit out the year because he thinks it will do him and the Pacers some good, and if Stern and Donnie know this it would explain both their statements. It would also explain why the Pacers are adamant about not trading Artest. It would also explain why Bird says Reggie shouldn't retire this year.

What's everyone think of this theory? I'm not sure what I think of it myself, that's why I'm posting it.

Default Re: Another question to Brunner on Artest possibly coming back.

Not buying your theory at all. This whole discussion about having to file an application to return is pointless. If the pacers have to file an application they will.

Here's what I think is happening (random speculation ahead):

#1- The Pacers put Artest on ice for a while to get him out of the public/media eye and try and put some distance between the team-Artest-and the Mow Down in Motown.

#2- Then they slowly start dribbling him back into public action in a series of 'feel-good' stories.
    -This is to accomplish a couple of things such as testing the media and fan reaction to a potential Artest early return... It also starts giving a vote of confidence to Artest which potentially could help his trade value increase. It also blows some sunshine up the butts of the fanbase who are clamoring for any light they can get right now.
    -A trial balloon if you will.

#3 Assuming this 'trial balloon' floats back in as 'positive' and the general media reaction to Artest's return to public is 'positive' and the media seems inclined to want to see Artest back this season then the Pacers step up item #2 for a late game (season) Hail Mary. That would mean a 'hurry up' 2 minute drill (feel good stories out the wazoo and maybe some gentle behind the scenes pressure to Stern) and then a public application for reinstatement.
    -The hopes being that the media and public would be so much in Ron's favor, and Stern already rethinking his position, that the pressure would cause Stern to relent.

I think the biggest piece of ammo that the Pacers have that makes any of the other stuff matter is the fact Artest's return this season puts this whole mess behind the NBA THIS season. It doesn't drag it into next season as such a large issue clouding the league.

Of course... Will could be right and the Pacers have decided that this punishment is good for Artest.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course... Will could be right and the Pacers have decided that this punishment is good for Artest.

-Bball
    Actually, I think that Stern has decided that this punishment is good for Artest and he doesn't even want the Pacers to apply for reinstatement before the 05/06 season.

He could've told them something along the lines of, "If you even submit an application before then, I'll reject it immediately without a second thought." I can definitely believe that because from every thing I know about Stern he's a belligerant little overlord.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron is not coming back this season...PERIOD.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that it is important to recall that Bird's statements regarding Artest came before Reggie made it known that he will retire at the conclusion of the season.

I think, as has been mentioned, that most probably think it would be very beneficial to Artest to sit out the entire year.

However, Reggie's announcement might possibly change the the sentiment of Larry and Donnie regarding whether they would even allow Artest to come back this season. And if they cannot get Reggie to at least voice a possibility that he might reconsider, then I believe that Donnie and Larry might allow that to outweigh what they feel is best for Artest. Under those circumstances, they might apply for an early reinstatement to see if Stern might at least consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I think that it is important to recall that Bird's statements regarding Artest came before Reggie made it known that he will retire at the conclusion of the season.

I think, as has been mentioned, that most probably think it would be very beneficial to Artest to sit out the entire year.

However, Reggie's announcement might possibly change the the sentiment of Larry and Donnie regarding whether they would even allow Artest to come back this season. And if they cannot get Reggie to at least voice a possibility that he might reconsider, then I believe that Donnie and Larry might allow that to outweigh what they feel is best for Artest. Under those circumstances, they might apply for an early reinstatement to see if Stern might at least consider it.
    You bring up a good point, albeit secondary to your overall point; Maybe Donnie and Larry don't want Artest back this season. Everybody just assumes that they do. Maybe that is entirely wrong. It is quite possible they feel he is too important to the team to trade for peanuts (and probably his trade value so far has proven to be peanuts) so knowing for better or worse he is 'our's' they feel riding out this season and letting him hang in the wind might ultimately be best for everyone. Maybe he'll finally 'get it'... and not only that but maybe they feel certain others on the team might benefit from seeing what a Pacer team is like without Artest.

That does of course mean they've in almost all likelihood written off this season. That would mean the 'feel-good' Artest articles are simply a bit of PR for the press to rehabilitate Ron's image and (probably) mostly for the fans to not give up hope or think this season is a lost cause.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden