Most people won't give a ****, but the editors of the Indy Star sports pages hit a new low today as far as I am concerned.

They edited out references to the Indiana Pacers in a story carried on the sports page written by Phil Sheridan, an Associated Press writer, on the trading deadline this week in the NBA.

Sheridan listed the Indiana Pacers as being one of the teams most likely to be interested in a trade. He also listed Ron Artest as a player whose name is being bandied about in trade rumors.

The Star carried Sheridan's article word for word. Except, references to the Indiana Pacers and Ron Artest were deleted from the story.

Who is running the Star sports page? A former editor of Pravda?

Sheridan's actual story:

Along with the Timberwolves, the Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trail Blazers, Boston Celtics, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers are the favorites to make something happen before the league's trading deadline passes Thursday afternoon.

Sacramento's Chris Webber, New York's Kurt Thomas, Toronto's Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall, Indiana's suspended Ron Artest, Memphis' Bonzi Wells, Portland's Damon Stoudamire, Nick Van Exel and Ruben Patterson, Miami's Eddie Jones and the Lakers' Lamar Odom were among the names being bandied about in trade rumors over the weekend.
My emphasis on :Indiana Pacers and Ron Artest. Not Sheridan's.

If you care to check, you will see the Star ran the same article verbatim, except Sheridan's inclusion of the Indiana Pacers and Ron Artest were deleted.

Yuk! Extremely dishonest and insulting to Pacers fans who look to the Star for insight and information.

If the editors disagreed with Sheridan's analysis, which I do by the way, why did they bother running the article in the first place? It was, after all, mostly a summary of trade rumors that anyone of us who follows the NBA daily on the Internet could have written. He broke no new ground.

I originally wrote that this is a relatively small matter. But, after additional review, I really don't believe that. If a newspaper sports section has no credibility on something insignificant like this, what the heck will it do when faced with something important where honest reporting is needed.

I try not to be a cynic. But what the Star sports editors did to Sheridan's story was incredibly stupid and wrong. They at least owe their readers an apology. And the person responsible for the deletions deserves a suspension without pay at least as long as that given Jermaine O'Neal.

As far as I am concerned, what the Star did, given their responsibility in the community, was worse than Ron Artest going into the stands in a fit of rage after a drunken fan.