Thread: The Star Deletes Pacers References in Trade Deadline Story.

Default The Star Deletes Pacers References in Trade Deadline Story.

Most people won't give a ****, but the editors of the Indy Star sports pages hit a new low today as far as I am concerned.

They edited out references to the Indiana Pacers in a story carried on the sports page written by Phil Sheridan, an Associated Press writer, on the trading deadline this week in the NBA.

Sheridan listed the Indiana Pacers as being one of the teams most likely to be interested in a trade. He also listed Ron Artest as a player whose name is being bandied about in trade rumors.

The Star carried Sheridan's article word for word. Except, references to the Indiana Pacers and Ron Artest were deleted from the story.

Who is running the Star sports page? A former editor of Pravda?

Sheridan's actual story:

Along with the Timberwolves, the Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trail Blazers, Boston Celtics, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers are the favorites to make something happen before the league's trading deadline passes Thursday afternoon.

Sacramento's Chris Webber, New York's Kurt Thomas, Toronto's Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall, Indiana's suspended Ron Artest, Memphis' Bonzi Wells, Portland's Damon Stoudamire, Nick Van Exel and Ruben Patterson, Miami's Eddie Jones and the Lakers' Lamar Odom were among the names being bandied about in trade rumors over the weekend.
    My emphasis on :Indiana Pacers and Ron Artest. Not Sheridan's.

If you care to check, you will see the Star ran the same article verbatim, except Sheridan's inclusion of the Indiana Pacers and Ron Artest were deleted.

Yuk! Extremely dishonest and insulting to Pacers fans who look to the Star for insight and information.

If the editors disagreed with Sheridan's analysis, which I do by the way, why did they bother running the article in the first place? It was, after all, mostly a summary of trade rumors that anyone of us who follows the NBA daily on the Internet could have written. He broke no new ground.

I originally wrote that this is a relatively small matter. But, after additional review, I really don't believe that. If a newspaper sports section has no credibility on something insignificant like this, what the heck will it do when faced with something important where honest reporting is needed.

I try not to be a cynic. But what the Star sports editors did to Sheridan's story was incredibly stupid and wrong. They at least owe their readers an apology. And the person responsible for the deletions deserves a suspension without pay at least as long as that given Jermaine O'Neal.

As far as I am concerned, what the Star did, given their responsibility in the community, was worse than Ron Artest going into the stands in a fit of rage after a drunken fan.

Default Re: The Star Deletes Pacers References in Trade Deadline Story.

Do a search on sportspages.com for the Pacers and you will find Sheridan's story was carried by many newspapers across the country. You'll find what I say about the deletions to be true.

http://www.sportspages.com/content/nba/nbacentral.shtml

Maybe the Star knows the Pacers are not going to trade Ron so they see no sense in running rumors that they know aren't true.

The Pacer's have steadfastly said they aren't trading Ron.

Hence I have no problem with them editing that particular rumor out.

NewType

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe the Star knows the Pacers are not going to trade Ron so they see no sense in running rumors that they know aren't true.

I'm thinking the same. It's probably because they know it's not happening, why keep that section and risk creating uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen

If the Star knows the Pacers for certain are not going to make a trade, then they ought to write the story instead of changing a guy's column and not telling us they changed it. Or they could say the guy is full of ****.

To edit out Pacers references in a column comes way too close to censorship. The truth is there have been Artest rumors floating around and there have certainly been stories about the Pacers having interest in certain players. Whether the rumors become reality doesn't matter. To in effect deny that there have been rumors about the Pacers --- when you print a story about trade rumors --- is dishonest and is not simply editiing.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always found it somewhat peculiar when they would take a "national" article and add to it. You know, the whole, "Mark Montieth and Sekou Smith contributed to the above article" type of notation. But I guess that's commonplace.

Ethically, since they didn't reproduce the entire article, don't they have an obligation to at least mention that they selectively "sheltered" thier readers from some of the information that other readers of the article in other markets received?

These are the types of decisions that get people fired from journalism/ editor-ship jobs.

It isn't about, "We [the Star] know the Pacers aren't going to make a trade", its about the responsibility of media in a free society.

They would've been better off reprinting the entire article and adding quotes from someone in the Pacers organization that "nothing is happening". That should be easy for them to do, since that's what DW says even if something is happening.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

_PD_

Why doesn't somebody just go over there and ask them? Ask Rick Montieth about it. I won't, because I can't stand the place.

I find it disturbing that there are people who don't think this is anything to be concerend about, but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Not that these two things are equal in importance, but an analogy could be the star edited out references to WMD because there aren't any.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Jay - I agree 100%. Removing information is not journalism, it's censorship. If they wanted to refute the information, they can refute it. Or just don't post the article at all. Selectively removing passages without explanation is insulting to the readers and just bad editorship in general. I'm losing a lot of faith in the Star (not that I had much to begin with.

Maybe someone whould ask/call out montieth's q&A on this.

Volunteers?

I would leave the Star alone! They don't make trouble for us when we use whole columns, why make possible trouble for them?

I see no reason not to ask about it though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Had they taken the "high road", I think they would have printed the article as written and added a paragraph afterwards stating that Pacer officials, when contacted, stated that the Pacers have no ongoing discussions involving trades.

But I hardly think this is a major offense, certainly not near the level of Jermaine O'Neal's.

Newspapers have the responsibility of publishing things that are true if they choose to publish them at all. Conversely, they also have the responsibility of not publishing things that they know are not true, at least without some form of retraction or explanation to accompany the article.

If they had asked the Pacers to comment, that would have been very responsible and actually smart.

Instead, someone chose to take the lazy way out and just "edit out" Pacers references. That is both lazy and a little, at least, dishonest.

I can't help get the impression I don't want to have: The sports staff has a higher priority on getting along than getting it right.

I totally disagree with Will's position. The Star had two options here and they made up a 3rd.

Either run the article as written or get additional input from the Pacers to add to the article to refute it... or at least dredge up a recent quote where the Pacers have said something about not planning any trades....

I'd probably have no real problem if they ran PART of the article and deleted a later paragraph where the Pacers were mentioned if the paragraphs were unrelated. IOW- run the first half but not the second half.... as long as nothing else is used after the deleted paragraph.

I do have a problem when the Pacers (or Pacer) are included in a list of teams and selectively removed.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Guess today's story in the Star about the talks with Toronto proves that AP writer Sheridan had it right about the Pacers participating in trade talks. Makes the Star's action yesterday look even more foolish. Hope the person responsible for the lapse in judgement was sentenced to a couple of weeks working in the obituary section.

Sports Logo

The star has very little credibility in its sports section. The way they have treated Tony George with kid gloves proves that. Tony is ripe for a serious media beating but the star just does not do it. They go on pretending that the Indy 497 is still the biggest race in the world when in fact it is not even the biggest race held on that day.

_PD_

Well, let me know the date when King Tony is going to be ****slapped by the star. I'll be there with bells on.
    Let's make one thing clear. The newspaper business is just that -- a business. They're not some caped crusader enforcing justice and seeking truth. They're run by a cash register. If it's any consolation, TV news is even worse. If you doubt it, consider the last time a big advertiser was stung by a story.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by _PD_
    Well, let me know the date when King Tony is going to be ****slapped by the star. I'll be there with bells on.
    Let's make one thing clear. The newspaper business is just that -- a business. They're not some caped crusader enforcing justice and seeking truth. They're run by a cash register. If it's any consolation, TV news is even worse. If you doubt it, consider the last time a big advertiser was stung by a story.
    Didnt NBC stick dynamite into the gas tank of a Chevy truck so it would explode when hit on the side?