Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jalen Rose (kind of) gave a shot at Reggie

Exclamation Jalen Rose (kind of) gave a shot at Reggie

I don't know how to embedded the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KIKJSP0adg

When talking about the coming conference finals, he picks OKC to win it all.
    The reason behind it, KD being a great leader by appreciating his teammates, showing in his MVP speech.

As an example, he talked about his DNPs in Larry Brown's area, and
    him NOT being appreciated by Reggie.

I don't feel Jalen having a whining personality, instead I think he underplay it.

Combing with facts like Reggie being a little bit cold to Indy after his retirement and comparing his bro-ship with Mark Jackson,
    there is a part of personality in Reggie and a part of the relationship of the 2000 finals team that is new to me.

Well, to me at least.
    Last edited by Sherlock; 05-17-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Default Re: Jalen Rose (kind of) gave a shot at Reggie

I picked OKC before the playoffs started but now that Ibaka's out.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I understand that Jalen's job is to talk and be outrageous so I pay him no attention for the most part.

But all you have to do to understand why many of us didn't like the guy when he was here is listen to him talk about his time as a Pacer. Self absorbed over important gas bag.

I'm glad he knows he never made the all-star team, he never deserved to.

Also Jalen one of the greatest moments of my life was when you scored your 39th & 40th point off of free throws and the entire time the crowd was chanting Reg gie Reg gie Reg gie!!! The look on your face was priceless and your comment after the game about how one of the greatest moments of your life was ruined by people chanting for someone else. That's because everyone in attendance knew that Reggie went out of his way to stop shooting and kept feeding you the ball just so you could hit 40.

Listening to you here it is no wonder none of the players of that team give you a second thought.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Didn't Jalen Rose call one of the pacersdigest members an idiot I think it was peewee when he actually had screwed up and should have directed his anger towards naptown Seth over the topic of whether or not Jalen was a point guard that thread was legendary level of funny.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand that Jalen's job is to talk and be outrageous so I pay him no attention for the most part.

But all you have to do to understand why many of us didn't like the guy when he was here is listen to him talk about his time as a Pacer. Self absorbed over important gas bag.

Also Jalen one of the greatest moments of my life was when you scored your 39th & 40th point off of free throws and the entire time the crowd was chanting Reg gie Reg gie Reg gie!!! The look on your face was priceless and your comment after the game about how one of the greatest moments of your life was ruined by people chanting for someone else. That's because everyone in attendance knew that Reggie went out of his way to stop shooting and kept feeding you the ball just so you could hit 40.

Listening to you here it is no wonder none of the players of that team give you a second thought.
    He was a Fab 5 remember? There were no members of the Fab 5 I could stomach (and I'm a Michigan fan remember)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Still a million times more palatable as an announcer than CWebb. That guys just sucks. Not that big of a fan of Reggie either as a color guy. Although I can't really stand any of them outside Hubie. Personally glad Kerr is going into coaching so I no longer have to listen to his stuffy, self-righteous blather.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    He was a Fab 5 remember? There were no members of the Fab 5 I could stomach (and I'm a Michigan fan remember)
    Juwan Howard
    Jalen Rose
    Chris Webber
    Jimmy King
    Ray Jackson

Kinda surprising a Michigan fan didn't know that.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I always loved Jalen when he was here...of course, I was like 14 or 15 at the time during his run with the Pacers, so I wasn't paying attention to the interwebz like I do now.

@Pacers24Colts12

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacers13Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I was fairly young for those teams, but even my 12 year old self though Reggie got WAY too much credit for as good as those teams were. That's not a Reggie knock, it's a knock on "points!"

Undefeated

I could see Reggie being annoying. Hell, you only have to listen to him as a commentator or watch that damn Kia commercial once....
    Danger Zone

Rose has shown far more love, affection, and dap towards Indy and the Pacers in his post-playing days than Reggie ever has. Unlike Reggie, Rose doesn't mind showing some open love for the place where he spent the best years of his career.

Rose is one of my favorite Pacers ever and I was surprised at how many people disliked him when I first started posting here almost 11 years ago. It's no coincidence that the one year the Pacers made the Finals was the one year in which they finally had a big scoring threat outside of Reggie. Prior to 2000, the Pacers really never had another player who could consistently put up 20 points a game in the playoffs and alleviate some of the pressure from Reggie. The only year where Reggie had a serious number 2 scoring threat alongside him was in 1995 when Rik Smits averaged 20 PPG in the playoffs and absolutely shredded Patrick Ewing in the semi finals. Unfortunately, we ran into one of the best offense teams of the era when we played Orlando in the ECF's.

By the late 90's, Smits was old and injuries were creeping up. We didn't have another player who could score 20 a game until Jalen came along in 2000. Reggie finally had a legit number 2 alongside him who could take a ton of the scoring pressure and defensive attention away from him. Almost every team that gets to the Finals has at least two players who are capable of consistently putting up 20 points a game when needed. Aside from 1995, the Pacers never had that until Rose blossomed in 2000. And that just happened to be the year the Pacers made the Finals. No coincidence at all.

To me, Rosey is a Pacer forever.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.

18. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I dont get the hate. Rose didn't come off as selfish to me, he was just explaining how it was. He even said, Reggie doesn't owe me anything.

Jalen was easily my favorite Pacer back in the day. He was kind of the Lance of those late 90s Pacer teams--a lightening rod. His game was the reason we finally got over that ECF hump. He played damn well in the finals also. I always felt that he kind of got the shaft when he was here, but we couldn't pass up Artest/Brad Miller.

His post playing love for the Pacers and Indy has been great. I love Grantland and he gives great perspective. He's definitely shown more love for our franchise and our city than the great Reggie Miller
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 05-17-2014 at 11:36 AM.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

There's nothing "kind of" about it. He pretty much gave it to Reggie and I agree pretty much everything he said...I loved Rose as a player when he was here and he's a very good commentator also. At least he knows what he's talking about...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timid For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Juwan Howard
    Jalen Rose
    Chris Webber
    Jimmy King
    Ray Jackson

???? I'm not a fan of any of them.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Rose has shown far more love, affection, and dap towards Indy and the Pacers in his post-playing days than Reggie ever has. Unlike Reggie, Rose doesn't mind showing some open love for the place where he spent the best years of his career.

To me, Rosey is a Pacer forever.
    Tru dat.... I didn't like him at the time though because he spent way to much time jawing the refs when he should have been getting back on defense.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Juwan Howard
    Jalen Rose
    Chris Webber
    Jimmy King
    Ray Jackson

wanna read what geezer said again?

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post

Eh I appreciate Jalen's contributions that being said I've never been a fan of his dating back to his Michigan days and I too hated the Fab 5 so I was thrilled they never won anything.

However I believe him when it comes to Reggie. I think Reggie isn't as attached to the city of Indy as other former athletes and that's fine with me.

Definitely sensed some slightly misplaced bitterness from Jalen there but other than long getting long-winded it wasn't extreme. I can also see Reggie being loyal to Jackson to a fault and since Rose wanted to play point guard it probably showed in the relationship.

My biggest issue with Rose was that he was a Two who thought he was a One and with the make-up of the team had to play a lot of time at the Three. At the Three he was often a defensive liability and generally a poor rebounder. Offensively though Rose was really smooth and IMO underrated by too many fans. His versatility, ability to score from many places on the floor and ability to set-up teammates allowed those late 90's Pacer teams to "out execute" other teams on their way to whole a lot of playoff wins. In 1999 & 2000 I thought Rose was way more important to those teams offensive efficiency than Mark Jackson ever was.

Why does Rose always hold the bat in these things?
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 05-17-2014 at 02:44 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure what more you guys expect from Reg, the dude spent his whole career here. If you guys had the choice of having a nice home in Malibu or spending last winter here.... which would you pick?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    wanna read what geezer said again?
    I have to admit I'm suffering a migrane today but I don't get what you are driving at. I said Jalen Rose was a member of the Fab 5 and even though I'm a Michigan (football) fan, I couldn't stand any of the Fab 5. What am I missing?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PaceBalls View Post
    I'm not sure what more you guys expect from Reg, the dude spent his whole career here. If you guys had the choice of having a nice home in Malibu or spending last winter here.... which would you pick?
    Indiana, but I'm not from California.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure what more you guys expect from Reg, the dude spent his whole career here.
    Some indication that he spent his whole career here.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Oh I don't blame him one bit for not living in Indy. If I had his bank account, I'd be living on a beach too. However, I wish that he showed a bit more love to the organization itself. Since retiring, he just hasn't ever outwardly showed much love to the Pacers. I guess part of it is that he tries very hard to be seen as an objective commentator, but I don't think that people would fault him if he showed a little Pacer love every now and then. He doesn't even allow the gift shop to sell his jersey with the other retros.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Agree 100%. IMHO, players like Jalen Rose do not have any concept of team, playing in a system, playing defense. He was always about himself and never about TEAM. I never liked him as a player but he is fun in that studio. What Larry Brown did for our franchise and those players (Davises, Reggie, Smits) is invaluable. I do not like basektball players like Jalen myself and I am glad Larry Brown thought the same way. I will take one Derek Mckey's or one Haywood Workman over 10 Jalen Roses. Dumb Donnie gave him a max contract - puzzles me to this day. Basketball is not just about scoring, there is lot of intangibles none of which Jalen has.

In the podcast, I just see an old bitter man who still hears chants of Reggie, Reggie when he was making them 39th and 40th free throws in that game and generally over his career. And he sucked at playing the point BTW. He never played defense, pouted and complained to the refs all the time.

Reggie is a commentator and supposed to be neutral. He can't openly root for his former team. Patrick Ewing does not cry a tear for the Knicks now not does MJ wake up in the night about Derek Rose's injuries. I am not sure what the expectation here is.
    User Thingfish said -

"Great season guys, it's a progression. 10-11 - first round vs Bulls, 11-12 - 2nd round vs Heat, 12-13 - ECF vs Heat, 13-14 - Finals "

Mood

I have always felt Reggie was going above and beyond to show he wasn't being a homer. I find no fault with him.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post: