Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jermaine thinks the Pacers are going to the playoffs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jermaine thinks the Pacers are going to the playoffs

Nobody can sense sarcasm these days.......well, except for Able.

Guarenteeing that your team will finish among the top 8 in the eastern freaking conference isn't even worth the oxygen to say it.

Make a guarentee that is a CHALLENGE to yourself and your teamates. Making the playoffs seems like an incredibly low standard to set.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As a player, you're supposed to have confidence in achieving your goal. If he doubts they're going to make the playoffs, then most likely they won't make the playoffs. When you believe, you play harder. It's just human nature to work harder for things you believe will happen.

I don't get your logic. You'd rather him say that getting a ring is still the ultimate goal, but you don't like him saying that they will make the playoffs.....
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a player, you're supposed to have confidence in achieving your goal. If he doubts they're going to make the playoffs, then most likely they won't make the playoffs. When you believe, you play harder. It's just human nature to work harder for things you believe will happen.

I don't get your logic. You'd rather him say that getting a ring is still the ultimate goal, but you don't like him saying that they will make the playoffs.....
    Because I think guaranteeing the playoffs is a pretty weak prediction.

Thats like Duncan guaranteeing the Spurs would be in the second round.....

guarentee more than the freaking playoffs, JO. If that's the furthest you have the confidence in going, then clearly you aren't worth what they're paying you...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Make a guarentee that is a CHALLENGE to yourself and your teamates. Making the playoffs seems like an incredibly low standard to set.
    I don't know the records off the top of my head, but when you're currently in the middle of a fight to get that 8th spot, it might not be a low standard.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Because I think guaranteeing the playoffs is a pretty weak prediction.

Thats like Duncan guaranteeing the Spurs would be in the second round.....
    That would be a terrible upset if it didn't happen. It's not by anymeans a stretch to see the pacers not making the playoffs. There are more than 8 teams in the east playing better than them right now.

I don't know the records off the top of my head, but when you're currently in the middle of a fight to get that 8th spot, it might not be a low standard.
    In a fight with who? Boston? Philly?

You seriously think the Pacers should consider those two rivals (all due respect to DD)?

You seriously think the Pacers should consider those two rivals (all due respect to DD)?
    What level are the Pacers on in your eyes?

woman without a team

guarentee more than the freaking playoffs, JO. If that's the furthest you have the confidence in going, then clearly you aren't worth what they're paying you...
    Exactly how far do you think the Pacers are going to go?

That would be a terrible upset if it didn't happen. It's not by anymeans a stretch to see the pacers not making the playoffs. There are more than 8 teams in the east playing better than them right now.

If the Pacers don't make the playoffs, they should just trade the entire team and build around artest, since clearly without him they go from 61 wins to the lottery. Obviously, in that scenario, JO isn't worth a hill of beans, since I'm sure they could miss the playoffs without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    What level are the Pacers on in your eyes?
    Thats irrelevant. I'm talking about the level they see THEMSELVES at.

The Pacers have too much talent to be missing the playoffs in the weak east. I could see them finishing low at #7 or #8 and getting booted in round 1, but they have NO excuse to just not make the playoffs. Just making it shouldn't be a goal, even at this point. They started the season looking at the finals, that should STILL be a goal today. They have no excuse to give up simply because they don't have Artest, who wasn't even considered to be their BEST PLAYER.

I think JO SHOULD step up and start talking tough. I just think that some of his teamates might look at his guarentee and wonder about his confidence in them.....

And I'm asking where you think they are. Not to make a point about above, just in to know.

The Pacers have too much talent to be missing the playoffs in the weak east. I could see them finishing low at #7 or #8 and getting booted in round 1, but they have NO excuse to just not make the playoffs. Just making it shouldn't be a goal, even at this point.
    What should the realistic goal be? 6th?

Well call me crazy but their records are nearly identical.........And considering that one of them are guarunteed a spot. NJ could very easily come into play as well. That's 4 teams trying to get 2 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    And I'm asking where you think they are. Not to make a point about above, just in to know.

What should the realistic goal be? 6th?
    Absolutely.

The Pacers, as they are now, are DEFINATELY good enough to catch Orlando.

Washington probably has too big of a lead on them, but #6 is certainly a goal they can achieve. They'd even have home court advantage, in all likelyhood.

And in that scenario, they should be very able to make it to round 2.

Most of all, this team desperately needs to prove that Ron Artest doesn't make or break them.

woman without a team

I know players are supposed to have confidence. I know he's just trying to rally the team (and probably get the season ticket holders to pony up for next year). I'm just saying I don't happen to like it.

As for my (female) logic I don't expect many people on here would get it.

If Jermaine came to me and said he wanted a sound bite to give the media I'd have told him just the part about having to play harder to ensure we make it into the playoffs. He's say he had to say something more. I'd add the thing about the ring because in order to get to the finals you have to be in the playoffs.

The Pacers have too much talent to be missing the playoffs in the weak east. I could see them finishing low at #7 or #8 and getting booted in round 1, but they have NO excuse to just not make the playoffs. Just making it shouldn't be a goal, even at this point. They started the season looking at the finals, that should STILL be a goal today. They have no excuse to give up simply because they don't have Artest, who wasn't even considered to be their BEST PLAYER.

I think JO SHOULD step up and start talking tough. I just think that some of his teamates might look at his guarentee and wonder about his confidence in them.....
    You spend all this time on this board, and you haven't figured out yet that "talent" really doesn't matter yet? Bender would be a way above player if "talent" alone put him there. "Talent" isn't getting them Ws right now.

Well call me crazy but their records are nearly identical.........And considering that one of them are guarunteed a spot. NJ could very easily come into play as well. That's 4 teams trying to get 2 spots.
    And if you finish the season behind them, the 2nd half of your season will have been an utter failure on so many levels.

JO will also take a lot of heat. A max player worthy of his salary would be able to make the playoffs.

And if you finish the season behind them, the 2nd half of your season will have been an utter failure on so many levels.

JO will also take a lot of heat. A max player worthy of his salary would be able to make the playoffs.
    The last part of the first half was a failure, obviously the first part was as well. Things just don't drop into place all at once. Do I think they can get the 6th seed? Yes. Are they going to? I don't know. Are they playing like they should be in the playoffs? No.......

Saying they will make the playoffs when in reality if they started today they wouldn't be in, isn't a low standard. It's above where they're at now.

You spend all this time on this board, and you haven't figured out yet that "talent" really doesn't matter yet? Bender would be a way above player if "talent" alone put him there. "Talent" isn't getting them Ws right now.
    You're talking about potential. I'm talking about talent.

JO is the most talented big man in the east not named shaq.

Tinsley is probably the best floor general in the east aside from Kidd and maybe Francis.

Jax, while I still don't like him, is still better than average.

Harrison and Foster are very effective centers on different sides of the floor.

And despite it all, and Pacer have an excellent bench, with Freddie, AJ (who has played WELL beyond expectations) James and Croshere, who can't walk and chew gum, but can still hit an open three.

top to bottom, the Pacers still have a better roster than all but 4 or 5 teams in the east.

The last part of the first half was a failure, obviously the first part was as well. Things just don't drop into place all at once. Do I think they can get the 6th seed? Yes. Are they going to? I don't know. Are they playing like they should be in the playoffs? No.......

Saying they will make the playoffs when in reality if they started today they wouldn't be in, isn't a low standard. It's above where they're at now.
    If they were 6 games out, then I'd agree. But they're what, half a game out? Thats nothing.

You're talking about potential. I'm talking about talent.

JO is the most talented big man in the east not named shaq.

Tinsley is probably the best floor general in the east aside from Kidd and maybe Francis.

Jax, while I still don't like him, is still better than average.

Harrison and Foster are very effective centers on different sides of the floor.

And despite it all, and Pacer have an excellent bench, with Freddie, AJ (who has played WELL beyond expectations) James and Croshere, who can't walk and chew gum, but can still hit an open three.

top to bottom, the Pacers still have a better roster than all but 4 or 5 teams in the east.
    No, I'm not talking "talent." Talent wise they should be #3/4. When other pacers talk about Bender, it's always how good he is, not about his potential.

Yes they do have a better roster, but other teams have better teams. Rosters alone don't win. Obviously, or LA would of won last year. Just because they should be there, doesn't mean they will. How can you not understand this?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Most of all, this team desperately needs to prove that Ron Artest doesn't make or break them.
    I think you said it right there.

No, I'm not talking "talent." Talent wise they should be #3/4. When other pacers talk about Bender, it's always how good he is, not about his potential.

Yes they do have a better roster, but other teams have better teams. Rosters alone don't win. Obviously, or LA would of won last year. Just because they should be there, doesn't mean they will. How can you not understand this?
    If I'm paying my star player $120 million and he ISN'T there, then apparently I spent my money unwisely.

Ultimately, this falls on JO. And the NBA is still a star-driven league. JO may not will his team to the championship, but he needs to start bashing heads in the locker room, and make sure everybody is back on the same page for the stretch run.

I say this because JO can't let himself become another KG, who is a great talent but has no idea how to lead a team. If JO is so in awe of Reggie Miller, then he should get his team to play better. Philly and Boston are hardly great "teams." (again, sorry DD) Boston is awful defensively, and Philly is still just the Allen Iverson show. So don't say that the Pacers aren't a better "team" than they are, because teamwork isn't a strength of either one.

If I'm paying my star player $120 million and he ISN'T there, then apparently I spent my money unwisely.

Ultimately, this falls on JO. And the NBA is still a star-driven league. JO may not will his team to the championship, but he needs to start bashing heads in the locker room, and make sure everybody is back on the same page for the stretch run.

I say this because JO can't let himself become another KG, who is a great talent but has no idea how to lead a team. If JO is so in awe of Reggie Miller, then he should get his team to play better. Philly and Boston are hardly great "teams." (again, sorry DD) Boston is awful defensively, and Philly is still just the Allen Iverson show. So don't say that the Pacers aren't a better "team" than they are, because teamwork isn't a strength of either one.
    This goes from funny to hilarious. It's going to be JO's fault if they don't make the playoffs because he's a star? What bout Baron Davis? Michael Redd? Stephen Marbury? Melo AND Kmart? Elton Brand?

Atleast Philly is actually winning......It may be just the AI show. Right now it's just the JO show and they aren't winning.........

Key word=WINNING. Philly is and they're in right now, Pacers aren't and right now they're out.

EDIT: Philly has beat the Pacers TWICE.

This goes from funny to hilarious. It's going to be JO's fault if they don't make the playoffs because he's a star? What bout Baron Davis? Michael Redd? Stephen Marbury? Melo AND Kmart? Elton Brand?

Atleast Philly is actually winning......It may be just the AI show. Right now it's just the JO show and they aren't winning.........

Key word=WINNING. Philly is and they're in right now, Pacers aren't and right now they're out.

EDIT: Philly has beat the Pacers TWICE.
    I don't see Brand, Redd or KMart making or demanding max contracts. JO wanted that kind of money, now he's gotta play like he's worth it. Expectations go up with the contract you sign.

KMart isn't worth what he was paid, but everyone knew that the day he was signed.

Look at it this way: Donnie looks over his bottom line this year vs last year, sees how much he's paying guys that, minus one player, couldn't make a freaking 8th seed, and he's asking himself, "what am I paying these guys for?"

And actually, I believe Philly has beaten Indiana THREE times.......

I don't see Brand, Redd or KMart making or demanding max contracts. JO wanted that kind of money, now he's gotta play like he's worth it. Expectations go up with the contract you sign.

KMart isn't worth what he was paid, but everyone knew that the day he was signed.

Look at it this way: Donnie looks over his bottom line this year vs last year, sees how much he's paying guys that, minus one player, couldn't make a freaking 8th seed, and he's asking himself, "what am I paying these guys for?"

And actually, I believe Philly has beaten Indiana THREE times.......
    Are you out of contact with the rest of the world besides PD and whatever the Pistons do? Besides the last 3 games for the pacers, due to him being hurt, JO has been playing like a player worth a max contract....... Just because you give a player a max contract, he doesn't guaruntee making the playoffs.

Three times only makes it that much worse.

I'm handing out facts, and your giving me shoulds. Should isn't the question. It's whether they can change the facts.