Thread: Gary Payton trade rumors, so what else is new?

Default Pacers interested in Payton?

http://www.boston.com/sports/article...hool_ties?pg=3

"The Pacers would take Payton, but, again, unless you want Austin Croshere, it looks like a long shot. There is a possible three-way involving Seattle, Indiana, and Boston that would land Payton in Pacerville and bring Ainge fave Robert Swift to Boston. But the Sonics would have to take Jiri Welsch from Boston and a big body from Indiana. In other words, another long shot. Indiana also is loath to surrender a No. 1 pick, which Ainge might demand." Boston Herald
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Default Re: Pacers interested in Payton?

Payton! Why? He's had a horrible year.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Post Gary Payton trade rumors, so what else is new?

There must be some rule that says that this rumor has to resurface every trade deadline...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...l_ties?mode=PF

BASKETBALL NOTES
    Maintaining school ties
    By Peter May - February 20, 2005

• Where is this Payton business going?

OK, so where is Gary Payton going? We're four days away from the trading deadline and, for now, all is quiet. Payton has been indispensable to the Celtics, so it may be that Danny Ainge will ride out 2004-05 and worry about next season when next season arrives. There also may be a feeling among ownership that a playoff berth is desirable -- hint, hint -- and that the Celtics will have a hard time getting there if Payton is dealt. (Do you really want to see Marcus Banks running the show the rest of the way?)

But we also know that Ainge will not be passing out banners and hats if the Celtics win the Atlantic Division with a 42-40 or 43-39 record. All that means is they're marginally better than four other lousy teams. He wants this team to be an annual Eastern contender, and if trading Payton gets him closer to that goal, my feeling is he won't hesitate. Here are some places where Payton might fit, with the proposed deals in no way reflective of anything other than the fact that they make some small amount of sense and work under the cap.

MINNESOTA: Now that Kevin McHale is on a two-game winning streak, is everything better? Not really. As Bill Fitch noted last week, "They've got a superstar who's not playing all that super. They have two guys who talk and don't walk and are impossible to trade. They have two guys who play offense and can't play defense. I'd be serving hard time if I had had to coach that team the last two weeks." Payton himself brought up Minnesota as one possible landing place, but the Wolves really have nothing anyone wants. If he does end up there, it'd have to part of a three-way trade.

SACRAMENTO: Another team Payton mentioned. Again, though, they don't have what Ainge wants, unless you count Greg Ostertag. Didn't think so. The Kings could use Payton to shore up their bench, but, again, it would have to be part of a three-way.

INDIANA: The Pacers would take Payton, but, again, unless you want Austin Croshere, it looks like a long shot. There is a possible three-way involving Seattle, Indiana, and Boston that would land Payton in Pacerville and bring Ainge fave Robert Swift to Boston. But the Sonics would have to take Jiri Welsch from Boston and a big body from Indiana. In other words, another long shot. Indiana also is loath to surrender a No. 1 pick, which Ainge might demand.

I just can't see this happening, but then again, with Danny Ainge you never know what that wingnut might do at trading time
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Gary Payton trade rumors, so what else is new?

i said it yesterday but you didn't listen: Silas Enwood

And really, if we got him, what would we do with him? We have a current all-star level PG in Tinsley, so do you bench him, or the future HOF who would ***** about it if you asked him to?

I see that another thread has been started on this but I can't seem to delete this one...

I'll just merge them, BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i said it yesterday but you didn't listen: Silas Enwood
    I'm just spelling it the way the closed captioning on my TV spelled it when I was trying to figure out the character's name

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I'll just merge them, BC.
    Thanks Hicks!

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Tinsley and Payton on the same team? Based upon their continual barking matches in previous contests, I dunno how well that'd work if they were on the same team playing the same position...
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

well i'm just spelling it right. search for silas inwood on google and it will probably say "Did you mean Silas Enwood?"

Mood

well its as both. whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    Tinsley and Payton on the same team? Based upon their continual barking matches in previous contests, I dunno how well that'd work if they were on the same team playing the same position...
    Now that I wouldn't worry about because I know they respect each other; so much so that a year or so ago when Gary was asked which young PG would be the next to step up as one of the best in the league, he said Jamaal Tinsley. And they'd have more than one run-in on the court at that point.

Enwood, Inwood, Artest, whatever

Back to the thread topic, GP hasn't really been that horrible for Boston this year (not great by GP standards though), but I don't really see the Pacers wanting to add him anyway. I'd much rather have a healthy Tins for the rest of the season than anything else.

Mood

i really don't want to trade one of our bigs for gary. i don't think our backup pg spot is as horrid as you guys think, and i definitely don't want to give up tins. So i don't see the point of this trade. If we make a trade, we need to really overhaul the team and get rid of ron and get a top tier player. thats the only thing that would make sense at this point. The team as it is with ron, will be a force next season.

The only thing that really made me pay attention to this particular rumor was the multi-team aspect of the proposed trade. Now normally the likelihood of a trade happening goes down the more teams are said to be involved. But after seeing how Ainge isn't afraid to do multiple team trades, IMO he's really a wild card again in the trade deadline this season.

I dont think Jamaal or Gary would like backing each other up

We need a backup PG, but it's down the list of priorities. And as many have mentioned above, getting someone who would demand a starting spot would be a waste of time, unless they're significantly better than Tins - which at this point in his career Payton isn't.

Never gonna happen. He would have to back up Tinsley, and he and Tins seem to have a bit of tension between them as it is.

With that said, I'd trade Cro and a second rounder for him. Even at this point in his career, he's an upgrade over AJ, and we're already stocked up front w/JO, Polly, Foster, and Hulk. And we could always bring back DD, too...

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    We need a backup PG, but it's down the list of priorities. And as many have mentioned above, getting someone who would demand a starting spot would be a waste of time, unless they're significantly better than Tins - which at this point in his career Payton isn't.
    Why is it down the list of priorities? Once Ron comes back, we're pretty much 2-3 deep at every position but the 1.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was one of the people that desperately wanted Payton here as the 2003 deadline was approaching. Keep in mind that 2 years ago, Gary Payton was still a top 3 scorer. I really wanted him on the Pacers.

Now though, Tinsley is a better player.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I wouldn't mind bringing in The Glove at all, certainly if the price is Croshere or AJ are included.

Gary would be a VERY nice insurance policy in case Tins breaks down with an injury or something. OTOH this sort of trade only makes real sense if you expect us to make something close to a splash this season, which I don't see us doing, so I wouldn't do it unless we were sure Ron would be back before the seasons end ... in other words this is NOT going to happen I would say.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

There's another way a 3-way could work: The third team could bring in Payton and we could get their point guard.

I'd move Austin just to move him, at this point. It's better for him, and it's better for us. He'll never get the PT he needs backin up Jermaine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys can't have him. According to someone on a Kings board, he's coming to Sacramento. I have absolutely no idea what we'd do with him, but it was posted on our site so it must be true.